The Running Thread -- 2022

As a general concept, yes, but they do a decent job with race day transportation.
Oh, I don't doubt NYRR's organization at all! Just, even to use their transportation you do have to leave pretty early compared to your start time (I hear, I've never experienced it) . And just comparing it to Philly where I can literally walk to the start in 10 minutes. One reason of many to talk myself out of it.

Oh, I don't doubt NYRR's organization at all! Just, even to use their transportation you do have to leave pretty early compared to your start time (I hear, I've never experienced it) . And just comparing it to Philly where I can literally walk to the start in 10 minutes. One reason of many to talk myself out of it.

Oh yeah, the early part is pretty true. I think I left my apartment like 4 hours before my start time. Worse than runDisney in that respect. I kinda think of it as the price you pay for running a big race like that, but yeah, compared to races where you can walk to the start, it's pretty rough.

QOTD: I know we are all really good at runstigating, encouraging people to sign up for races they are unsure about. Anybody have any *good* stories of a time they *resisted* signing up for a race and had no regrets? I swore up and down, MW 2022 would be my last marathon. But I got a few emails reminding me the NYC Marathon lottery is open, and I started thinking about it. I should NOT register for this lottery. I was very satisfied with the idea that I was done with marathons. The training is time- and attention-consuming. I'm tired. For NYC in particular Staten Island is a pain to get to. I have a large marathon here in town that has a start line I can comfortably walk to (IF I were ever to run the marathon again, which I won't). I'm kind of looking forward to not having marathon training hanging over my head for a while. Ever. I mean ever.

Give me your good stories of saying No and meaning it!
Multiple times. The training is way worse if your heart isn’t in it (speaking from experience, which then results in burnout bc I’m just mad). The races that really come to mind quickly are those races that have terrible weather or get cancelled last minute. Total validation!

I’ve also regretting signing up for races I didn’t really want to do.

I applied for NY this year. After WDW weekend I was ready to do whatever charity I needed to run it. But after sitting on the application for 24 hrs I withdrew it. I couldn’t get myself pumped up for the NYC logistics.

Re: NYC Marathon Logistics

Yeah, it's a bit rough. Early wakeup, a lot of people, a lot of nonsense. But it's a good race and a pretty cool experience so I think it's worth trying once. It's honestly not that much worse than runDisney. And I'm usually out on the course volunteering, if you think it will help to have a friendly face!

Yeah, it's a bit rough. Early wakeup, a lot of people, a lot of nonsense. But it's a good race and a pretty cool experience so I think it's worth trying once. It's honestly not that much worse than runDisney. And I'm usually out on the course volunteering, if you think it will help to have a friendly face!

I'll see you in 2023! I'm nervous about taking the ferry, bus etc to the start line, but I heard the crowds were as fun as Boston so I really wanted to run it. I already have another marathon this year since I didn't think I'd get into NY but now that I'm in, I'll have to defer it.

Looking forward to seeing you there in 2023! That is one race I am very happy to have registered for (2020 edition that got canceled) even after I realized the hotel price tag that came with it. It is a solid part of my motivation to seriously keep running.

QOTD: I have a few virtual medals that I still haven’t found a reason to race. And of course, the biggest regrets come from signing up to a challenge that got turned virtual in 2020 (Ottawa Lumberjack). I still haven’t convinced myself from using the 50% off coupon to give it a try again.

Other than that, I am happy to have let go of races that would have impacted my family vacations too much and were not particularly linked to the destination (for example a race in a residential part of a beach town).

As for training requirements to perform in a race, I sometimes wonder why I am pushing so hard. The answer is probably that if I don’t try to improve, I probably won’t even maintain my fitness level.

Question: Has anyone run a race without really training? It's a bad idea, right?
My goal is definitely finish, not time, so there's that. But I really probably should do some training and I don't really want to.

For context, I registered for the lottery for a half in March without expecting to get in but I did. And I'm not really in the mood to train. I ran 10 miles in December with minimal training and it was fine, but I haven't run more than 3-4 miles at a time since. I normally love long runs but have had a hard time motivating myself to run in general lately. I can kinda get myself to do 2-3 miles once or twice a week but anything more than that feels like misery. If running 5-6 miles a week was good prep for a half marathon, I'd be golden, but I feel like I should probably also do a long run or two and if I'm gonna do a long run its probably also a good idea to do something longer than 3 miles to prepare for it.

Also this may just be the post-Disney depression (spent last week in my favorite place, Disneyland, so I'm super depressed to not be there anymore) talking and maybe I'll feel like training next week. But I dunno.

Just wanted to follow up on this since the half was yesterday. I finished, 2:54:29 (which is my worst half time ever but also faster than I was expecting to be since a lot of my runs were hovering in the 13:30-14:00 range for a while).

The short version is that I managed to convince myself to attempt to train, but it didn't go well. I skipped some runs because of weather and/or exhaustion. I managed to get in two long runs, an 8 miler and a 7 miler (in that order, actually), but the I messed up my back pretty badly on the 8 miler and was out of commission for 2 weeks, which kinda scared me away from doing more than the bare minimum of running. I did substitute walks for a lot of my planned runs.

By race day I was pretty confident that I would finish, but I wasn't sure if I'd end up having to walk the last few miles or if it was gonna be painful. I did the whole thing with run/walk intervals at an easy effort level. The last few miles were a little rough, both mentally and because my feet were starting to hurt, but I made it and my legs seem to have recovered well (no pain today, but I also haven't attempted stairs or left my apartment at all).

And now I'm done with half marathons, and still contemplating how much (if any) running I want to do in general. Unless they bring back west coast runDisney, which would get me out of retirement.

@SarahDisney I loved your recap! It's hard to stay motivated when you don't have races on your schedule. Take some time off for well deserved recovery and then see how you feel about doing a few short runs.

Question: Are any of you in running groups? Pros? Cons? How do you find them? (I'm not on social media)

Question: Are any of you in running groups? Pros? Cons? How do you find them? (I'm not on social media)

I join a couple from time to time. There's a group that meets every Sunday in our apartment, and I only found them by happening to go out for a run at the same time they were gathering. There's also a Parkrun nearby, and the local running stores organize weekly running groups (which they post online and in-store).

They're... fine. I find I prefer running solo, but groups are a good way to meet people. I do them on easy/recovery days and hang toward the back. There's always a small group that dusts everyone else, and that's fine. To my eye, they skew younger (early- to mid-20s), but that could also be a function of where we live.

It's worth checking them out at least once to see how you like them.

If anyone wants to run with others while promoting good, check out Back on My Feet. They partner with local organizations to create community via running for individuals experiencing homelessness.
I've gotten to volunteer with them for years and it's a pretty good group. (Full disclosure: morning runs are early)

I'm in more of a running "community" - the Oiselle Volee (women only). It is a really positive space with a "sisterhood" vibe. I have made some of my best friends in the group. Groups of ladies in different areas will lead meet ups. They have meet ups at larger race weekends and occasionally have regional and/or national retreats.

In terms of training groups, I have been in two, both put on my local running stores. I got injured both times, once pretty badly. I think a social training group is fantastic, but I would be weary of training groups that give everyone the same training plan. I worked at the store that put on the groups (after the bad injury). I will promote the groups for social reasons but I am a big advocate of everyone having an individualized training plan

I have run with a few groups in the past. It is a great way to meet people. Local running stores generally have them and we have a few locally that are set up around Facebook groups and I'm not sure how you'd ever find them without social media.

I never used one for any training plan. I just ran with them to meet people. One had a brewery run the first Wednesday of each month where you did a loop of about 6 miles around a local brewery and then met up after. I'm an extrovert so any opportunity to meet new people is nice but it has been a few years since I've done anything with the group. I can't think of a con as long as you don't try to go too fast or too far just to stay with a group.

Thanks for all the responses! Currently not looking for training but more of a camaraderie vibe - do some easy pace runs and grab some beers type things. Trying to get out of my introverted shell!

So I don't have facebook, but my husband does, do I just search "running group" + "city"? I noticed most groups appear private, but I'd like to know more about them so I'd have to join to learn more? Would it be weird to join under his fb?

Thanks for all the responses! Currently not looking for training but more of a camaraderie vibe - do some easy pace runs and grab some beers type things. Trying to get out of my introverted shell!

So I don't have facebook, but my husband does, do I just search "running group" + "city"? I noticed most groups appear private, but I'd like to know more about them so I'd have to join to learn more? Would it be weird to join under his fb?

That would be a start. If you do join a local group you'll likely start to see other groups recommended by Facebook's algorithm. You could also check with any local runners you know from races or the running shops to see if they know of any other groups in the area. I've found that local runners that know of any groups generally know of all the groups. If you have any local race promotion/director companies they may also have some affiliated groups on their websites. One local small racing promoter has one of the best running groups and it is all based on local breweries.

Would you consider getting a Facebook account just for groups? Some will have a little public information like when and where they meet but then you would have to join to find out more. You can always leave a group if it isn't what you are looking for.

ATTQOTD:
In addition to checking with local running stores (they would likely know about local groups and potentially be able to connect you with leaders) or using your husband's FB account, don't discount checking on Strava for groups! I think that might be a pretty cumbersome way to do it, but if you want to avoid the other ones, it's an option.

I know that a local-ish running club does monthly brewery runs and community fun runs that are listed on their website.

another search for groups to try on FB would be "run _____" where you put in your city/neighborhood/county/name for your specific area if you live in a more urban setting.

Last edited:
I do run with a group. It started as people from a local running store’s training groups, but when COVID kind of shut that down, we kept going on our own (small group initially, but it has grown back since then).
Also, check to see if there is a She Runs This Town group in your area. People usually post group runs on ours (or they used to a lot more before COVID), but it is a pretty active group here with lots of monthly challenges.
https://www.sherunsthistown.com/chapter-finder/It might be weird to join with your husband’s account, and they may not let you in under his name. I’m not sure.

QOTD: I know we are all really good at runstigating, encouraging people to sign up for races they are unsure about. Anybody have any *good* stories of a time they *resisted* signing up for a race and had no regrets? I swore up and down, MW 2022 would be my last marathon. But I got a few emails reminding me the NYC Marathon lottery is open, and I started thinking about it. I should NOT register for this lottery. I was very satisfied with the idea that I was done with marathons. The training is time- and attention-consuming. I'm tired. For NYC in particular Staten Island is a pain to get to. I have a large marathon here in town that has a start line I can comfortably walk to (IF I were ever to run the marathon again, which I won't). I'm kind of looking forward to not having marathon training hanging over my head for a while. Ever. I mean ever.

Give me your good stories of saying No and meaning it!
The race that I have no regret of signing up for was the 2010 Disney Icecapades, I mean 2010 MW. I had such great experiences in 2009, 2011, and this year that I'm glad I didn't experience it in freezing weather.

As for some of your other comments on continuing to train and do marathons:
1. I hear you on the time it takes to train and then actually complete the race. Will I do many more? Probably another Disney Marathon, and the MCM is still unfinished business for me (got in twice, had to cancel both times due to life).
2. Instead of focusing on faster and faster times for a marathon, focus on finishing it and limit the time improvements to shorter races. I'd like to get my half-marathon time down closer to 2 hours, but I don't know that I'll ever worry about my marathon time, especially if it is combined with a Goofy or Dopey challenge.
3. Keep running while you can. I have a July 4th parade that I like to be in, and it was getting to where I had to chose between it and running the Peachtree. The wife made a really good point in that I can keep doing the parade long after I can't (or don't want to) run. Run for fitness, run for the bling, run for the shirts, run for the satisfaction that you can and do.

You guys know my half-assed approach to training, so I hear you about the time it takes for a full. I'll keep trying to lose more weight and get my 5k, 10k, and half times down, but for me, marathons will just be about completing them and enjoying the experience. I've done two now, both at Disney. As I said, I'd like to do the MCM, and then maybe I'll wind up at Disney again just to make it an even number.

YMMV

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter