The Wagon Queen Family Truckster Goes Northwest - Update 10/3 pg 6 (Canada)

Unfortunately we didn't get any pictures, but I highly recommend checking out Wall Drug the next time you're in Wall, SD.

Actually I think you meant Erika didn't get any pictures which was kind of intentional because I'm still trying to figure out what was so exciting about the place....

So we pulled out of the Jewel Cave parking lot and headed to the hotel that we had booked (and missed the cancellation window by about 15 minutes) for the night to contemplate what to do the next day. Do we continue along our pre-determined schedule including the hotel rooms booked etc.... or .... do we re-route our trip to allow us to return the next morning to see Jewel Cave.... :confused3

You failed to mention that the hotel was 1.5 hours away from the Cave which meant it was 1.5 hours further into our drive and 1.5 hours closer to our final destination.

Now if anyone has been through the western half of South Dakota you know, you HAVE TO stop at Wall Drug.

Are the Wall Drug billboards (that I’m sure stretch back across the entire state) as entertaining as the ones for “South of the Boarder”, or do the folks in South Dakota show a bit more restraint then the folks in South Carolina?

After getting our food and sitting down, Megan, who had been fighting a cold for a couple of days already, was starting to act unusually ornery.

Hope she got to feeling better. Ornery can quickly put a crimp in your whole day

…a certain place where the hills have eyes

:rolleyes:

We all jumped out of the car and rushed to.... the bathroom.

Often this is the highlight of a long drive

MT. Rushmore.

MR4.jpg

party:

Nice pictures! I really would like to see this for myself some day

And... I didn’t know about the Flags memorial part of the site or the origin of “Black Hills”.
You learn something new every day if you aren’t careful.

"Sorry sir, but the last tour left at 5:40." Ummmm..... 5:40..... Beverly!

:headache: They should have added that detail to the website as well.

Stay tuned and find out what will the middlepat clan do? Will the cave (for you Barry) into the desires of a 7 year old or will the "Greater Good" prevail and keep the current plans in place?

I think you know what we are going to do don't you...

Hummmm… "Greater Good"… “desires of a 7 year old”… That’s a tough one.

You failed to mention that the hotel was 1.5 hours away from the Cave which meant it was 1.5 hours further into our drive and 1.5 hours closer to our final destination.

Well that adds a new wrinkle to the conundrum.

Lets see… "Greater Good"… “desires of a 7 year old and… three-plus hours added to the drive”.
Hummmmm… Nope, that’s still a tough one.

Well, since Barry and Mark crack me up, I figured since they met you for dinner, you had to be just like them....
I'm still trying to figure out if that is meant as a compliment or an insult.

but as we pulled into the parking lot, the rain stopped.
Excellent timing!

A trip report that actually tells it the way it really happened.:lmao::rotfl2:

"Sorry sir, but the last tour left at 5:40." Ummmm..... 5:40..... Beverly! :headache:
Not so excellent timing.:headache:
Always fun when you make the effort to do the research and plan it out just so the plan can be blown to pieces.:sad2:

she only broke down into tears and accused me of not loving her or something to that effect. :sad:
Well, look at it this way. At least she was still talking to you.:lmao:

(and missed the cancellation window by about 15 minutes)
That 15 minutes thing is kind of becoming a running theme.:rolleyes1

::yes::

It isn't an official DIS Dad trip report until his wife has to come in and correct an omission. :lmao::rotfl2:

Well, since Barry and Mark crack me up, I figured since they met you for dinner, you had to be just like them....so I'm joining in.

Brian is a lot like Barry and me, only more evil-er. :stir:

Now if anyone has been through the western half of South Dakota you know, you HAVE TO stop at Wall Drug. They have FREE ICE WATER!!!! :drinking1 Who can pass that up?

Not me! Wall Drug: the South of the Border of the West.

Unfortunately we didn't get any pictures, but I highly recommend checking out Wall Drug the next time you're in Wall, SD.

Because we're in Wall so often, right?

These might help with pictures:
http://walldrug.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Drug

Of course, as we were driving, the skies started to look a little ominous and about 30 minutes into the drive the skies opened on us. Now I mean buckets... literally buckets hit the van. (OK, not literally, but you get the picture, it was wet.)

Darn. Actual buckets would have been interesting to see.

:rotfl2: Gotta have priorities.

OK, now that's taken care of we walked up to see....

As you walk up to the viewing area, there is an awesome display of all 50 state flags setup like a corridor to the main viewpoint for the mountain.

MR2.jpg

I see Delaware's flag! We're #1! We're #1! :woohoo::cool1::banana:

Great shot! :thumbsup2

And the plaque on the column.
MR6.jpg

Below that it says, "...Bribed first public official: 1819."

We head on into the Visitor Center and I walk up to the information desk and I ask, so can we head into see the cave? "Sorry sir, but the last tour left at 5:40." Ummmm..... 5:40..... Beverly! :headache:

:headache:

Did they have a big talking moose in front of the visitor center that you could punch out? :confused3

So, we gently mention to Shannon that we won't be able to see Jewel Cave because we missed the last tour by 15 minutes. She took it relatively well.... considering that this is our Drama Queen.... she only broke down into tears and accused me of not loving her or something to that effect. :sad:

"Oh, I know you're emotionall devastated, but don't worry honey. Tomorrow, if you're good, I'll buy you a popsicle."

Stay tuned and find out what will the middlepat clan do? Will the cave (for you Barry) into the desires of a 7 year old or will the "Greater Good" prevail and keep the current plans in place?

Drop Shannon off and pick her up on the way back? :confused3

Actually I think you meant Erika didn't get any pictures which was kind of intentional because I'm still trying to figure out what was so exciting about the place....

It's sort of like watching Mystery Science Theater 3000. Sometimes it's fun to wallow in the truly craptacular. Hopefully you got to see some jackalopes.

Are the Wall Drug billboards (that I’m sure stretch back across the entire state) as entertaining as the ones for “South of the Boarder”, or do the folks in South Dakota show a bit more restraint then the folks in South Carolina?

I think they're more restrained than the SotB billboards. They save the main event for the store itself.

Well that adds a new wrinkle to the conundrum.

Lets see… "Greater Good"… “desires of a 7 year old and… three-plus hours added to the drive”.
Hummmmm… Nope, that’s still a tough one.

That does make it a much tougher call. Especially with gas at $17.39 a gallon or whatever it is.

Having never been to South of the Border (or South Carolina for that matter) I can't comment on this. Wall Drug does have billborads on I-90 for 500 miles or so, but they are fairly tame in their content.

Hope she got to feeling better. Ornery can quickly put a crimp in your whole day

{ominous forshadowing}

And... I didn’t know about the Flags memorial part of the site or the origin of “Black Hills”.
You learn something new every day if you aren’t careful.

Don't worry too much, this is a middlepat production, redeemable content is few and far between. :rotfl2:

:headache: They should have added that detail to the website as well.

I reviewing the website at a later time, I realized they did have the tour times there, I just didn't commit that to memory. :headache:

I'm still trying to figure out if that is meant as a compliment or an insult.

Oh that's definitely a compliment.... isn't it?.... isn't it?
:lmao:

A trip report that actually tells it the way it really happened.:lmao::rotfl2:

We like to "keep it real" here at middlepat productions. (don't worry, it won't get too real though)

Not so excellent timing.:headache:
Always fun when you make the effort to do the research and plan it out just so the plan can be blown to pieces.:sad2:

I seem to have a knack of researching things to the 90% level and forgetting the important last 10% of things. :rotfl2:

Well, look at it this way. At least she was still talking to you.:lmao:

popcorn::

That 15 minutes thing is kind of becoming a running theme.:rolleyes1

Um, yeah. 15 minutes can really throw a wrench in your day, can't it.

It isn't an official DIS Dad trip report until his wife has to come in and correct an omission. :lmao::rotfl2:

:welcome: to my DW who's always there with a helping hand to correct my errors and ommissions.

Brian is a lot like Barry and me, only more evil-er. :stir:

This coming from the guy who lives near the Murder-Kill-Death-To-All River or something like that. I'm the evil one. Sure, we'll go with that. :rotfl2:

Not me! Wall Drug: the South of the Border of the West.

Because we're in Wall so often, right?

These might help with pictures:
http://walldrug.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Drug

Apparently my nemesis is also willing to point out an error / ommission in my TR as well. Thanks Captain. :rotfl2:

I see Delaware's flag! We're #1! We're #1! :woohoo::cool1::banana:

I suppose we have to give that one to you. Of course, when the last thing you can say that you were #1 at happened in 1776, you are getting pretty close to Loveable Loser status, ala the Cubs.

Below that it says, "...Bribed first public official: 1819."

I think you don't quite understand Illinois yet. For us to get admitted to the union, we had to bribe plenty of public officials.

Also, to give this a bit of a Disney tie in, Illinois is similar to the Haunted Mansion, just because you're dead doesn't mean you can't vote. :lmao:

:headache:

Did they have a big talking moose in front of the visitor center that you could punch out? :confused3

No, but they did have a park ranger that I considered hijacking at gun point to take me on the elevator ride....

"Oh, I know you're emotionall devastated, but don't worry honey. Tomorrow, if you're good, I'll buy you a popsicle."

:scratchin

Drop Shannon off and pick her up on the way back? :confused3

:scratchin

It's sort of like watching Mystery Science Theater 3000. Sometimes it's fun to wallow in the truly craptacular. Hopefully you got to see some jackalopes.

I actually have to agree with you here Captain. I think your analogy here is bang on the mark. (OK Barry that's for you too).

I think they're more restrained than the SotB billboards. They save the main event for the store itself.

Um, yeah... that's it.
:sad2:

This coming from the guy who lives near the Murder-Kill-Death-To-All River or something like that. I'm the evil one. Sure, we'll go with that. :rotfl2:

Well, I haven't actually sent anyone down that river...yet.

Apparently my nemesis is also willing to point out an error / ommission in my TR as well. Thanks Captain. :rotfl2:

Anytime, buddy. :thumbsup2

I suppose we have to give that one to you. Of course, when the last thing you can say that you were #1 at happened in 1776, you are getting pretty close to Loveable Loser status, ala the Cubs.

:sad1: Just let us have this one moment!

I think you don't quite understand Illinois yet. For us to get admitted to the union, we had to bribe plenty of public officials.

Good point.

I actually have to agree with you here Captain. I think your analogy here is bang on the mark. (OK Barry that's for you too).

Wow...high praise from my nemesis! Must be a full moon.

So as we pulled away from Jewel Cave disappointed and unsatisfied we headed over to our hotel in Gillette WY.

For this night we were staying at a Fairfield Inn and Suites. This was a nice hotel for us as we had stayed at this brand previously and we got the same layout that we had the previous stay. This included 2 queen beds and a pull out couch. The only knock on this particular night was that the beds were a little too soft. (DW and I both prefer a little more support) Overall this hotel got a B rating. :thumbsup2

So where were we.... oh yeah, to change plans or continue according to schedule.... well you guessed it, we changed course. Of course we changed course. Can I say course one more time just for fun? Of course!

So at the hotel, I pulled out the handy dandy laptop :surfweb: and connected to the free WiFi provided by our Fairfield Inn and Suites hotel to not only cancel our next night's hotel room, but then jump on to the AAA.com site and start working on how we could re-direct to be able to go back to Jewel Cave. So after some wheeling and dealing I was able to change our plans to go back to Jewel Cave and then we would make our way around the Eastern and Southern parts of Wyoming to set up for the following day through the national parks.

With that out of the way, a decent night's sleep and some hotel provided breakfast, we once again loaded up the van and headed back to Jewel Cave.
:woohoo:

JC1.jpg

So we get our tickets to go into the cave where our tour guide informs us that Jewel Cave is the second longest cave in the world, with over 150 miles of mapped passages. On average, volunteer cavers discover and map over 3 miles of passages in Jewel Cave every year! (or did I steal that from our national parks website. :confused3)
Actually our tour guide was very good and very informative. He also mentioned that there was an opportunity for volunteers to explore more of the caves and one spot had only a 7 inch wide passage. :headache: Guess I won't be able to help out in that section of the cave. :rolleyes1

Here are some of the views inside the cave.

JC2.jpg

JC3.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention is that when you enter the cave they tell you that you are not to touch the walls or rocks as they don't want to introduce the oils from our fingers as this could deteriorate the crystals in the cave. The reason that I mention this now is that there is.....

:littleangel: ONE ROCK WHICH MUST BE TOUCHED.:littleangel:

Here is Shannon with "The rock that must be touched".

JC4.jpg

And here is a closer picture of the crystals that give the cave it's "Jewel Cave" name.

JC5.jpg

JC6.jpg

So having been through the short tour of the cave since we felt that Megan was not old enough to do the Scenic tour, we once again packed up and headed back to Wyoming for our scenic tour of.... Wyoming.

Actually, the area where Jewel Cave is had a bad forest fire a few years back and there was still some residual effects on the landscape as seen here:

JC7.jpg

JC8.jpg

It was very stark against the lush forest that we were driving through. I do believe that fire brings life, especially in the forest, but the impact on the scenery was very impressionable.

Coming up next.... Wyoming, Wyoming and more Wyoming.... and an unexpected blast from the past.

Brian, I somehow missed updates (my brother was in the hospital and I got all backed-up). Great pictures of Mt. Rushmore. I was in South Dakota way back in like 1976 or something and NEVER got there for some reason. The Jewel Cave pictures are neat too (although I have to admit...not a fan of caves: caves equal bats and and I do NOT do anything with bats).

So where were we.... oh yeah, to change plans or continue according to schedule.... well you guessed it, we changed course. Of course we changed course. Can I say course one more time just for fun? Of course!

Of course you can change course because you set the course in the first place so as a matter of course your entitled to change said course, and…

A horse is a horse, of course of course,
and no one can talk to a horse of course,
that is of course, unless the horse,
Is the famous Mister Ed!​

So at the hotel, I pulled out the handy dandy laptop

Don’t leave home with out it…

…and connected to the free WiFi provided by our Fairfield Inn and Suites

That’s better then the deal at WDW

…to not only cancel our next night's hotel room, but then jump on to the AAA.com site and start working on how we could re-direct to be able to go back to Jewel Cave.

‘Cause you’re a dad... that’s what you do. :goodvibes

So we get our tickets to go into the cave where our tour guide informs us that Jewel Cave is the second longest cave in the world, with over 150 miles of mapped passages.

That’s one very big hole in the ground

there was an opportunity for volunteers to explore more of the caves and one spot had only a 7 inch wide passage.

I’ve seen me in the mirror before… it ain’t happenin’.

The reason that I mention this now is that there is.....

Cool… at least they tossed you a bone… errrr… rock.

JC4.jpg

Good thing, ‘cause someone would be touching something. Just the fact that they asked you not to… ensures that someone, somewhere in that cave, who would otherwise never even have thought to do so, would be compelled to do so.

Let’s hear it for the “Rock That Must Be Touched” for taking one for the team.

Coming up next.... Wyoming, Wyoming and more Wyoming....

We spent a week driving across Kansas one day…
I suspect you saw more in Wyoming than we saw in Kansas.

Actually… all kidding aside, I’m enjoying you TR. This part of the US has its own unique grandeur. It makes me think of words first used by Buzz Aldrin to describe the lunar surface: “Magnificent Desolation”. That’s what I’m seeing here and your doing a good job of guiding us through the landscape.

Gillette WY
I've been there!

So after some wheeling and dealing I was able to change our plans to go back to Jewel Cave and then we would make our way around the Eastern and Southern parts of Wyoming to set up for the following day through the national parks.
Good work!:thumbsup2

He also mentioned that there was an opportunity for volunteers to explore more of the caves and one spot had only a 7 inch wide passage.
*Volunteers with claustrophobia need not apply

Here are some of the views inside the cave.
Gotta say, I was expecting one of the pictures to be nothing but blackness. :lmao:

Was there a golf course involved? That's the best kind. :thumbsup2

So after some wheeling and dealing I was able to change our plans to go back to Jewel Cave and then we would make our way around the Eastern and Southern parts of Wyoming to set up for the following day through the national parks.

Nice work. Every road trip calls for flexibility. And good bargaining skills.

So we get our tickets to go into the cave where our tour guide informs us that Jewel Cave is the second longest cave in the world, with over 150 miles of mapped passages.

I wonder what the longest could be... :scratchin

He also mentioned that there was an opportunity for volunteers to explore more of the caves and one spot had only a 7 inch wide passage.

That rules out all of the dads. Too many Dole Whips. Here, Megan, take this flashlight and a sketchpad. We'll meet you in 8 hours.

Where are the other kids? Did they vanish after touching it? :confused3

Good stuff Brian! Looking forward to more of...Wyoming. popcorn::

Brian, I somehow missed updates (my brother was in the hospital and I got all backed-up). Great pictures of Mt. Rushmore. I was in South Dakota way back in like 1976 or something and NEVER got there for some reason. The Jewel Cave pictures are neat too (although I have to admit...not a fan of caves: caves equal bats and and I do NOT do anything with bats).

KatMark, glad to have you back. As you can see, we really fly by over here, so if you miss a month, you'll only be 1 page behind. :rotfl2:

Of course you can change course because you set the course in the first place so as a matter of course your entitled to change said course, and…

A horse is a horse, of course of course,
and no one can talk to a horse of course,
that is of course, unless the horse,
Is the famous Mister Ed!​

This is funny mostly because as I was reading my post internally, I was singing this exact song.... :rolleyes1

‘Cause you’re a dad... that’s what you do. :goodvibes

::yes::

I’ve seen me in the mirror before… it ain’t happenin’.

You stole my mirror? :confused3

Good thing, ‘cause someone would be touching something. Just the fact that they asked you not to… ensures that someone, somewhere in that cave, who would otherwise never even have thought to do so, would be compelled to do so.

Let’s hear it for the “Rock That Must Be Touched” for taking one for the team.

:cheer2: Yay for the rock!!! :cheer2:

We spent a week driving across Kansas one day…
I suspect you saw more in Wyoming than we saw in Kansas.

I've done the Kansas run before as well (Denver to St. Louis) and I can say with certainty that yes ::yes:: there is more to see in Wyoming.

Actually… all kidding aside, I’m enjoying you TR. This part of the US has its own unique grandeur. It makes me think of words first used by Buzz Aldrin to describe the lunar surface: “Magnificent Desolation”. That’s what I’m seeing here and your doing a good job of guiding us through the landscape.

I'm so glad that I can guide you though desolation? :confused3 :rotfl2:
All kidding aside, I absolutely agree that the simplicity of the landscape in that part of the country is amazing in both it's simplicity as well as it's beauty.

I've been there!

Sorry :confused3

Gotta say, I was expecting one of the pictures to be nothing but blackness. :lmao:

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my photography ability. :rotfl2:

Was there a golf course involved? That's the best kind. :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 Although when I hit the golf course the following quote may also apply:

That’s one very big hole in the ground

Nice work. Every road trip calls for flexibility. And good bargaining skills.

Isn't that the beauty of the good old American Road Trip, flexibility. For example, if you say get sidetracked by a hurricane or something, you can point your car in a different direction. (sorry trying to stay topical)

I wonder what the longest could be... :scratchin

I'm not sure... :confused3
It would be nice if someone had a trip report about that cave.... (subtle enough hint Mark?)

That rules out all of the dads. Too many Dole Whips. Here, Megan, take this flashlight and a sketchpad. We'll meet you in 8 hours.

Here Megan, use this to map out the cave,
etch_a_sketch.jpg

but be careful you don't shake it.

Where are the other kids? Did they vanish after touching it? :confused3

There's some magic in that stone. It calms the mighty beast.... or they were busy touching the rocks that must NOT be touched, one of the 2.

Good stuff Brian! Looking forward to more of...Wyoming. popcorn::

Thanks Mark. More to come soon.

So as we pulled away from Jewel Cave disappointed and unsatisfied we headed over to our hotel in Gillette WY.
Bummer about the cave thing, but at least Gillettte WY is the best a man can get. Or something like that. :confused3

(DW and I both prefer a little more support)
Go Brian! You can do it! We believe in you!

(Is that enough support?)

I hate being late the comment party. Rob already took the Mr Ed joke and Mark took the golf course. Well, I guess I shouldn't be to coarse on myself. I just need to try harder next time.

So at the hotel, I pulled out the handy dandy laptop :surfweb: and connected to the free WiFi provided by our Fairfield Inn and Suites hotel
WAIT! Did you get a sponsorship deal for this TR? How much are you pulling down? After taxes.

You're middle name's not Mapquest for nothing, is it?

and some hotel provided breakfast, we once again loaded up the van and headed back to Jewel Cave.
You should have mentioned the hotel name again. Keep the sponsors happy.
What if you don't touch the rock? Do they jam you though the 7" opening and make you sit there until you decide to touch the rock?

And how to you get through a 7" opening without touching a rock?:eek:

I do believe that fire brings life
That's what I told the arson investigator when my neighbor's garage caught fire, but we wasn't buying it. :sad2:

Just popping over to see if any kind of updates going on over here. Alas, I do not see one (kind of reminds me of emma's dad and his updates--don't happen).

Just popping over to see if any kind of updates going on over here. Alas, I do not see one (kind of reminds me of emma's dad and his updates--don't happen).

Hi Kat! So I'm getting grouped in with Don? :scared1: I better get an update done soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter