The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

Please keep our little community in your heart. One of the young sailors lost in the Pacific is from our town. I am heartbroken. We are such a small town, and his loss is devastating.
....ohhhhhh, my condolences......:hug: Prayers to the community and his family....

WFDT? I'm not sure, as I'm still trying to figure that one out.....however, I made an awesome 'concoction' of sorts on Monday, with our first goo-gootz [baseball bat squash] from the garden.....BTW, just got back Sunday from a week in Puerto Rico....what an awesome trip! All the cousins got to really bond and it made my mom happy to see the entire family together....now, getting back to Monday's dinner:

I sauteed [in EVOO] 3 finely chopped garlic cloves with thinly sliced pork (I guess it is like a piece of boneless rib meat) and chunks of chicken breast. I set that aside after about 15 minutes and sauteed a SMALL finely chopped white onion with the squash [peeled, seeds removed, and cut into small chunks] till the squash became translucent. I got a small cooked smoked ham steak [precooked] and cut that into small pieces. I added that, along with a can of cannellini beans. I added the meat that was set aside, along with about 5 oz of cooked penne (GF, of course!) and mixed all ingredients together. Finally, I added heavy cream and grated parmesan cheese, and sprinkled on some freshly chopped parsley before serving. I served it with crusty Italian bread.....YUMMY!

cucuzza+squash+dec+14.jpg
Sounds delicious!

My DH wants to go back to PR. He went as a young adult with his aunt and uncle, and has never been back since. I have looked a bit, but since Buddy plans to retire this year I think that we can work in a trip for just the two of us. We seldom go anywhere just us two, but I think we wil save this trip for us. Yu know I will be asking for a lot of advice!

....since I am no longer going to use Photobucket, I have to figure out how I can post pics from my phone....

Please keep our little community in your heart. One of the young sailors lost in the Pacific is from our town. I am heartbroken. We are such a small town, and his loss is devastating.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine what that muse be like to suffer such a loss in a community like that. :hug:

I sauteed [in EVOO] 3 finely chopped garlic cloves with thinly sliced pork (I guess it is like a piece of boneless rib meat) and chunks of chicken breast. I set that aside after about 15 minutes and sauteed a SMALL finely chopped white onion with the squash [peeled, seeds removed, and cut into small chunks] till the squash became translucent. I got a small cooked smoked ham steak [precooked] and cut that into small pieces. I added that, along with a can of cannellini beans. I added the meat that was set aside, along with about 5 oz of cooked penne (GF, of course!) and mixed all ingredients together. Finally, I added heavy cream and grated parmesan cheese, and sprinkled on some freshly chopped parsley before serving. I served it with crusty Italian bread.....YUMMY!

Is that your own concoction or is it based on a recipe? Sounds delicious, but I would never think of combing three different types of meats in one dish. Well maybe a Jambalaya or Gumbo, but I guess I'm sort of boring and generally stick to one type of meat per dish.

WFDT? Cube steaks with fresh tomato sauce (made with tomatoes from our garden) and Zucchini boats.

Is that your own concoction or is it based on a recipe? Sounds delicious, but I would never think of combing three different types of meats in one dish. Well maybe a Jambalaya or Gumbo, but I guess I'm sort of boring and generally stick to one type of meat per dish.

WFDT? Cube steaks with fresh tomato sauce (made with tomatoes from our garden) and Zucchini boats.
.....honestly, I don't know what possessed me to do that either, but I was at the supermarket and just [spur of the moment] decided to do so....actually, I make a cabbage soup and I combine different meats in that too [smoked ham 'shanks'(?), bacon, and kielbasa, or some other kind of Polish sausage]...

Good Morning!!!!!! Brandi- I love your Fall adventures. I know it is frustrating to be battling a few pounds but I think that you have been through a lot. Give your body permission to finish healing, then address a pound or two.

So I have been busy. I am full time now, and learning a new aspect of my job. Yikes! What comes easily to so many is not easy for me, but I thin I will enjoy it a lot once I am more comfortable juggling things around.

I have been cooking sporadically, and have been using the Instant Pot. My husband hates it. Well, he actually does not hate it, but he is not a fan. I do love it for yogurt, and have ben making it for the girls, who love it, and for me. Buddy glares at yogurt. I guess it is not ice cream! LOL!

Tonight I think we are going to Red Robin. There is a local fund raiser there tonight, and so he plans to grab the three girls at Marisa's and meet us there, unless he works late.

Full time that is great, right?
If there is anything I can help with just let me know.

I have been making stuff in my IP for awhile now but have not tried to make yogurt. What probiotic do you use?

Does Red Robin have non-meat burgers too, we have one pretty close to us, but I have never been there. Believe it or not, there is an Elevation Burger right next door to red robin and I have not been there either.

So sorry to hear about the sailors and to have one from your home town is tough. Your little town has had some heart ache this year, prayers for all.

Well, I ended up eating left over green beans, left over red russian chard, bell pepper, and cucumbers. David had grilled chicken breast with his.

Does Red Robin have non-meat burgers too, we have one pretty close to us, but I have never been there. Believe it or not, there is an Elevation Burger right next door to red robin and I have not been there either.....
....I've been to Red Robin, but I cannot remember whether they have a non-meat burger. However, they do offer a burger on a lettuce wrap as an alternative to the traditional 'bread' bun.....it's soooo good!

me too, and have not found a way yet?

....I know.....:confused3 Maybe I can somehow upload it onto my DH's laptop and put them in a file....then, post those pix directly from the file....

The DIS has 50MB of space available, but for me that would be three updates of a TR. Like I said before people I know are using smug mug or Flickr. People have tried Google images but that one is not consistent as too whether or not the pictures display properly in posts.

Full time that is great, right?
If there is anything I can help with just let me know.

I have been making stuff in my IP for awhile now but have not tried to make yogurt. What probiotic do you use?

Does Red Robin have non-meat burgers too, we have one pretty close to us, but I have never been there. Believe it or not, there is an Elevation Burger right next door to red robin and I have not been there either.

So sorry to hear about the sailors and to have one from your home town is tough. Your little town has had some heart ache this year, prayers for all.

Well, I ended up eating left over green beans, left over red russian chard, bell pepper, and cucumbers. David had grilled chicken breast with his.
I have not noticed a non meat burger at RR, but I have never looked. When I make yogurt in the IP I use 2 containers of Fairlife milk, and use a heaping tablespoon of plain Chobani to start it and one can of sweetened condensed milk. I also add some vanilla extract. It is easy and delicious! I use the yogurt setting, cold start and set it 10 hours. I do strain it for 2 hours and the consistency is good for us.

I agree that our town has suffered some losses recently, and plenty of heartache. I am an admin on a forum that is pretty feisty, to say the least. I have to say that so far we have had total respect for this young man and his family, which for this forum means that there has been zero discussion other than to post support and prayers. Darn good thing too because I am generally the admin who wants to boot and ban people, and the other two are more liberal, let them post what they want people. I think they would beat me to the button if anyone upset this family.

Tonight I want to go to JC Penny to return shirts I bought for Bud, so we will probably get food out. I prefer that because I have a flat on my poor highlander, and never told Bud I picked up a screw. It was keeping air so I let it go. He is less than thrilled, shall we say, and needed to get it fixed. I guess my spare is not holding air. More fuel for him so I get a new car. Ugh!

The DIS has 50MB of space available, but for me that would be three updates of a TR. Like I said before people I know are using smug mug or Flickr. People have tried Google images but that one is not consistent as too whether or not the pictures display properly in posts.
Thanks, Alison! I will check them out.

I have not noticed a non meat burger at RR, but I have never looked. When I make yogurt in the IP I use 2 containers of Fairlife milk, and use a heaping tablespoon of plain Chobani to start it and one can of sweetened condensed milk. I also add some vanilla extract. It is easy and delicious! I use the yogurt setting, cold start and set it 10 hours. I do strain it for 2 hours and the consistency is good for us.

I agree that our town has suffered some losses recently, and plenty of heartache. I am an admin on a forum that is pretty feisty, to say the least. I have to say that so far we have had total respect for this young man and his family, which for this forum means that there has been zero discussion other than to post support and prayers. Darn good thing too because I am generally the admin who wants to boot and ban people, and the other two are more liberal, let them post what they want people. I think they would beat me to the button if anyone upset this family.

Tonight I want to go to JC Penny to return shirts I bought for Bud, so we will probably get food out. I prefer that because I have a flat on my poor highlander, and never told Bud I picked up a screw. It was keeping air so I let it go. He is less than thrilled, shall we say, and needed to get it fixed. I guess my spare is not holding air. More fuel for him so I get a new car. Ugh!

Two of the missing men are from Maryland and are from towns not far from me, but not a whole lot of mentioning here but a little on the news.

So for your yogurt, you are using the culture from your Chobani as a starter. I was looking at different probiotics to add to coconut milk as the starter but I guess I could just buy some coconut yogurt and try your method first. Have you tried it without the Sweetened Condensed Milk?

Two of the missing men are from Maryland and are from towns not far from me, but not a whole lot of mentioning here but a little on the news.

So for your yogurt, you are using the culture from your Chobani as a starter. I was looking at different probiotics to add to coconut milk as the starter but I guess I could just buy some coconut yogurt and try your method first. Have you tried it without the Sweetened Condensed Milk?

I think that the families awaiting word must be going thru Hell. I am so sorry.

I use the condensed milk because the girls like it, but many folks so not. They use it interchangeably with sour cream. If they flavor it or sweeten it they do so after. Use plain Chobani or Fage as the starter. I saw that some fols are using condensed coconut milk, but not flavored yogurt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter