Thoughts and Thank You's from my first visit to Aulani

PolyDad

Earning My Ears
My first trip to Aulani I used DVC points go get my family of 4 (me and my wife in our 40's and two kiddos ages 6 & 9) a 1 BR Garden View. I also used my DVC points to get my parents (late 70's) a 1 BR Garden View. My sister and her boyfriend (50's) had a cash room ocean view studio. We went January 17-24th

My first thank you goes to "WDRL" for hosting the thread with room views. It was here that I learned if I request a 1 BR room on a high floor ending in 71, 77, or 83 and get it, you will have a partial ocean view. I got 877 and my parents got 883. Our rooms also faced the Ka Wa'a luau garden. We all were super happy with the rooms and views.

My second thank you goes to Pete Werner for the Dream's Aulani review show where he said that the Ka Wa'a luau was excellent and said the Polynesian luau in comparison looked like a 3rd grade production. That remark still makes me laugh. My entire family enjoyed the luau especially my 6 year old daughter. We did VIP. We did not drink enough to make up the difference in price, however, being right up on the stage was worth it for my family. I'd do it again in a minute.

My third thank you goes to Kevin Klose and John Magi for recommending Assaggio's in Kapolei. I'm originally from NY but live in IA. Very hard to find good Italian food here. Our dinner at Assaggio was excellent. When we return to Aulani, we will be going back. Absolutely.

My last thank you goes out to a person who posted about a year ago about a Kyss bag that they use at the pool. I bought one and use it whenever we visit local pools, or the Wisconsin Dells and now at Aulani. The bag gives me peace of mind when I leave something of value on a chair that I leave to go to the ocean or in the pool. Simply lock the bag up and go.

My entire family loved Aulani. We swam in the ocean and/or pool every day and almost every evening. The ocean was chilly to start but you get used to it quickly. Loved the free pool toys and boogie boards you can get. We also got the length of stay mask and snorkel package. I think $43 per person for the entire visit. Great value and can be used at Rainbow Reef too. We went in Rainbow Reef 3 times - loved it.

We did have a cabana by the infinity pool for 3 days. My parents are getting older and they really, really enjoyed this. The cabana is $450 per day. You get a $50 discount with DVC card. I loved it too but it is very pricey and probably wouldn't get it if my parents weren't there. We were always in the water so no need for us. My parents spent a lot of time at the cabana reading the paper, having a cocktail and listening to Hawaiian music via Pandora on the blue tooth speaker provided with the cabana.

We made breakfast every day (except one) in our room. We stopped at Safeway on our way in. Money saver, plus lets the kiddos wake up and lounge around while I cooked and my wife went for a run. We got pizza from Pizza Corner twice - not bad. I liked the garlic twists the best. We ate at Makahiki which was ok, not sure if I go back though. Roy's which we loved but very $$$, the luau (loved), Assaggio (loved), and Monkey Pod (very good). One time we had breakfast at Ama Ama ($$$. We liked it and would return).

We went to free Ukulele lessons at the Pau Hana Room which I loved, did star gazing (you have to pay) which I wouldn't do again and did the free menehune adventure trail (fun!).

We did not explore the island this time as everyone just wanted to swim and relax. I heard that the East side of Oahu is the 'real Hawaii" is from a local, and apparently we would have loved Hanauma Bay too....next time.

I played 9 holes of golf with my son at Ko Olina Golf Course - very nice. We went later in the day when the greens fees drop.

We also took a day trip to Maui for whale watching. We took a small prop plane (Mokeule Airlines) from Oahu (I think 8:30am departure) to Kapalua Airport. You literally wait at a park bench for them to board, walk out on the tarmac and get on the plane!!! Once we landed, a three mile taxi to Kaanapali beach, jumped on the Trilogy whale watch boat (10:30 am departure) right from the beach. Amazing! Whales everywhere! Left Kapalua airport at 4pm back to Oahu.

We cant wait to go back. Aulani is a gorgeous resort with a wonderful staff.

I hope this note wasn't too long and helped answer some questions for someone like me who wanted some thoughts and ideas. I felt I should give something back to these boards, as they have given me so much sage advice for my WDW trips and and now my Aulani trip.

My first trip to Aulani I used DVC points go get my family of 4 (me and my wife in our 40's and two kiddos ages 6 & 9) a 1 BR Garden View. I also used my DVC points to get my parents (late 70's) a 1 BR Garden View. My sister and her boyfriend (50's) had a cash room ocean view studio. We went January 17-24th

My first thank you goes to "WDRL" for hosting the thread with room views. It was here that I learned if I request a 1 BR room on a high floor ending in 71, 77, or 83 and get it, you will have a partial ocean view. I got 877 and my parents got 883. Our rooms also faced the Ka Wa'a luau garden. We all were super happy with the rooms and views.

My second thank you goes to Pete Werner for the Dream's Aulani review show where he said that the Ka Wa'a luau was excellent and said the Polynesian luau in comparison looked like a 3rd grade production. That remark still makes me laugh. My entire family enjoyed the luau especially my 6 year old daughter. We did VIP. We did not drink enough to make up the difference in price, however, being right up on the stage was worth it for my family. I'd do it again in a minute.

My third thank you goes to Kevin Klose and John Magi for recommending Assaggio's in Kapolei. I'm originally from NY but live in IA. Very hard to find good Italian food here. Our dinner at Assaggio was excellent. When we return to Aulani, we will be going back. Absolutely.

My last thank you goes out to a person who posted about a year ago about a Kyss bag that they use at the pool. I bought one and use it whenever we visit local pools, or the Wisconsin Dells and now at Aulani. The bag gives me peace of mind when I leave something of value on a chair that I leave to go to the ocean or in the pool. Simply lock the bag up and go.

My entire family loved Aulani. We swam in the ocean and/or pool every day and almost every evening. The ocean was chilly to start but you get used to it quickly. Loved the free pool toys and boogie boards you can get. We also got the length of stay mask and snorkel package. I think $43 per person for the entire visit. Great value and can be used at Rainbow Reef too. We went in Rainbow Reef 3 times - loved it.

We did have a cabana by the infinity pool for 3 days. My parents are getting older and they really, really enjoyed this. The cabana is $450 per day. You get a $50 discount with DVC card. I loved it too but it is very pricey and probably wouldn't get it if my parents weren't there. We were always in the water so no need for us. My parents spent a lot of time at the cabana reading the paper, having a cocktail and listening to Hawaiian music via Pandora on the blue tooth speaker provided with the cabana.

We made breakfast every day (except one) in our room. We stopped at Safeway on our way in. Money saver, plus lets the kiddos wake up and lounge around while I cooked and my wife went for a run. We got pizza from Pizza Corner twice - not bad. I liked the garlic twists the best. We ate at Makahiki which was ok, not sure if I go back though. Roy's which we loved but very $$$, the luau (loved), Assaggio (loved), and Monkey Pod (very good). One time we had breakfast at Ama Ama ($$$. We liked it and would return).

We went to free Ukulele lessons at the Pau Hana Room which I loved, did star gazing (you have to pay) which I wouldn't do again and did the free menehune adventure trail (fun!).

We did not explore the island this time as everyone just wanted to swim and relax. I heard that the East side of Oahu is the 'real Hawaii" is from a local, and apparently we would have loved Hanauma Bay too....next time.

I played 9 holes of golf with my son at Ko Olina Golf Course - very nice. We went later in the day when the greens fees drop.

We also took a day trip to Maui for whale watching. We took a small prop plane (Mokeule Airlines) from Oahu (I think 8:30am departure) to Kapalua Airport. You literally wait at a park bench for them to board, walk out on the tarmac and get on the plane!!! Once we landed, a three mile taxi to Kaanapali beach, jumped on the Trilogy whale watch boat (10:30 am departure) right from the beach. Amazing! Whales everywhere! Left Kapalua airport at 4pm back to Oahu.

We cant wait to go back. Aulani is a gorgeous resort with a wonderful staff.

I hope this note wasn't too long and helped answer some questions for someone like me who wanted some thoughts and ideas. I felt I should give something back to these boards, as they have given me so much sage advice for my WDW trips and and now my Aulani trip.
Thanks for your wonderful trip report,one of the few Dvc resorts I have not been to since joining in 1998 .It is a long way from Ireland and found it hard to justify just for the sun when it wrinkles my old skin further.
I think rock and roller coaster and the runaway train has spoiled me for no park breaks.I don’t swim any distance but I know my daughter would love it.
She learned to scuba dive at Vera Beach in the pool under instruction and has now dived on the great barrier reef in AUSTRALIA (rented dvc points and went cash)

Great report! Thanks for sharing. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

We didn't make it to Asaggio, but we did go to Anna Miller's on John & Kevin's recommendation and we loved it too! I always jot down their recommendations, because they are always on point.

I know I was definitely one who posted about the Kyss bag, and I think others have as well. I love it too. There are similar pool safe contraptions out there, but being able to lock and secure the bag itself is so much more convenient!

The windward side ("east side") has far superior beaches to the leeward side where Aulani is, in my opinion. Powder white sand, warm blue water. Reminded me of the Caribbean or the Gulf. Kailua is a great little town on that side, and I know John & Kevin love it there as well. We visited Kailua and the beaches there after a morning at Kualoa Ranch which is just a little bit north of there. Definitely worth the visit next time!

Glad you loved Aulani. We are headed back for trip #5 for spring break. Have always gone in June so curious as to how weather will compare.

We are looking to go June 2021, what is the weather usually like?
Beautiful! 4 times in early/mid June with stays between 10-13 days and only had rain one day. Ocean & pool water are both chilly for us but we are use to Florida water. Crowds have never seemed that bad and always found chairs eventually for party of 3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter