The Little Things ("Magical"Tips)... Please Share!

Here are a couple more...
*Each of the resort hotels has the ability to check you in for your flight home (before you board the magic express to the airport). Not only do you get your bags checked, but you get your boarding passes also! Make sure you confer with the front desk the day before you leave to ensure the timing works for this.
*At any Guest Services of the parks, you can get specialty pins for free to celebrate special events -- birthdays, anniversaries, first time to WDW, etc, wear it and you will be amazed how many cast members give you a shout out! Two trips ago, one of my nieces celebrated her birthday while we were there. I asked the front desk if they had any autographed pictures (My niece's favorite princess was Belle. They told me they couldn't guarantee, but they would see what they could do. Two days later, on my niece's birthday, someone delivered an autograph picture of Belle with a note saying happy birthday and "I'm sorry I could not be there in person." I do not think that this type of treatment will always happen. You have to be lucky. But it does not hurt to ask.
*I have read about this one several times but never took advantage of it until my last trip and boy is it worth it! I am talking about the GardenGrocer.com web site. You order from a grocery store and they deliver to your resort. I was amazed at the prices. We usually have the Disney Disney dining plan. For my family, this covers lunch and dinner. We use the Garden Grocer for breakfast foods. Also, I am a beer drinker, and my wife likes to relax with a glass of Chardonnay wine. Buying these from the resort is expensive. You can get both of these at very reasonable prices. We also get a case of water.
*Even if you do not pin trade (Collect the Disney pins), pick up some cheap pins before you go to WDW. Just about all cast members have pins on their uniforms. If you ask them to trade, they will give you any pin they have in exchange for your very cheap pin. This can lead to a very expensive hobby, so we limit it by restricting it to just a favorite character or park.
*If you stay at AKL or Kidani Village, you can watch the animals at night with free night vision goggles -- very cool!
*In planning our trip, I have found that I have almost as much fun prepping for the trip as I do actually going to WDW (well almost :). We have family movie night each Friday night a month before our trip. We watch a Disney movie classic. But I also pepper in some great activities. One of them includes getting everyone together in front of a computer screen with the My Disney Experience Map on it. I then give everyone an itinerary of what we are doing each day. I then click on the restaurants we will be eating at (quick service and table service) -- I give everyone a menu from the current place I have on the screen and have everyone choose what they are going to order. Everyone then highlights what they are going to get. The highlighter matches their magic band! This went waaaaay better than I could have possibly hoped. This helped a lot in avoiding problems especially for the kids.
*This is not a tip, but every time I go to WDW, I take the family to the Hoop-de-doo Revue. It is the best show at Disney IMHO. The food is good, but the corny show never gets old. It is great for the whole family. This is going to make us sound like alcoholics (we hardly ever drink outside of vacations), but you also get all the beer and wine you can drink.
*If you are planning at eating at Sanaa (AKL- Kidani Villiage), book for a 5:00 pm meal and ask to be seated close to a window. They feed the animals at that time and purposely feed them close to the windows. It is excellent.
*Although I have never personally done this, I have told some family members about this who took advantage of it and recommended it. I am talking about the free guided tour of the board walk. You meet at the Belle Vue Lounge at 8:30 for the 9:00 for the walking tour. It is great for adults who want a day away from the kids. Go early have an inexpensive breakfast (coffee and Danish) and get an interesting tour of the resort. Other resorts also offer free tours so you should ask at the desk for a daily activity guide sheet.
*If it starts to rain and you do not like getting wet, you might take a few hours and leave the park to take in some of the resorts. We almost always ride the monorail and check out The Grand Floridian, The Polynesian, and the Contemporary Resorts. They are all beautiful.
r/Jack

Hello Fellow Disney Nerds:

My apologies if this has been hashed before.

A couple of weeks ago someone posted in this forum that Tomorrowland was really beautiful at night on The People Mover. My first thought was, I've never done TPM at night and I am certain to do it now!

I think that tips like these are really the small things that make your Disney Vacation magical.

Just wondering if others have small tips like that to share with me. Please, please do so! After going four years back to back, I haven't been since 2000 and so now I am stupid-giddy over my return and I definitely want to do those small "LITTLE THINGS" to make my trip magical.

This may not even be a tip for many, but my personal small piece of magic is to take a resting cruise on the resort ferryboats outside of The Magic kingdom. Husband and I just passed them by in 1997 and asked could we get on just for the ride. We did so and it was such a lovely and breezy break from all of the walking. The great thing is just how Disney CM's don't turn down reasonable requests. The boats weren't crowded so we just took the cruise.

Would love to get some "MAGICAL" tips for others! Please Share!

1. Get pixie dust in your hair at Harmony Barber shop on Main Street USA. It's free.!
2. Go see the goats in the affection section of animal kingdom.
3.Ride the monorail through all the hotels.
4.Night swim at your resort
5. Have a magical time!

MK - Go up in the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House at night and look over to Tomorrowland - the view of it all lit up at night is awesome and it's very peaceful up there in the breeze.

AK - We love getting an adult beverage at the Dawa Bar in Africa and grabbing a seat in the shade to watch the African drummers. They are really entertaining and the drinks are yummy! It's a nice break in a hot park. We also love DiVine!! I know she was mentioned previously.

EPCOT - Go on a ride or to an indoor show (Impressions de France, O Canada, etc.) just as the sun is beginning to set, and then when you come outside, the lights will be on... it's such a little thing but it looks like you're in a whole new park. It always energizes us to explore more. We also like to buy unique candy/snacks in the different countries for a new taste experience.

HS - When you need a break, grab your favorite beverage and head over to the courtyard outside of Rock 'N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. Have a seat and listen to Aerosmith and the screams coming from ToT! It always makes us laugh.

Disney Springs - the human statues are awesome - take some pics with them and you might be surprised at what they are doing behind you (nothing nasty, just funny!).

We also had some major pixie dust one night coming back from dinner at Narcoossee's... we were on one of the small boats that take you back to the MK dock just as Hallowishes was beginning. We were the only ones on the boat and the captain asked us if we were in a hurry. When we said no, he stopped the boat in the middle of the lagoon and we watched the fireworks, and the music was piped into the boat. It was AMAZING. If you can time something like that, even if the boat doesn't stop, it's a fantastic view.

Disney Springs - the human statues are awesome - take some pics with them and you might be surprised at what they are doing behind you (nothing nasty, just funny!).

Human Statues? Where are they? I think I may have missed them.

They are performers at Disney Springs - they are usually painted all one color, either red, green, grey, etc. When you first see them, they look like statues... but then they do very small movements and you realize they are actually people! I have seen them by the amphitheater and by House of Blues. I'm not sure if they are listed on a schedule anywhere. If you Google "human statues at Downtown Disney", you'll see pics and YouTube videos of them.

So I have signed up for the Fantasmic Dinner Show. I haven't done this before though, in 2 weeks will be my first experience. We were already planning to go to Hollywood and Vine. What I didn't know was that if you sign up for the Fantasmic Dinner Show, you can eat anytime that day, and it doesn't cost anything extra and you get fastpass like seating for Fantasmic 7pm show.

So I have signed up for the Fantasmic Dinner Show. I haven't done this before though, in 2 weeks will be my first experience. We were already planning to go to Hollywood and Vine. What I didn't know was that if you sign up for the Fantasmic Dinner Show, you can eat anytime that day, and it doesn't cost anything extra and you get fastpass like seating for Fantasmic 7pm show.
You actually get better than FP seating, you get a reserved area that is in the center. FP seating is directly to the side of the reserved seating and general seating is farther to the right and left of the staged area.
But you still need to arrive about 30 minutes pre-show, as they begin letting in reserved first, then fp, then generalized seating. There is no roped off areas, so if you get there after all 3 groups have gone in you still get the "leftovers" so to speak.
Search the forums for @Robo posts for "Fantasmic". He has the best maps!

You are going to love the show!

Last edited:
You actually get better than FP seating, you get a reserved area that is in the center. FP seating is directly to the side of the reserved seating and general seating is farther to the right and left of the staged area.
But you still need to arrive about 30 minutes pre-show, as they begin letting in reserved first, then fp, then generalized seating. There is no roped off areas, so if you get there after all 3 groups have gone in you still get the "leftovers" so to speak.
Search the forums for @Robo posts for "Fantasmic". He has the best maps!

You are going to love the show!
Thanks for the tip!

We did the CRT breakfast back in 2014. It was nice, but we felt VERY rushed. I realize that they are trying to get as many folks through there as possible, but for the cost of it you shouldn't be made to feel like you have to "shovel your food down and get out", because that's exactly how we felt.

Also don't be away from the table when the Princesses come by for pictures and/or autographs, because you are not likely to see them again in that visit to CRT. Again, I realize that they have a lot of "Rounds" to make... but lets face it, kids (big and small) want to spend times with the characters of their dreams and sometimes need to go to the bathroom. Both of these are not conducive to a "Rushed" environment.

We are not upset that we went, but both the DW and I both agree that we would not likely do it again (as our youngest now at 11, has been able to experience it.)

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but get to Magic Kingdom about 45 minutes early. That way you'll get a good spot to see the welcome show just before rope drop. It is magical.

A couple of fun ones from my last trip:

* I've got to second getting the pins while you're in the park. We had "Happily Ever After" pins for our honeymoon and they were responsible for some of my favorite moments in the park, ESPECIALLY with the characters.

* If you're visiting with your significant other, go meet Donald in Mexico at Epcot. This is even more fun if you like playing along with the characters(and you should, even if you're an adult).

* This takes timing and luck, but get dinner at the Katsura Grill just before sundown and find an outside table, the closer to the back the better. Watch the sun set and the lanterns flicker to life with Spaceship Earth lighting up in the distance was an amazing experience, and one of our favorite memories from the trip.

* If there's a thunderstorm rumbling nearby after dark, see if you can get on Haunted Mansion. Walking off that attraction with the lightning and thunder rumbling outside is one of those things I'll never forget.

* If you're in the park after dark, especially on EMH, the Kodak Picture Spot off the spoke leading into Liberty Square is an amazing view, and surprisingly quiet at night.

* If it's been a while since you last visited, watch videos or look at photos of your past trips. This one really meant a lot to me on our last visit.

Awesome tips, everyone--great thread!
If you have a child who is a train enthusiast, get on at the back of the train in MK. They often have a child "guest conductor" who gets to announce "alllllllll aboard!" in the microphone. Great memories!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter