The Running Thread—2023

Quick question for all the long-time runners and any new runners on here: if you're on a running/bike path and someone running in front of you holds up their left arm straight out, what does that mean? To me, it obviously means that the runner is going to turn and if there isn't a fork in the road, it means that the runner is going to turn around and switch directions. My wife just started running (training for the MW 10K) and did not think that this is obvious. I'm curious about other's opinions regarding this signal.
when i did a biking camp in middle school we were taught that signal for a left turn, so I would assume they were going to be moving left (and likely moving into the "other lane" on the path to either turn or u-turn)

Quick question for all the long-time runners and any new runners on here: if you're on a running/bike path and someone running in front of you holds up their left arm straight out, what does that mean? To me, it obviously means that the runner is going to turn and if there isn't a fork in the road, it means that the runner is going to turn around and switch directions. My wife just started running (training for the MW 10K) and did not think that this is obvious. I'm curious about other's opinions regarding this signal.
Add me to the group that’s never seen a runner do this! I do see (and I also do it) runners sometimes point to a bump or other impediment in the pavement, or a gator by the side of the path, or an interesting bird in a tree, so I think I’d look wherever that arm is pointing to see what‘s over there lol!

I’ve never seen arm signals from other runners unless it was an alligator by the creek 😂

I just selected my transportation time for the NY marathon. I’ve been team bus since i registered, but had FOMO at the last second about seeing the Statue of Liberty from the ferry.

I'm on the ferry. I'm staying in lower Manhattan, and can probably walk over to the terminal.

I finally got to run again this morning (this week started with a trip to the ER for my husband and him not being able to drive our son to school for the past three days), and it was not as hot (still 75, but that's a reprieve from the last few weeks), and I discovered that Mr. Blue Sky has the PERFECT beat for my easy run pace. So now to find songs with the same BPM.

Yikes! What a way to start the week! I hope everything is ok with your husband.

I love finding the perfect running song, and I would kill for 75 degrees right now. I'm just excited our heat alerts here are no longer purple.

Yikes! What a way to start the week! I hope everything is ok with your husband.

I love finding the perfect running song, and I would kill for 75 degrees right now. I'm just excited our heat alerts here are no longer purple.
It was so gross for the last few weeks. Heat advisories at 110-115. I don’t think we got below 80 even at night. So now anything below 80 feels downright chilly to me! 🤣

And thank you, he's doing much better now, thanks antibiotics!

I finally got to run again this morning (this week started with a trip to the ER for my husband and him not being able to drive our son to school for the past three days), and it was not as hot (still 75, but that's a reprieve from the last few weeks), and I discovered that Mr. Blue Sky has the PERFECT beat for my easy run pace. So now to find songs with the same BPM.
My loved reaction was for Mr Blue Sky, which is one of my favorite running songs, too! Not for the husband in the ER: nothing to love about that and hope he’s okay. We’ve FINALLY got some lows starting it’s a “7” in our forecast, too… I mean, it’s 78-79, but I’ll take it over 82-83 lol!

My loved reaction was for Mr Blue Sky, which is one of my favorite running songs, too! Not for the husband in the ER: nothing to love about that and hope he’s okay. We’ve FINALLY got some lows starting it’s a “7” in our forecast, too… I mean, it’s 78-79, but I’ll take it over 82-83 lol!
I will forever think of baby Groot when I hear Mr. Blue Sky.

I'm so sorry to hear you had a bad week last week. How scary to end up in the ER! I'm glad everything is going better now.

(I also love that song for running. Great cadence!)

I’ve never seen arm signals from other runners unless it was an alligator by the creek 😂

I just selected my transportation time for the NY marathon. I’ve been team bus since i registered, but had FOMO at the last second about seeing the Statue of Liberty from the ferry.

Are you supposed to sign up for transportation fines?

Are you supposed to sign up for transportation fines?

If you are running NY marathon, you need to go into your dashboard and select: When you want to go to expo for bib pickup, whether you are doing bag pre-check, and what transportation you plan on taking. The last one is a very narrow band of choice based on your expected finish. At this point, since this opened on Wednesday, you may not have a lot of choice. Also, keep in mind that bag pre-check will be done on Fri/Sat in Central Park and NOT on Sunday.

Mr Blue Sky is some awesome ELO. I have a number of ELO tunes in my running playlist.
Can't go wrong with Jeff Lynn

Showing my age (and veering off topic, I know), but ELO was my favorite band in high school. I saw them twice in concert. 🎶:rockband:🎶
They were and still are one of my absolute favorite bands since I was in high school back in the 80s.
I finally got to see them in person in 2019, and it is still one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter