This forum is awesome but

Status
Not open for further replies.
yaksack said:
I am the only one with the courage to say something.

Courage? I think it's pitiful. Do you vacation in Florida? If so how do you stand it? I honestly think I hear other languages just as much, if not more than English.

And I can just imagine how someone might feel now after reading your comments, about posting trying to plan a trip or ask questions.

cynderella said:
It's called racism, and I'm probably going to be the only one with the courage to say THAT.

Typical response. You have no valid points so pull the race card.

It ends now.

Dare I say... this board is all about diversity and being able to state your opinion.

I think the spanish thread is great.... Vive la differerance! (I'm sure I slaughtered that.... ) :thumbsup2

yaksack said:

It ends now.
Well, I notice you didn't answer the question about why it bothers you so much, and maybe that's because, however you word it, it's going to sound like you have a problem with people being different.

I also notice that instead of explaining how your attitude is NOT racist, you decided to shut down the conversation (much, I am sure, to everyone else's relief). It is, after all, your complaint and your thread, so you're the one who should be making the valid points here.

This just in.....

i translated the spanish post and the poster is giving out information on a code you can use to get a FREE Disney vacation for 2 weeks- everything included @ the Grand Floridian- but if you cant read it-- you cant go! :rotfl2:

sorry! :lmao:

to give him the benefit of the doubt....maybe the origial poster's post just didnt "come out right" and we interpreted it wrong....... :confused3 and now it has been blown out of proportion......

or maybe not :rolleyes:

Maybe it's just me, but I thought most responses were very civil to the OP.
OP claims to be the only one with "courage" to say something about a post not being written in English--I say OP is the only one who is bothered by the use of a different language. Doesn't really involve courage at all. :confused3
Perhaps OP is unhappy that no one supported his/her views. I know how that goes--I've had several threads where I received little sympathy. Or even response! :teeth:
Ah well, try another topic, OP. We're open to lots of diversity here at the DIS! :sunny: (Or maybe that's what's bothering the OP? ;) )

OP---you will not change the fact that many people on these boards are from other countries(or trying to make a living in this country). How do you know that the person who started that thread isn't learning English as we speak? Racism is what your post is about, plain and simple. If you don't like it then go elsewhere. I highly doubt you're going to find alot of sympathy here. :sad2:

yaksack said:
Typical response. You have no valid points.

Signed,

Someone who speaks ONLY English but is tolerant of others who aren't exactly like me.

OK, I think I figured out OP's view of life by looking at these posts as well as posts on other threads.

OP is what those in psychological circles call "egocentric." This is not a disorder. It simply means what it says, seeing one's self as the center, or rather as the "only." No one could possibly have a differing opinion, and if they do there is something wrong with them.

In a previous thread about concierge level of resorts, he responded that the only reason anyone wants to stay on a concierge level is to flaunt to others how wealthy they are. How sad this view is. Are there wealthy people who flaunt their wealth? Of course there are. But how sad that OP sees ONLY that possibility and not any other possibiities. That is egocentricity.

In this thread, he sort of whines that he wants all threads to be in English so he can understand them. How dare he be excluded from something! That's egocentricity.

I was really hoping that OP was a teenager, as almost all of us were hopelessly egocentric at that age (it's "normal" at that stage of development), but alas, he is an adult.

It's not all about you. You're one of about 98,000 people in this community. It's not all about you. And that's okay.

To the OP, I post on that thread and I can promise you that no one's talking bad about you, if that's you were worried about when you posted this thread. :rolleyes:

So, it's ok to have dedicated threads on the Community boards for just about everything under the sun (most of which probably do not interest you) but a dedicated Spanish language thread bothers you? :confused3

You know what angers me?

Why do people walk through Epcot WS speaking English? In America and England it's ok, but when in Rome......

Although I suppose, when at WDW we should all be speaking Seminole -- but I digress... :confused3

I myself is a melting pot of race..... who was brought up with 5 laguanges- one of them Spanish and about 4 to 5 dialects... every since we migrated I have this soul question when and how did it all start that when you call an operator the second language is Spanish ( which really makes me regret so much on not keeping up with the laguage when we use to use it at home). And now that there are more race blended into all of us... will it be press 2 for Spanish press 3 for ???. Who decides or which House decides this in the government. I am not good in history ... and been checking the net but cannot find the answer am looking for... help... :guilty:

I am not sure if i know the answer to this but I dont believe it is a written law. Many business orginazations have now realized that spanish is, I believe the second most spoken language in the united states. In order to reach a wider demographic when calling you now have the option of hearing the selections in different languages mainly spanish because as I stated before this is spoken more than the others with the exception of english.

The majority of times you will not hear a selection for any other language besides the english and spanish unless you are calling a select business that targets other demographics or is located in areas that cater to the different race.

ANTSS2001 said:
I myself is a melting pot of race..... who was brought up with 5 laguanges- one of them Spanish and about 4 to 5 dialects... every since we migrated I have this soul question when and how did it all start that when you call an operator the second language is Spanish ( which really makes me regret so much on not keeping up with the laguage when we use to use it at home). And now that there are more race blended into all of us... will it be press 2 for Spanish press 3 for ???. Who decides or which House decides this in the government. I am not good in history ... and been checking the net but cannot find the answer am looking for... help... :guilty:

We got the first Spanish/English phone books when I was a freshman or sophomore in high school 1994/1995? I don't mind others speaking Spanish (well, except my students, because they probably ARE talking about me.) I just wish I could check off "Spanish" "English" or "both" for certain things (like phone books) for no other reason than it wastes paper.

As far as government, I think it's a really interesting question. I think most government agencies have materials available in a variety of languages but have made Spanish more prominent out of necessity. Rather than have workers waste time by having to locate/distribute things in Spanish, they just had the signs out to be more efficient. I guess the phone messages followed suit, as a way to save the customer service agents' time. (This is all theory)

I don't know about the "3" business, but I think it *is* unfair for the person who speaks Japanese or Russian if there aren't *any* services available to them, when so many are available to Spanish speakers. I know at WDW, you can be put through a translation service, who will connect you (and a guest) to someone who can translate *any* language (so they say. I would probably allow additional time for Swahili or Cyrillic.)

On the other hand, I wish I were fluent in another language. Most European citizens are bilingual/trilingual. My boyfriend speaks Polish, a favorite teacher of mine spoke fluent English, French, Spanish, Russian, and some Polish and Latin.

LuluLovesDisney said:
We got the first Spanish/English phone books when I was a freshman or sophomore in high school 1994/1995? I don't mind others speaking Spanish (well, except my students, because they probably ARE talking about me.) I just wish I could check off "Spanish" "English" or "both" for certain things (like phone books) for no other reason than it wastes paper.

As far as government, I think it's a really interesting question. I think most government agencies have materials available in a variety of languages but have made Spanish more prominent out of necessity. Rather than have workers waste time by having to locate/distribute things in Spanish, they just had the signs out to be more efficient. I guess the phone messages followed suit, as a way to save the customer service agents' time. (This is all theory)

I don't know about the "3" business, but I think it *is* unfair for the person who speaks Japanese or Russian if there aren't *any* services available to them, when so many are available to Spanish speakers. I know at WDW, you can be put through a translation service, who will connect you (and a guest) to someone who can translate *any* language (so they say. I would probably allow additional time for Swahili or Cyrillic.)

On the other hand, I wish I were fluent in another language. Most European citizens are bilingual/trilingual. My boyfriend speaks Polish, a favorite teacher of mine spoke fluent English, French, Spanish, Russian, and some Polish and Latin.

great explanation.. thanks

I thought it was pretty cool. I don't write spanish very well, but understand and speak it pretty good. I'm not totally fluent but I work at a Mexican restaurant where a good portion of the employees don't speak english.

cynderella said:
It's called racism, and I'm probably going to be the only one with the courage to say THAT.

Sorry - I was asking why the OP was so bothered - I'm not racist - I speak Spanish and posted on the thread, if you see my earlier post!!!!

Edited to add: OK, sorry, just saw your next post and I realise you weren't talking to me as well - just the way you quoted me and the OP confused me!

Anyway, my fiance lived in Spain for six years and I love that he is fluent in Spanish while I speak a decent amount of that and French - it does seem to be the norm to speak more than one language in European countries, as another poster said - at school I learnt German, French and Spanish, and I also had the option of learning Italian - wish I'd taken that one up :)

I just took advantage of the translator twice. First to translate that thread, which is actually pretty humorous to do. The translator doesn't handle misspelled words very well, so one post was talking about anuses and such. (Which coincidentally also describes the OP of this thread! :rotfl: )

Then I left a message, translated to Spanish by an online translator, basically telling the OP of that thread that it is great that he/she started it in Spanish, and to ignore the OP of this thread bashing the Spanish post.

yaksack said:

It ends now.

THE IRONY.
Coming from someone that posted no valid points, other than the race card.

Everyone that feels like you is free to post in ENGLISH ONLY and skip non English threads.

NOW IT ENDS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter