The Running Thread—2023

The last few mornings have been in the mid-60s, and it had almost felt cool! But today back to mid-70s in the morning (dew point 68), and back to 108 today with 100s predicted for the next several days. Thankfully it’s not quite as humid mid-day at those temps as it is in FL or TX - dew point will probably be mid-50s.

Supposedly an email was sent out on August 8th about it, but I did not get it. I’m in a NY marathon FB group and they are so much better for info than NYRR.
Yes, I got the email. Were you able to pick the options that you wanted?

Yes, I got the email. Were you able to pick the options that you wanted?
Yes! I just logged in again today and they added earlier ferry times. I picked the 7am ferry, but now I can select 6:45. I should be in Wave 3 so I think I’ll stick with the 7am ferry.

Today’s lesson in How to (Not) Be a Dumb Runner: make sure you charge your running light before embarking on a (planned) hour and a half night run. I had to call for a ride home halfway through.

Thursday’s lesson in this series, for anyone who didn’t see my journal post, is: don’t run in the neighborhood on trash night 🤢

Today’s lesson in How to (Not) Be a Dumb Runner: make sure you charge your running light before embarking on a (planned) hour and a half night run. I had to call for a ride home halfway through.

Thursday’s lesson in this series, for anyone who didn’t see my journal post, is: don’t run in the neighborhood on trash night 🤢
Sometimes it can be really hard to know if those lights need a charge or not. I wish they had a little blinky or something to let you know what it's status was.

I used to bike to work in the early morning and winter in DC means it's dark! About half the time my light would die on me halfway there. No calling for an Uber then though. Just have to finish it out slowly on the sidewalk.

I’ve forgotten to look at my Garmin battery before. I’m still not great at it but now I know to check each weekend to see if it needs charging.

Sometimes it can be really hard to know if those lights need a charge or not. I wish they had a little blinky or something to let you know what it's status was.

I used to bike to work in the early morning and winter in DC means it's dark! About half the time my light would die on me halfway there. No calling for an Uber then though. Just have to finish it out slowly on the sidewalk.
Yeah, if I hadn’t had anyone at home to call, I would’ve just walked with my cell phone flashlight.

Thank you for the reminder. Don’t wanna spook any moose tomorrow

I ran (and walked) in the Roswell (Ga) Alien Half Marathon. It starts at 7 and end in the darkness, so they have the path lit with luminaries and most of us had some sort of light. Pretty nifty event, they really play up on the Area 51 theme, and well done in general. Fairly flat course along the river and very fast for those that are younger/thinner/more fit.
1. I had a 2 month layoff from running with severe leg pain that was finally diagnosed as a nerve getting pressure on it in my lower back, not my leg; it was just manifesting in my leg.
2. Five or 6 weeks of PT did wonders to getting me back to running, but the layoff left me way undertrained. I knew that simply finishing would be a victory, but I still wanted to do well.
3. Finish was 2:40, way slower than the PR I was hoping for way back when I signed up for it, but as mentioned, just finishing was a victory.
4. The leg pain did not crop up and turned out to be a non-factor, which means time to turn up the MCM training. What did rear its ugly head was the Morton's neuropathy in my one toe. Why now? I dunno.
5. I don't know if it was the undertraining, the heat, dehydration or overhydration, but halfway through I was definitely wondering:
a. How is this fun?
b. Do I really want to finish this?
c. I really signed up to do this 3 more times in the coming months? Why?
d. Really?
6. But I did complete it, albeit with way more walking than I cared for.
7. I've never felt that bad after anything short of a marathon. Again, I think I need to review the fuel and hydration information elsewhere on this forum.
8. The good news is that when I got up this morning, I could tell that I had run yesterday, but otherwise was fine, no hobbling, and I expect to go for a run tomorrow evening.

I did break out my vintage Disney Running shirt for the event and the medals were cool. I was turning out the lights to go to bed and was wondering why the medal was still so visible. Ah, it glows in the dark. Nice touch and way cool.
Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_8070.jpg
    IMG_8070.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Alien1.jpg
    Alien1.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Alien2.jpg
    Alien2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 11
I ran (and walked) in the Roswell (Ga) Alien Half Marathon. It starts at 7 and end in the darkness, so they have the path lit with luminaries and most of us had some sort of light. Pretty nifty event, they really play up on the Area 51 theme, and well done in general. Fairly flat course along the river and very fast for those that are younger/thinner/more fit.
1. I had a 2 month layoff from running with severe leg pain that was finally diagnosed as a nerve getting pressure on it in my lower back, not my leg; it was just manifesting in my leg.
2. Five or 6 weeks of PT did wonders to getting me back to running, but the layoff left me way undertrained. I knew that simply finishing would be a victory, but I still wanted to do well.
3. Finish was 2:40, way slower than the PR I was hoping for way back when I signed up for it, but as mentioned, just finishing was a victory.
4. The leg pain did not crop up and turned out to be a non-factor, which means time to turn up the MCM training. What did rear its ugly head was the Morton's neuropathy in my one toe. Why now? I dunno.
5. I don't know if it was the undertraining, the heat, dehydration or overhydration, but halfway through I was definitely wondering:
a. How is this fun?
b. Do I really want to finish this?
c. I really signed up to do this 3 more times in the coming months? Why?
d. Really?
6. But I did complete it, albeit with way more walking than I cared for.
7. I've never felt that bad after anything short of a marathon. Again, I think I need to review the fuel and hydration information elsewhere on this forum.
8. The good news is that when I got up this morning, I could tell that I had run yesterday, but otherwise was fine, no hobbling, and I expect to go for a run tomorrow evening.

I did break out my vintage Disney Running shirt for the event and the medals were cool. I was turning out the lights to go to bed and was wondering why the medal was still so visible. Ah, it glows in the dark. Nice touch and way cool.
Thank you for reading.
Congrats on finishing! Very neat looking race - fun theme!

~sigh~ Lows back in the 80s here. What I learned (or really, remembered anew…) on my 6-miler Sat morning is that the temp, humidity level, and dew point are mostly irrelevant to me this time of year: what matters most in terms of running misery is the infernal SUN. Once it was up, even walking in full sun spiked my HR, while I could run comfortably in the shade, despite a Feels Like well over 90. So I guess I’ll either be getting up even earlier (whimper) next week, or planning from the start to take the last couple miles of my 8 in the pool or on the treadmill. Two months to go until there’s at least the chance of a cool front…

~sigh~ Lows back in the 80s here. What I learned (or really, remembered anew…) on my 6-miler Sat morning is that the temp, humidity level, and dew point are mostly irrelevant to me this time of year: what matters most in terms of running misery is the infernal SUN. Once it was up, even walking in full sun spiked my HR, while I could run comfortably in the shade, despite a Feels Like well over 90. So I guess I’ll either be getting up even earlier (whimper) next week, or planning from the start to take the last couple miles of my 8 in the pool or on the treadmill. Two months to go until there’s at least the chance of a cool front…
I’ve been running at night. I had a feels like of 90°F on Saturday at 8:45 pm and I was perfectly fine (with a 1 minute slower pace adjustment) because there was no blankedy-blank sunshine. I would’ve had my full scheduled 7 miles done if my dang light hadn’t died on me 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

What I learned (or really, remembered anew…) on my 6-miler Sat morning is that the temp, humidity level, and dew point are mostly irrelevant to me this time of year: what matters most in terms of running misery is the infernal SUN. Once it was up, even walking in full sun spiked my HR, while I could run comfortably in the shade, despite a Feels Like well over 90.
Same! I feel like I need a three-dimensional T/D/sun chart because there is a massive difference between the same temp/humidity with and without sun.

I also feel strongly that there’s a cumulative heat stress component in play for those of us who’ve been running (okay, existing…) in extreme heat for months on end, no? Like it’s not just that we’re sick of it being so hot, but I always feel by late Aug/Sept. that my body is just tapped out from it. A couple summers when I was able to go north this time of year, it was SHOCKING how my body repointed so favorably to getting a break in cooler temps!

Nice job getting back out there and getting it done. Looks like it was a great race, although I'm glad I opted to do the Dream Mile HM in a few weeks (9/17) instead of this one. Hoping morning temps will have let up a bit by then but we will see. If you're up for more fun you can always join me (it's in Cumming so not to far from you I believe).

I also feel strongly that there’s a cumulative heat stress component in play for those of us who’ve been running (okay, existing…) in extreme heat for months on end, no? Like it’s not just that we’re sick of it being so hot, but I always feel by late Aug/Sept. that my body is just tapped out from it. A couple summers when I was able to go north this time of year, it was SHOCKING how my body repointed so favorably to getting a break in cooler temps!
These crazy high temps and less rain than usual is a huge factor for me this year. This is our fifth year owning this farm and it is way more brutal than it’s ever been. Normally I can put the horses in their pastures around 6ish, but most of this year it’s after 8pm. And if they had to stay in overnight due to storms I’ve always been able to put them out for a few hours in the early morning. Not this year! It’s way too hot by 7am for them to be out there.

Needless to say I’m looking forward to moving into my new house next week, living the “city” life and escaping to Maine at our lake property during the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter