August Totals

Running

Miles: 107.7
Time: 18:38:12
Average HR: 145

Walking
Miles: 30.8
Time: 10:25:41

Third month in a row over 100! Started tracking the walks (1 or 2 miles/day) that I take with my lab as well.

Last week, and then today, my Forerunner randomly shut off and when I turned it back on and synced it, it still didn't add back my daily steps. I'm thinking it is time to get a new watch. I like the idea of the Fenix 6s, but don't really want to drop that much money. Any other recommendations for a smaller Garmin that already has apps to track running, walking, and swimming?

I love my Venu. I suspect I would also like the Venu 2s, which is what I would suggest. It has the apps you want and the AMOLED screen is beautiful. I personally love having the touchscreen capability.

Last week, and then today, my Forerunner randomly shut off and when I turned it back on and synced it, it still didn't add back my daily steps. I'm thinking it is time to get a new watch. I like the idea of the Fenix 6s, but don't really want to drop that much money. Any other recommendations for a smaller Garmin that already has apps to track running, walking, and swimming?
It may be worth an email to garmin just to see if they’ll do anything.

I have a vivoactive 4s that I like (it’s a little less sophisticated than the venu) a lot. It looks more like a watch and less like “I’m a gps watch!” It supposedly does swimming as well, but I don’t have any experience using for that.

I just went through the Garmin research rabbit hole a few months ago, looking to upgrade my fenix 5s. I wanted something small that tracks all those things. Ended up with the Forerunner 255s and a Lily. I LOVE the FR but it's a little ugly for going out to dinner or going to a work conference, so I wear the Lily when I still want to track but want something a little prettier and even smaller. I've been very happy with this combo, especially since I found the Lily on open box sale on Adorama.

I've had the worst 3 months of my life since my Fiancee left me. To combat the severe depression I walked and jogged and on August NASA had a challenge for exercising so I walked a lot that month

August Totals:
1,007,273 steps = ~530 miles

I ran or jogged only about 200 of those miles and most in 95 degree heat of Houston because I wanted the pain to offset other pain, and also to acclimate to heat

I was never really tired and at the end the run miles were 9:30 minute miles. Every day I essentially did 17 miles because that was the allowed cutoff and surprisingly never had tired legs. I somehow did develop gout in my right ankle even though I would drink over 96 oz of water each outside run - so now i have to pull back. I lost on average 4000 calories per day and yet only lost 5 lbs so I am super frustrated. I didnt overeat so i dont know why i didn't lose more - must be the stress. I did place 5th or 4th out of 4000 NASA participants, so I guess I got that. (oddly i beat everyone in physical step count by 250,000 steps, but placed 4th/5th since other exercises converted into step points so people did those and got more step points)

I am sad. Very sad. My life has no enjoyment and I'm not even looking forward to Dopey like I always was. I wish there was a happy ending but my relationship is over and there is no reconciliation even though I tried. No Disney magic for me and I lost my Disney Princess.

I dont wish this type of pain on any of you - I wosh you all good miles and I hope you squeeze the hand of your love a little tighter the next time you run.

Last edited:
August miles
318 miles of biking
76 of running in the oh so fun August heat.

Took some planned time off to go to the mountains where we hiked and did some rafting (white-water ish).
Plus some unplanned time off. My mom passed very suddenly last Tuesday (actually in front of me). I found a new top ten excuse to not exercise - giving a parent's eulogy. My dad is some stage of dementia so my wife and I are thrust into new roles literally overnight.

Running, biking and exercising are my outlets - I wrote my mom's eulogy in my head out on the bike and running. I ran some of the slowest miles as I literally was just running to get out and think. The day my mom passed I went out for a ride that evening, where I just rode to take in all that day encompassed, and what it meant.

I am not sure how I could handle this stress without my exercise regime so for those out here - it's very real that exercise is so important to your overall health.

@Z-Knight I'd like to offer you some hope. I went through absolute hell last year. Nearly unimaginable crisis after crisis and enormous loss. I can't begin to count the number of days I simply wished for a truck to hit me on a run and end the pain.

First, I'd like to share something a kind professional said to me: your pain and your sadness - maybe even some rage? disappointment? frustration? - is a very normal reaction to a very difficult situation. Please allow yourself to feel whatever it is you're feeling without guilt.

Second, some encouragement that helped me enormously: all you have to do is take teeny, tiny increments. Get through the day. The hour. The next 5 minutes. This minute right now. That's it. Literally one minute at a time.

Third, the hope: things really have gotten better for me. The loss is the loss and will always hurt - but it won't always demand so much of your time and energy. The immediacy of the crisis will stop feeling so immediate; it won't go away, probably, but it WILL be bearable. The weight won't be so heavy. The sleep will improve. Things that were once fun and aren't now... will be again.

I hope very much this helps you. Please know that this stranger on the Internet cares and is rooting for you.

Thanks! Aside from most likely not being wetsuit legal, it’ll be a good test for the full in December.
Wetsuits are complicated to figure out right now. We woke up at 10°C this morning but the high today will be 24°C. Who knows what water temperature will be in a week. We don’t own wetsuits and for a 375m swim it doesn’t make sense to buy or rent them. Plus we never swam in them and taking them off would take some energy. So the rationale is if it is compulsory (water temperature under 16°C) we might endure a DNS. Otherwise we will tough it. I am not concerned for myself, but for DD who turns blue, even at 22°C water temperature (max allowed for wetsuits).

@ckb_nc So sorry for you loss. It is difficult to lose a parent, even more so when it is sudden. I hope the good and loving memories of your mother help you through this difficult time.

Wetsuits are complicated to figure out right now. We woke up at 10°C this morning but the high today will be 24°C. Who knows what water temperature will be in a week. We don’t own wetsuits and for a 375m swim it doesn’t make sense to buy or rent them. Plus we never swam in them and taking them off would take some energy. So the rationale is if it is compulsory (water temperature under 16°C) we might endure a DNS. Otherwise we will tough it. I am not concerned for myself, but for DD who turns blue, even at 22°C water temperature (max allowed for wetsuits).
22 is very low for a no wetsuit temperature limit. Most races I’ve done allow them up to 24 or so. I wouldn’t wear one for only 375m if at all possible. You’ll almost spend more time taking them off than swimming. If your daughter gets cold quickly, maybe a swimskin can help a little bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter