The Wagon Queen Family Truckster Goes Northwest - Update 10/3 pg 6 (Canada)

So we finished up at Jewel Cave and made our way back to Wyoming where today was just a "positioning" day (ooh, that sounds like cruise lingo). We figured we would make our way around Wyoming to setup for a better approach to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.

So as we began our positioning route we figured we better gas up in case there "might" be a long stretch of road without any services. :lmao: So we see a gas station right before we leave town and pull in to find:

WY1.jpg

Yes, you are not seeing things. Those are actual, functional analog dial gas pumps. Erika and I both looked at each other and said, we gotta take a picture of that, when's the last time you've seen a rotary dial gas pump, let alone filled up with one? Fortunately they had unleaded so we were good.

So all gassed up and ready to go we, well, went. We drove, and drove, had lunch, and drove some more.

Here is some of the amazing scenery we saw going through Wyoming:

WY2.jpg

WY3.jpg

WY8.jpg

Finally as we passed a rest area, (literally less than 0.5 miles past) one of the kids pipes up with the "I gotta go potty". So we continue on a little more and came across this place:

http://lds.org/placestovisit/eng/historical-sites/mormon-handcart-historic-site

Now, they had put together a very nice site with some amazing scenery, but I will say there were 2 things that gave Erika some pause:

1) In the Woman's bathroom there was a sign that said "Please do not wash hair and feet in sinks."

2) There was a woman who was very insistent on us seeing the movie and having the kids pull us in a handcart.

I will say I appreciate the history here and the conditions where the children had to pull the carts, but our 3 girls are all under 8 and I'm no starving pilgrim. I don't quite think that the best thing would be for our girls to pull me in a cart.

It was very picturesque there and I did read up on the history of this location after our trip and I have a lot more respect for what they were commemorating at this spot. Here are some of the pics:

WY4.jpg

WY5.jpg

Shannon also found a plaque commemorating a woman who's name was Elizabeth (Shannon's middle name) and she wanted a picture with this famous Elizabeth.

WY6.jpg

Mary wanted to show her excitement

WY7.jpg

So after we left the hand cart site, we headed on to Lander, WY where we were staying for the night.

Coming up next, The Best Burger in the World.... and some National Parks.

So we finished up at Jewel Cave and made our way back to Wyoming where today was just a "positioning" day (ooh, that sounds like cruise lingo). We figured we would make our way around Wyoming to setup for a better approach to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.
Did you start demanding that Erika give you directions using only "Port" and "Starboard?" I would have.

Wow. Where do you swipe your credit card?

On a related note: remember when your gas choices were Regular and Unleaded. Now Unleaded has become Regular, in addition to Super and Premium? No wonder gas prices are so high - it's all spent on marketing and changing the signs at gas stations.

That looks very pretty country. Did the girls enjoy it or were they just watching movies?

Finally as we passed a rest area, (literally less than 0.5 miles past) one of the kids pipes up with the "I gotta go potty".
No way. There's NO WAY that ever happened. That's just a bit that you see recycled in TV and movies. No child has ever said they had to go to the bathroom right after a rest stop.

Mine don't even give me the courtesy of getting 1/2 mile down the road. They say it just as I pass the exit, so we can watch the rest area zoom by out the window. :headache:

I will say I appreciate the history here and the conditions where the children had to pull the carts, but our 3 girls are all under 8 and I'm no starving pilgrim. I don't quite think that the best thing would be for our girls to pull me in a cart.
Did they provide whips? Maybe those would add a little motivation for the girls to pull harder. :confused3

So we finished up at Jewel Cave and made our way back to Wyoming where today was just a "positioning" day (ooh, that sounds like cruise lingo).

Oooooo… fancy talk.

So all gassed up and ready to go we, well, went. We drove, and drove, had lunch, and drove some more.

It’s Kansas all over again (but with much better scenery)

Finally as we passed a rest area, (literally less than 0.5 miles past) one of the kids pipes up with the "I gotta go potty". So we continue on a little more and came across this place:

Ahhhhh… kids. Ya’ gott’s love ‘em.

No, really… you gott’a, ‘cause if we didn’t, it’s guaranteed that by sundown on just about any given day, one of us would be pushing up daisies.

Cool. Proof that everyplace is interesting… if you can take the time to find out why.

1) In the Woman's bathroom there was a sign that said "Please do not wash hair and feet in sinks."

Just those two restrictions?

“Everything” else was fair game?

Oh that opens up a whole lot of possibilities.

2) There was a woman who was very insistent on us seeing the movie and having the kids pull us in a handcart.

Don’t think she gets to see very many actually people… she just want y’all to keep her company for a bit.

…I'm no starving pilgrim.

Your Honor… I’d like to plead the fifth :rolleyes1

Well it looks like you got your priorities in order. :lmao:

Gorgeous pictures! I really would love to be able to take a similar drive through this country some day. :thumbsup2

Wow. Did you pump it yourself, or did a guy come out and do it for you and then wash your windows? I bet they had pay phones that took quarters, too. Or was there a switchboard?

Looks nice to me. Of course, I'm from Delaware, elevation 2. So everything looks exotic to me.

Finally as we passed a rest area, (literally less than 0.5 miles past) one of the kids pipes up with the "I gotta go potty".

Here's what I think of your exotic scenery! Oops, wrong TR.

I assume anything else is fair game?

Oooh, burgers! :thumbsup2

Great update, Brian. The Wyoming scenery you posted is beautiful.

I'd be a little hesitant myself going in a bathroom that says don't wash hair or feet ins ink. :eek:

I remember the days they used to pump your gas, check your oil and clean your windows. :scared1:

Wow. Where do you swipe your credit card?

Believe it or not, you actually had to go inside the store to pay. :scared1: Crazy, I know.

That looks very pretty country. Did the girls enjoy it or were they just watching movies?

Actually the kids were very impressed with the scenery. This is where Shannon stated that "Every time I look out my window I can't believe this is the same country." This was a very proud moment for Erika and I knowing that they were appreciating what we were able to show them. Of course Mary at the same time exclaimed, "I just passed the boss on level XX!" so we were brought back to reality pretty quick. :rotfl2:

No way. There's NO WAY that ever happened. That's just a bit that you see recycled in TV and movies. No child has ever said they had to go to the bathroom right after a rest stop.

OK, you're right. This was a fabrication.

Mine don't even give me the courtesy of getting 1/2 mile down the road. They say it just as I pass the exit, so we can watch the rest area zoom by out the window. :headache:

This was more like what happened. :rotfl2:

Did they provide whips? Maybe those would add a little motivation for the girls to pull harder. :confused3

We didn't ask, as we were afraid of the answer. :rolleyes1

It’s Kansas all over again (but with much better scenery)

Not quite Kansas as I wasn't to the point of wanting to poke my eyes out just for a difference in view. :rotfl2:

Ahhhhh… kids. Ya’ gott’s love ‘em.

No, really… you gott’a, ‘cause if we didn’t, it’s guaranteed that by sundown on just about any given day, one of us would be pushing up daisies.

You too?

Cool. Proof that everyplace is interesting… if you can take the time to find out why.

I agree, as this was on the detour part of the trip we weren't prepared for this bit of history, otherwise I might (stress might) have introduced the concept of the Oregon Trail to the girls so that they could have put this place into perspective.

Don’t think she gets to see very many actually people… she just want y’all to keep her company for a bit.

I think you may be on to something here. Either that or she was looking for a new "sister wife". :rotfl2:

Gorgeous pictures! I really would love to be able to take a similar drive through this country some day. :thumbsup2

I highly recommend a drive through this part of the country. It truly is breath taking scenery and I find it to be very calming compared to the hustle and bustle of city living.

Wow. Did you pump it yourself, or did a guy come out and do it for you and then wash your windows? I bet they had pay phones that took quarters, too. Or was there a switchboard?

No switchboard, but I think the payphone only cost a dime. :rotfl2:

Looks nice to me. Of course, I'm from Delaware, elevation 2. So everything looks exotic to me.

Oh, look, a mole hill. Quick kids, get out the climbing equipment. :rotfl2:

Here's what I think of your exotic scenery! Oops, wrong TR.

Having a family of all girls, this joke is lost on them. :rolleyes1

Just those two restrictions?

“Everything” else was fair game?

Oh that opens up a whole lot of possibilities.

I don't even want to think about that. :scared:

I assume anything else is fair game?

See above comment to Goofy.

Great minds...

My family has a similar experssion, "Great minds think alike, but small minds seldom differ." You pick. :rotfl2:

Great update, Brian. The Wyoming scenery you posted is beautiful.

I'd be a little hesitant myself going in a bathroom that says don't wash hair or feet ins ink. :eek:

I remember the days they used to pump your gas, check your oil and clean your windows. :scared1:

Thanks Kat! I still find myself replaying some of the scenery when I need a mental vacation at work. As for the bathroom, that is something I'm trying to mentally block out. :rotfl2:

today was just a "positioning" day (ooh, that sounds like cruise lingo).
I don't know if it is cruise lingo or not, but it definitely makes you sound like you're organized and doing something important.:thumbsup2

We figured we would make our way around Wyoming to setup for a better approach to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.
Now you sound like you're using pilot talk. Do you have one of those amphibious flying vans?

Wouldn't be a road trip if it didn't happen that way.:lmao:

She must not be used to seeing visitors...

Can't wait to find out about the best burger in the world... unless you're being sarcastic and if that's the case I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

I don't know if it is cruise lingo or not, but it definitely makes you sound like you're organized and doing something important.:thumbsup2

Wow, I may use this logic next time to sound SMRTER.
:headache:

Now you sound like you're using pilot talk. Do you have one of those amphibious flying vans?

I wish that was the case, but no I don't have a FreezinRafiki Super-Mini-Van-inator.

Wouldn't be a road trip if it didn't happen that way.:lmao:

::yes::

She must not be used to seeing visitors...

Can't wait to find out about the best burger in the world... unless you're being sarcasting and if that's the case I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

Don't worry, this was not a sarcastic teaser, this time....

Will I see another update BEFORE I leave for Disney in ten days?

You realize you're asking this question about a DIS Dad's trip report, right??? :lmao::rotfl2:

Oh yes, I know. I've dealt with Emma'sdad and that's nice....trust me I know how slow these men are! :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Wow, I'm named in some esteemed company there. :rotfl2:

As for an update, I'm hoping to get one done tonight. (Note, hoping not promising) ;)

Tell me you went and saw "The Sinks" in LAnder!!! For those of you not in the know, The Sinks are where a raging water fall goes into a caving system and comes back out about 1/4 down the hill from the cave. There are some monster trout and when I say monsters im mean MONSTERS. 3-5 feet long (not an exaggeration either) You take loafs of bread and drop peices in the water and its a feeding frenzy. Wife was deployed there once we went and saw her and these huge fish. Fed dont even try it there are ranger (park rangers) watching this area 24/7.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...+the+sinks+lander+wy&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

So, as we left off last, we had pulled into Lander, WY. As you may recall, this was an unplanned stop on our journey but it was a fortunate detour. We checked into the Lander Best Western and got settled into the room.

The hotel room we had here was by far the largest of all the places we stayed. It was technically 2 rooms connected with 3 queen beds. (no pullouts) :thumbsup2 The only drawback to this place was that the "included breakfast" with our room rate were certificates for the sit-down restaurant attached to the hotel. The reason I say this is a drawback is that we were planning on an early departure in the morning and we were unable to take advantage of this. Overall this was a good solid B rated hotel, nothing too nice, but nothing to really complain about.

Anyway, back to getting settled in the room. Now that we're in and Megan was passed out due to her cold, it was time for Papa Bear to forage up some food for Mama Bear and the Cubs. As we were all a bit tired of "chain" restaurant food, I jumped on the handy dandy iPhone and did a search for restaurants nearby and found this little gem:

http://landerbar.com/
Hmmm, sounds interesting, I think we'll try it.

So I take orders from the family and head on over to order and return with some grub. Having never been to Lander and thus never eating at the Gannett Grill, I walked up to the counter, gave the girl the orders for everyone and then looked over the menu for myself. Since nothing really jumped out at me, I turn to the girl and ask, "What is the best thing on your menu?" She smiled and asked if I'd ever been to Lander. I said, no so hit me with your best. She simply said, well you got to try one of our burgers. I think my face twisted a bit because she then said, "Really. You gotta try a burger. Our burgers are made from ingredients that are all sourced from less than 10 miles from Lander." Hmmm.... OK, I'll take a burger. She then informs me that it'll be about 10-15 minutes for everything to be ready, and by the way, the bar is connected and we can call you in there.

SOLD!

So I wander over to the Lander Bar and again, I am pleasantly surprised by finding that they have their own micro-brewery. Hmmm.... Let's see what's brewing.... Rye Beer? What's a Rye Beer? Never tried it, let's give it a shot. So I order up a nice cold rye beer and it was very tasty. Sure enough, just as I am finishing my last sip, my name is called and our food is ready.

So I get back to the room, food is dispersed to all and we dig in. I take a bite of my burger, and I stop. I savor. I am in love. :love: This has to be...

:littleangel: THE BEST BURGER IN THE WORLD!!!! :littleangel:

Or am I over-reacting.... it's possible..... Erika, try this... what do you think?

OMG!!! This is a great burger. I wish I had one of those instead of a Philly cheese steak sandwich. Then I inform her about their food sourcing policy. She tries her sandwich and.... OMG....this is a great sandwich, but the burger was better. :thumbsup2

So if you are ever in the Lander, WY area I highly recommend stopping by the Lander Bar. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 (Yes that's 3 thumbs up because 2 thumbs just doesn't cut it)

So the next morning we get up and head off to see some of the National Parks. Our plan today was to drive over to Jackson Hole, and then head north through Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks.

So we head west toward Jackson and the drive is just beautiful. We passed though part of the Shoshone National Forest and had this view:

NP1.jpg

What!!!:scared1: is that snow on the ground? It's June 28th!!! Well I suppose that it is only 65 degrees out and we are at an altitude of about 8000 feet. :confused3

As we continue on we see this:

NP2.jpg

No words, just enjoy it.

Then we came across a herd of buffalo crossing the road heading for a drink from the river.

NP3.jpg

NP4.jpg

We stopped in Jackson for a quick break and then headed north through the parks. We enjoyed the views of the Grand Tetons, but given our schedule we didn't get to stop for much as we wanted to get to the "main event" in...

NP5.jpg

(I know, not quite the same feeling as entering another park entrance we all know, but it's something)

Just after entering the park we found these guys just hanging around... I think they were looking for a flying squirrel.

NP6.jpg

We then got to the star attraction

NP7.jpg

As you may or may not know, but will now, Old Faithful spouts about once ever 70 minutes or so. We head up to the viewing deck and ask the nice park ranger there when the last spout was and when we can expect the next one. "Oh, the last one just finished about 6 or 7 minutes ago." :headache: Well, I guess we have another hour to check out the grounds and the lodge. So they have a very nice informational lodge talking about geysers and Old Faithful. They also have a nice little ice cream stand at the grand lodge. Ice cream it is! :thumbsup2 So we get some cold treats for those that are not allergic to dairy and I and Megan go hunting for a treat for her. So we found a nice treat and headed outside to enjoy. The temperature had warmed up a bit from the morning to about 85 degrees and it was clear and beautiful out. We finished up our snacks and then it began.

NP8.jpg

I don't think any picture can do that justice. This was truly awesome.

So after seeing one of the most spectacular natural shows ever, we move along and find another herd of buffalo.

NP9.jpg

Yes, they were really that close. We were only about 3 cars away from where they were crossing the road. It was amazing watching these beasts.

As we were driving we all heard the sound of rushing water and had to stop and see where it was coming from.

NP10.jpg

The lookout for the falls also had a nice little spot to take a rest from sitting in the van.

NP11.jpg

Still not sure why they needed to sit down.

Just as we got to the north end of Yellowstone we stopped at Mammoth Hot Springs.

NP12.jpg

The formation made by the hot springs is cool as its just limestone deposits built over time. It really amazes me how these natural wonders are formed. (I realize that I've been amazed by a lot here but there is a lot to be amazed by)

In the town of Mammoth Hot Springs, they have elk that wander the streets. You have to be careful driving as they are everywhere.

NP13.jpg

So that about wraps up our day through the National Parks. I would love to say that we've "seen" Grand Teton and Yellowstone, but really we just saw the highlight reel. If we ever get the chance I would love to spend a week just in these 2 parks exploring.

I think Erika's Facebook status was the best way to summarize this day:

"Yellowstone - 100+ buffalo, 5 moose, 12 elk, 2 grizzly bears, a geyser, a waterfall and some hot springs. Add in three happy girls for a great combination."

Tell me you went and saw "The Sinks" in LAnder!!! For those of you not in the know, The Sinks are where a raging water fall goes into a caving system and comes back out about 1/4 down the hill from the cave. There are some monster trout and when I say monsters im mean MONSTERS. 3-5 feet long (not an exaggeration either) You take loafs of bread and drop peices in the water and its a feeding frenzy. Wife was deployed there once we went and saw her and these huge fish. Fed dont even try it there are ranger (park rangers) watching this area 24/7.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...+the+sinks+lander+wy&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Mark, sorry to say that we didn't get to see "The Sinks". It sounds like a cool spot, but since we had no idea what we were getting into in Lander, we were completely unprepared.

:thumbsup2 If I'm ever in Lander, WY, I'll have to remember this one. :lmao:

So that about wraps up our day through the National Parks. I would love to say that we've "seen" Grand Teton and Yellowstone, but really we just saw the highlight reel. If we ever get the chance I would love to spend a week just in these 2 parks exploring.
Great pictures of the park! Definitely a lot to take in there, but at least you've been there and seen the major points. Gives you something to look forward to if you ever get a chance to go back that direction!

"Yellowstone - 100+ buffalo, 5 moose, 12 elk, 2 grizzly bears, a geyser, a waterfall and some hot springs. Add in three happy girls for a great combination."
:thumbsup2

So I get back to the room, food is dispersed to all and we dig in. I take a bite of my burger, and I stop. I savor. I am in love. :love: This has to be...

(Furiously scribbling "Lander Bar" in my Places I Need To Visit notebook.)

Or am I over-reacting.... it's possible..... Erika, try this... what do you think?

OMG!!! This is a great burger. I wish I had one of those instead of a Philly cheese steak sandwich. Then I inform her about their food sourcing policy. She tries her sandwich and.... OMG....this is a great sandwich, but the burger was better. :thumbsup2

We have a rule on the East Coast: never order a Philly cheese steak if you're anywhere outside the greater Philly area. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most places don't get it right. Once I ordered a "steak sandwich" in Califonia, and they gave me a sirloin steak with a piece of bread next to it. :rotfl2:

So if you are ever in the Lander, WY area I highly recommend stopping by the Lander Bar. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 (Yes that's 3 thumbs up because 2 thumbs just doesn't cut it)

How did you grow 3 thumbs? Never mind, I'm not sure I want to know.

As we continue on we see this:

NP2.jpg

No words, just enjoy it.

Ok, I can do that. :goodvibes

(I know, not quite the same feeling as entering another park entrance we all know, but it's something)

I dunno. I'd get pretty excited passing that sign.

I don't think any picture can do that justice. This was truly awesome.

Amazing scenery, and great pictures. This is one of those places everyone should see at least once in their lifetime.

Yes, they were really that close. We were only about 3 cars away from where they were crossing the road. It was amazing watching these beasts.

:eek: Did you try feeding them any cheese balls? :confused3

The formation made by the hot springs is cool as its just limestone deposits built over time. It really amazes me how these natural wonders are formed. (I realize that I've been amazed by a lot here but there is a lot to be amazed by)

I hope you get the chance to do that. Such an amazing place.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 <----thumbs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter