The Official December 2009 Car Rental Thread

Those are the same 2 discounts that I used as well.
Our rate for 12/9-12/16 is $160.52, but our pick up and drop off times added an extra $21.70 to the base rate of $151.89. After the 2 discounts it came to the $160.52. :goodvibes
On the 5007160 Contintental Code, will we need to show anything for that when we pick up the car?

In regards to the email code, would I need a copy of the email? If so where can I find it?

Thanks!

Sorry to say, it's that holiday weekend that is killing you.

That's what I figured. :sad1:

Oh, well, I DO have a Thrifty rental for a total of $125 for the base week, with all the fees it's around the $177 mark. I was just hoping to do better!! :lmao:

Oh, well, I DO have a Thrifty rental for a total of $125 for the base week, with all the fees it's around the $177 mark. I was just hoping to do better!! :lmao:

duffy. try alamo last minute deals for sanford airport. for you dates and a compact car it comes out to $189- including all fees, but maybe you can find a coupon to lower that rate.;)

i'm also traveling that weekend and having a heck of a time getting a good rate. picking up in tampa dropping at mco.

Our rate for 12/9-12/16 is $160.52, but our pick up and drop off times added an extra $21.70 to the base rate of $151.89. After the 2 discounts it came to the $160.52. :goodvibes
On the 5007160 Contintental Code, will we need to show anything for that when we pick up the car?

Did you request a midsize or fullsize? When I reserve the midsize is $158(including taxes) but the fullsize is almost $100.00 more.

Is it true with the Emerald plan they upgrade the vehicle size? I need a fullsize.

Thanks!

In regards to the email code, would I need a copy of the email? If so where can I find it?

Thanks!

My husband is a member of the Emerald Club and the coupon came in an email to him. I don't know if the $40 coupon is for everyone or just members? I think I read on mousesavers that you can join for free using a link there.
HTH!:goodvibes

I just was able to get a 13/day economy car rate through priceline.com for December 10 - 14. The rental agency is Alamo.

Contiinental has a link on their site wherein u can print out a membership card, couldn't hurt to take it along. National @ MCO

My husband is a member of the Emerald Club and the coupon came in an email to him. I don't know if the $40 coupon is for everyone or just members? I think I read on mousesavers that you can join for free using a link there.
HTH!:goodvibes

verbage from the offer

Take advantage of this exclusive offer on your next weekly rental with National®. As an email subscriber, you can save $40 (an additional $10 off the published weekly offer) when renting a Compact through Luxury car, Minivan or SUV for a minimum of five days.

It's either the long weekend ... or the difference in location. I'm looking for a rental in Fort Myers for 10 days in early December, and I can't get anything under $350/week with National. I checked the current last minute specials and they are in the $120 a week base rate range with National at MCO, but in the $300 range at RSW. I've never found there to be more than a $20 or so difference between the two airports in the past. This year, it is just nuts. I can only guess that National reduced the size of their fleet in Fort Myers much more so than they did in Orlando (or that Fort Myers hasn't been as badly hit by the drop in travel as Orlando has been).

Thankfully, we're also holding a Thrifty reservation at the $125/wk baserate. I was hoping for something comparable with National, because I like being able to choose my own vehicle.

I just checked my reservations with all the companies.

Trip is Dec 4th to 13th. 9 days.

Thifty with Orlando Magi Card still winning. $210.18 for wildcard car (guaranteed mid-size or larger)

I am very happy with this reservation (includes taxes, etc).
Just thought I would let all know - this price is back out there tonight. Only $3 more.

Did you request a midsize or fullsize? When I reserve the midsize is $158(including taxes) but the fullsize is almost $100.00 more.

Is it true with the Emerald plan they upgrade the vehicle size? I need a fullsize.

Thanks!

In my head I hear my Aussie friend...."Bloody taxes!" :rotfl:

My National rental for Dec. 4-12 (8 days) is now $97 ($148 after taxes). Pretty good for a guaranteed full size or better (Executive Aisle).

Thanks for you posting, it helped us with our December rental too....

the base rate is lower for 8 days than for 7 days....

if you book 8 days .....149$ plus extra day of 22$~

if you book 7 days .... 200 with no conract ID discount but it does accept the 40$ coupon....

it seems to be a quirk in the national car system that if you rent for 7 days plus an hour you get the better rate but you do pay an extra hour ( or day ) charge depending on when you return

base rate with extra hour becomes 151 with contract id and coupon id accepted ...final rate of 149$~ ( extra hour cost is half of day rental at approx 11$ )...

two hours makes it go to full day rate of 22$~

Anyone know the Alamo policy on returns? Any leniency on return times without charging??

Should I add 2-3 hours to my rental???? :confused3

again, probably a good idea to call and ask their policy

few years ago, when returning a rental car 'late' @ MCO, i was informed that there was less than 1 hour grace time (I can't remember whether it was with Alamo or National)

i was told that i'd be charged current hourly rate for 2 hours, before whatever the current one-day rate was applied. btw, the daily rate seemed way out of line with the weekly rate I had secured:confused3

my suggestion if you think you will need an extra day attached to a weekly reservation, book it upfront so you at least know what you'll be charged upfront. In this case, i wonder if you do return the car 'early' if you'd get a refund?popcorn::anybody know for sure?

We are flying To Orlando for the first time in 13 years ( we have been driving from Toronto).
We are arriving late Thursday Dec. 17th ( 11:40) so my plan was to stay at a hotel nearby and deal with the rental car in the morning.

I can get a rate of 308.76 though Costco with a free up grade to standard if I book Dec. 17th to 30th but if I try to book Dec 18th to 30th the rate jumps to
$1,429.83. This seems so crazy that booking one less day makes such a difference.
So far I booked arrival of Dec. 17th at 11:30 even though it will take a while to get our bags and go though customs.

I made a back up reservation for the 18th with Avis for 448.38 but than I will also have to pay for an additional driver.
any advice?
Linda

So happy with my rental. As everyone knows the December rates have been ridiculous and not even just the Christmas period. We had just planned on doing the Magical Express again which is normally just fine for the two of us except for being able to do a grocery store stop.
:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1 :drinking1:drinking1 :drinking1:drinking1:drinking1

I decided to check again for the rates for Alamo thinking I could rent for 24 hours to get us from the airport, make our stops, DAP that night and then return the car at the Swan/Dolphin next morning. Going home we can just take Magical Express.

We have rented from Alamo before but this time I signed up for their "Kwik Silver" (why did the real word get blocked?) program and then clicked on the "Insider Deals" link near the top right of their webpage. It had a $25.00 off 3-day rental, so I booked Dec.12-15, compact car and got it for a total of $65.34 total after all the lovely taxes and fees. Now I can relax a bit because with all the various Disney fan meets all over the place especially on Sunday, I was getting tired already!
:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

I made a back up reservation for the 18th with Avis for 448.38 but than I will also have to pay for an additional driver.
any advice?

I believe that Avis gives a spouse as an additional driver free. You might look into that.

We have rented from Alamo before but this time I signed up for their "Kwik Silver" (why did the real word get blocked?)

There's a towncar company by the same name that has been banned on this board.

I believe that Avis gives a spouse as an additional driver free. You might look into that.

Thanks I was unaware of that policy but did find it on their site.
The other thing I do not like about Avis is that the coupons are not reflected in your confirmation.

I have a 10 day 12/20/2009 rental for $600 large SUV. I do not think I can get better. If you think so, please pass the tips to me. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter