This is what I love about DVC

Regina

<font color=teal>Maybe I’ll “accidentally” drop a
DD is a junior in college. She called me last week and said that her and a friend would love to go to WDW for their Spring Break. I said no problem, it's not that many points for a studio. She kept saying "how much" and I kept saying "its points, there is no price." :teeth:

This morning I called and got them a BCV studio for a Sunday to Sunday stay. :flower: Their campus is in snow country. I'm sure that they'll be enjoying the FL sunshine. :sunny:

It's always such a treat to be able to do this for our kids. :banana: :banana: :banana:

If any of you are there in early March, just yell "HEY CAITLIN" and watch two heads swivel around. :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Sounds terrific.

When we bought DVC 10 years ago, I was pregnant with my DS. I kept thinking.......

if I can't pay for the wedding, I'll give them a honeymoon!
if they want to go for Spring Break, I can give that to them, as well.

DH is worried that we won't have enough points for DS trips and ours. Nonsense, somehow DVC makes it easy to buy more!

yes, sharing with family is one of the best things about DVC.

I have been sending my brother and family to WDW for years.

they had to stop once DVC quit giving us the free tickets.

but I brought regular tickets for him and his family to go this Sept.

I bring his daughter just about every year.

Wonderful...turning WDW into a spring break destination for college kids. :( Sorry, but while I understand your excitement and glad you could help her out, parents sending their kids unaccompanied to WDW is not something I can get excited about, nor is it something that I hope many people do. Having spent my career around young people of this age, even the best behaved spring breakers are not the neighbors I want on my vacation. Especially since without the room costs, they have more money to spend on liquid libations. Perhaps your DD and friend are non-drinkers, but I would emphasize to them the responsibilities of being considerate and well-behaved.

Doctor P said:
Wonderful...turning WDW into a spring break destination for college kids. :( Sorry, but while I understand your excitement and glad you could help her out, parents sending their kids unaccompanied to WDW is not something I can get excited about, nor is it something that I hope many people do.
I understand your concerns, but I doubt that the usual "spring break crowd" would be very interested in a WDW trip. WDW is very strict about the legal drinking age, thank goodness, and discourages non-family-friendly behavior. I think the typical child-of-a-DVC-family has been there often enough to know that this is not the place to go for wet t-shirt contests or anything of the like -- and even the most ambitious spring-breaker probably wouldn't be able to make it so (I hope!).

When the time comes for my children to attend college, I would much rather provide them with DVC accomodations at WDW over spring break than see them (especially DD) go to Cancun or one of the more typical destinations.

Doctor P -- I must admit I'm actually disgusted by your assumption. Not every kid is a loud-mouthed drunk when their in college. I think the few bad ones make it seem that way, but the bad ones are the ones that go to Daytona and places like that, where they've got a better shot of getting served alcohol.

I spent three spring breaks at Disney while in college -- two when I was under 21 -- all "unsupervised" (whatever that means because you're usually an adult by the time you get to college, being over 18, and on two of the three trips I paid my own way). I never had one drink -- even on the last trip, when I was legal -- and while we were up late, I doubt we ever bothered the neighbors. We did however have a fantastic time -- part of the reason I bought into DVC as soon as I could afford it. I think there are more kids out there like me than you realize.

Doctor P said:
Wonderful...turning WDW into a spring break destination for college kids. :( Sorry, but while I understand your excitement and glad you could help her out, parents sending their kids unaccompanied to WDW is not something I can get excited about, nor is it something that I hope many people do. Having spent my career around young people of this age, even the best behaved spring breakers are not the neighbors I want on my vacation. Especially since without the room costs, they have more money to spend on liquid libations. Perhaps your DD and friend are non-drinkers, but I would emphasize to them the responsibilities of being considerate and well-behaved.

ROFL...I have this picture in my mind now, a video called Girls & Boys Gone Wild at OKW

Yes, Spring Breakers to most of us are "kids" but they are legal adults, and if they want to go to WDW, there is nothing to stop them from getting a cash ressie even if the parents said "No" to using the points.

Honestly, do you think young adults that WANT to go to WDW for Spring Break are likely to be the same kids you see at Padre Island? I doubt it, if they are really into Disney, it just doesn't fit their personality to be rebellious hellions. Besides, I doubt they could be much worse than some families we've seen in adjoining rooms during some of our trips.

I never even thought of that as an issue, Doctor P. I would assume any "kid" (although I guess they aren't kids by that age) who wants to spend their spring break at WDW isn't going because they want to have a "wild time".

Congrats, Reg, and I will be calling out Caitlin the whole week, because we will be there from March 5-10! :wave2:

I would hope you are all right, and I would assume the same things you do, but I learned a long time ago not to assume about any of this stuff. I do hope they have a good trip.

Chuck S said:
ROFL...I have this picture in my mind now, a video called Girls & Boys Gone Wild at OKW

Honestly, do you think young adults that WANT to go to WDW for Spring Break are likely to be the same kids you see at Padre Island? I doubt it, if they are really into Disney, it just doesn't fit their personality to be rebellious hellions. Besides, I doubt they could be much worse than some families we've seen in adjoining rooms during some of our trips.

Yes, I think ALL the wild ones congregate at South Padre Island! I can't believe that the first time we went to HHI for spring break, I was afraid of the type of spring breakers like we see at SPI.
Yes, Disney is way too "stodgey" for them. DS actually got carded several times ordering wine in WS, even though I was with him (and yes, he's well over 21).

Glad to hear they are good about carding. Do they confirm the validity of the ID also? This is a new thing in a lot of hot spots in our area.

DH and I normally go to WDW the 1st week of March because it is college spring break. For a long time we both were still in college (grad school) and now he teaches so we have to go when he does. There are more crowds then the week before or so, but it isn't bad.

I have never noticed typical college spring break behaviors. Last year we were at BCV in the hot tub when there was a small group of girls there too. Their parents had done the same thing, they were thrilled because there is no way they could of afforded it otherwise. They were having a great time. They knew it was totally different then friends at other places, but this was much safer, more fun for them and they still got to enjoy the sunshine.

When I was in college WDW was my type of spring break, not partying on the beach with guys I didn't know and would never see again later.

(Shh...don't tell Doctor P that we've already sent our DS and his girlfriend on an unaccompanied trip to WDW. :scared: )

This is what happens when you take your kids on a bazillion DVC trips over the years. They love it just as much as we do. Caitlin was only 7 when we made our first OKW trip. For two thirds of her life almost every vacation has been a Disney one. I'm thrilled that this is where they want to go rather than one of the usual Spring Break destinations.

Hey Diane, I'll tell the girls that if they hear their name called, they should pull their shirts up instead of waving. :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

We've seen college kids at OKW on spring break before. It was really not much of an issue. As someone else said, if they consider WDW a Spring break trip fun, they are not likely to go crazy.

Regina - I think that is great. I'm sure they will have fun!

Regina--I hope they have fun and warm, sunny weather. In 2003 DD and I went on her college spring break in mid-March and it was perfect--warm and sunny. Last year, it was warm but cloudy and rainy all week. This year she wants to go somewhere else on spring break where there is a better chance of warmth and sun! LOL!

Donna

Aww, this is so cute. I emailed my DD this morning to let her know that I got the BCV. This is part of her response:

"...we're so excited & Cait's eyes were watering when she started talking about it. That pool is so pretty. I can't wait to be a VIP there!"

Then there was the other part where they were asking if the fridge was big enough for the keg. Would any of you happen know if it is? ;) :teeth:

I do hope that they have good weather. It's so frigid where they are that they actually have heated sidewalks to help melt the snow. :cold:

I've never heard anything about college spring breakers, but I have heard some stuff about those infamous cheerleaders! :rotfl2:

Regina -

I'm flumoxed.

I'm so disappointment.

How could you set a precedent like this - you a Webmaster of all people.

Great.

Thanks a lot!

Now my 17 year old dd is gonna thing SHE can go to WDW without me when she gets to college! Waa - I still want to go too!!!

(Just kidding - I hope your dd & her friend have a wonderful time!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter