They're putting fences up on the beaches

So, no signs for raccoons, geckos, bats, etc.
So......raccoons and bats can't kill you?

What about armadillos? We saw several of them at Port Orleans one year. Just checked - they have large claws that can harm you, but will typically run away. I still wouldn't take the chance, and walked the other way when we saw them.

What about armadillos? We saw several of them at Port Orleans one year. Just checked - they have large claws that can harm you, but will typically run away. I still wouldn't take the chance, and walked the other way when we saw them.
And bats and raccoons can be rabid.

I'm guessing we will see at least "snake signs" on all Resort walkways.

Considering Disney didn't respond with signs,etc. after the 1986 Fort Wilderness alligator attack,I would think they will feel it necessary now to try to warn Guests of any POSSIBLE danger no matter how small the risk.

No an armidillo will not kill you. They won't try to hurt you. Just for reference our male dog will run to them and lift his leg. I guess he figures they are "his". None have ever done anything to the dog.

They mostly dig holes in your yard.

Teen guys around here used go out at night and catch them. They didn't do anything with them or hurt them just terrorized them. Never heard of anyone getting hurt. Stupid pasttime but not dangerous.

And bats and raccoons can be rabid.

I'm guessing we will see at least "snake signs" on all Resort walkways.

Considering Disney didn't respond with signs,etc. after the 1986 Fort Wilderness alligator attack,I would think they will feel it necessary now to try to warn Guests of any POSSIBLE danger no matter how small the risk.
I said this before in another thread, but I'll ask again...

How many people (other than residents) realize Florida is the sink hole capital of the world? Should Disney have signs that say "beware of sink holes"?

I think much of this is over the top, but it's very much the way things are today.

MG

Then, if it happens again, it will be the fault of the person because they both disregarded a sign AND crossed a fence.

Except that they just look pretty. They don't look like a FENCE. So some people will just think it's for looks. And obviously if they REALLY meant it about the alligators and snakes they'd build a REAL fence.

Obviously, anyone can get through the fence to the water if they are determined, but at least it will be clear that this is not allowed.

Is it?

Do all people actually understand that?

Recently in my town, in this one park area, we had two incidents. People do not understand that things aren't always for them.

I want those items and will chip them out and take them home: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article75443157.html

Obviously those rocks don't belong to anyone; they are just there at the waterfront, and I want them: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article77542582.html

For both issues (and yes at the same park in the same timeframe) something that was obvious to many many people for years suddenly wasn't obvious to at least two groups of people.

How many people (other than residents) realize Florida is the sink hole capital of the world? Should Disney have signs that say "beware of sink holes"?

I didn't know it was the capital (I saw an article about a gigantic one in Mexico a year or so ago), but I definitely know about their sinkhole issues. And I've only ever visited Florida.

Well, I told my husband today I thought they'd put up a barrier. That was quick.

I think it might actually enhance the looks of the beach if they treat it like the fencing on a real beach. All beaches have the fencing near the sea grass and marshes, so it could look nice aesthetically if they go that route.

I am not blaming anyone for this terrible accident but I do have a question about the fence. This fence very much reminds me of the one at the zoo where the small child slipped through and into the gorilla enclosure except it is rope instead of metal. When that accident happened there was much outcry that the fence wasn't adequate and something better had to built in case a child darts away from their parent. If that was a widely held belief in that case, why is the fence here any better? A child could get thru this thing in an instant.

By the way, I like the looks of this fence. It fits with a beach theme.

This fence isn't a barrier. It's built to stop people from getting into the water at all by using their brains: "Ah, a fence. I'd better not go to the other side of it."

The fence at the zoo is one of four barriers - fence, thick shrubbery, fence, moat - designed to keep the different mammals apart.

How long until someone takes their special snowflake across the barrier because rules and good judgement don't apply to them?

I'm sure someone will, but people will be warning them to come back before something happens instead of blaming Disney. I think there are three categories of visitors - those who follow the rules very cautiously, those who don't quite follow them because they misinterpret them, and those who won't follow them anyway. You can't change the third category, but I think this will reduce the second.

Also what about warnings for other wildlife-for example,we had a large Raccoon hanging out at All-Star Music last month-do you think Disney will put up generic "Beware of Wildlife" signs around the property?

I think we will begin getting detailed flyers about wildlife in our check-in packets.

I think that's why they went with it. Unlike the zoo, where people are meant to be right up against the fences, these "beaches" are just meant to be part of the background/theming/view, so they're trying hard not to spoil that. A lot of things would have to happen at the same time now in order for another incident to occur.

We were on a boat ride once on a river in Florida and there were a bunch of kids swimming in the river. They were at a church on the water I believe. All I could think of was the alligators!
Also went on a river tubing in Kissimmee river years ago. Saw an alligator. My church youth group was in that river all day! I was scared but we just floated down the river.
Probably wouldn't ever do that again.

Last edited:
I am not blaming anyone for this terrible accident but I do have a question about the fence. This fence very much reminds me of the one at the zoo where the small child slipped through and into the gorilla enclosure except it is rope instead of metal. When that accident happened there was much outcry that the fence wasn't adequate and something better had to built in case a child darts away from their parent. If that was a widely held belief in that case, why is the fence here any better? A child could get thru this thing in an instant.

From Disney's statement yesterday, this fencing is temporary while they prepare appropriate long term solutions.

If this was an Alligator Viewing Spot, and the public were being encouraged to come up to the fence in order to see the very numerous alligators who'd been corralled there, then I would agree that the fence is inadequate.

However, this is not a zoo. There's no invitation to "come see the alligators!" So, the fence is not acting to keep people and gators apart, but rather just as a simple visual reminder that the edge of the water is not suitable for swimming, wading, rinsing the sand off your toes, scooping up water for sand castles, or any other such activity. The nice big clear warning about gators and snakes makes it even more likely that most people will stay away (the mention of snakes, especially, should do it).

A random child ducking under the Grand Floridian ropes to jump into the water will almost certainly not die of a gator attack before he can be caught and returned to shore. Whereas a child ducking under the ropes at a zoo in order to dive into the gorilla pool is in much more immediate danger, and is much harder to retrieve safely. Different levels of risk, different requirements for fencing.

If this was an Alligator Viewing Spot, and the public were being encouraged to come up to the fence in order to see the very numerous alligators who'd been corralled there, then I would agree that the fence is inadequate.

However, this is not a zoo. There's no invitation to "come see the alligators!" So, the fence is not acting to keep people and gators apart, but rather just as a simple visual reminder that the edge of the water is not suitable for swimming, wading, rinsing the sand off your toes, scooping up water for sand castles, or any other such activity. The nice big clear warning about gators and snakes makes it even more likely that most people will stay away (the mention of snakes, especially, should do it).

A random child ducking under the Grand Floridian ropes to jump into the water will almost certainly not die of a gator attack before he can be caught and returned to shore. Whereas a child ducking under the ropes at a zoo in order to dive into the gorilla pool is in much more immediate danger, and is much harder to retrieve safely. Different levels of risk, different requirements for fencing.
Exactly. If the shores were lined with alligators and this event wasn't so extremely rare then I imagine that things would be a lot different.

I think much of this is over the top, but it's very much the way things are today.

MG

Well, if Disney put up a big family gathering spot in an area where they knew they had a problem with sinkholes, then yes, I would absolutely expect signs saying that. But mostly, I would question why they put a big family gathering area in a spot like that in the first place.

MG

You think Disney's choice to warn people of a known danger on their property is over the top? I'm glad that Disney doesn't feel that way because even if what they are doing saves the life of another 2 year old in the next 45 years its worth it.

Well, if Disney put up a big family gathering spot in an area where they knew they had a problem with sinkholes, then yes, I would absolutely expect signs saying that. But mostly, I would question why they put a big family gathering area in a spot like that in the first place.
From what I understand, a sinkhole can happen just about anywhere in Florida. There was the one at the nearby offsite resort not that long ago after all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter