The 'we neeed to stay at DLH' PTR

jothp

Going to wash my car in honour of the mouse.
Well after quite a busy weekend of getting things sorted for our trip I have decided I can wait no longer to start our PTR.:goodvibes

The Who
Me (Jo) loves disneyland to escape reality
DH (Olie) doesn't love disneyland but is happy to go anywhere that makes his girls happy
DD1 Robyn (9) who loves Eeyore and Chip and Dale, RRC and BTM
DD2 Hattie (6) who loves Rapunzel, BTM and POTC
DD3 Evie (4) who loves Minnie and Snow White, Parachutes and IASW

After our trip with Sparklemums family last year, this year it will just be us and I think we are all really going to miss having them around:sad1:

The Where
Staying somewhere offsite and Disneyland Hotel:cool1:

I have always really fancied a stay at DLH but never though I would be able to justify the cost. This year however we decided to forget the money and just go for it and got a good deal using the dream annual passholder discount.

The When
It was going to be Mon 4th - Fri 8th June but after this weekend that has shifted slightly and will now be Tue 5th - Sat 9th June. I am a little nervous about being there on a Saturday but it will only be a part day and after surviving Ascension day and the Friday afterwards last year I'm sure it will be a doddle.

Well until this weekend all we had booked was 2 nights at DLH for Wed/Thur and were still deciding whether to arrive Mon/Tue to stay offsite. However I replaced my car last week and paid a bit under budget for the new car and got more than I expected for my old one so I decided to splash out and book a third night at DLH on Tuesday, then we would arrive Monday, stay the first night offsite and move to DLH on our second morning. Well that didn't quite go to plan as all the family rooms were booked for Tuesday :sad1:, if only I had made the decision sooner :sad2:. Still DH saw my disappointment and very quickly suggested trying the Friday night instead (I think he didn't want to be spending easter weekend with a grumpy wife:laughing:). We were in luck and the Friday night was very soon added to our booking. So we will still spend our first night offsite but will arrive Tuesday instead:goodvibes

Now we had finally decided definately on dates I could sort out the Eurotunnel and swiftly had our crossings booked only paying £13 + clubcard vouchers :goodvibes

I also sorted out our travel insurance and got £2.88 cashback through quidco on a spend of about £11 so that felt like a bargain.

We already have a yearly European breakdown policy so I think the only thing left to book is the hotel for our first night. I think it will be Adagio or Residhome as they both have rooms for 5.

At the moment our plans for each day are quite sketchy but this is what I have so far.

Tuesday
10.20 Eurotunnel crossing, we will take a picnic lunch with us and drive straight to the parks. We will leave after dinner to go and check into our hotel and have an early night.

Wednesday
The DLH is going to be kept as a surprise for the girls - not sure how to break it to them yet but we will be up early to check out and drive over to DLH ready to be in the park for the start of EMH. Will need to go back to the hotel to unpack the car and check in at some point. I think tonight will be another early night.

Thursday
Today we will be in the park for EMH again and will try to go back for a nap in the afternoon so that we can stay out for dreams.

Friday
I think today will pretty much be the same as Thursday but we may have to miss all/some of EMH after a late night.

Saturday
Really want to be in the park for EMH on our last day. We will then book a lateish lunch before leaving at about 3.30 to travel back to Calais.

We are a bit undecided on food at the moment too. DH loves Walts so I think we will probably end up there. The girls love cafe mickey but I think seeing as we are staying at DLH it would be rude not to try inventions and don't think we would do both in one trip. I think youngest and middle DD's would love Auberge and youngest can't remember our other meals there but it is very expensive. I would quite like to try Agrabah as we haven't been there yet. DH likes the idea of blue lagoon being inside POTC but none of us are big fish eaters (especially him!!!) so not sure. We have also enjoyed the plaza in the past and buffets are always good for filling up:goodvibes The girls also mentioned today that they would like to do the wild west show again but not sure how that would fit in with plans for early nights and dreams but I will keep my eyes open for bargain ticket offers like we got last year. :goodvibes I am also undecided about whether or not to do the dinner and dreams, it doesn't seem the viewing spot is that great but it might just be worth it to avoid having to grab a space hours in advance. Sitting still with a tired 4 year old is not my idea of fun.:scared1:

Sorry to waffle of so much and if you are still with me thanks for reading. I plan soon to make a list of everything I need to do to feel ready for the trip and will hopefully be able to start ticking them off, after all it is only just over 8 weeks to go:rotfl:

Great plans :thumbsup2

Well done on getting an extra night at DLH, that sounds great. And well done on keeping it a surprise for the girls, don't know that I could manage that :lmao:

I chop and change our meal plans all the time, but I suppose until you're nearly there, it's hard to make a definite choice.

Look forward to hearing more :)

Sounds great Jo :thumbsup2

Hurrah for another night at the DLH - your girls will love it :lovestruc. It is also so much easier for naps/Dreams late nights etc from there! Warning though, you won't want to stay anywhere else again! :lmao:

I know what you mean about meals - I'm thinking ahead already but know we will do overkill on character meals (always do :lmao:). I think the parks are going to be busy so I want to do as much character meeting without getting into scrums. I've been keep peeking at our dates and some nights are coming up as sold out at HNY (and DLH too) in that week so they are either keeping rooms back (not sure why they would do that?) or it is going to be busy, busy :eek:.

Still don't know about Dreams meal yet either - I'm more worried about booking it (and eating meal earlier in day/night) and then DD2 being grumpy/meltdown so we miss it if you see what I mean.... I love the look of California Grill option but not with two children in tow! I do agree that the advantage with young children for this package is not waiting around forever to stake your place!

Great plans about pacing yourselves for the show nights though - as I said on the main board it is a lot for the DDs and your younger 2 are similar ish ages to mine.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing more - still haven't started a PTR yet as I still need to get my head around meals etc yet!

Great plans :thumbsup2

Well done on getting an extra night at DLH, that sounds great. And well done on keeping it a surprise for the girls, don't know that I could manage that :lmao:

I chop and change our meal plans all the time, but I suppose until you're nearly there, it's hard to make a definite choice.

Look forward to hearing more :)

I know I am so excited about the extra night at DLH:goodvibes. Going to try really hard to get the meal plans sorted in the next few weeks, but I'm sure they will still change again:rotfl:

Sounds great Jo :thumbsup2

Hurrah for another night at the DLH - your girls will love it :lovestruc. It is also so much easier for naps/Dreams late nights etc from there! Warning though, you won't want to stay anywhere else again! :lmao:

I know what you mean about meals - I'm thinking ahead already but know we will do overkill on character meals (always do :lmao:). I think the parks are going to be busy so I want to do as much character meeting without getting into scrums. I've been keep peeking at our dates and some nights are coming up as sold out at HNY (and DLH too) in that week so they are either keeping rooms back (not sure why they would do that?) or it is going to be busy, busy :eek:.

Still don't know about Dreams meal yet either - I'm more worried about booking it (and eating meal earlier in day/night) and then DD2 being grumpy/meltdown so we miss it if you see what I mean.... I love the look of California Grill option but not with two children in tow! I do agree that the advantage with young children for this package is not waiting around forever to stake your place!

Great plans about pacing yourselves for the show nights though - as I said on the main board it is a lot for the DDs and your younger 2 are similar ish ages to mine.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing more - still haven't started a PTR yet as I still need to get my head around meals etc yet!

I agree you wouldn't want to pay extra for the dreams meal and then not be able to use your space in the VIP area. I am really glad we are near enough this year to pop back to the room because of the late nights and also because we are going without the buggy.:scared1: Not too worried about Evie walking but it was so useful for carrying things in the park. This year we will only be able to take what we can sensibly fit in our bags so no more kitchen sink!:rotfl:

I'm reading along happily, you'll love the dlh, I'm slightly disappointed not to be staying there this time but being high season it's £600 more :scared1:

I seem to be stuck in a restaurant rut as far as DLP goes, never seem to deviate from Walts, cafe mickey, inventions and blue lagoon so I'm rubbish at meals advice!

Looking forward to keeping up to date with your plans :cool1:

Oooooh you'll love the DLH!

I know I'll be sad I'm not staying there - especially as we walk under it each day. But I just have to keep reminding myself that it's £1100 more!!

Looking forward to hearing your plans and reading about the girls getting the DLH surprise.

Could you even maybe say you're just parking there for the day? Then when you go back in at 3pm for the room break it to them? Not sure how it's work with check in and luggage though. X

So jealous of the DLH! Your girls are going to be in awe!

xx

I'm reading along happily, you'll love the dlh, I'm slightly disappointed not to be staying there this time but being high season it's £600 more :scared1:

I seem to be stuck in a restaurant rut as far as DLP goes, never seem to deviate from Walts, cafe mickey, inventions and blue lagoon so I'm rubbish at meals advice!

Looking forward to keeping up to date with your plans :cool1:

Oooooh you'll love the DLH!

I know I'll be sad I'm not staying there - especially as we walk under it each day. But I just have to keep reminding myself that it's £1100 more!!

Looking forward to hearing your plans and reading about the girls getting the DLH surprise.

Could you even maybe say you're just parking there for the day? Then when you go back in at 3pm for the room break it to them? Not sure how it's work with check in and luggage though. X

So jealous of the DLH! Your girls are going to be in awe!

xx

Thanks guys, I'm sure we will love the DLH just for the convenience and the breakfast if nothing else. Really glad we are getting to stay there but a bit worried that we will never want to stay anywhere else again. It didn't work out too much more expensive for us because they have the family rooms in DLH but we would have had to pay for 2 rooms in HNY

Loving reading this PTR Jo :goodvibes:cool1:

Though.... I still can't believe you are not taking a pushchair for DD3! :scared1:. Are you going to hire one via Dreams AP? I think we will do that for DD1 if we feel she needs one but have decided to take our own for DD2!

Well I have done a first draft of the to do list I'm sure I have probably missed something but here goes :rotfl:

• Book hotel for first night.
  • Print booking confirmation for both hotels, Eurotunnel booking confirmation and travel insurance policy.
  • Add European driving to my car insurance, print certificate, find breakdown policy.
  • Buy headlamp adaptors, GB stickers and spare bulbs for new car.
  • Decide how to surprise girls with DLH.
  • Make and buy autograph books.
  • Decide on/buy bags for us to carry in the park.
  • Stock up on drinks and snacks to take with us.
  • Get together packs of things for the girls to do on the journey.
  • Check and restock first aid kit (note to self: make sure we take piriton)
  • Sort out the girls disney outfits for the trip/make sure they have all the clothes they need.
  • Write a packing list.(at least three times is compulsory!)
  • Decide on meals and book them
  • Work out a plan for our days
  • Work out how much money we need and change into Euros
  • Write plans into a notebook to carry in my bag

Sorry this list is a bit boring but hopefully it will act as a reminder to me - please say if you think I have missed anything:goodvibes

Loving reading this PTR Jo :goodvibes:cool1:

Though.... I still can't believe you are not taking a pushchair for DD3! :scared1:. Are you going to hire one via Dreams AP? I think we will do that for DD1 if we feel she needs one but have decided to take our own for DD2!

That will be the back up if we find we need one. Even last year she mainly only went in the buggy under protest when I wanted her to nap or would hop in for a few minutes before hopping out again. DD2 was about the same age on her first trip and had to do without a buggy as we were using it for DD3!! I must admit I think we would at least be putting ours in the car if we didn't have the opportunity to hire one for free.:goodvibes

Well I have dug out all the girls disney t shirts. DD1 and DD3 each have 5 nice t shirts (one for each day of our trip) DD2 however only has 3 plus one that is identical to her older sisters and she doesn't want to wear the same!! I am now looking around for another two t shirts for her or at least one. She has 2 minnie and one rapunzel and has asked for something different! I have been looking on ebay, Tesco and George but I'm not sure I've found anything she will like yet :sad2: If I ever manage to get her extras I will post some photos of what they have.:goodvibes

Well I have dug out all the girls disney t shirts. DD1 and DD3 each have 5 nice t shirts (one for each day of our trip) DD2 however only has 3 plus one that is identical to her older sisters and she doesn't want to wear the same!! I am now looking around for another two t shirts for her or at least one. She has 2 minnie and one rapunzel and has asked for something different! I have been looking on ebay, Tesco and George but I'm not sure I've found anything she will like yet :sad2: If I ever manage to get her extras I will post some photos of what they have.:goodvibes

H&M, sportsdirect had some Disney tees!

thanks for the list jo - gives me a prompt on things i need to do (like book transfers lmao)

yes, do try sportsdirect for tshirts, i got sum for the boys from there and theres sum lovely girls ones!!!!

i will look out for u on the friday & saturday, im hopin both those days arent too busy lol i need to do a ptr but dont know where to start yet lol still 8 wks to go...... (i swear its not gettin closer lol)

H&M, sportsdirect had some Disney tees!

thanks for the list jo - gives me a prompt on things i need to do (like book transfers lmao)

yes, do try sportsdirect for tshirts, i got sum for the boys from there and theres sum lovely girls ones!!!!

i will look out for u on the friday & saturday, im hopin both those days arent too busy lol i need to do a ptr but dont know where to start yet lol still 8 wks to go...... (i swear its not gettin closer lol)

Thanks I had a look on sports direct and there are some really nice t shirts there but we settled on a red one with both Donald and Daisy on the front that I found on ebay. I also found another Rapunzel one she already had in the ironing pile:rotfl: So crisis over.

Nikki - glad my list is useful to somebody, thought I might come across as a bit obsessive but in my opinion you can never have too many lists, I normally end up with lists of my lists :rotfl:

I think my job for this lovely cold, rainy afternoon will be to dig out the sunhats/glasses and make sure they still fit.

Nikki - glad my list is useful to somebody, thought I might come across as a bit obsessive but in my opinion you can never have too many lists, I normally end up with lists of my lists :rotfl:

a woman after my own heart!!! thought it was only me that had lists of lists!!!!! i usually have 3, as well as walkin round with piece of paper to note things down - not obsessive at all :rotfl:

thanks for the reminder on hats/sunglasses.... must have a hunt....

Write plans into a notebook to carry in my bag

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I think we might be the same person :lmao: I can't leave the house without it.

I also have a draft email on my laptop and one on my work email and email between them both whenever I update them :laughing:

Do you think there might be something wrong with us all on here :upsidedow

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I think we might be the same person :lmao: I can't leave the house without it.

I also have a draft email on my laptop and one on my work email and email between them both whenever I update them :laughing:

Do you think there might be something wrong with us all on here :upsidedow

:rotfl: I think we must be the normal ones and there is something wrong with everyone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter