This is Us- Season four

Just posting to say I'm so excited to find this thread. I just started watching a few months ago and have finally caught up. I'm loving all the in depth thoughts about everything talked about here. It makes me want to go back an watch the entire season again just to read all the perspectives closer to when I watch. It's going to be hard on me to start waiting a week (or more) between each episode. I've been used to watching one each day when I get to come home for lunch (I work close to home). I honestly think I may rewatch the season just because I'm going to miss my (almost) daily fix!

But at the same time, Jack and Rebecca's story is pretty cutesy and they've been teasing that Kevin will find a love story like theirs...

I was thinking more about the last episode yesterday and was wondering if you all thought there was significance to the fact that Sophie's mom never gave the emerald ring to her new fiancee either?

I wonder why Sophie, when Kevin assumed that was her grandmother's ring she was wearing, didn't correct him?

Not looking forward to tonight's episode. The previews make me feel as if Kate's boyfriend's actions were abusive and reckless but that was not the full story. The scene shown leads me to think that his actions meant Kate was then left vulnerable to someone else.

Hope I am totally off base. But then again doesn't really matter because it has been clear that something horrid and impactful, besides Jack's death, has been carried forward in her life.

EDIT: I am only discussing seeing Kate at the side of the road in this post, and where my head went with that vulnerability surrounding her safety in a time sans cellphones.

I do believe that her relationship with her boyfriend is more than enough in isolation to affect her life adversely going forward. Simply want to make that clear. Especially when there are probably people on here that have lived through such relationships.

Last edited:

Not looking forward to tonight's episode. The previews make me feel as if Kate's boyfriend's actions were abusive and reckless but that was not the full story. The scene shown leads me to think that his actions meant Kate was then left vulnerable to someone else.

Hope I am totally off base. But then again doesn't really matter because it has been clear that something horrid and impactful, besides Jack's death, has been carried forward in her life.
Not on tonight. State of the Union is on.

Just posting to say I'm so excited to find this thread. I just started watching a few months ago and have finally caught up. I'm loving all the in depth thoughts about everything talked about here. It makes me want to go back an watch the entire season again just to read all the perspectives closer to when I watch. It's going to be hard on me to start waiting a week (or more) between each episode. I've been used to watching one each day when I get to come home for lunch (I work close to home). I honestly think I may rewatch the season just because I'm going to miss my (almost) daily fix!

Welcome to our little thread :)

I’m sure having an abusive boyfriend carried through to all other relationships. Once you’ve been mentally beaten down by someone, it’s difficult to build yourself back up, and comments about her appearance have been chipping away at Kate since basically the scene at the pool with the mean girls. I think there’s a chance he turns physically abusive, but the physical healing from abuse is easier (not easy, but easier) than the psychological healing.

And Kate has definitely gone on to have more bad relationships (though I don’t think that will be shown next week), when she was waitressing I think there was a reference to her being someone’s side girlfriend but I can’t remember exactly?

It could also be that he kills himself. A lot of abusers will threaten self-harm so that the person they’re abusing has to “prove” something like “Oh if I’m really that awful I’ll kill myself, will that FINALLY MAKE YOU HAPPY?” with the expectation that the other person is like “No I’m sorry, you’re right, I overreacted please don’t do that,” etc. Most don’t follow through with the threat, but I could see it going that way.

When present Kate found the photo, she and Rebecca discussed him almost nostalgically. There weren’t any “so glad he’s not MY problem anymore” type of comments that I would expect if he were still alive. I think he kills himself and Kate thinks it’s her fault and that just compounds her sadness, guilt, and shame from her father’s death.

I’m sure having an abusive boyfriend carried through to all other relationships. Once you’ve been mentally beaten down by someone, it’s difficult to build yourself back up, and comments about her appearance have been chipping away at Kate since basically the scene at the pool with the mean girls. I think there’s a chance he turns physically abusive, but the physical healing from abuse is easier (not easy, but easier) than the psychological healing.

And Kate has definitely gone on to have more bad relationships (though I don’t think that will be shown next week), when she was waitressing I think there was a reference to her being someone’s side girlfriend but I can’t remember exactly?

It could also be that he kills himself. A lot of abusers will threaten self-harm so that the person they’re abusing has to “prove” something like “Oh if I’m really that awful I’ll kill myself, will that FINALLY MAKE YOU HAPPY?” with the expectation that the other person is like “No I’m sorry, you’re right, I overreacted please don’t do that,” etc. Most don’t follow through with the threat, but I could see it going that way.

When present Kate found the photo, she and Rebecca discussed him almost nostalgically. There weren’t any “so glad he’s not MY problem anymore” type of comments that I would expect if he were still alive. I think he kills himself and Kate thinks it’s her fault and that just compounds her sadness, guilt, and shame from her father’s death.

Yeah, there was that weird flashback episode to when Kate was in her 20’s and she was a side girlfriend or something. I barely remember what happened in it or even what season it was. Maybe season 2?

@Melissa55, I never even thought of that, but it makes sense!
Honestly I didn’t really think about it until I was typing my response and then it kind of clicked. It always bugged me how the scene with Kate and Rebecca went. Present day Rebecca underreacts to a lot of things but the tone her comment of like “sorry I didn’t notice” was so casual given the subject matter.

Not on tonight. State of the Union is on.

How could I forget? :laughing:

Even north of the border.

I’m sure having an abusive boyfriend carried through to all other relationships

Absolutely.

I communicated very poorly. I meant seeing her alone at the side of the road, in the preview. That made me nervous that there was an abusive situation beyond her boyfriend, because of her vulnerability.

Regardless that specific relationship on its own in isolation would have lasting effects.

Honestly I didn’t really think about it until I was typing my response and then it kind of clicked.

It is an interesting possibility.

Present day Rebecca underreacts to a lot of things but the tone her comment of like “sorry I didn’t notice” was so casual given the subject matter.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Sadly, it is not uncommon.

I'm a little confused with this episode. When Kate and Rebecca find that picture of Kate and Marc, Rebecca says she didn't realize anything was wrong because she was so busy, but it looks like she was right on top of it. She was leery about Marc, made them meet her for coffee, she told Kate she didn't trust him and now they end the show because Rebecca knows something is wrong and they rush to the cabin.

We also see Rebecca telling Kate about her memory issues and Kate doesn't seem mad that Randal knew first, so something else has to happen to make them not talk to him. I just can't imagine what it could be. I'm wondering if they find something when they are digging up at the cabin that Randall hid from them. We assume it is the memory box, but I wonder if it's something else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter