The Marvels

What did the director say? I never saw one thing about it.
Lot's of articles out there on what was said - don't want to pull it in here.

That said - the fan base for the Marvels is probable going to skew female - but like I said before 65% of the audience was male.

Literally the first article that comes up when you Google “ Marvels director critical of fan backlash”.

Sorry I don’t know what publications are deemed acceptable and the ones that you all deem wrong think. I do highly suspect the ones you don’t agree with mostly make the bad list. I read them all when I am interested in a topic, call me crazy.

Personally, I think the people are just losing interest in Captain Marvel. She is supposed to basically be one of the most powerful super heros in existence, but can barely manage to get anything done. If you asked the average person that is not a comic book fan if Captain Marvel is more powerful than Iron Man or Captain America, they would say no. She is a shadow of what she should be.

Literally the first article that comes up when you Google “ Marvels director critical of fan backlash”.

Sorry I don’t know what publications are deemed acceptable and the ones that you all deem wrong think. I do highly suspect the ones you don’t agree with mostly make the bad list. I read them all when I am interested in a topic, call me crazy.
They literally post incorrect information about the Disney parks all the time. I don't care about their opinion pieces. They're a bad source for Disney news is all I'm saying.

So does Variety, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, Washington Post, Fortune Magazine, etc.…….tons of incorrect information daily. Some of it called opinion and some of it classified as news.

Okay, I Googled it. I didn't see one "attack ont he fanbase." Certianly she called out people who are "sexist trolls", of which there are some of course, but she said nothing about the fans in general. Are we at a point where we can criticize no fans' behavior or we're criticizing all of them.

Many of the sites that came up with that exact search are not too reputable. Forbes was the top hit and they are legitimate, though they do give a lot of exposure to such things.

So does Variety, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, Washington Post, Fortune Magazine, etc.…….tons of incorrect information daily. Some of it called opinion and some of it classified as news.
Agreed and I don't think anyone was picking on you FWIW

That particular site writes articles that are beyond total speculation and presents them as fact.
They are somewhat like the Marvel What If comics of Disney News.

Thought police on here hilarious, keepers of the truth I tell you.

I will make sure I get all sources approved by the truth committee on here in the future.

You said she never had a negativity word against the fan base, and multiple articles suggest otherwise. Then you condemn the sources.

Thought police on here hilarious, keepers of the truth I tell you.

I will make sure I get all sources approved by the truth committee on here in the future.

You said she never had a negativity word against the fan base, and multiple articles suggest otherwise. Then you condemn the sources.

I did not see one shred of "negativity" from the fanbase, even in the articles that the search came up with. She did say that she doesn't worry about" sexist trolls" - she did not call the fanbase sexist trolls! This is what she said:

“There are pockets where you go because you’re like, ‘I’m a super fan. I want to exist in the space of just adoration — which includes civilized critique Then there are pockets that are really virulent and violent and racist — and sexist and homophobic and all those awful things. And I choose the side of the light. That’s the part of fandom I’m most attracted to.”

That sounds pretty reasonable to me. She's calling out the people who say sexist and racist things - and some people do. If you don't, then she is not talking about you. It's not even an "attack" - she just prefers to avoid it. It makes me wonder, sould she say literally anything that wouldn't be criticized? I think it's more about who she is, not what she said.

I did not see one shred of "negativity" from the fanbase, even in the articles that the search came up with. She did say that she doesn't worry about" sexist trolls" - she did not call the fanbase sexist trolls! This is what she said:

“There are pockets where you go because you’re like, ‘I’m a super fan. I want to exist in the space of just adoration — which includes civilized critique Then there are pockets that are really virulent and violent and racist — and sexist and homophobic and all those awful things. And I choose the side of the light. That’s the part of fandom I’m most attracted to.”

That sounds pretty reasonable to me. She's calling out the people who say sexist and racist things - and some people do. If you don't, then she is not talking about you. It's not even an "attack" - she just prefers to avoid it. It makes me wonder, sould she say literally anything that wouldn't be criticized? I think it's more about who she is, not what she said.
And by your last statement you display your slant to the forefront. Identity is in the front of your mind at all times it seems. Make great content and I don’t give one crap about skin color or gender. Why is that so freaking important? why is it wrong to want people to be judged by their merit and not by some sliding scale that moves if you have the appropriate identity membership cards?

Kevin Feige is catching huge negative press right now due the MCU faltering, why is that not fair game for all others involved in the MCU?

The Marvels will likely lose Disney $300 M plus, so it seems the director would be fair game in most of these type situations? If not, then why?

And by your last statement you display your slant to the forefront. Identity is in the front of your mind at all times it seems. Make great content and I don’t give one crap about skin color or gender. Why is that so freaking important? why is it wrong to want people to be judged by their merit and not by some sliding scale that moves if you have the appropriate identity membership cards?

Kevin Feige is catching huge negative press right now due the MCU faltering, why is that not fair game for all others involved in the MCU?

The Marvels will likely lose Disney $300 M plus, so it seems the director would be fair game in most of these type situations? If not, then why?

Well, it's actually very unimportant to me at all and I generally think that too m any people put too much emphasis on it. What exactly did I say that would make you think that?

I am specifically talking about what the director said in the articles from your search suggestion. It is absolutely fine to criticize her for her directing (though she did a good job with the movie), or to criticise the movie. Again, and I quote:

“There are pockets where you go because you’re like, ‘I’m a super fan. I want to exist in the space of just adoration — which includes civilized critique. Then there are pockets that are really virulent and violent and racist — and sexist and homophobic and all those awful things. And I choose the side of the light. That’s the part of fandom I’m most attracted to.”

Criticism of that nature is warranted and welcome. Criticism that amounts to, "there were three diverse, female leads in the movie" is not productive at all. So again, you can not like her work, but what has she said that makes her such a target?

Your exact words were “ I think it is more about who she is, and not what she said”.

I am pretty sure you mean her race and gender by that statement. Why? Why not just the quality of her work and whether or not it is a theatrical winning product? Why does gender and race matter at all? If it were a white male, leading the single biggest flop in MCU history would you be as supportive?

Was she the most deserving person to direct this film? If not why? Was Candyman 2021 her crowning accomplishment that got her a massive blockbuster with a $300M budget before marketing?

Last edited:
Your exact words were “ I think is more about who she is, and not what she said”.

I am pretty sure you mean her race and gender by that statement. Why? Why not just the quality of her work and whether or not it is a theatrical winning product? Why does gender and race matter at all? If it were a white male, leading the single biggest flop in MCU history would you be as supportive?

Was she the most deserving person to direct this film? If not why? Was Candyman 2021 her crowning accomplishment that got her a massive blockbuster with a $300M budget before marketing?

Let me clarify - I meant that people are being very defensive and criticizing her over what she said - that exact quote. How could anyone have a problem with that quote unless they are concerned about the source of it. She said nothing offensive and attacked no one. If you want to be critical of the movie, go right ahead, though I do recommned that you see it first.

That’s fair, and I agree with most of what you say. I just don’t agree that people get a pass on their projects failing due to being in some protected classification. I believe in accountability and a meritocracy. If your project wins (see Barbie) you get the accolades. If your project flops (see Indy 5) you get the blame.

That’s fair, and I agree with most of what you say. I just don’t agree that people get a pass on their projects failing due to being in some protected classification. I believe in accountability and a meritocracy. If your project wins (see Barbie) you get the accolades. If your project flops (see Indy 5) you get the blame.

And that's totally fair. You've gotta admit though that some directors get targeted, and it's not becuase of the quality or success of their project. There is a contingent of fans - not a particularly large group but rather a paritcularly loud group - that do this for all the wrong reasons and it's a problem for sure. One can recognize that and also critique the work independently of that. There are many facets to it. To her credit, Nia seems to get that, unlike say a Paul Feig or others who love to play victim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter