The Running Thread -- 2022

I've had the worst 3 months of my life since my Fiancee left me. To combat the severe depression I walked and jogged and on August NASA had a challenge for exercising so I walked a lot that month

August Totals:
1,007,273 steps = ~530 miles

I ran or jogged only about 200 of those miles and most in 95 degree heat of Houston because I wanted the pain to offset other pain, and also to acclimate to heat

I was never really tired and at the end the run miles were 9:30 minute miles. Every day I essentially did 17 miles because that was the allowed cutoff and surprisingly never had tired legs. I somehow did develop gout in my right ankle even though I would drink over 96 oz of water each outside run - so now i have to pull back. I lost on average 4000 calories per day and yet only lost 5 lbs so I am super frustrated. I didnt overeat so i dont know why i didn't lose more - must be the stress. I did place 5th or 4th out of 4000 NASA participants, so I guess I got that. (oddly i beat everyone in physical step count by 250,000 steps, but placed 4th/5th since other exercises converted into step points so people did those and got more step points)

I am sad. Very sad. My life has no enjoyment and I'm not even looking forward to Dopey like I always was. I wish there was a happy ending but my relationship is over and there is no reconciliation even though I tried. No Disney magic for me and I lost my Disney Princess.

I dont wish this type of pain on any of you - I wosh you all good miles and I hope you squeeze the hand of your love a little tighter the next time you run.

Hang in there. It is a cliche but it will get better. One of my best friends ended up in a surprise (to him) divorce after less than 2 years of marriage. He ended up living on my couch for a good few months and was pretty deep in the hole. It took him some time but he has since remarried and is thriving. I don't know your age but I'm now of an age where I have about the often quoted 50% of my friends divorced and on second marriages or out of long term relationships that didn't make it to marriage and there is bright light on the other side of the darkness. You just need to let the process, whatever that looks like for you, work you through it.

Hang in there. It is a cliche but it will get better. One of my best friends ended up in a surprise (to him) divorce after less than 2 years of marriage. He ended up living on my couch for a good few months and was pretty deep in the hole. It took him some time but he has since remarried and is thriving. I don't know your age but I'm now of an age where I have about the often quoted 50% of my friends divorced and on second marriages or out of long term relationships that didn't make it to marriage and there is bright light on the other side of the darkness. You just need to let the process, whatever that looks like for you, work you through it.
sadly I'm too old to have much hope. I'm 47. She was my true love and sadly there is no reconciliation and now I'm stuck with a very expensive house that will suck most of my pay - we bought a new one together and I have to buy her out. I don't mean to spill all of my problems but I'm having a hard time - a very hard time.

Even with 500 miles of steps in August - 200 miles of actual running and averaging 4000 calories a day lost, I couldn't even manage to lose weight to have some joy. Running brings no joy anymore - just time I can't spend crying. Disney no longer brings joy - I have no magic. I know people have worse but I am selfish and sad about my situation.

I really appreciate the kind words - they help. I wish I had some Disney Magic to get me through though and I wish nothing but the best for my fiancee even though she ghosted me and broke my heart. (my ex-fiancee, sigh). The only reason I post this is so that you all give your love a hug tonight and don't let them go - I wish she did the same for me.

Now that things have finally settled down from all of our summer baseball travels all over the country, trying to get back to running every day. Finding that taking almost 6 weeks off from consistent running really put a damper on not only my pace and stamina, but also my waistline. LOL. Before we started our summer travels, I was running consistently at 7:45 to 8:15 mile pace depending on length of run and what the training schedule was. Now jumping back in, the pace has been 8:45 to 9 min per mile. Ouch. Good thing is there about 4 months still to drop that day. Along with all the travel, came eating out all the time because we were staying in hotels. We slept in hotel beds more than we did in our own beds this summer. So put on an extra 10 lbs. So the goal is also to lose all that plus some extra to be light for marathon weekend. Started last week and already down a few pounds. Just crazy how I have been running consistently for a few years now and that small break made such a huge dent.

August total: 105.7 miles

Was busy this last week so fell behind a bit. Just read through several pages to get caught up. Sorry to hear so many of you have experienced losses or hard times this week. Hugs to all (if you’re into that sort of thing).

Today is my birthday. 42! Went out for my run before my family got up - 4.2 miles to match my age. It was also my kid’s birthday yesterday but they unfortunately caught a stomach bug and spent the whole day on the floor of the bathroom. So we are doing a joint bday celebration today.
Happy belated birthday. I love the idea of doing a run to match your age. I'm going to HHN on my birthday this Saturday, but otherwise I'd be running 4.9 miles.

@camaker glad you survived the race. you are making me reconsider doing a trail ultra with you 😂. Seriously though am with you about enjoying road racing more.

@ckb_nc sorry for your loss. exercise helps, but yes it is tough to get through all the new things you have to do and continue to do.

@Z-Knight Just good thoughts heading your way. Do the best you can at the moment.

I have been on vacation, still am. Got a few runs in in Alaska, dang such cool weather. Official training starts next week when I am back to the hit weather.

I have often said (mostly to myself, because really, who else cares!) that Chair Pose in yoga and the 10k race distance are my least favorite in yoga and running respectively. Somehow, I have come to make peace with Chair pose (probably by not trying to go as deep). So I have decided that my fall running will have the theme "How I Learned to Stop Worrying, and Love (or at least like) the 10k" --with apologies to Stanley Kubrick and the brilliant Peter Sellers.

Today I started the BAA Level 2 10k program. I suppose I should find a race.....and decide what a reasonable goal is.

Content warning: violence/death

Eliza Fletcher has been found deceased. Her story is hitting me because I am a female runner but also because I lived in Memphis for several years and ran those areas she did. I, like her, was a teacher in Memphis. The Memphis running community was so important to me, and I miss it every day. I had been hoping to incorporate more early runs this training cycle, but I’m also keenly aware that it’s about to stay dark later and get dark easier. So, my QOTD:

What do you do to stay safe while running? How do you make others feel safe while you’re running?

ATTQOTD: if I’m running in the dark, I only do it right in my neighborhood, and with a front & back light, because it’s out in the middle of nowhere and the likelihood of people with malicious intent (or people in general) is very low, and I’m never more than 10 minutes from my house. Also, my neighborhood roads are 3 lanes wide (because we used to have a designated pedestrian lane before we forced the city not to paint any lines on our roads) so I’m less likely to get hit by a car.

When I’m running in public areas, I try not to crowd people, meaning I might end a run interval early, or extend it a little so I don’t end up right on top of them. And I always warn people I’m passing them, which I wish more people (especially cyclists) would do, because they just pop out of nowhere sometimes and scare the bejesus out of me.

Eliza Fletcher has been found deceased. Her story is hitting me because I am a female runner but also because I lived in Memphis for several years and ran those areas she did. I, like her, was a teacher in Memphis. The Memphis running community was so important to me, and I miss it every day. I had been hoping to incorporate more early runs this training cycle, but I’m also keenly aware that it’s about to stay dark later and get dark easier. So, my QOTD:

What do you do to stay safe while running? How do you make others feel safe while you’re running?

That is a sad story.

To your QOTD, and I'm male so take that for what it's worth, not much. I live in a safe suburb that has very little crime and if I'm running at night that is where I run. I really don't worry about anything other than being seen and skunks. I wear lights and keep my eyes open but that is really it and I run a lot after dark year round but especially in winter. I personally wouldn't live anywhere that I didn't feel safe running since that is a big part of my life. When I travel I do as much research as possible to make sure anywhere I plan to run is safe and on vacation I usually don't run that late.

Other than making sure I announce if I'm approaching someone, and making sure I don't pass to close, I'm not really sure what else I could do to make others safer.

I try to remember that while tragic these killings are still rare and they make the headlines because of their rarity.

For my long runs especially, I always share the course I plan on running with my wife and make sure she can track my location via my phone/watch. I share it via Apple Find Friends as well as Garmin Connect. This protects me against the more likely scenario where I get injured or pass out and need help. But could also be useful for other dangers.

QOTD: Very sorry to hear this story. I'm a male, so it's easy for me to say.

This is probably a weird one. I always make it a point to smile, nod, and say hello to the runners I see on my path day after day. I'd say 60-70% totally ignore me, but the ones that do say hello back make me feel not so alone, which helps with the safety.

Back when I ran at night and we lived in a sketchy area, I kept in mind places I saw during the day that could be a little questionable and made it a point to avoid them. I didn't run through alleys or desolate streets and stuck to places where people might be out even at night.

Last edited:

QOTD:

1. Treadmill at home or gym.

2. There's some parks around here with lots of people for safety in numbers. 6, 8, and 9 mile loops. Or run at the local HS on the track.

ATTQOTD:
When I was young I felt invincible and ran at any time, day or night, city or town. The only place I had lived where I really felt unsafe was Salt Lake City, because there seemed to be *nobody* on the street at night at all. I felt like a van could come by, stop, scoop you up, and nobody would ever know (this was the 90's before there were video cameras everywhere). I realize looking back how foolish that was and I was pretty lucky not to be the victim of a mugging at least (which is more common) if not something like an assault. Not that I had any money on me but muggers don't know that.

Now I pretty much only run in daylight hours. If it's too dark before work, I run after work. I run on the trail by the river most of the time, but if I ever do have to run at night I stick to the sidewalks. Philadelphia is a big, busy city and I live in Center City so, especially, there are always people around. But even at the house in the suburbs, I stick to daylight hours. I'm also afraid of animals on the trail at night, though the possibility of something attacking me is extremely remote.

Do you remember Ashling Murphy the 23 year old school teacher in Ireland? She was killed this past January when she went for a run during her lunch break...in the middle of the ****ing day in broad daylight!

I run on my high school track, around a circle that takes me by my parents' house every. 45 miles (and which their house is almost always visible), or on one of two local rails-to-trails.

I carry pepper spray and my phone on the trails. I do run in the morning but after daylight and never at night.

I'm almost positive I'm going to delete Strava after this incident because I don't really need it because of my Garmin and don't need random people to see where and when I run.

I have a few neon-bright shirts that I wear if I plan on running and will be out when the sun starts to set. I'm much more concerned about distracted drivers than an assault. I have a noxgear vest that I've only been out when it's been late or dark (rainy day) enough to warrant wearing it, but it's an option. I always tell DH where I'm going to be running and when I should be back. And he checks in with me via text about 15min before I'm supposed to be done wanting to know where I'm at. I know quite a few of the people, at least in passing, on my running route. I pretty much never see others when I'm out running. In the winter I run almost exclusively on the treadmill because of car/traffic concerns since there's not really a shoulder for me to run on and if I don't trust drivers in the summer I sure as heck don't trust them on snowy/slushy roads.

As far as the Eliza Fletcher situation goes (and I haven't and will not watch the videos) it seems like the consensus I'm seeing is that her attack appears to have been planned out, and not a random "you happen to be here when I'm here" event. And yes. The rarity of this type of event is driving the news cycle. It's a very sad situation all around.

I'm almost positive I'm going to delete Strava after this incident because I don't really need it because of my Garmin and don't need random people to see where and when I run.
You can pretty much lock your Strava down like you can other social medias. You can set it up so people have to request to follow you, and you can only allow people you *know* to see what you're doing, and you can hide the maps as well.

@jmasgat the 10k is definitely the worst distance. Too short to pace and too long to sprint. Its twin is the Olympic distance triathlon for the same reasons.
Funny you should mention that. I have done a total of 2 triathlons-- a sprint and a half Ironman. Since I suck at swimming, it seemed as though the Oly distance was the worst--more swim relative to the rest of the race. So I went from sprint to the half IM.

I have often said (mostly to myself, because really, who else cares!) that Chair Pose in yoga and the 10k race distance are my least favorite in yoga and running respectively. Somehow, I have come to make peace with Chair pose (probably by not trying to go as deep). So I have decided that my fall running will have the theme "How I Learned to Stop Worrying, and Love (or at least like) the 10k" --with apologies to Stanley Kubrick and the brilliant Peter Sellers.

Today I started the BAA Level 2 10k program. I suppose I should find a race.....and decide what a reasonable goal is.

I like racing fast and agree that the 10K is the worst. It is to road racing what the 800 is to track.

I only have my runs visible to friends on Strava and I'm only friends with a handful of people I actually run with in real life. If you find value in Strava (I have the paid version and like the heat maps and route planning tools) you can change your settings to just friends or even just you. You can also block out runs within a certain radius of home.

If you go that route remember to go into settings and also change all past activities. It is simple but you will want to change both past and future runs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter