• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2016

Seems like every weekend is one of those for me (Alabama). Thankfully we have this week off. I am pulling for the Huskers this weekend!
As a Nebraskan I thank you for pulling for us! It should be a good game, I'm sure it will be frustrating at times with our Quarterback as he likes to keep us on our toes
A bye week is always welcome... Our bye week is synonymous with the weekend of fall weddings in Nebraska.

Thanks and Go Big Red!
I shoot weddings (in Omaha/Lincoln area) & yes we're always booked that weekend! I hope this game isn't as hard to watch as others have been at times, but at least our 4th quarters have been great & Westerkamp is back! GO BIG RED!

As a Nebraskan I thank you for pulling for us! It should be a good game, I'm sure it will be frustrating at times with our Quarterback as he likes to keep us on our toes
I shoot weddings (in Omaha/Lincoln area) & yes we're always booked that weekend! I hope this game isn't as hard to watch as others have been at times, but at least our 4th quarters have been great & Westerkamp is back! GO BIG RED!

My prediction:

LOL! Hoping for a good game! ON WISCONSIN!

So I just booked (well, waitlisted since booking doesn't open until January) a 4 bdrm Presidential at Bonnet Creek for a week for our family vacation next year and realized it could possibly be W&D race weekend! Is it always the first weekend in November? We are going 10/29-11/5, which I could extend to 11/6 if it is W&D weekend. :)

Pretty likely. I think it almost always bumps up against Veterans Day.

EDIT: I never want to say "always" when it comes to runDisney. They announced changes to W&D this year less than 24 hours before early registration began, so you never know!
I don't know if anyone noticed, but the event guide for this year's Wine and Dine does list the dates for next year and it is 11/2-11/5. So while I agree that it's never say never with RunDisney, it seems that that will be the weekend. Even with all the additions and changes for this year they didn't change the dates of the weekend (just expanded it to include Thursday and Sunday).

Hi Everyone!! I check in here now and again and just can't seem to keep up! I miss being able to though.

So, I went back to my old job in the last two weeks. YAY! I'm very excited about that; although I was able to keep up with the board in the job I had, I was incredibly bored and not feeling productive, so a change had to be made! My old job though is incredibly busy and on top of that in an area where I can't bring electronic devices! I had to dig out an old ipod and purchase a pair of headphones with no microphone on them (by the way, that's incredibly hard these days and still get good sounding ones.)!

With that said, I'm finding it very difficult to run. Between the seasons change and the actual working (and future late nights to come), my night runs are not going to work. So I have two issues: 1. I hate mornings, and 2. It's dark still in the morning! What's a girl to do!!

It should be a fun one! Unfortunately we gave up our season tickets 4 years ago because of the awful home game slate for the next couple of years (the last 3). This would have been a good season to buy back in though with two top 10 home night games. But with my daughter now, and my wife working all of the games at her store (they're roasting candy corn!), it's better for me to just watch in the comfort of my home. Plus, this weekend is the Halloween festival in Madison which can get CRAZY! Not as bad as it was when I was in school with 100,000+ in a few blocks. I don't want to be anywhere near the downtown area. I'm actually going to work tomorrow morning at 5:30am to get a quick thing done so I don't have to drive back in to pick up my wife when she's finished tomorrow night.

It should be another electric atmosphere. Hoping that both teams can come out injury free and give their best effort. I'll be thinking of Sam Foltz during the game. I know him and our kicker (Gags) were good friends. Let's see if you guys get 27 (his number) points for the third consecutive game. Best of luck!
I was going to go today. Unfortunately I have to work the Milwaukee Bucks game. Thankfully I'll get to watch the game via my phone and the ESPN app though. This weekend will be crazy in Madison with Halloween, I have a bunch of friends going.

QOTD: With daylight saving time ending on November 6, and our runs are getting lasting longer into the afternoon, I figured now would be a good time to discuss what do you do to make yourself visible when you are running in the dark? So what items do you run with so you can be seen by others on the road? Do you have certain routes that you stick to that have more street lighting? Routes with uneven surfaces become a problem? How about safety from people who may wish to cause you harm?.

LL Bean headlamp and when weather calls for it, a Nike all over reflective jacket! During really snowy times I stay away from heavy traffic roads in case of slip and slides.

Here we are in the last race weekend of October and this weekend we have the following posters with races:

29 - @Miranda - Great Bay 5K (33:00 / N/A)
29 - @derekleigh - Meredith Bay Trick of Trot 5K (21:30 / N/A)(or sub 7:00 pace)
29 - @IamTrike - Peak to Creek Marathon (3:30:00 / N/A)
30 - @DVCFan1994 - Marine Corps Marathon (NG / N/A)
30 - @roxymama - Hot Chocolate 15k (1:34:31/ N/A)
30 - @MommaoffherRocker - Evergreen Pumpkin Run 10 Miler (NG / N/A)

If you would like to revise your race day goal or any other changes, just let me know. Good luck to everyone this weekend!

@DVCFan1994 I think I may have put the wrong race or date next to this or something. please correct me if I am wrong.

Race results- 22:25. No PR sadly.

The Huskers! :sad2:
At least it was a good game, not the outcome I wanted of course & that no ref call in OT on pass interference sucked but we didn't capitalize on scoring opportunities & our QB was well our QB....so on to next weekend. I'm hoping the game will put me to sleep before the wine & dine half...can't really see that happening though but wishful thinking.

At least it was a good game, not the outcome I wanted of course & that no ref call in OT on pass interference sucked but we didn't capitalize on scoring opportunities & our QB was well our QB....so on to next weekend. I'm hoping the game will put me to sleep before the wine & dine half...can't really see that happening though but wishful thinking.

Agreed, good game! That was definitely pass interference and definitely should have been called. Alas, your season goals are still not lost. You still control your own destiny. And between your @tOSU game and our @Northwestern game I think it all works itself out. I highly doubt Wisconsin will win at Northwestern. You win out and you'll rep the West against Michigan in the Championship. Win that and you might (more likely than not) go to the playoffs.

I see where you're coming from... Game days in Lincoln are absolutely incredible, but they can be exhausting too! I do miss the days of $20/game student season tickets though! Sometimes nothing beats the comfort of your own couch and having "instant replay" with your own remote. :)

Every team we've played this year has done something very nice in memory of Sam Foltz... It's touching and really makes you realize the good that can come from competition!

Hoping for a great game! Good luck!

Edited to add: Ummm roasting candy corn? This is intriguing... tell me more?

Hope you enjoyed the thrilling game!

They decided not to roast candy corn and rather hand it out instead. They had a shirt that said "Bucky's Annual Corn Roasting".

Agreed, good game! That was definitely pass interference and definitely should have been called. Alas, your season goals are still not lost. You still control your own destiny. And between your @tOSU game and our @Northwestern game I think it all works itself out. I highly doubt Wisconsin will win at Northwestern. You win out and you'll rep the West against Michigan in the Championship. Win that and you might (more likely than not) go to the playoffs.

Hope you enjoyed the thrilling game!

They decided not to roast candy corn and rather hand it out instead. They had a shirt that said "Bucky's Annual Corn Roasting".
Don't get too far ahead of things! I hope you're right since I'm a Michigan fan, but Michigan ends the season against Ohio State. If Ohio State wins out and beats them, they'll win the tiebreaker and go to the conference Championship game. No matter how good Michigan is, they rarely beat OSU, which is so frustrating!

Checking in real quick. Finished my 15k. Longest I've ran ever (even in training) and I surprised myself. 1:33:06 final.
The last mile was so windy and uphill but I literally thought of all of you and got silly emotional at the end. Phew!

Congrats @roxymama!! That's unfortunate about the wind, but at least the temp was good this morning and no rain. Great effort and result!

My husband and I went on a short practice run to make sure our costumes for the mickey's holiday 5k worked and it was so much fun watching people's faces! Apparently it's a little strange to see Minnie and a yeti running around... :confused3:lmao:

Haha! At least it's basically Halloween! There were two people dressed as pizza at my race today and I kept making up dialogue for them. "I thought this was a costume race". " no one else is dressed as pizza". "Remind me why we are dressed as pizza?" Etc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter