The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I carry my own electrolyte drink because I don't usually like the race-provided options, but I just drink the course water so I don't have to carry that as well.

I'm a vodka snob.

I do not carry any liquids during a Disney race as they have WAY more water stops than I even need. :)

This is great to know!

I typically don't carry during a race so I utilize the stops. Pinching the cup - need to remember that one.
I was wondering if I might need to carry when I do the HM in 2019. But now I see that I shouldn't. I never worried about taking hydration breaks while training until I started running 6 miles or more (and the fact that it is HOT right now). Now I have to put a bottle in my mailbox and take a short break when I make my passes.

ATTQOTD: A mix, depending on the race and conditions.

If it's less than a half, I probably don't drink during it, unless it's super-hot or humid. For longer races, my preference is generally to carry my own so I can drink on my own schedule, but I have a friend who is encouraging me to not do that for the marathon and so I have practiced some with on course options. I have trouble drinking out of the cups while running, so it will end up being a short walking break. If it's really hot, I have no shame when it comes to dumping the rest of the water over my head. (This felt really, really good during the Dark Side Half this year.)

I dislike my electrolyte drinks so that continues to be a challenge that I'm working on finding a solution for. I typically carry the Clif Bloks that have sodium to help combat this.

Oh, and I am a gin snob, if by snob we mean will drink any type and give you an opinion on it.

I have never carried my own drink during a race. I have to walk or I end up choking/spilling, up my nose, what have you, a mess more times than not. I have tried the pinch cup thing, but sometimes there's too much and it still ends up all over me. One race around here does straws and lids so that's easier :) I don't think I've ever done a race that had anything but paper cups, but honestly I can't remember that far back.

I'm actually debating and have 3 months to decide If I'll hand carry my bottle (which I can run and drink) with electrolyte drink as my marathon uses HEED on course & I really don't like it, maybe they mix it wrong or something but I think it's funky tasting. I don't know what to do as 26 miles with a handheld sounds annoying and I can't do belts (my hip hates them).

ATTQOTD: Never carry, just use whatever they have on the course. I even build up tolerance during training runs by using the most obnoxious flavor available, like jalapeno-grape-salmon. So whatever I encounter on race day is inert by comparison.

I don't worry too much about spills My best spill was red Gatorade with a white shirt: it looked like I had been shot.

popcorn:: While waiting for this topic to pick up steam. Side note, the best BBQ I have had was some random place in TX. Dry rub ribs that they served on freezer paper or something. I cant recall the name of if, but remember the inside and the taste. It was so much better than any rack of ribs I ever put on the grill.

The best BBQ I ever ate was in a gas station in Austin. Rudy's I believe. Butcher paper, cold longneck, corn pudding stuff on the side, slice of bread. No sauce. Ruined me on all other BBQ. Have to go back.

I base BBQ places solely on their Mac N Cheese.

Now I make some killer mac and cheese! So good that on my old roommates bachelor party he requested that I cook two things. My world famous mac and cheese, and a cake with my homemade icing that my grandmaw taught me to make lol.

Dry-rub ribs, no sauce needed ... Texas BBQ. That's the way it should be done!

Most places serve BBQ on butcher paper and cafeteria trays around here. My favorite place is Black's in Lockhart ... you pick up a cafeteria tray and go through and pick out your sides (cole slaw, multiple kinds of potato salad, mac 'n' cheese, rolls, cornbread, beans & rice, deviled eggs, etc.) and then you go into the smokehouse and they slice the meat right there for you.

Add in an ice cold longneck beer, and it's heaven on a tray.

There's a new BBQ truck down the street from me that's pretty, pretty legit. I get a fatty brisket sammich and mac 'n' cheese there and the brisket is SO juicy, it leaves a spot on the butcher paper.

View attachment 331235

Now I want brisket. And mac 'n' cheese.

That beer is suspect.

Yours truly,

"Beer Snob"

I'm a vodka snob.

When mixed with redbull I am all over that stuff in my college days. Could not use monster though.

TOMORROW we can take on what is the greatest grocery stores! Just a hint, Texas folks I am jelly of you and wish a certain chain would come here, or just the warm buttered tortillas. HEAVEN! @Keels your next time down I-10 hook me up lol.

TOMORROW we can take on what is the greatest grocery stores! Just a hint, Texas folks I am jelly of you and wish a certain chain would come here, or just the warm buttered tortillas. HEAVEN! @Keels your next time down I-10 hook me up lol.

None of them. Grocery stores are the worst.

I have never carried my own drink during a race. I have to walk or I end up choking/spilling, up my nose, what have you, a mess more times than not. I have tried the pinch cup thing, but sometimes there's too much and it still ends up all over me.

You have accurately summed up my entire race drinking experience in these three sentences. I use the course provided liquids and slow to a walk to avoid the pitfalls you've described. I'm honestly surprised I haven't grievously injured myself or someone else in the few attempts I've made to drink while running.

I can do the gatorade-type squirt bottles while on the move, but I'm not carrying one of those with me for an entire race.

The best BBQ I ever ate was in a gas station in Austin. Rudy's I believe. Butcher paper, cold longneck, corn pudding stuff on the side, slice of bread. No sauce. Ruined me on all other BBQ. Have to go back.

Rudy’s is awesome.

ATTQOTD: I do both. Bring my own water so I can have it in between water stops if needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter