• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2016

Congrats @roxymama!! That's unfortunate about the wind, but at least the temp was good this morning and no rain. Great effort and result!
. I woke up to stormy rain at home so was so thankful it cleared! Wore a hat just in case but the wind took my hat up to hat heaven in the sky. Thanks for all the veteran 15k tips though...they helped especially during the mile 5 out and back you warned me about :)

@roxymama .....glad you had a great 15k. Too much wind is no fun. With all of our technology available today, let's figure out a way to keep the wind away on race days? Too much to ask for?!!!

My October totals:

Running - 197 miles
Average Running Heart Rate - 138 BPM
P90X - 9 hours

I ran two 20 milers in October - have a 22 miler scheduled for this coming Sunday. I have also begun to lengthen my Saturday run. If everything goes well, by the end of November my Thursday-Sunday runs will be at 4M, 7M, 11M, 22M (already at 4M, 6M, 8M, 20M). Feeling pretty Dopey.

Checking in real quick. Finished my 15k. Longest I've ran ever (even in training) and I surprised myself. 1:33:06 final.
The last mile was so windy and uphill but I literally thought of all of you and got silly emotional at the end. Phew!

Congrats on the race! Great feeling isn't it?!?!

All this Big 10 Football talk and I have remained quiet! As a Spartan fan, and 6 consecutive losses, I am ready to talk about... The basketball season!

Here is to a Big 10 program marching to the playoffs and winning it all. Congrats to all that ran races this weekend!

As a SEC fan of a school not named Kentucky, if we have to move onto another sport I would like to talk baseball. We had the #1 draft pick and did not even go to the NIT!!! Its going to be really bad this year.

QOTD: October is nearly over... Post your monthly totals and how did things go based on your goals?

I am currently at 155 for the month, but I still need to run today which I finally feel well enough to do again. We are still down to one car as ours has been in the shop for over a week now. Its making life a little difficult. As far as reaching my goals for the month I hit one of three. One was a weekly miles PR. The two not reached were 200 mile for the month and a half marathon PR. Missing this past week kinda killed the monthly total goal. Time to move on and start November off strong tomorrow!

October totals:

Miles: 182.1
Time: 26:21
Pace: 8:41

I have less than 2 weeks until the marathon. One of my coaches from last year sent this out. I'm starting to show symptoms.

(Richmond, VA) Authorities are alerting the public of a virus more contagious than even Zika. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, you are at risk of the TM virus. These may involve the following:

- Phantom pains: in legs, feet, knees, hips or other body parts.

- Panic attacks: racing heart, nervous energy, depression and/or extreme excitement.

- Weight gain: unrealistic feelings of bloating and super morbid obesity.

- Crankiness: Inability to be reasoned with.

- Temporary Amnesia: A sense of being completely out of shape despite have logged hundreds of miles and numerous cross training activities.

- Preoccupation: Bordering on obsession with meteorology, forecasts and weather patterns

- Germaphobic hysteria: Intense fear of getting sick resulting in purchasing Purell by the gallon at Costco?

- Distraction: Inability to focus on anything except the marathon and its related topics, i.e. shoes, running clothes, throw away clothes, hats, hydration belts, pace charts, GU’s, gels, Garmins, water bottles, salt, race web site, MTT message board, course map, resting heart rate, and carbs.

Chances are if you are receiving this email you have caught the TM virus… TAPER MADNESS!! The good news is that its 100% curable and all symptoms will dissipate shortly after 7:45am on Nov 12th.

ATTQOTD: Wow, I had to go back and add twice! In October I ran 65.5 miles, with an average pace around 13:30. I did not miss a single training run - when I flaked on one I did it the next day. This is my highest mileage to date. At first I was not happy with the time, then remembered I have been trying to keep my really long runs to about a 14:00-14:30 average. I'm training for endurance for my first Marathon, not speed. :)

ATTQOTD: I better post before I read more other replies as my results are really nothing compared to everyone else. But since this was the first month of being back at running after an injury, I am still happy about what I acchieved!

miles: 25.02
pace: 11:46

Next month will not be a lot more since I am going to be on vacation. I will be happy enough if I manage to keep the same mileage for November.

QOTD: October is nearly over... Post your monthly totals and how did things go based on your goals?

October Training Summary
Total Miles: 107.5 miles
Total Time: 15:37:44
Average Pace: 8:43/mi
Average HR: 146/min

Goal report: hmmm... well, I'm not sure I achieved any of my original plans this month. I started having some left hip flexor pain on longer runs at the very beginning of the month, so initially this made me miss a few workouts for rest/recovery. Then, due to the same issue, my coach and I significantly reduced mileage on all my weekend long runs, and finally, we decided that my half marathon this month made no sense, even as a training run, so I didn't race (or even run) my fall half marathon.

Funny thing is... I'm still in a good place. I'm happy I was able to put in over 100 miles, I'm feeling good about where I currently am as far as running and training, and my next race is Dark Side Challenge in April, so there is currently no pressure to be hitting specific targets. Though, it is quite odd to be following a marathon training plan with reduced long runs targeting a race date that doesn't exist, but at least it gives me some structure to my running workouts.

October Totals (with one 3 miler left tonight not included):
Total Miles: 138.2
Running Time: 24:23:47
Average Pace: 10:31 min/mile

Things went really well this month and I was able to complete all my scheduled runs at the prescribed distances. At this point, I'm into my taper with race day approaching. Next Sunday we'll see if it all pans out. I'm a little nervous about the race and just need it to get here so I can settle down and get it done.

Things went really well this month and I was able to complete all my scheduled runs at the prescribed distances. At this point, I'm into my taper with race day approaching. Next Sunday we'll see if it all pans out. I'm a little nervous about the race and just need it to get here so I can settle down and get it done.

@camaker......you're almost there! Best of luck with your marathon. (How is the weather looking?!!)

Total Miles: 162.41
Total Time: 26:21:21
Average Pace: 9:44/mi

I hit 2/4 goals for the month. I set a new monthly distance PR by almost 50 miles, and ran my half. I didn't stick to my long run pace as I had originally planned, but that was to be expected. I did however set a new PR by over 10 minutes. I did not set a new weekly PR or stick to my training plan completely. With just over two months until Dopey time to crack down and not go astray from my plan too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter