The People You Meet at WDW You Never Forget

Soarin08

DIS Veteran
At WDW, with people visiting from all around the world, it's almost impossible not to chat with someone from another country. My family always chats with someone from another country, but several have stuck out in my mind.

The first trip (1997), we had a two-hour wait before IllumiNations. A British family (mom, dad, two boys, and a girl, the girl and one boy teens) stood next to us as we waited, and those two hours passed too quickly!! We talked about our home countries (we're from Mississippi) and just had a wonderful time. Then on our trip in June '08, I waited in line for Soarin' in front of a British mom and her two young kids (very nice people). And my mom, while my brother waited in line to meet Minnie, pushed a British lady's stroller for her (she was alone with two toddlers) and they chatted for at least thirty minutes! And also in June, we took pictures in front of Cinderella's Castle for a very friendly family from India.

Does anyone else have stories similar they'd like to share?:cloud9:

So, true. Getting to know people from different parts of the US and the World adds that special feeling at WDW. We have met families from Australia, UK, and from all over the US. The best way to pass time while waiting for a parade or fireworks is get to know the people around you. The kids even behaved better, playing roll a rubber ball, just because it was with someone new.

On a kinda side note, WDW is our "home" park and we went to DLR (Disneyland) for the first time this summer and I just wasn't able to do this. People were not interested in talking, sharing taking other people's pictures (they gave us a funny look when we offered to take a family photo for them) except for one family.

Anyway, totally agree with you. Because then afterwards, our family would talk about where they were from and something we learned.

-Virginia

with those next to me waiting for rides, parades, fireworks, etc. I feel that's part of the charm involved with Disney World. I, too, have had long conversations with foreigners. We have shared Illumination cruises, too.

Now, I will say there have been a few people who do not what to share that magic, but that's ok. They may be scared for one reason or another and I understand.

There have been a few times I could give those around me some pixie dust like fastpasses that we decided not to use, etc.

We were waiting for Fantasmic one night and the family next to us was from Manitoba Can. We are from Ohio and when we left home a few days before the weather was 10 degrees. We started chatting with the father and my son asked him how the weather was when they left. With the straightest face he said, "Oh you know the usual this time of year, -60 degrees." My son and I laughed and swore we would not complain about the Ohio winters again.

While we stayed at the Dolphin we met a wonderful couple from Brighton, England. Both were university professors and taking their grandson to WDW for the first time. We met them occassionally on the bus to the MK and we would talk about what we had done and seen and what they must see before they left for home. We have meet many, many people from all over the world, but those are the 2 that stuck out.

Only a few stand out in my mind out of all the trips there.
1. Gay Days 2001- DH and I were enjoying some relaxing in the hot tub at Boardwalk, when we heard noises from the nearby bushes. DH investigated-bad idea-and found two guys going at it 100% right there for all to see.
2. November 2003-DH and I were on line for something in the Life pavilion on evening. We met a older couple who had just arrived that day. They thought we were honeymooners and asked us. THen we started chatting. Discovered that they woke up that morning and decided to go do Disney that very day. Went to the airport ad caught the first flight out. I have since vowed that one day we will do that. Just pack up and go spur of the moment. Likely will not happen until we are retired. But I will do it. I thought that was so awesome.
3. April 2008- I was sitting along Mainstreet waiting for the parade. I had been sitting a while and it was getting very crowded. A mother and her daughter came and squeezed in next to me. THe girl sat and the mother stood behind her. Next thing I know the mother tells me to watch her child because she was going to get coffee. Before I could say anything she was gone. She was gone for 45 minutes! The little girl was scared. She could not have been more than 5 years old. I was livid and just about to find a cast member to take the girl to and report what happened when the mother came back. I was in shock and did not say anything. Though I should have. I cannot believe she would risk her child's safety for a parade spot???

I love this aspect of WDW. We've talked to so many folks who will always stay in our memories.

The most memorable one from last time was the woman who was in line with us for Soarin'. Although her husband enjoyed theme parks (and was at that moment on Test Track), she said that she just couldn't understand why people come to them. DW said that there are lots of reasons, because there are so many different things to do: thrill rides, shows, dark rides, nighttime spectaculars, peaple watching, and so much more. DW then asked the woman if she'd ever been on Soarin' before. The woman said she hadn't. So DW said, "You're in for a treat!"

The woman clearly wasn't convinced. When we got to the head of the line, it turned out this woman would be seated next to DW. So in we went, found our seats, and the show started.

It wasn't long before DW nudged me, because the woman was "Ooh"-ing and "Aah"-ing with the best of 'em. :)

And once it was all over, the woman said she really enjoyed it and was very glad she'd stuck it out in the line.

She found enjoyment where she'd thought there could be none. What a great thing!

We were there and we'll never forget her! :thumbsup2

I remember I was waiting to get seated on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, and I met a group of 3 in front of me from Sweden I think.. the ride was idle for about 15 minutes as there was someone in a wheelchair wanting to get off the ride for whatever reason, so we just sat and talked. We happened to get into the idea of what we're going to do for a pic.. so I told them how horrible I look in them, I'll just put my hand over my face :lmao: - so that's what we all did, put our hands over our face.

When the ride ended, we were all walking out.. but the monitors didn't show our pics. I happen to talk to a CM and bought it, but I never caught up to them to show them how hilarious it was :rotfl2:

The trip before that, I was waiting in line for Pirates of the Caribbean and it looked like there was some special event going on. I'm just looking at this pirate guy question where Jack Sparrow was, and out of no where.. here comes Jack Sparrow slapping my shoulder and says "cutsies!" I rarely ever get lucky enough to get involved in acts, but this one made me laugh.

Only a few stand out in my mind out of all the trips there.
1. Gay Days 2001- DH and I were enjoying some relaxing in the hot tub at Boardwalk, when we heard noises from the nearby bushes. DH investigated-bad idea-and found two guys going at it 100% right there for all to see.
2. November 2003-DH and I were on line for something in the Life pavilion on evening. We met a older couple who had just arrived that day. They thought we were honeymooners and asked us. THen we started chatting. Discovered that they woke up that morning and decided to go do Disney that very day. Went to the airport ad caught the first flight out. I have since vowed that one day we will do that. Just pack up and go spur of the moment. Likely will not happen until we are retired. But I will do it. I thought that was so awesome.
3. April 2008- I was sitting along Mainstreet waiting for the parade. I had been sitting a while and it was getting very crowded. A mother and her daughter came and squeezed in next to me. THe girl sat and the mother stood behind her. Next thing I know the mother tells me to watch her child because she was going to get coffee. Before I could say anything she was gone. She was gone for 45 minutes! The little girl was scared. She could not have been more than 5 years old. I was livid and just about to find a cast member to take the girl to and report what happened when the mother came back. I was in shock and did not say anything. Though I should have. I cannot believe she would risk her child's safety for a parade spot???

Whoaa, interesting stories!

I visited WDW last year and stayed at CBR. I didn't chat around much because of my broken English. But one day, I met a CM at Old Port Royale one day during breakfast. She's a large, jolly Cuban lady--whom I forgot the name, arrgh--with a very thick accent and white hair. Probably intrigued with the hijab (veil) I was wearing, she asked me where I was from. I told her I'm from Indonesia. She then asked me if I was a Muslim. I said, yes.

Apparently, her husband was also a Muslim from Alexandria. She told me that she loved that beautiful place, especially its gorgeous beaches. Such a shame she couldn't swim in her bikinis in those beaches, she told me, because everyone was expected to covered up like me.

She then asked whether I'd be fasting during the upcoming Ramadhan (the holy month in Islam, where Muslims supposed to fast from dawn till dusk for the whole 30 days). I said, of course. The lady said she'd tried fasting, but couldn't really do it cause she's a big eater. Then she laughed and pat her belly. Love her :)

Another I remember is from our June '08 trip, while we were waiting for the Outpost bus at FW cabins we chatted with an older couple from Iowa. They had their grandson with them, and he and my brother played while we all waited (the young boy was missing an arm, but that didn't stop him from running around with my brother!! It was awesome!). They told us they were down for their granddaughter's high school graduation and had surprised their grandson with a WDW trip!! What a nice gift!!

I love all these stories! It just shows that WDW is overall a very friendly place. :)

We've had many great encounters, especially for my DH who speaks fluent German and rarely gets to use it. Every German person we've met has been more than willing to let him practice.

Our favorite ever though was a little boy at DLR. We were waiting for the Electric Light Parade. His family sat down next to us. One boy, his mom, 2 aunts, 2 sisters and 3 female cousins. He was the only boy in the group. And he immediately started chatting with my DH, craving male companionship I guess. :confused3 We chatted with him until the parade started, by which point we knew Snow White was his favorite princess. During the parade he asked if one of the bugs was a lady bug or lightning bug. So my DH asked the bug. It came right over to us, and bounced in affirmation at being a lightning bug. The kid's eyes just lit up. When Snow White came by my DH pointed at the boy and informed her that she was his favorite princess. She came over and gave the boy a kiss on the cheek. The look on his face is one of the most magical moments I've ever had at a Disney Park.

Back in the mid-1970's, when I was (ahem!) in elementary/middle school, our family would camp at Ft. Wilderness every year. This was back in the day, when the "world" consisted of the campground, the Polynesian, the Contemporary, the shopping center, and the MK. We would take the boat to the Contemporary for dinner, to play in the arcade, or to swim (it was allowed back then, no comments please).

As kids do, we made some friends at the pool one day. After that, we went to the MK with them, met up for dinner, took them to the campfires at the campground, etc. We exchanged addresses, but never stayed in touch.

Then we ran into them the next year! And the next! Their families were on the same schedule as us for their yearly vacations.

I cannot remember their names, but clearly remember the time we spent together, how excited we were when we "ran" into each other each year, and how our parents would hang out while we ran around. It's like they were our special, WDW-only, secret vacation friends who existed for us only in that happiest place on earth!

Every trip we've met wonderful people with either brief or long exchanges. My BF loves to meet new people. These are the highlights:

In 2005, we were waiting for Wishes to start and we met a family from England who had saved for years to bring over the kids for a two-week holiday. We talked at length, and they told us all about their experience. They didn't know about Tink flying from the castle. I told the mom, but she didn't tell the kids and let it be a surprise. By the time Wishes ended, she was in tears and hugging us goodbye and wishing safe travels.

Last year, waiting for the afternoon parade to start, I was sitting on the ground with a small tripod balancing the camera and ended up in a conversation with a grandmother from Venezuela on my right, and a young girl from London (parents stood behind her) on my left. I thought where else but WDW could the three of us found ourselves in a conversation? Three different gals from all around the world having a lovely talk!

One not-so-good story. After a delicious dinner with fireworks included at Narcoossee's, a couple next to us struck up a conversation. They seemed slightly odd, and kept trying to get us to linger. After we left, it dawned on my BF, and then he told me -- THEY WERE SWINGERS! We have never been so disgusted. We left the GF as fast as the monorail could take us, and headed over to MK to get rid of the heebie jeebies and immerse ourselves in magic and pixie dust. Not a good experience but definitely a funny story.

Last year on our first trip as a family,the day we went to DHS.My DH and I had to take turns going on Tower of Terror because my DD's were not old enough.So I went on first,did not know what to expect,so I was a little anxious.It was about a 15 min.wait,there was a couple in front of me,they were probably about 65-70 years old.They said it was there first time too,they said "come on,you stick with us and you will be just fine".Well we got thru the show okay,and then the drops started.the wife who was seated next to me,grabbed my arm and started screaming and laughing.I will never forget them as the 4 of us were all terrified together.:goodvibes

I'm pretty shy, so don't usually start conversations with people, and I probably give off the impression that I don't want anybody bothering me, when really I just don't know how to act in social situations. :worried:

But anyway... the one person I remember is kind of a sad story. We were waiting to go onto the Haunted Mansion during one of our visits, and we were all bunched up right outside the door. I was just looking at all the gravestones and I saw a lizard on one of them. I know lizards are plentiful in Florida but I still get excited any time I see one, so I poked my companion and said "oh look!"

Of course any time anybody says that in a crowd, other people look, and I heard a woman say, "Oh yeah look at the lizard!" and I looked over at her and she she was in a small family, and she was pointing out the lizard to her boy, who was wearing a baseball cap but you could still see that he had no hair, and when I realized he probably had cancer, my heart sank. We entered the ride shortly after that, and when we were in the stretch room I saw him again, and he just looked so happy and so amazed and enthralled by everything that was happening, and the tears just started coming and I couldn't stop it. I was so thankful to finally get into the dunebuggy where it was dark and nobody could see me (not that anybody saw me anyway, I think).

I know I knew absolutely nothing about his story. Maybe he was in remission and things were going to be all right for him. But all I could think is that maybe that Disney trip was the one thing he wanted most, and since he didn't have a lot of time left, his family pulled their money together and was able to make it happen for him.

I'm not sure exactly why it was as heartbreaking as it was for me, but for the next year or so any time I'd ride the Haunted Mansion I'd remember him and start to cry. Now, it's about 6 years later, I can go on it without crying, but the tears still start up any time I talk about it, or, like right now, write about it.

I too have met sooooo many wonderful ppl at WDW - most of them locals who I see again and again. Ive even been invited to their homes so I can return more often.

When I was an Attractions CM in Tomorrowland, I met a wonderful couple, Rachel and Richard Heller. They loved Disney and especially CMs. They took my picture for their website, and I gave Rachel a pin of either Chip or Dale (I don't remember which). She loved the chipmunks. I've ran into them a couple more times before I transferred out to another park. Now that I'm back in the Magic Kingdom, I hope to see them again.

I'm pretty shy, so don't usually start conversations with people, and I probably give off the impression that I don't want anybody bothering me, when really I just don't know how to act in social situations. :worried:

But anyway... the one person I remember is kind of a sad story. We were waiting to go onto the Haunted Mansion during one of our visits, and we were all bunched up right outside the door. I was just looking at all the gravestones and I saw a lizard on one of them. I know lizards are plentiful in Florida but I still get excited any time I see one, so I poked my companion and said "oh look!"

Of course any time anybody says that in a crowd, other people look, and I heard a woman say, "Oh yeah look at the lizard!" and I looked over at her and she she was in a small family, and she was pointing out the lizard to her boy, who was wearing a baseball cap but you could still see that he had no hair, and when I realized he probably had cancer, my heart sank. We entered the ride shortly after that, and when we were in the stretch room I saw him again, and he just looked so happy and so amazed and enthralled by everything that was happening, and the tears just started coming and I couldn't stop it. I was so thankful to finally get into the dunebuggy where it was dark and nobody could see me (not that anybody saw me anyway, I think).

I know I knew absolutely nothing about his story. Maybe he was in remission and things were going to be all right for him. But all I could think is that maybe that Disney trip was the one thing he wanted most, and since he didn't have a lot of time left, his family pulled their money together and was able to make it happen for him.

I'm not sure exactly why it was as heartbreaking as it was for me, but for the next year or so any time I'd ride the Haunted Mansion I'd remember him and start to cry. Now, it's about 6 years later, I can go on it without crying, but the tears still start up any time I talk about it, or, like right now, write about it.

Reminds me of an experience I had in June- also involving the HM and a child with cancer. We had jsut gotten off the ride when we saw a family- mom, dad, son, and daughter, walking up getting ready to board. The daughter had no hair and was very thin, in a wheelchair, had oxygen, etc. On each of the family members' shirts they had a "Make a Wish" pin. I immediately felt tears come to my eyes because I realized that this little girl was probably dying and that her family had brought her most likely so she could have one final moment of fun. I still think about this family and wonder if the little girl is all right or not, and I'll always think about them when I myself get ready to ride HM.

One of mine is actually a Disney CM
We were at Beaches and Cream and it was pretty late and my boys were
beat from a full day at MK, we were sitting at our table waiting for
my DS8's No Way Jose and the fans were going full speed and it was Nov
so they were shivering

Well, a CM there named Brian went and got some heated towels and but them around my sons to warm them up, I thought that was the sweetest thing. :goodvibes

Disney Customer Service, you can't beat it :wizard:

i agree with the other posts, disney is one of the great places on earth, where my family and i can relax and enjoy life.[and the magic:wizard: ]
one of the great things for me was seeing my girls and teaching them about "spreading magic", they pass out glow sticks or disney pins to kids that they would see. can you imagine, we had the hardest time getting some people to take them?:confused:
anyway we were on our first family trip last year at the pop. on the 3rd day we had returned to the room and found out that our oldest dd and misplaced her pin bag with 30+ pins:scared1: she was devastated, and upset, we turned the room upside down and dh went down to talk to the manager at the front desk.
well, the desk people were really nice, they said that they would have housekeeping look around for the bag and they let Geni pick out some trading pins at the store in the lobby.
the next day we got back to our room and geni ended up with a BUNCH of pins, we were absolutely flabbergasted:cool1: she was one really happy little girl.
now, i ask you, where else do :woohoo: you find this kind of magic?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter