• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2020

ATTQOTD - A couple of things:

Fried green tomatoes - yes, it is a real thing and it is AMAZING!
Dill pickle sandwich on white bread with miracle whip (or substitute red tomatoes for the dill pickles)
White rice with milk, butter and sugar - heated, and eaten like soup
Molasses on biscuits (turns out much of America has never eaten molasses and prefers honey) 🤷‍♂️

ATTQOTD: I grew up in the 1960's in a Swedish household in a very Swedish (at the time) town (Rockford, IL). I thought the foods I ate were the same as what everyone ate, because in my town, it was true. Swedish pancakes (sort of like crepes) with lingonberries, meatballs with lingonberries, fried herring, pickled herring, gravlox (cured salmon/lox), yellow pea soup, crisp bread, kroppkakor (sort of potato dumplings) and of course, Glögg (mulled wine with grain alcohol added) at Christmastime.

Well I managed 6.2 on Saturday and 12.4 on Sunday as I maintain my plan for Star Wars weekend. I will run my challenge in two weeks, hopefully at 5:30 AM but we’ll see about that...

ATTQOTD: egg noodles (or elbows, penne, whatever is leftover) cold from the fridge with ketchup. Loved it as a kid and will still grab it for lunch or a snack 40 years later

Last edited:
ATTQOTD - A couple of things:

Fried green tomatoes - yes, it is a real thing and it is AMAZING!
Dill pickle sandwich on white bread with miracle whip (or substitute red tomatoes for the dill pickles)
White rice with milk, butter and sugar - heated, and eaten like soup
Molasses on biscuits (turns out much of America has never eaten molasses and prefers honey) 🤷‍♂️

I love molasses, some people don’t even know what it is.
Never had the fried green tomatoes but about a month ago I tried fried pickles and I was amazed, so much flavor

ATTQOTD: Ha! Where to even begin. Growing up right outside of Philly, and only a short(ish) drive to Lancaster, I have a lot.

- The fact that most of the country doesn’t know the magic of scrapple.
- I get a lot of blank looks when talking about tomato pie.
- Real cheesesteaks.
- Tastykakes!
- Peanut Chews
- Herr’s
- Water Ice (and not talking about Rita’s which is fine, but not Philly water ice).

QOTD: What's one thing that you eat now/ate as a kid that you figured everyone ate?.....until you realized that they didn't.
1) pickled ring bologna (with cheese slices and crackers if we were lucky
2) Coney dogs, but I skip the onions (photo for effect)
angelos-coney-island-sauce-83197bad2e15248c7e000862.jpg

(3) vernor’s

all common growing up, not once I left the area.

ATTQOTD:

1) Creamed spinach: frozen spinach cooked, drained and then mixed with Campbell’s condensed cream of chicken soup.
2) Green jello: jello made with pineapple juice and then blended with softened, creamed cream cheese with crushed pineapple and maraschino cherry pieces mixed in.

Both were staples growing up, and the jello still is at the holidays, but DH will not eat either one so I no longer make them.

ATTQOTD:
Cheez Whiz on a toast with slivers of sweet pickles on top

Egg pie with nutmeg

Green jello made with pineapple juice and then blended with softened, creamed cream cheese with crushed pineapple and maraschino cherry pieces mixed in.
We use Pineapple jello, whipped cream and crushed pineapple, no cherry. I did one such mousse two days ago! They do no sell pineapple jello in Canada anymore so I stock up when we drive to the USA.

I love molasses, some people don’t even know what it is.
Count me in for the molasse! On a fresh slice of white sandwich bread. They used to serve that as a snack in my elementary school and my dad had the same when he was a kid. We are the only two in the family who enjoy it.

March total: 100.3 and probably around 11:45 pace. But it’s the first month over 100 this year, so yay me 😀

I ate “milk, sugar, and toast” for years as a child. it was our replacement for cereal, but with 5 children, cereal was just too expensive.
@OldSlowGoofyGuy @garneska, @Krandor and other Peachtreers. I found this jewel while cleaning out. I’ll consider it a Peachtree good luck charm/MARTA token.

4439A5A8-9904-4ED3-8ABA-DB75C32A9AF4.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter