The Give a Day Thread~Share Your Experience

Are you able to sign up for more than one opportunity or do you wait to be declined before you look for something else???

I signed up for about 5 last night - I heard back from three of them today - and signed our family up for one of them once I had the day/time arrangements made.

Tammy

We are inthe midst of Project linus. We bought our fabric today. I told them we would have them turned in by January 23rd. I'm not very crafty, so I may make my husband do the cutting! He is much better than I am at that sort of thing!;)

I just signed my DBf and myself up for GAD doing a Habitat for Humanity project on March 6th in Bedford, MA. I'm so excited!! Is anyone else doing the same project?:goodvibes

I just signed my DBf and myself up for GAD doing a Habitat for Humanity project on March 6th in Bedford, MA. I'm so excited!! Is anyone else doing the same project?:goodvibes

Anyone looking for a spot on the blankets may try the Wichita, KS Grieving childrens Blanket project. You can sign up on the site by searching the Wichita Zip code (67256) and she will let you mail them in. She is very quick at getting back and very helpful. It would need to be done by the end of the month I think.

I signed up to volunteer but I don't need a ticket. We have already paid for our upcoming trip. I wounder if we could get a voucher for something else?

I signed up to volunteer but I don't need a ticket. We have already paid for our upcoming trip. I wounder if we could get a voucher for something else?

What if You Already Have a Season Pass or You've Already Purchased Multi-Day Passes for an Upcoming Trip?

You won't be able to get any money back for the dough you've already paid, nor would you be able to transfer the free ticket to anyone else, but Disney still has free goodies for you. You could choose one of the following:

* A Special Fastpass card for certain attractions for you and up to 5 additional members of your party.
* A collectible Ear Hat figurine with exclusive trading pins.
* Or you could go the altruistic route and allow Disney to donate your free ticket to a non-profit organization on your behalf.

Looked several times for something in my area and there's nothing unless we're willing to drive 2 or more hours. I have a DH who is out of projects to do and is very capable, but nothing to sign up for. Too bad.

If you sign up for a program that can have kids do they each get a voucher too for doing it with me? Or is it just me that would get it?

Because of my work hours I don't have alot of free time so I thought it would be very hard for me to find a spot. Then last night our local news was talking about it and that you can be a blood donor- hey even I have time for that! I signed up this morning- it indicates they need 150 donors every day! So check and see if your local blood bank is on this list if your having a hard time finding something you can do.
My DH and I will sign up and we are trying to find something our 15yr old can do.

Bev

We signed up on Jan 1 for a blanket project since that was the only event within 50 miles of us. We had our blanket "party" with our family. Dropped the blankets the next day and within 2 business days we got our email for our vouchers!!! For us, it was very easy :)

we're helping a Chihuahua rescue all day. Lots of dogs are arriving from CA in CO (many dogs are abandoned/given up after the novelty of the idea of the poor dog wears off). We're helping with a meet and greet to help adopt/place the animals in proper homes, walking, playing with, and feeding them. Both kids (7yrs and 10 yrs) are able to volunteer and are so excited. Our DD already volunteers at the humane society every week so this is right up our family's alley!

We did the blanket project - took an evening and an afternoon. It will be tight to get everything approved before we leave 1/29. Initially I was thinking about using the GAD voucher to help go towards upgrading the 10 day tickets we need this time to AP's and take a quick trip down after Thanksgiving to see the decorations, but I decided to take the $240 value of the one day tickets (less my supply costs) and give it to Haitian relief efforts.

We did our blankets on the 9th, dropped off on the 11th and I just went today (the 14th) to "manage my account" and my vouchers were there to print. Of course I'm out of ink so I can't print them but they are there and ready to go.

Looked several times for something in my area and there's nothing unless we're willing to drive 2 or more hours. I have a DH who is out of projects to do and is very capable, but nothing to sign up for. Too bad.

I stumbled across this at the bottom of the GAD search results page (in a blue box):
"Not finding enough opportunities? Try broadening your search. Select ALL interest areas.
Click here for information for HandsOn Network partner organizations you can contact that will have additional qualifying opportunities. "

When you "click here" a new list comes up. I was able to find a Project Linus chapter 30 minutes away opposed to 2 hours.:goodvibes

I stumbled across this at the bottom of the GAD search results page (in a blue box):
"Not finding enough opportunities? Try broadening your search. Select ALL interest areas.
Click here for information for HandsOn Network partner organizations you can contact that will have additional qualifying opportunities. "

When you "click here" a new list comes up. I was able to find a Project Linus chapter 30 minutes away opposed to 2 hours.:goodvibes

I just tried that and found a Project Linus 30 minutes away that was participating and my Mom was driving right by the drop off place today. Of course I paid $11 to ship my blankets to Illinois yesterday!

We are also going to do the Project Linus! Its amazing - I had no idea it was a national organization until the GAD thing came about - I really thought it was a local organization!! Working in social service, I have seen the children that these blankets go to and they are VERY MUCH appreciated by the kiddos and the families, so I was really happy to see they were on the list!! Now it feels really cool to be on the other side, the making side!

I hope this weekend to get out and buy the fabric! I'm going gung-ho and making a quilt! Should be interesting, considering I have a love-hate relationship with our sewing machine :rotfl:

I completed my service yesterday & it was so easy! We were just putting address labels on mailings for a local women & children's shelter. There were so many volunteers that it only took an hour. We felt so guilty leaving after just an hour!

I just signed up to make Valentine's cards for elderly residents of a local facility. My 8 year old daughter is able to volunteer too! Can't wait for a morning of mommy and daughter crafts that will hopefully put a smile on someone's face.

We already have our tickets for our upcoming trip, so we're opting for fastpasses. I think when we use my daughter's fastpass, the one she earned, she'll have a great deal of pride in what she did. She will also have the satisfaction of knowing that she gave back.

I was skeptical of this program, but right now I'm so excited about it!

My volunteer job is today at Habitat for Humanity's ReStore from 9:30-4:30 - so they're getting a lot of hours out of us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter