• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

Congratulations to @camaker for joining the ultramarathoner ranks! Great accomplishment!

Surfin' Santa 5 Miler race report:

I've been wanting to do this race since I first learned about it a few years back, because 1) running in a Santa suit(!!) and 2) running through the holiday lights display along the boardwalk in Virginia Beach!! What's not to love? It's just never worked out with my schedule until now. The organizers give you two options on sign-up, a race shirt or a Santa suit. Of course I went with the Santa suit, since I was strictly doing this for fun. The race doesn't start until 4:30 PM, but we live 180 miles away, so my wife, youngest daughter, and I left around 9 AM in case of traffic. On the way there, we stopped in Williamsburg to have lunch with my niece and her family, who had just graduated that morning from the College of William and Mary. After lunch with my in-laws, we got to the race start around 3:00. I got my Santa suit and took a few pictures while we were checking out the small expo. Luckily, the race starts and finishes at the Virginia Beach Convention Center, so we were able to avoid the same rain that was soaking @camaker at his race just a few miles away earlier that day. Here I am posing with my wife at one of the expo photo stops:
Surfin Santa pre-race photo.jpg

Since the pants were a little loose and it was a bit warm (~60 at the start), I eventually just ran with the hat, jacket, and belt. As more of the runners arrived, we saw so many great costumes - elves, angels, the Grinch, toy soldiers, and even a Christmas tree. Everyone was excited and in a festive mood. The race course itself was a T-shape, traveling down to the ocean shore about a mile away, then turning parallel to the boardwalk before doubling back along the boardwalk itself for the holiday light-show (hence the late afternoon start, to enjoy the lights), before doubling back again and then returning to the convention center. We started just past 4:30, and luckily the rain had stopped. Despite it being December, I was definitely feeling warm in my Santa jacket, and was glad to hit the first aid station, Gum Drop Lane, for some candy and water. Unfortunately, the first cup I grabbed from a volunteer was totally empty (o_O)! Luckily, the next cup had some water, which I was happy to have as I headed down the boardwalk. This was the first time I've seen the holiday light display at the boardwalk, and it did not disappoint. I didn't bring a camera, but here's a shot from the web:
virginia-beach-christmas-lights.jpg

The light display was about 1.25 miles, and was such fun to run along! Plus, a bunch of the beach-side bars were open and full of revelers, many also in holiday costumes, cheering us along. The boardwalk ended at Gingerbread Cookie Corner, where volunteers dressed as gingerbread people passed out water and cookies. Leaving the boardwalk, it was about 1.5 miles back to the convention center, with an indoor finish, post-race party, hot soup, and of course beer. Re-hydrating with my medal:
Surfin Santa post-race photo.jpg
We shared a table with a nice local couple, and enjoyed the band for a bit before we headed home. Thanks for reading, and if you ever get a chance to run this event, do it! It's a flat course along the boardwalk lights with a great crowd and good support. I really enjoyed it and hope to do it again. :thumbsup2 to the organizers for a fun race.

Chip time: 38:08, 111st overall, 7th in M45-49.

Last edited:
Congratulations to @camaker for joining the ultramarathoner ranks! Great accomplishment!

Surfin' Santa 5 Miler race report:

I've been wanting to do this race since I first learned about it a few years back, because 1) running in a Santa suit(!!) and 2) running through the holiday lights display along the boardwalk in Virginia Beach!! What's not to love? It's just never worked out with my schedule until now. The organizers give you two options on sign-up, a race shirt or a Santa suit. Of course I went with the Santa suit, since this was strictly doing this for fun. The race doesn't start until 4:30 PM, but we live 180 miles away, so my wife, youngest daughter, and I left around 9 AM in case of traffic. On the way there, we stopped in Williamsburg to have lunch with my niece and her family, who had just graduated that morning from the College of William and Mary. After lunch with my in-laws, we got to the race start around 3:00. I got my Santa suit and took a few pictures while we were checking out the small expo. Luckily, the race starts and finishes at the Virginia Beach Convention Center, so we were able to avoid the same rain that was soaking @camaker at his race just a few miles away earlier that day. Here I am posing with my wife at one of the expo photo stops:
View attachment 370147

Since the pants were a little loose and it was a bit warm (~60 at the start), I eventually just ran with the hat, jacket, and belt. As more of the runners arrived, we saw so many great costumes - elves, angels, the Grinch, toy soldiers, and even a Christmas tree. Everyone was excited and in a festive mood. The race course itself was a T-shape, traveling down to the ocean shore about a mile away, then turning parallel to the boardwalk before doubling back along the boardwalk itself for the holiday light-show (hence the late afternoon start, to enjoy the lights), before doubling back again and then returning to the convention center. We started just past 4:30, and luckily the rain had stopped. Despite it being December, I was definitely feeling warm in my Santa jacket, and was glad to hit the first aid station, Gum Drop Lane, for some candy and water. Unfortunately, the first cup I grabbed from a volunteer was totally empty (o_O)! Luckily, the next cup had some water, which I was happy to have as I headed down the boardwalk. This was the first time I've seen the holiday light display at the boardwalk, and it did not disappoint. I didn't bring a camera, but here's a shot from the web:
View attachment 370152

The light display was about 1.25 miles, and was such fun to run along! Plus, a bunch of the beach-side bars were open and full of revelers, many also in holiday costumes, cheering us along. The boardwalk ended at Gingerbread Cookie Corner, where volunteers dressed as gingerbread people passed out water and cookies. Leaving the boardwalk, it was about 1.5 miles back to the convention center, with an indoor finish, post-race party, hot soup, and of course beer. Re-hydrating with my medal:
View attachment 370153
We shared a table with a nice local couple, and enjoyed the band for a bit before we headed home. Thanks for reading, and if you ever get a chance to run this event, do it! It's a flat course along the boardwalk lights with a great crowd and good support. I really enjoyed it and hope to do it again. :thumbsup2 to the organizers for a fun race.

Chip time: 38:08, 111st overall, 7th in M45-49.

Congrats! It’s a fun race!

Hardcore Challenge 16.2

Sixth year running the Huntersville Half marathon this year. Its a race that literally comes right by my house. The race is actually managed by the man who is gym I train it and who is my own trainer. So my excuses to not run it are pretty limited. It was my first ever half marathon 5 years ago.

This year the 5k was moved from Saturday morning to Friday evening. Thus the challenge, running a 5k at 7pm Friday then a half marathon the next morning.

I ran the US National triathlon in Cleveland in mid-August, and my training for the half had been poor. I had a great month before, with a 10 plus run and just short 12 the day after Thanksgiving, but the reality I was not trained enough.

Friday night 5k

The course is all in my neighborhood, on roads I run all the time. The goal was to take it easy, somewhere in the 27 min range. The weather was just perfect, mid 40s and dry. Got to the start line 15 minutes before the start, got a small warmup and then we raced. First mile was a 8:03 and all of sudden I was moving alot faster than planned. Ended up going mid 24s, for a 7:55 mile average. It was one of weird moments that I just felt great.

Saturday morning 13.1 - Huntersville Half

Got the start line 15 mins before the start again. It was cloudy in the low 40s. Last year it snowed during the race and year before it was 19 at the start - so this was really not bad. BTW 24 hours later we had 5 inches of snow...

No reason to get there early, and stand around in the cold. I had been up early and enjoyed not having to stress. The course is got some hill, almost all of them in second half. Usually I got fast in this race, under a sub 1:50 pace for the first 5 miles then slow down. Today was different, as during my training I had been running real consistent sub 9s in my long runs. Went out much slower and maintained a good pace. Mile 5.5 is when the hills hit, and yeah the 5k from last night made it a longer day. The hills hurt, but I finished sub 2 hours. My slowest time in 6 years but still broke 2 hours.

Disney is 5 weeks after this race. I would say unusually for me - my mental game was the strongest part of my race. I had confidence that I could run the race, and could finish. Going under 2 hours was the goal. I hit 10 miles right at 90 minutes, and even though the last 5k had a truly nasty hill (on the road I live), I knew a sub 30 minute 5k was doable.

I am considering the Disney half becoming my last half. As my trainer said, I have proven I can go sub 2 hr in a half. I enjoy running 5 to 7 miles, running over 8 is just not something I would do naturally.

Once again caught up...yes, that is why some of you have likes on posts that are three weeks old.

Now a question. Who is headed to Chicago this October??

Ditto to the catching up...definitely enjoyed seeing everyone's fur babies :-D

Finished Space Coast (south half), and LOVED it. Pretty scenery, awesome course support (and for once, didn't feel alone at the end!), and wasn't *too* warm until the very end. Super proud of myself, too -- totally consistent (within a few seconds each mile), didn't have the usual experience of having the wheels fall off at 10 miles (actually overtook folks at the end), and shaved off a few minutes from Baltimore. And I still felt good after (so *that's* what a course with no hills feels like!).

Plus, the theming was awesome for this hardcore space nerd. This totally cemented the desire to return and finish out the series over the next few years. Next step is just trying to see if being a former NASA employee might get me into KSC for free (I know it's awesome, but $50+ just feels so excessive).

For recent questions:
- ideal race distances: either 5k/10k or 10k/10mile. I do like the 10k distance, 5k is nice and easy, while 10mile is long enough to feel really accomplished, but not quite as draining as the half.
- best swag: have enjoyed the couple of towels I've gotten (Space Coast, as well as the B10 this year), some nice Under Armour pullovers (being in Baltimore has its perks), and the sweet waterproof bag and race hat from Garden Spot Village. Otherwise, spent some time earlier today sorting through race shirts to separate the keepers from the ones that are leaving.
- online purchases: gear-wise, I don't feel the need to get much at the moment (see: race shirts above), when I need new sneakers I'll usually go online since I'm particular about my New Balances, and fuel is usually at the supermarket.
- disney traditions: when my sister and I have gone the last few times, there have been a few things...some favorite restaurants; she loves to see just how fast she can spin the teacup; we like to see how many times we can ride Tower of Terror consecutively (I believe our current record is 7 in a row); and since an epic picture from about 10 years ago (we were rushing; I told her to stop so I could take a picture of her near one of the storks that just walk around, and she gave the most amazing grump face), we try to get one of her in proximity with a stork.

Have already got quite a few races on the list for next year (woo-hoo, December promotions!), so it should be interesting.

Fun Friday QOTD: What traditions do you have when you make a trip to WDW that aren't really "mainstream"?

I'm not sure how mainstream or not it is but I've always had a few and as I added a wife and kid we've added some more:

• First and foremost is always visit Epcot. I've had maybe 4 or 5 trips where I was only going to spend one day in a park and each time it is Epcot.
  • I always get the yearly picture frame and a personalized ornament. If we stay on property I get a resort specific personalized ornament as well.
  • Always see the France movie and always have an espresso with me for the film.
  • Unless there is really no time or I'm there for a race always do a run on-property, usually the Boardwalk.
  • The last on-property stop of every trip is Disney Springs.

Congrats @camaker on your 50k. Quite an accomplishment by itself but factor in the mud/rain (leftover snow?) and you should get extra credit.

Contrats @BikeFan for the Surfin' Santa. Always a fun event (we did it last year and hope to make it next year), thanks for sharing your pics.

Congrats @ckb_nc on your Hardcore challenge. Nice to have an event in your backyard.

Congrats @camaker on your 50k. Quite an accomplishment by itself but factor in the mud/rain (leftover snow?) and you should get extra credit.

Contrats @BikeFan for the Surfin' Santa. Always a fun event (we did it last year and hope to make it next year), thanks for sharing your pics.

Congrats @ckb_nc on your Hardcore challenge. Nice to have an event in your backyard.

Can I second all the congrats? I picked a good day to catch up on the running thread a bit!

ATTQOTD belated: RE non-mainstream things. I really like eating croissants at WDW for breakfast or snack. I don't know why, maybe because I did that on my honeymoon so it became a thing for me.
We also always each get an ornament at the MK Christmas shop and send it back to the hotel.
And no trip is complete without a night-time trip to the Tiki Room when there is no line.

@camaker, congratulations, I was thinking about you today while I was hiking the hard portion of my 50k that is in feb. it rained on us some. I am actually quite glad to hear things went well. After the 5 mile hike through the technical section of the trail, I am freaking out some. There was not much of that section I will run. I am afraid those 5 miles will take me 2 hours. I have a 10 hour time limit. I will go up one more time to hike some of the easy section. I am hoping it will be easy making it a confidence booster. I have hiked 11 miles of the 50k and it is all the hard parts.

Thanks! I’m sure once you get out there with race day adrenaline flowing, you’ll be fine. Especially now that you’re forewarned about what’s coming. Kudos to you for picking a challenging course, too. One of my race selection criteria was “flat as possible”. You’ll have that much more to be proud of at the end of the day when you overcome the terrain in addition to the distance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter