The Running Thread—2023

100% correct from a practical standpoint. But having worked for larger corporations, it is never as easy as it should be. Event budgets are set a year in advance (most of the time) and changes have to run through multiple departments (FP&A so they track the budget and approve the overage spend compared to the originally approved budget for each component of the race; procurement to order more product; logistics to make sure it doesn't change # of buses needed and if it does, securing those additional busses and drivers, plus more hotel rooms for any additional out of area/state drivers they use; resort operations; safety; etc.). All of these same groups are handling the same stuff for the rest of the resort and parks too, so you're asking them to have to go back and revisit things they might have already planned for and moved on to their next job. So while you're right that it could be done fairly easy if just one person/group handled it all, the bureaucracy that comes from large organizations like Disney makes the effort involved in making sure all impacted groups know the change and are accommodating it, sadly not worth the return they get from the relatively small change.

Complete speculation on my part though and I admit I might be totally wrong!
Great point about corporate bureaucracy. I work for a large corporation and it totally skipped my mind how difficult it can be to make a change once something is in flight.

Last edited:
Needing to start planning out shoes for MW. I usually run in Asics Novablast 2. I haven't been able to find any good deals on them and the Novablast 3 are still full price everywhere. For that price point, I was thinking about trying out an older version of Nike Alphafly or Nike Vaporfly. Anyone have any opinions between the two shoes?

I'm a hard no on recommending the Alphafly. They have a Zoom Air pod on the bottom of the shoe, and mine popped after 100-150 miles (maybe?) which rendered the shoe pretty much useless. Maybe I got a bad design, or maybe I was too tough on them, but I'm not willing to shell out the money to give them another chance.

With that being said, I'm a big fan of the Vaporfly Next%. I've run thousands of miles in Next% 1 and 2, and have a pair of 3 with not a ton of use yet. So I can't give you a fair assessment of the 3s yet, but they didn't wow me out the box. I prefer the 2 over the 1. But in both cases, I was able to get 100 solid racing miles, 400 additional solid hard training run miles, and 500 additional moderate/long training run miles (total of 1000 miles per shoe) out of them. This is far and away more miles then I normally get from my Saucony Ride (350 miles) and Kinvara (150 miles) just for comparison. My data is debatable as to whether the shoes have made a measurable difference in performance, but it definitely feels like a fun shoe to race in. It feels like it's helping you/encouraging you down the road.

Doh!

Recently my Garmin went into low-power mode and seemed to shutdown, but thankfully had kept working with the screen dark. Hopefully your watch retained data.
When I plugged it in it turned back on with the workout paused where the watch died, so thankfully I at least got the data for the majority of it! And I learned a lesson to always charge my watch the night before a long run. :P

I'm a hard no on recommending the Alphafly. They have a Zoom Air pod on the bottom of the shoe, and mine popped after 100-150 miles (maybe?) which rendered the shoe pretty much useless. Maybe I got a bad design, or maybe I was too tough on them, but I'm not willing to shell out the money to give them another chance.

With that being said, I'm a big fan of the Vaporfly Next%. I've run thousands of miles in Next% 1 and 2, and have a pair of 3 with not a ton of use yet. So I can't give you a fair assessment of the 3s yet, but they didn't wow me out the box. I prefer the 2 over the 1. But in both cases, I was able to get 100 solid racing miles, 400 additional solid hard training run miles, and 500 additional moderate/long training run miles (total of 1000 miles per shoe) out of them. This is far and away more miles then I normally get from my Saucony Ride (350 miles) and Kinvara (150 miles) just for comparison. My data is debatable as to whether the shoes have made a measurable difference in performance, but it definitely feels like a fun shoe to race in. It feels like it's helping you/encouraging you down the road.
Awesome! Thanks for the input. I may look at the Vaporfly then. Love the "feels like it's helping you/encouring you down the road". I will take that entering the international gateway on Sunday. LOL.

Typing this out also makes me wonder if they pre purchased too many virtual kits and now are turning those into in person. I doubt this is the case, but who knows.
I've noticed the virtual races tied to race weekends always take a long time to sell out. For instance, the 2022 Marathon Weekend virtual races did not sell out until a couple of weeks after the medal reveal. I've done a couple of race weekend virtual races because I liked the medal/theme and was able to register every time after the medal reveal.

In fact this year, you could still register for Springtime Surprise virtual races in late January.
My watch died 7.13 miles into my 8 mile run. 😭
I've had that happen a few times. The worst by far was when it died during the half marathon one year so I lost the last 2 miles of data and all my logs make it look like I ran an 11 mile half marathon. So now, I'm always very diligent about monitoring my Garmin closely before long runs.

I've had that happen a few times. The worst by far was when it died during the half marathon one year so I lost the last 2 miles of data and all my logs make it look like I ran an 11 mile half marathon. So now, I'm always very diligent about monitoring my Garmin closely before long runs.
The annoying thing is I noticed it was at 40 percent yesterday and meant to plug it in overnight, but totally forgot.

I did my Main Street Bella Tiki Run virtual half today. The long and the short of it is: I finished, and I didn’t die. I’ll write up a journal post sometime later.
That's awesome. Congrats!!

I hope you celebrated appropriately 🥳

Just here to complain and solicit any advice:
I just moved back into the city which means running on concrete instead of our nice, cushy rail trails, and I jacked up my hip immediately. With 6 weeks to go until the Chicago Marathon. Pain is at like the very top of the pelvis, at the point that points up on the side of the hip. Hurts in the stance phase of running or walking on that side. Today is a day off, Pain started on the run Saturday and yesterday (Sunday) I was sane and did the bike/elliptical. I was able to bike for 90 min and then get on the elliptical for 30 min with zero pain on the bike and minimal pain (really minimal, like a 0.5/10) on the elliptical. I have a little pain today but not like it was Saturday. My thinking is to try running like half my scheduled run tomorrow if it doesn't hurt too bad? Does that make sense? And if it does, go back to the bike/elliptical? Or should I commit to taking more time away from running? Need someone to speak some sanity to me, I am so proud of myself for not just continuing to hammer it yesterday, as that is my normal MO. Is it a good sign that it actually felt better after biking and elliptical yesterday, not just not worse?

My thinking is to try running like half my scheduled run tomorrow if it doesn't hurt too bad? Does that make sense? And if it does, go back to the bike/elliptical? Or should I commit to taking more time away from running? Need someone to speak some sanity to me, I am so proud of myself for not just continuing to hammer it yesterday, as that is my normal MO. Is it a good sign that it actually felt better after biking and elliptical yesterday, not just not worse?

My first recommendation (as always) would be to consult with a physical therapist. Make sure that it isn't the start of something worse.

I would also take more than one day off. I had an intermittent hip pain which sounds very similar and I really messed things up by running on it before it was ready. It wound up causing a compensation injury on the other side, which actually took the longest to heal. If I had taken the time off at the beginning, my recovery probably would have been cut in half.

If part of you thinks that you shouldn't run, you probably shouldn't run.

I just moved back into the city which means running on concrete instead of our nice, cushy rail trails, and I jacked up my hip immediately. With 6 weeks to go until the Chicago Marathon. Pain is at like the very top of the pelvis, at the point that points up on the side of the hip. Hurts in the stance phase of running or walking on that side. Today is a day off, Pain started on the run Saturday and yesterday (Sunday) I was sane and did the bike/elliptical. I was able to bike for 90 min and then get on the elliptical for 30 min with zero pain on the bike and minimal pain (really minimal, like a 0.5/10) on the elliptical. I have a little pain today but not like it was Saturday. My thinking is to try running like half my scheduled run tomorrow if it doesn't hurt too bad? Does that make sense? And if it does, go back to the bike/elliptical? Or should I commit to taking more time away from running? Need someone to speak some sanity to me, I am so proud of myself for not just continuing to hammer it yesterday, as that is my normal MO. Is it a good sign that it actually felt better after biking and elliptical yesterday, not just not worse?
A similar experience I just had, not medical advice of course!

I had hip pain in the are you describe While training for my “A” race HM in June. Running became too painful to continue. I ended up taking a week off of running (2 weeks before race) and walked all the miles in my training plan instead. When I tried running the week before, I still had pain (a 1-2 on a scale) but it didn’t worsen when I continued so I kept at it. Made it to race day, oddly enough had NO pain during the race and had a stellar PR.

Hope you find an answer/relief! So frustrating.

In addition to seeing a medical professional, I’d avoid running for a few days and stick with cycling and swimming too. Both can keep your fitness up without loading your pelvis and legs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter