The July 17-20th shutdown is over. Everything is Great Now!

Then what the heck were they doing for 3+ days?

The more you know - the sadder you feel about being an owner.

And yes, we as owners, paid for them to have this 3+ day vacation.

Sorry, but they were only closed 2 days at MS and about 2 1/2 days of website. And reports were the CMs who were normally scheduled during the shut down were in some level of training.

Sorry, but they were only closed 2 days at MS and about 2 1/2 days of website. And reports were the CMs who were normally scheduled during the shut down were in some level of training.
And they were physically moving offices.

And they were physically moving offices.
When most large companies move offices they actually just completely setup the new office and take the opportunity to purchase new computers and phones. Then the employees leave at the end of business with their personal items and show up at the new office the next day and never skip a beat. Seen it done hundreds of times.

When most large companies move offices they actually just completely setup the new office and take the opportunity to purchase new computers and phones. Then the employees leave at the end of business with their personal items and show up at the new office the next day and never skip a beat. Seen it done hundreds of times.
The point is that more than a computer system update was going on - there was training and moving offices, too. DVC just combined them into one big 2 1/2 day period of unavailability.

I’m not sure that’s how it happens at most large companies. I work at a large company and they hire movers and provide moving boxes even if we are just moving desks 25 feet away. It also takes a bunch of systems resources to move and set up the computers and phones in the new space.

Do you have multiple memberships? I have 2 and it looks like when they migrated the data, they attached both banking notifications (or their respective expand links, at least) to one membership. So, I'd have to edit the link in the devtools to actually open the other one and make the "1" unread notification go away.
No just one. That's a good tip though, if it happens again I'll have to check devtools.

I now see previous reservations on my dashboard. That actually helps review where I spent my points.

Also for me, borrowing glitch went away by itself many months ago. I think it had to do with combo of new direct/resale points at same resort and/or mixing in the banked points from previous owner. After using those, it didn’t bother again.

Last edited:
I don’t really understand why so many people are upset that new features weren’t added. They never said this was a website update. They said it a systems update which to me always indicated something on the backend. Likely they did an optimization of processes and/or databases.

While I agree that it was silly to expect anything more... It is 1000% flat out embarrassing that they had to shut down their whole operation for multiple days just to make some backend updates. That's incompetence, plain and simple. I could see why some people were hoping for more.

If DVC were accountible at all, heads would be rolling right now.

If DVC were accountible at all, heads would be rolling right now.
But why?

With the member site being unavailable and all no income was lost.

The only thing DVC gained by doing this was increased frustration from members and we know from previous experience that DVC don’t care about that.

Why would we even think that DVC would update their website to give us members more access and ability to control our membership and reservations. This was the biggest joke and waste of 3 days. Unbelievable!........or actually it is believable. It's Disney.

I think people’s expectations were just misaligned. Unless they were introducing a totally new system, a release (/outage) like this was most likely an infrastructure upgrade. Infrastructure =/= software. Major infra upgrades could boost performance, but more likely introduce vulnerability patching or resolve end of life issues. They could have fully upgraded their front end servers, e.g. websphere to tomcat for example, with no visible difference for users. A software release, unless a major conversion, would require little-to-no downtime.

For all our sakes, I hope their servers are now better supported / less vulnerable!

But why?

With the member site being unavailable and all no income was lost.

The only thing DVC gained by doing this was increased frustration from members and we know from previous experience that DVC don’t care about that.
Well the key word to that statement is "If". They've eroded a significant amount of goodwill that they used to have with it's members and it's nearly entirely self inflicted. If they were accountible at all to the membership, then they would be alarmed and concerned right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter