The Running Thread—2023

I had to drop at mile 6.5 of my 10 miler here in HTX, 98 at 7a

Does anyone have treadmill recs? Under $5.5k pref
Sole. But also it depends on what all you want it to do, how fast you need it to go, if there are weight considerations, and how long you want the belt to be.

I have an older F80 that I bought off fb marketplace for exactly $100. “Richard’s” sporting goods usually has these in stock and you could try one out.

I don’t “trust” the ones that have a big tv/touch screen built in because I feel like somewhere I read that if that goes bad on some of them, they’re completely non functional. And also that it’s more stuff to break. I’m perfectly capable of putting a tablet on the display, and the newer models have a thing to specifically hold a tablet.

Last edited:
(Are there treadmills where you can program in an interval workout, because that would be amazing.)

I know that I used one that had an interval program at Universal's Dockside hotel. It was a life-changing discovery. (I was with a non-runner and she couldn't understand my excitement.)

After burning up a few high end treadmills over the years we currently have a Sole F80 in the house. Has a big 3.5 HP motor with an unlimited warranty on the motor and frame. I’m about 6’1” 195 lbs. Son is 6’4” 230 lbs. Daughter is 5’6” 155 lbs. Carries all the weights well. Heck we can all put 40-50 miles on it in one day with all the long runs and it’s fine

fter burning up a few high end treadmills over the years we currently have a Sole F80 in the house
I was looking at one of those but the reviews online are pretty mixed

I'm trying to find a used version of the one that I did PT on which was a Woodway, but I haven't been able to find anything near me

I bought a preowned commercial Precor for $2500 in 2019. It came with a warranty and a brand new belt. We are lucky to have a really nice used fitness equipment store and have bought all kinds of stuff from them.

At the end of a race last year a lady near me pulled a plastic grocery bag (like from Kroger or Publix) from her running belt and used it for carrying bottles of drink, bananas, snacks, etc. Weighs nothing and takes up little space. Genius.
That said, it would be soooo useful if races did the same at the finish line.
I've got a little fold up reusable shopping bag I keep handy. It's about the size of a credit card and maybe a few cards thick. Unfolds to hold a ton of stuff! You can get them on Amazon for a few bucks.

New record T+D for me today in FL. 98 degrees + 76 dew point = 174 (feels like temp of 116) 😳 I didn’t run in it, but I live on a farm and had to work in it 😩 My daughter tried to fry an egg on the street today. The whites never cooked, but the yellow solidified into a jello type consistency 🤷‍♀️

After burning up a few high end treadmills over the years we currently have a Sole F80 in the house. Has a big 3.5 HP motor with an unlimited warranty on the motor and frame. I’m about 6’1” 195 lbs. Son is 6’4” 230 lbs. Daughter is 5’6” 155 lbs. Carries all the weights well. Heck we can all put 40-50 miles on it in one day with all the long runs and it’s fine
I have a Sole F80 too and love it. I got mine in 2017 and it’s still going. I got a treadmill maintenance guy in to look it over in 2021 and he tuned it up a little bit and that was it!

Quick question: I chafed today and am wondering, do I put Hydrocortisone or Polysporin 3+ on the plaques? Those are what I have home. TIA

New record T+D for me today in FL. 98 degrees + 76 dew point = 174 (feels like temp of 116) 😳 I didn’t run in it, but I live on a farm and had to work in it 😩 My daughter tried to fry an egg on the street today. The whites never cooked, but the yellow solidified into a jello type consistency 🤷‍♀️
You beat me, but not by much. 94-95 degrees and 74 dewpoint this afternoon. I'm used to running in the summer heat of Atl, but today got to me. I managed 3.74 miles of sub-11min/mile before being done with the running and making it a 15 min/mile walk for the couple of miles back to the car. The half this coming weekend won't be nearly as fast as I was initially wanting and hoping for, but OTOH I am glad to be back to running at all and training for the MCM.
I saw a friend this morning who is a much faster runner and he has sustained an injury worse than mine, and the non-running is driving him stir crazy. So I am counting my blessings that I'll be out there this weekend instead of having to defer.

Kudos on trying the egg.

If I had that budget for a treadmill I'd try to find a TrueForm Runner or Woodway Curve either used or on sale. I think the TrueForm trainer is under that price and Assault makes some manuals under that price but at with that budget I would only look at curved manual treadmills.

If I had that budget for a treadmill I'd try to find a TrueForm Runner or Woodway Curve either used or on sale. I think the TrueForm trainer is under that price and Assault makes some manuals under that price but at with that budget I would only look at curved manual treadmills.
I found a Woodway 4whatever used for $6k including delivery/install I may go look at tomorrow.

I haven’t tried the trueform trainers before, I was trying to find one near me to try before I buy. Are they good for long runs?

I found a Woodway 4whatever used for $6k including delivery/install I may go look at tomorrow.

I haven’t tried the trueform trainers before, I was trying to find one near me to try before I buy. Are they good for long runs?

I hate the treadmill so I haven't used any, manual or otherwise, for a long run but I can tell you any run I've done on a curved manual is much closer to road running than a powered belt treadmill.

I just got this email. It’s bad when even the treadmill option is taken away because of the heat:

As of Noon, Monday, August 13, the OVP Fitness Center and gymnasium (open gym) are closed due to the extreme heat and humidity. We ask for your patience as our air conditioning units at the Oconee Veterans Park gym and fitness center are struggling to keep these areas cool on very hot days.

We plan to reopen the Fitness Center and gymnasium tomorrow, August 14 at 8 a.m.

Thank you,

I’ve got UV roller blinds rolled down, matchstick blinds down over that, and thick, room darkening curtains drawn over that to help my AC out. Daytime temp is set at 75 and technically it’s keeping up… but the thermostat is located in the coolest, darkest spot of the house, away from all walls and windows. It’s easily 5-10 degrees warmer near the walls/windows. I tell my AC every day what a great job it’s doing, and how proud I am of its work! :thumbsup2

It finally rained yesterday, which brought some much appreciated relief. It didn’t last long, but it cooled off the roof (I’m in a top-floor condo, so that matters), and today we’ve “only” got a Heat Advisory for heat indexes up to 112, instead of the Excessive Heat Warnings of the past few days with heat indexes up to 115. :rolleyes: Gotta be honest: I feel no difference at all between the two: everything over 100 feels pretty similar to me.:rotfl:

I’m actually thinking of moving my run tomorrow to the treadmill. And I DESPISE the treadmill, so that’s saying something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter