The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: Now that the time change has happened, are you enjoying getting your afternoon runs in when the suns still up?

I run in the mornings. As much as I think DST is a dumb practice which needs to be killed off, I do like having cooler and darker mornings for my runs now.

QOTD: Now that the time change has happened, are you enjoying getting your afternoon runs in when the suns still up?

I don't mind running in the dark but do prefer running in the evening with the sun still up. Running during DST is better for the times I run for sure.

I have still not run outside. Every day I leave work and love the light and think about running, until I see the mountains of snow and ice that we still have and its back to the treadmill.

ATTQOTD: I run after work and it is nice that it will be light later. When I was doing some of my longer runs it was dark before I was able to head for home.

ATTQOTD: I run in the morning otherwise I most likely wouldn't run at all. But since I live in Arizona we don't deal with DST, and I am thankful that my morning runs are now getting a sunrise with them.

ATTQOTD: I’m a huge fan of the spring daylight savings change. I split my runs pretty evenly in the morning and evening.

Even with the darker morning runs, my mind is assured that in a few weeks, it’ll start getting brighter. The afternoon runs are more pleasant since I don’t have to bust out the headlamp.

ATTQOTD: I do most of my training during the week in the evening, so I definitely enjoy being able to get my runs in before the sun goes down.

ATTQOTD: I get to work at 6 AM so my weekday runs happen at lunch or right after work. My after work runs were typically ending right as the sun set, and it was kind of peaceful. However, I love having a few extra hours of sunlight after I’m done. If it ever warms up, it will be nice to sit outside and have dinner.

ATTQOTD: I will probably be more inclined to wake up early and run as it will start to warm up. I don’t mind running in the dark in the morning but will enjoy being able to be more visible to people driving to and from work.

DST doesn't change anything for me. At most, it makes us late (later than usual since we are always late) because it gives me the false sense that it is earlier in the day than it actually is.

My new favorite spring half is canceled due to road construction, so looking for an alternate.

Has anyone run the Tear Drop Half Marathon in Chatsworth/Fort Mountain GA?

http://www.teardrophalf.com/

Almost seems like cheating:

View attachment 310319

Is gaining 10 pounds an advantage on a downhill course? If so, I'm golden.

That's some pretty serious downhill running in the second half of the race. Be careful not to beat your quads up too much or else you won't have anything left when it flattens out to the finish.

ATTQOTD: I LOVE SUNNY AFTERNOONS AND EVENINGS! (sorry was that in all caps? I got a little excited)
I am not a morning runner just yet...if ever. So I do enjoy more hours to fit in non-dark runs. As a woman in an urban area, I appreciate sunlight.

My new favorite spring half is canceled due to road construction, so looking for an alternate.

Has anyone run the Tear Drop Half Marathon in Chatsworth/Fort Mountain GA?

http://www.teardrophalf.com/

Almost seems like cheating:

View attachment 310319

Is gaining 10 pounds an advantage on a downhill course? If so, I'm golden.

If that's not quite downhill enough for you, you could come up to NC for The Scream Half Marathon in Jonas Ridge. It features a 2,300 ft elevation drop across the course:

upload_2018-3-21_16-56-51.png

I'm hoping to PR at Wineglass this fall, it's net downhill although not that much. :) I don't think a PR is in the cards for this spring, but I'm working on it!

ATTQOTD: I have no strong feelings about DST since my runs are split pretty 50/50 between mornings and evenings. This winter my evening runs were usually finished by dusk since I had to be finished by the end of my kids’ swim practice and that meant the winter sun was usually blinding at some point during my run. At least with the time change, the sun isn’t quite so low on the horizon.

ATTQOTD: I hate DST with every fiber of my being, so I literally change my schedule to deal with it - instead of working 8a-5p, now I work 9a-6 to keep my day on the same cycle as EST :) So while my evening runs are technically an hour later by the clock, they're still happening at the same time of day. I'd like some kind of reverse DST where we fall back a couple hours in summer, so I could run at sunset without having to wait until bedtime to do it. :headache:
I'm seriously considering doing this. I've never loved DST but this year seemed to affect me more than ever. It's harder to wake up when it's dark, those 6:30a meetings come even earlier, and it's harder for me to go to sleep at night when the sun is out so late. I was about as useful as a zombie last week... At least everyone else was on spring break so there was no one around at work to notice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter