The Running Thread--2024

View attachment 844411

This is not what a spring run should look like....5" of snow and a layer of ice. No interval workout today, did my easy run instead. The only time I hit the slow pace I should be running! Also the only time I am marginally happy with the idiot homeowners who don't bother to shovel their sidewalks: snow> ice for running.

I guess this is payback for the unseasonably warm few days we had a couple of weeks ago.
Makes me grateful for just having to deal with rain during my run this morning!

Not looking forward to 10+ MPH winds tomorrow morning for a long run (~16 miles), though!

Had ice and sleet here this AM, cold pouring rain now, hitting the ‘dread’mill and staying warm and dry.

I finished my 10K this morning and didn’t freeze, die, or finish last. I’ll write something up if I ever get home (currently trapped in an underground parking ramp, not even trying to get out of my parking spot yet—though the car parked in front of me might be making a move, so I might be able to make a strategic move shortly)

Riddle me this: why is it so easy to get up at 2am for Disney races, and when I'm home, there's no way I'm getting out of bed before my alarm? I keep saying if I wake up with enough time before my alarm, I could do a short yoga session, or get in some weight training, and it never happens :P . My cat got me up at 5:45 to feed her this morning, and I went straight back to bed.
My cat wakes me up every morning about 2 am for breakfast. So up I get to feed 6 cats. I go out of town to Disney and I’m still getting up at 2 am. I’ve got the early morning wake up part of training down. 🤣

I know a lot of folks here use Tailwind, and I've had good experience with Maurten (though more for pre-race carb loading).

Has anybody had experience with E-Fuel? Thoughts?

https://www.cranksports.com/efuel/

I really like E-Gels, so I'm interested in trying this. But, they sure make a lot of decisions (complex vs simple carbs, no caffeine) that seem heterodox to me.

Any success of horror stories out there? Maybe @DopeyBadger ?

I know a lot of folks here use Tailwind, and I've had good experience with Maurten (though more for pre-race carb loading).

Has anybody had experience with E-Fuel? Thoughts?

https://www.cranksports.com/efuel/

I really like E-Gels, so I'm interested in trying this. But, they sure make a lot of decisions (complex vs simple carbs, no caffeine) that seem heterodox to me.

Any success of horror stories out there? Maybe @DopeyBadger ?

There was a race or two where I attempted to mix powder into race bottles mid-race, and I can't remember if that was E-Fuel or some other source. Would have been in the 2014-2016 area, and I don't have any posts from back then. I couldn't carry enough E-Fuel as a sole source of carbs in my water bottles. These days I don't run with water bottles anyways.

I used E-Fuel from 2016-2018 for the Western Australian Carb Loading method, but changed to Maurten 320 in 2018 instead since it lessened the water burden.

I did a run-down of different products at the time in 2019 (link) including Tailwind and E-Fuel, and at the time E-Fuel offered no advantages to Tailwind from either a cost, Mg, Ca, or carb standpoint. I don't remember how hard I tried to get E-Fuel into a concentrated solution like Tailwind, but getting 1 scoop per 1 oz water for Tailwind is virtually unbeatable. So I don't remember pushing that hard given all the other advantages Tailwind had.

There was a race or two where I attempted to mix powder into race bottles mid-race, and I can't remember if that was E-Fuel or some other source. Would have been in the 2014-2016 area, and I don't have any posts from back then. I couldn't carry enough E-Fuel as a sole source of carbs in my water bottles. These days I don't run with water bottles anyways.

I used E-Fuel from 2016-2018 for the Western Australian Carb Loading method, but changed to Maurten 320 in 2018 instead since it lessened the water burden.

I did a run-down of different products at the time in 2019 (link) including Tailwind and E-Fuel, and at the time E-Fuel offered no advantages to Tailwind from either a cost, Mg, Ca, or carb standpoint. I don't remember how hard I tried to get E-Fuel into a concentrated solution like Tailwind, but getting 1 scoop per 1 oz water for Tailwind is virtually unbeatable. So I don't remember pushing that hard given all the other advantages Tailwind had.
Thanks! I'll give that a read.

I've mostly carried water + gels (and sometimes cow tales), without any liquid fuel other than the occasional race-day gatorade. But I know I sweat a lot (for example, yesterday on a 95-minute run I drank 1.5L of water and still came back about 1.5 pounds lighter!) so I'm thinking about upping my liquid + electrolyte intake, at least in daylight. Sounds like Tailwind is a good bet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter