The Rum Runners: A Pre Trip Report - UPDATED: 8/2/10

I had been waiting to post any updates until I had something to report.

I have something to report.

SomethingS, actually.

Like that I got the go-ahead to take this time off from work.

Like that the room is booked.

Like that said room is not the room I once thought I was going to be booking.

Like that I'll be registering for the 1/2 once I get paid this month.

Like that BF said on Saturday night, "If I could get the time off I would love to go with you and see you cross the finish line."

:faint:

Sorry, I have to pick myself up off the floor every time I relive that sentence. BF volunteering to go to Disney. And last night he volunteered for a THIRD trip.

We haven't even left for the FIRST one yet!

I'm beginning to explore the theory that perhaps one of us has been abducted by aliens (BF) OR that one of us is living in an alternate reality (ME).

Un.Be.Liev.Able.

So, this weekend I got the ok to take the time off in February. We're a small group and normally can take vacas without too much of an issue, but given the race registration is non-refundable I wanted to be 100% sure no one was going to take issue with my taking 6 days out of work in February/March. It's not exactly our slow time, but not our busiest either.

The next item on the agenda was the room situation. Originally I wanted to do 3 nights at BC and the remainder of the stay at POR. Even guessing at the room rates and pricing it out was a stretch on the budget. Then I got the listing of the "race rates" on the resorts considered "race resorts" (all All Stars, POR/POFQ, CBR, Poly & AKL) and could tell just by the "discount" being offered that I was low-balling my "dream" stay. Which made my budget groan that much louder.

2011 rate hike + Peak season = Suckiness for Tinkerbellarella's accommodations plan

Back to the drawing board.

Or, rather, to the DVC Rent/Trade boards where an idea was hatched.

I've always like the idea of AKL. I don't care that it's the only Deluxe with all bus service and no alternative. I don't care that, relatively speaking, it's remote. I don't care that it's huge. I was just really sold on the authenticity and the uniqueness of the resort. Was it my dream resort? No. Only the Poly can fill those shoes. But it was on the list of resorts I wanted to try.

So, I asked around and then got "a heading" as our sweet TK would put it, on where I could reasonably and reliably rent some points for said trip. I contacted the DISer (who I'll leave nameless for now) and after trading some PM's she agreed to check availability for me today.

I am now the proud "owner" of the following reservation:

2/25/11-3/5/11
Value Studio in Jambo House at AKL

:woohoo:

For the whole week, a studio villa at a deluxe hotel is costing me less than the race rate on a standard room at a value resort.

I think I can be ok with that. ::yes::

If TK comes for a bit, the room has a Queen and a pull-out sofa. If BF AND TK come, we'll be one big happy family. Also, TK will fully understand what it's like to deal with a chipper BF first thing in the morning. It's a skill that even I am yet to master. But to have TWO of my favorite people in the world (and the World) waiting for me at the finish line? PRICELESS.

I guess more than half of the value studios have savannah views and the remaining are split between pool view and standard view and it's pretty much luck of the draw at check-in. I'll obviously be crossing my fingers for the savannah but I really think I'll be happy with whatever. I did a bit more research and learned that the fitness center at the resort also offers some spa treatments but I'm thinking I'm still going to do the Mandara Spa at the Dolphin.

Once the dining plans for 2011 are announced I'll add that on. I'm still undecided on that front. Rumors abound about Disney making the plans less attractive. Also, it'll depend on whether BF is serious and he goes. If he does we'll have to take a look at how we make out using the DxDP in Sept. and take it from there. I'm even tossing around the idea of doing it anyway and booking lots of signature restaurants. We'll see, we'll see.

I'll also set up ME once I have my flights booked. As AKL is a race hotel I also won't have to worry about organizing transportation to/from the events. I'll be purchasing my park tix separately. I've even been toying with the idea of getting them NOW with the No Expiration option to avoid the rate hike but don't know if I could swing that.

And with regards to the race itself, given that I have to send out a deposit to the DISer renting me the points, I'll be registering for that after I get paid later this month. My next update will be with some info. on how training has been going and what's in store in the future.

So, that's about it. I think I've covered everything I set out to.

Yay for another item checked off the list for solidifying this trip!

:flower3:

YAY for renting points at AKV! :love: I never considered the value studio and wish I had. Can your DVC owner request a non-parking lot view on your reservation? The pool views are lovely, and of course, the savannah views speak for themselves.

BF and TK there for you at the finish? What could be better than that? :goodvibes

I'm so happy that the points renting has worked out for you!

I'm very excited that both BF and TK might be there cheering you on. :goodvibes

I'm so excited for you. Your going to love the AKL! I stayed there back in 2003 and just loved it. It may be a bit more isolated, but you really get a wonderful feeling of getting away from it all. I'm convinced they have some of the best bus service too. They don't share with anyone else. I don't ever remember having to wait too long for a bus.

YAY for getting a studio at AKV that is totally cool!!!! So excited!!! I'm looking forward to my first opportunity at renting points!

BF and TK coming to cheer you on!! That would be awesome!!!

I am so excited that you were able to rent points. It would be so nice for you to have BF and TK cheering you on.

Thinking of the three of us in a room together is exciting and scary all at the same time. :lmao:

I'm still up in the air on my plans, but only because of Squirt. I guess basically what I'm trying to decide right now is if I'll go alone, if I'll bring him with me (in which case we'd get our own room and not put you through that experience :lmao:), or if I'll make a family trip out of it. So many possibilities, and really only time will tell.

I'm excited that you're staying at AKL. I think you're going to love it for this trip, and it's the right choice. :thumbsup2

YAY for renting points at AKV! :love: I never considered the value studio and wish I had. Can your DVC owner request a non-parking lot view on your reservation? The pool views are lovely, and of course, the savannah views speak for themselves.

I might be able to ahead of time but I've done well just leaving it to "fate" so I may just leave it at that.

BF and TK there for you at the finish? What could be better than that? :goodvibes

If they were both holding Dole Whip Floats. ;)

I'm so happy that the points renting has worked out for you!

Yes, it's been very easy so far.

I'm so excited for you. Your going to love the AKL! I stayed there back in 2003 and just loved it. It may be a bit more isolated, but you really get a wonderful feeling of getting away from it all. I'm convinced they have some of the best bus service too. They don't share with anyone else. I don't ever remember having to wait too long for a bus.

I'm looking forward to staying there. I checked out lots of pics on allearsnet and it's got me excited. I'm also thinking of possibly adding Jiko to the dining possibility lineup.

I'm looking forward to my first opportunity at renting points!

Why did I think this wasn't your first time renting points?

I am so excited that you were able to rent points. It would be so nice for you to have BF and TK cheering you on.

It really would. I know I'll cross that finish line, even if it's just me, but they would be the best kind of incentive. :goodvibes

Thinking of the three of us in a room together is exciting and scary all at the same time. :lmao:

Right?! While I think it would work out just fine, I think a lot of new 'taglines' would come from that stay! :rotfl:

I'm still up in the air on my plans, but only because of Squirt. I guess basically what I'm trying to decide right now is if I'll go alone, if I'll bring him with me (in which case we'd get our own room and not put you through that experience :lmao:), or if I'll make a family trip out of it. So many possibilities, and really only time will tell.

That last line sounds like something out of a song. LOL We'll figure it out. And if you can't make it this time for some reason, well, there's always that Halloween trip BF so brilliantly suggested. ::yes::

That last line sounds like something out of a song. LOL We'll figure it out. And if you can't make it this time for some reason, well, there's always that Halloween trip BF so brilliantly suggested. ::yes::

I had no idea I was so lyrical. :lmao:

Speaking of the Halloween trip, I just sent you an email. :scratchin

TK, I love your new ticker.

Why, thank you. I believe I promised on the babnana thread that after the baby was born, I'd change my ticker to countdown to our favorite pirate.

Since, sadly, I have no idea when I'm really going to the World again. :lmao:

Why, thank you. I believe I promised on the babnana thread that after the baby was born, I'd change my ticker to countdown to our favorite pirate.

Since, sadly, I have no idea when I'm really going to the World again. :lmao:

I think you did. It really isn't all that far away. I think those nine months will be over before we know it.

Okay, I'm now caught-up here, too. :yay:

And Tink? :hug::cheer2::cool1: So many good things happening in your life lately - I'm thrilled for you! And beyond impressed with your dedication to training and running the 1/2. I've always been athletic-ish, but never have I been a runner; I truly can't imagine going that far that quickly without dying! :faint: I'm excited for you and am really looking forward to hearing all about your progress. YOU GO GIRL! :banana::banana::banana:

Completely caught up--and I so wish I was going to cross that finish line with you. The good thing, however, is you showed me just how to approach my plan for the 2012 half marathon.

And I will so be there.

Hey guys!

Sorry for the lack of posting lately. I actually DO have a ton of stuff to post about (like flights and ADRs) but if you're following my Sept. PTR you know I've very suddenly got a lot of decisions to make about that trip. :headache: And some changes there, namely BF's sudden absence from it :sad1:, may change some things about this trip, namely BF's addition to it...or to at least part of it. But, we'll see, we don't know anythng for sure about any of that yet.

:sad2:

Once I have the September stuff figured out I promise to head right back this way and give you a MEGA update.

In the meantime, sit tight, or, if you aren't already following it, come follow my other PTR thread HERE!

Thanks all!

:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter