The Give a Day Thread~Share Your Experience

mouselovenfamily

DIS Veteran
Hopefully this isn't started somewhere else. I didn't see a thread for just sharing so I thought I would start one.

This is a wonderful thing to see so many people want to help out! Disney has really got people moving.

I just signed up this morning. It was hard to find something our entire family can do together with a 13 year old. Most opportunities in the area are taken or only needing two people or so. We have a group of eight with our neighbors and were all wanting to do something together. I've signed up and will await my confirmation e-mail. I hope we get on the list!!! Seeing problems people are having, I may end up calling the place before the 5 day grace peroid to be sure we get to do it. So excited!!!

I signed up last week to make blankets for the local NH chapter of Project Linus. I found the sign up process pretty easy, and the NH PL coordinator got back to me almost immediately and was super responsive to my questions.

I signed up DH and myself and our local chapter's requirements are one blanket donation per person and you can either deliver or mail to the coordinator.

We have one blanket done, and one underway. Being a longtime crafter, they're actually a lot of fun to make and I may make some extras to send. Gives me an outlet for the crafting bug without filling up my house with stuff *I* don't need. ;)

PLEASE NOTE: Project Linus requirements are set by each individual chapter. Some require more blankets per person, making them at a set time/location, and/or delivering them in person. If you're doing this through another chapter, confirm with them exactly what they require before you sign up. :thumbsup2

I have had a less then easy time so far. I signed up on Jan 1st and by Jan 2nd heard back, had a date, time loaction and even how to dress. A few days later I was emailed and told our service was no longer needed. Since then I have been turned down for a second oppertunity nad have not heard back for easily 20 more as far as 2 hours away. Not many want our youngest DD. We do some volunteering on our own but were hoping to do this as well. I check back daily as more are being offered, but at this point if we get a certificate it will be a bonus but aren't expecing one. We are however looking in to more volunteering with our kids seperate from the Disney promotion.

Having said all that I still think it is a great promotion but are sad that we have been turned down and really do not understand why. :confused3

I have had a less then easy time so far. I signed up on Jan 1st and by Jan 2nd heard back, had a date, time loaction and even how to dress. A few days later I was emailed and told our service was no longer needed. Since then I have been turned down for a second oppertunity nad have not heard back for easily 20 more as far as 2 hours away. Not many want our youngest DD. We do some volunteering on our own but were hoping to do this as well. I check back daily as more are being offered, but at this point if we get a certificate it will be a bonus but aren't expecing one. We are however looking in to more volunteering with our kids seperate from the Disney promotion.

Having said all that I still think it is a great promotion but are sad that we have been turned down and really do not understand why. :confused3

I've had a similar experience. We were turned down for two opportunities (they had already filled the spots and this was on Jan 2nd!). There really don't seem to be many opportunities near us. Most are at least 1 1/2-2 hours away. I'm a little bummed as I thought it would be a good experience to volunteer with my family with the added bonus of tickets to WDW. Oh, well. We'll just continue to volunteer at our local food pantry where the only reward is knowing that we've touched people's lives. I'm ok with that. :)

Hopefully this isn't started somewhere else. I didn't see a thread for just sharing so I thought I would start one.

This is a wonderful thing to see so many people want to help out! Disney has really got people moving.

I just signed up this morning. It was hard to find something our entire family can do together with a 13 year old. Most opportunities in the area are taken or only needing two people or so. We have a group of eight with our neighbors and were all wanting to do something together. I've signed up and will await my confirmation e-mail. I hope we get on the list!!! Seeing problems people are having, I may end up calling the place before the 5 day grace peroid to be sure we get to do it. So excited!!!

Our experience was good - we signed up to work at a local food bank. We got an email with our vouchers a little less than a week later.

On another thread, there have been a number of people signed up with an unspecified date and time and who not hear back from the organization within 5 days. I would not hesitate to contact the organization. Good luck!

I think this is a wonderful program as well.

Are you able to sign up for more than one opportunity or do you wait to be declined before you look for something else???

I've had a similar experience. We were turned down for two opportunities (they had already filled the spots and this was on Jan 2nd!). There really don't seem to be many opportunities near us. Most are at least 1 1/2-2 hours away. I'm a little bummed as I thought it would be a good experience to volunteer with my family with the added bonus of tickets to WDW. Oh, well. We'll just continue to volunteer at our local food pantry where the only reward is knowing that we've touched people's lives. I'm ok with that. :)

Yep, us too, and we are good with that too! :thumbsup2

Got my voucher! Did the service last week and got back my email voucher within the week! (This time frame may not be the norm....is up to organizer to get the time to verify volunteers )

I did mine with my son. Almost any activity that is family based u may be able to bring those under 6.... they will just not get a ticket but still have a great time joining the activity. Just drop them an email, u get a email address of the organizer once u register.

Ours was also scheduled from 9-3...but it only took 1 1/2 hours...it would have been less if there wasn't a back flow of people registering.

In most cases the activity is only for a couple of hours. The long time frame stated allows for all the people to come thru and complete project. I kinda figured that b4 hand bc there was no way they can expect a 6yr old to work for 6 hours.

Happy Volunteering!

Also if any one gets a chance....I am curious to see the "Collectible Ear Hat figurine with exclusive trading pins" as one of the options. Anyone choose that and got a pic I would appreciate it!

:thumbsup2

I signed up, and received a confirming email. Two days before the event, I received an email reminding me to show up. I drove 40 minutes to the location of my assignment. I found the person in charge and said, "I'm here to volunteer." I got a blank stare with no response. I then said, "I signed up through the Disney give a day program." I was then told nobody had any idea I was coming. I cleaned up some garbage for about 15 minutes, but that was it. I went back inside and they told me, and two other people who showed up, to go home.

Kind of a bummer, but I will sign up somewhere else for another project.

So far so good. Got a confirmation tonight to work a project from an event scheduler...even though it's Sunday. Hopefully it works well for everyone else.

We completed our service yesterday at a museum. We made superballs and slime for about 3.5 hours. The shift was four hours but, we stood around for a half hour waiting for staff to help us. We volunteered with a girl who is going down next week to do a second round on the college program. For the day there were 12 volunteers for the Disney program.

I have had a hard time finding something within 1 1/2 hours driving distance for my family. Both of my girls are under 10. Everything I come across says 0 volunteers needed.

I just got a call from the event coordinator this morning & will be helping to stuff envelopes at a women's & children's shelter on Thursday from 9am-1pm. Can't wait!

Our family has completed the voulenteering process. We received our vouchers today. We did Project Linus. It was wonderful. Everything moved smoothly and quickly.
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

It seems like alot of people are having problems finding volunteer opportunities. I e-mailed two and only heard form one so we will be doing it this weekend.

We signed up with Project Linus. We are making our 5 blankets this weekend and delivering them next week. We're not going till May so that should be plenty of time to get the vouchers. I'm happy we found something that all of us could do together! :cutie:

We don't have any Project Linus opportunities listed- dang! I went out as far as 40 miles from my ZIP code and there's very little available. Most are saying they need 0 volunteers. I did email two, and only one got back to me, saying they had only weekday hours available. Since we are at work/ class all day, that's no good.
I just emailed Habitat for Humanity, who say they need Saturday volunteers, but it's freezing winter here and we have tickets to West Palm Beach on Feb. 28 (to see my folks, who have Disney AP's) so I'm doubtful we'll get this done before we go.
The real kicker is that I already to a LOT of community service, but they aren't registered for this program. I do understand, though, that Disney has to have a system in place to monitor everyone's activities. It would be chaos if you just had to have an organization "vouch" for your services.

i got in touch with someone about the "making blankets" program, they require 6 blankets. When i went to sign up through the disney site, it wouldnt let me sign up my son who is 16. i looked for another opportunity and found the blossom program. we will be donating toiletries, toys and the like. i signed both of us up successfully and am awaiting the "suggested items" list.

i will update as the process goes along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter