They're putting fences up on the beaches

Yes, false sense of security is a good way to say it, Asta. People COULD think the only danger from alligators is being too close to the water when in fact, they could really be anywhere on property. Sure the danger may be greater near the water, but you just never know.

I am not a lawyer but I would think the fences create a liability by establishing a false sense of security. Either people or gators could cross a fence in an instant. They would do nothing to stop a child from going under or over while their parent's attention is focused somewhere else.

I'll bet the permanent ones will be of a much more "childproof" design, though - something tough to climb or squeeze through, more of an actual barrier.

I'll bet the permanent ones will be of a much more "childproof" design, though - something tough to climb or squeeze through, more of an actual barrier.
Well, that would have to be some sort of solid wall, at least 10' high. It won't be just kids trying to get over whatever barriers that would be erected, sadly.

Time was it was sufficient for a property owner to just say "don't go in the water (creek, pool, whatever) and others would obey. Now, everyone has to watch out for everyone else (Don't eat the laundry soap, and by the way, coffee is hot).

No more personal responsibility. :sad2:

I said this before in another thread, but I'll ask again...

How many people (other than residents) realize Florida is the sink hole capital of the world? Should Disney have signs that say "beware of sink holes"?

I think much of this is over the top, but it's very much the way things are today.

MG

I did not know that.

I'm kind of losing interest in vacationing/spending money in Florida.

Yes, false sense of security is a good way to say it, Asta. People COULD think the only danger from alligators is being too close to the water when in fact, they could really be anywhere on property. Sure the danger may be greater near the water, but you just never know.

To be fair, the only time I've ever scanned my surroundings for gators at Disney, is when I'm traipsing down the walking path between Hollywood Studios and Epcot, and then mainly because I'm hoping to see one, not because I think I actually will.

I don't think there actually IS any real danger from alligators, if you're not wading near the water's edge at dusk. I'm probably in more real danger from my fellow guests, than I am from gators.

Of course sink holes are filled in... They're not just left to sit open. My point was, as you stated, its a special process.

There is no way to equate sink holes to alligators as you're suggesting with the 50 gators. Point is that if your intent is to warn guests about local dangers that they may not be aware of, why stop at gators??

MG

As you said with all do respect, I think you know better. The two aren't even in the same ballpark. If you don't get that a natural disaster warning and a warning about wild life at a man made lagoon on a beach disney promotes and encourages activities, playing and sandcastle building for children honestly isn't different, then I cannot help you. I guess technically all places should warn of alien abductions and meteors hitting the hotel too as they are technically all possible. Silly comparisons. :cool:

So if fences don't work and signs don't work and warning people won't work and they can't get rid of all gators then what can Disney do?

So if fences don't work and signs don't work and warning people won't work and they can't get rid of all gators then what can Disney do?
Exactly.

The answer is - not much. Again, I'll just say it's really the fact that there's not much personal responsibility anymore. People don't want to be responsible for whatever may befall them if they opt to do things and disregard whatever rules may be in place.

As you said with all do respect, I think you know better. The two aren't even in the same ballpark. If you don't get that a natural disaster warning and a warning about wild life at a man made lagoon on a beach disney promotes and encourages activities, playing and sandcastle building for children honestly isn't different, then I cannot help you. I guess technically all places should warn of alien abductions and meteors hitting the hotel too as they are technically all possible. Silly comparisons. :cool:
Alligators attacking guests are about as common as the things you suggest... Everyone is in full panic mode for that, so why not meteors??
Although just because it's Florida doesn't make it more likely for a meteor strike.... But it does make it more likely for sink holes.

I have no problem with increasing and modifying the signage. I do have heartburn from mass hysteria and people cancelling trips and filling in the lagoon with cement.

It's one rare event that is out of control.

MG

I remember on one of my first trips to WDW before they had ME and we took the Mears bus to the resort, the driver was very chatty and mentioned alligators several times so even though I am from Nebraska I knew that there were alligators all over Florida. I enjoy the ME videos but they don't give the drivers the chance to talk and possibly warn visitors about possible dangers. Maybe they could put a warning message in the video about staying away from the water and why. My heart goes out to the family but I can't blame anybody for a tragic accident.

Alligators attacking guests are about as common as the things you suggest... Everyone is in full panic mode for that, so why not meteors??
Although just because it's Florida doesn't make it more likely for a meteor strike.... But it does make it more likely for sink holes.

I have no problem with increasing and modifying the signage. I do have heartburn from mass hysteria and people cancelling trips and filling in the lagoon with cement.

It's one rare event that is out of control.

MG

That mass hysteria is coming from a very small percent of people, most just want to see proper precautions. Honestly your reaction falls into hysteria as well, just on the other side of the aisle. Go take a handful of tums and some deep breaths. :P

That mass hysteria is coming from a very small percent of people, most just want to see proper precautions. Honestly your reaction falls into hysteria as well, just on the other side of the aisle. Go take a handful of tums and some deep breaths. :P
Lol!! I never get worked up about this stuff. If I did, I could never do my job.

MG

I'm quite an aviation buff and was just curious.
No problem... I guess I already spilled the beans who I work for and where I'm based, but prefer not to narrow it further.

Do you fly yourself?
Sorry, that's my last question as not to totally derail the thread (although it could use derailing at this point!!).

MG

No problem... I guess I already spilled the beans who I work for and where I'm based, but prefer not to narrow it further.

Do you fly yourself?
Sorry, that's my last question as not to totally derail the thread (although it could use derailing at this point!!).

MG

Sending you a quick PM.

da-dum, da-dum, da-dum, da-dum, da-dum,da-dum,da-dum,da-dum...... fencing at Vero, Hilton Head and Aulani?

Wonder if Walt ever thought that there should be fencing at WDW?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter