To Buy 2042 or not to buy 2042

I have some 2042 points and some non-2042 points. I know the 2042 points will be "worthless" in 2042, but so is every other "vacation" I purchase between now and then.

My non-2042 points should sustain me in retirement with a little less dues to match my smaller income. Planned DVC downsizing.

I'm not quite sure yet if I'll end up retiring early or work until I'm in my 70s. That's about 10 years of unknown. But I still anticpate going to Disney.

I strongly advocate to buy where you love to stay, regardless of cost or contract end. Your vacationing styles and needs change often, and who knows where you’ll be in 5 years from now let alone 20+ years from now!

I bought at BCV because that’s where I want to stay most all of the time. When I’m there, I feel a million percent confident I made the right decision. I enjoy it there and love owning there. I live for today & now, and who knows..may sell in a year or two, or keep it until 2042. Doesn’t matter, I’m content with my home resort, contract expiration and benefits. I spent my money on what’s important to me today, not guessing my situation 25+ years from now

I strongly advocate to buy where you love to stay, regardless of cost or contract end. Your vacationing styles and needs change often, and who knows where you’ll be in 5 years from now let alone 20+ years from now!

I bought at BCV because that’s where I want to stay most all of the time. When I’m there, I feel a million percent confident I made the right decision. I enjoy it there and love owning there. I live for today & now, and who knows..may sell in a year or two, or keep it until 2042. Doesn’t matter, I’m content with my home resort, contract expiration and benefits. I spent my money on what’s important to me today, not guessing my situation 25+ years from now
Agree! BCV is where my kids have the most fun. In prior trips, I was always able to book there at the 7-month mark (with a little help from walking my reservation). But walking was stressful and often required me to shift our vacation schedule to fit what was available. We bought a few months ago with the mindset that even though it will be worth $0 in 19 years, that is still a long time away! If we still love Disney and DVC like we do when 2042 comes, we can always buy in again, perhaps with a mentality of setting up the contracts so that they can be split amongst the children easily. Or if we are done with Disney, we walk away.

i know that the refurb is impacting availability, but we always have trouble getting 1 BR boardwalk view. still don't know if it's worth it to buy a 2042 resort just for the view
If it doesn't mean that much to you, then possibly there isn't value in it for you. There are newer resorts with great views, that are a better financial value, and maybe luck will be on your side occasionally at 7 mths.

For myself, I love the Boardwalk View (hate paying the same points for pool/garden view) and the Standard View equally and for different reasons . My main value in owning Boardwalk is the location and the amenities on the BW. I love being able to walk back to my resort after park closing, when others are standing in line for busses, skyliner, boats. Standing in line for a bus with a sleeping toddler in my arms was always the worst for me. When the kids were little we usually finished our day at Epcot for the food mainly. When I "discovered" BWV I knew I wanted to stay there. I also knew I'd never fork over the cash to stay there. I'm considering a small direct add on (I know, crazy) because it's so hard to find small contracts resale, and now that I'm retired I'd like to extend my stay.

Value isn't always financial. Only you can decide what it means to you.

Agree! BCV is where my kids have the most fun. In prior trips, I was always able to book there at the 7-month mark (with a little help from walking my reservation). But walking was stressful and often required me to shift our vacation schedule to fit what was available. We bought a few months ago with the mindset that even though it will be worth $0 in 19 years, that is still a long time away! If we still love Disney and DVC like we do when 2042 comes, we can always buy in again, perhaps with a mentality of setting up the contracts so that they can be split amongst the children easily. Or if we are done with Disney, we walk away.
Agree with your agreement! 2042 is still a long way off, and we're looking to enjoy many years of memories and fun at BCV. That alone is worth it. And one thing that is very predictable with Disney - they are unpredictable. So who knows what happens as 2042 gets closer.

I own BCV and was well aware of the 2042 issue. The fact is I wanted to stay either there or Boardwalk and it's almost impossible to find decent availability at the 7 month window there. I'm happy we did it.

That being said if I didn't have as strong of a preference I would have bought SSR for the price/expiration date.

Well said! Agree 100%!:thumbsup2 And TBH 18 yrs is still a very long time. If we all think back 18 yrs ago....how much things have changed? Did we all predict exactly where we would be now 18 yrs ago? Probably not....
Similar reason why we bought BRV. I am actually very glad BRV isn't as popular right now as some others, so less people have been looking for BRV contracts and there was less competition for us! haha

Well said! Agree 100%!:thumbsup2 And TBH 18 yrs is still a very long time. If we all think back 18 yrs ago....how much things have changed? Did we all predict exactly where we would be now 18 yrs ago? Probably not....
Similar reason why we bought BRV. I am actually very glad BRV isn't as popular right now as some others, so less people have been looking for BRV contracts and there was less competition for us! haha
Exactly!!! The very first time I walked into my home resort I wanted to be there all the time. The first pool day at Stormalong bay sealed the deal. But getting what we wanted there (owned at BLT) was almost impossible every time. BLT was bought sight unseen due to my love of the Contemporary.. first trip there was our last. Been wishing to own at BCV forever, and finally just did it. Best decision ever!! I can tell you honestly I’ve not thought of the contract expiration one single time. It simply means nothing to me. I bought DVC to vacation at Disney in a way that suits my style, not an investment. By financial standards, I’m sure other resorts make more sense, but simply doesn’t matter to me in the slightest. 🥰 BRV is beautiful!!! Enjoy your home 👍🏻

Do not buy 2042 resort. You are too young and20 uears goes quick. Buy either SSR for the price resale or CCV for the extended years, reasonable point chart and ability to trade into legacy resorts.

Hey, Wyndham Bonnet Creek has no expiration - it is perpetual forever. Could argue that is a better "value" than anything in DVC. But most people don't argue that because we know that there are a lot of factors that play into which resort we buy. Walkability to two Disney theme parks is really hard to beat.

Exactly!!! The very first time I walked into my home resort I wanted to be there all the time. The first pool day at Stormalong bay sealed the deal. But getting what we wanted there (owned at BLT) was almost impossible every time. BLT was bought sight unseen due to my love of the Contemporary.. first trip there was our last. Been wishing to own at BCV forever, and finally just did it. Best decision ever!! I can tell you honestly I’ve not thought of the contract expiration one single time. It simply means nothing to me. I bought DVC to vacation at Disney in a way that suits my style, not an investment. By financial standards, I’m sure other resorts make more sense, but simply doesn’t matter to me in the slightest. 🥰 BRV is beautiful!!! Enjoy your home 👍🏻
I'm lurking around for a BLT add-on!! It's not the first time I hear "we own BLT but never stay there". We want to stay at BLT only for the days we go to MK, especially if the extended evening continues. Last trip, at 130am while we were on the boat heading to TTC, BLT never looked more attractive!! LOL! So my DH was like....I think we should do split stay at BLT in the future for our MK days 😅 I have debated buying whatever it's the cheapest add-on, since we prefer 1-bdrm anyway, and availability isn't bad at 7-month. But, I also believe in buy where you want to stay, so I'm back to stalking and waiting for the right BLT contract!

I so prefer the Grand Floridian, but the points chart at BLT makes it hard not to be called to BLT, plus being closer to the MK and being able to walk there so easily.

Hey, Wyndham Bonnet Creek has no expiration - it is perpetual forever. Could argue that is a better "value" than anything in DVC. But most people don't argue that because we know that there are a lot of factors that play into which resort we buy. Walkability to two Disney theme parks is really hard to beat.
My dad owns Wyndham BC and we loooooove staying there! He offered his contracts to us which we declined. The never ending dues was not something I felt comfortable with. I will say that we don’t mind anything about BC, and would stay there every trip if we weren’t DVC.
I'm lurking around for a BLT add-on!! It's not the first time I hear "we own BLT but never stay there". We want to stay at BLT only for the days we go to MK, especially if the extended evening continues. Last trip, at 130am while we were on the boat heading to TTC, BLT never looked more attractive!! LOL! So my DH was like....I think we should do split stay at BLT in the future for our MK days 😅 I have debated buying whatever it's the cheapest add-on, since we prefer 1-bdrm anyway, and availability isn't bad at 7-month. But, I also believe in buy where you want to stay, so I'm back to stalking and waiting for the right BLT contract!
Yeah BLTs location can’t be beat if it’s a MK day. Good news is that now is the time to get the deal of a lifetime of you see one that you fancy. I bought at VB to use at 7mos for our BCV 2br or the random days that pop up @ GCV or BWV, so I totally get being on both sides of that opinion. But we also love OKW (had 3 contracts there over the years) & SSR which VB points work perfect for. Good luck finding your BLT unicorn 🦄

My dad owns Wyndham BC and we loooooove staying there! He offered his contracts to us which we declined. The never ending dues was not something I felt comfortable with. I will say that we don’t mind anything about BC, and would stay there every trip if we weren’t DVC.

Yeah BLTs location can’t be beat if it’s a MK day. Good news is that now is the time to get the deal of a lifetime of you see one that you fancy. I bought at VB to use at 7mos for our BCV 2br or the random days that pop up @ GCV or BWV, so I totally get being on both sides of that opinion. But we also love OKW (had 3 contracts there over the years) & SSR which VB points work perfect for. Good luck finding your BLT unicorn 🦄
Thank you! We have family members own Wyndham and we have stayed at Bonnet Creek quite a few times. I do love the location of that resort, but couple years ago we realized we don't enjoy our non-park/rest days there, and that's when I really started looking into DVC. Another plus about BC is definitely their points chart. We can book a 1-bedroom there for full 2 weeks in the lower seasons, it's crazy! Our last stay couple months ago, they upgraded us from the regular 1-bedroom to the presidential suite! I gotta say...I don't know if I can go back to the regular 1-bedroom anymore! 😂 I would pack up another suitcase and just move in! LOL

I reread your post and I think you are considering 2042 resorts for the better deal. It is not a good deal netween the years left and maintenance fees. Best value is SSR and AKV or OKW extended. Best value newer resort is ccv. Also since you are only in your 30s your too young to consider the 2042 resorts. Twenty years goes by in the blink of an eye.

I reread your post and I think you are considering 2042 resorts for the better deal. It is not a good deal netween the years left and maintenance fees. Best value is SSR and AKV or OKW extended. Best value newer resort is ccv. Also since you are only in your 30s you’re too young to consider the 2042 resorts. Twenty years goes by in the blink of an eye.
I don’t think this way at all, but depends on ones personal priorities. Yes 20 years go by in the blink of an eye, but during that blink, life changes drastically week by week. I personally don’t find it wise to make a luxury pre/paid vacation purchase based on a financial investment.

Yes DVC has done way better than most other timeshares as far as an investment, but it’s actually prepaying vacations for less. In that line of thinking, in my personal opinion, buy where you love vacationing today, don’t try to predict the future and base such a purchase on assumed future value. Enjoy your vacations in a home resort you look forward to staying at most of the time.

There's other ways to do this, like in a trust. Maybe worth bringing up when you are doing your estate planning.

I don’t think this way at all, but depends on ones personal priorities. Yes 20 years go by in the blink of an eye, but during that blink, life changes drastically week by week. I personally don’t find it wise to make a luxury pre/paid vacation purchase based on a financial investment.

Yes DVC has done way better than most other timeshares as far as an investment, but it’s actually prepaying vacations for less. In that line of thinking, in my personal opinion, buy where you love vacationing today, don’t try to predict the future and base such a purchase on assumed future value. Enjoy your vacations in a home resort you look forward to staying at most of the time.
I think you and I are very in line on this topic. I always see this as prepaid vacation in deluxe accommodation for a way lower cost than rack rates. We aren't buying groceries for just a week, buy what's on sale. It's vacation for years to come! Sorry but I can't buy SSR even if it's $50 per point. We don't love that resort, not our vibe. I don't wanna get "stuck" w/ SSR at 7 months if I can't get the resort I love. Then I have to spend my whole vacation wishing I was staying elsewhere. Nope...no thank you, so not worth it to me.

I think you and I are very in line on this topic. I always see this as prepaid vacation in deluxe accommodation for a way lower cost than rack rates. We aren't buying groceries for just a week, buy what's on sale. It's vacation for years to come! Sorry but I can't buy SSR even if it's $50 per point. We don't love that resort, not our vibe. I don't wanna get "stuck" w/ SSR at 7 months if I can't get the resort I love. Then I have to spend my whole vacation wishing I was staying elsewhere. Nope...no thank you, so not worth it to me.

Personally, I'm glad a lot of folks don't care for SSR. That leaves more good deals for me! BTW-hit me up if you find any $50 point deals, I'll take them all.

Personally, I'm glad a lot of folks don't care for SSR. That leaves more good deals for me! BTW-hit me up if you find any $50 point deals, I'll take them all.
:rotfl2: :rotfl2:
Actually I think a lot of people fell in love with SSR after their refurb! Don't get me wrong, the villas are nice and there are certain things my husband and I like about SSR, but overall, just not our vibe. That's the great thing about DVC, there are something different for everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter