To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Omg-you two are killing me! I'm gonna need you to make one of those with a tiger Billy!

LOL! A "Mike the Tiger" Billy? To be fair, I didn't draw the Lord Badger. I found it online. I'm not even close to that talented. But here's another find:

golemoid_by_jasonengle-d6zwsn0.jpg

1618187-tiger_man_ii.jpg

I knew there was something about that unicorn pic but you nailed it @roxymama! And I love Lord Badger of the Cheeselands! Maybe you can warg into that unicorn on race day @DopeyBadger!

LOL! Never heard of the word "warg" before. Had to look that up. Now that would certainly be an interesting feat to perceive the world through the senses of a unicorn. I'd be sure to crush that sub-3 then. Might break a few rules too though. Quick glance through the USATF rules doesn't mention "warging" as illegal though...:scratchin

81625a48f77427cb492b5a0d077fa9b5.jpg

LOL! A "Mike the Tiger" Billy? To be fair, I didn't draw the Lord Badger. I found it online. I'm not even close to that talented. But here's another find:

golemoid_by_jasonengle-d6zwsn0.jpg

This is AMAZING!!! :worship:

LOL! Never heard of the word "warg" before. Had to look that up. Now that would certainly be an interesting feat to perceive the world through the senses of a unicorn. I'd be sure to crush that sub-3 then. Might break a few rules too though. Quick glance through the USATF rules doesn't mention "warging" as illegal though...:scratchin

81625a48f77427cb492b5a0d077fa9b5.jpg

Well, unicorn warging or no--I feel like you are going to make that sub 3 goal and I'm just so excited for you!
And hey, maybe this is your "spirit" costume for your race?!? I believe the other runners might be thrown off by such an original race day costume! :wizard:

Well, unicorn warging or no--I feel like you are going to make that sub 3 goal and I'm just so excited for you!

It'll be close and I'll certainly need some luck too.

And hey, maybe this is your "spirit" costume for your race?!? I believe the other runners might be thrown off by such an original race day costume! :wizard:

Now that would be a race outfit for sure!

I've tried some of the beet juice supplements when they've come in my Stridebox and I can't get over the taste :crazy2:. I'll be curious if the benefits make it worth it.

41 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)

rainbow-sparkles-jpg.246978

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace)

8/8/17 - T - 2 mile WU + 8x800 @ CV w/ 45 sec RI @ WU + 4 x 200m @ R w/ 200m RI + 2 mile CD (12/12)
8/9/17 - W - 6 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
8/10/17 - R - 2 miles WU + 8 miles M Tempo + 2 miles CD (8/8)
8/11/17 - F - 6 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
8/12/17 - Sat - 6 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
8/13/17 - Sun - 12 miles @ 7:35 min/mile (11/11)
8/14/17 - M - OFF

Total (training) mileage = 51.5 miles
Number of SOS intervals within pace = 31/31 (100%)

Monday was an off day from work. It was spent doing our normal shopping requirements.

Tuesday was a return to CV and Mile pacing!

2 mile WU + 8x800 @ CV w/ 45 sec RI @ WU + 4 x 200m @ R w/ 200m RI + 2 mile CD

CV Pace = 6:23 min/mile (2% less than Lactate Threshold)
CV Window = +/- 3 seconds (3:08.5-3:14.5)

Mile Pace = 5:28 min/mile (41 sec 200m)
Mile Window = +/- 1 sec (40-42 sec)

My legs were feeling relatively good coming into the run. After the last hard run last week Friday, followed by easy, easy, off, I felt as if I was turning a corner again.

T+D of 136 with mostly cloudy skies.

CV Pace = 3:08.7, 3:13, 3:10, 3:09, 3:10, 3:11, 3:10, 3:11

Solid CV pacing all around. 8/8 intervals hit. Some needed to be pushed at the end to get to pace. Some needed to be slowed way down to get to pace. Sometimes it felt easy. Sometimes it felt difficult. But overall, it was a great run!

Mile Pace = 39.5, 39.6, 39.5, 39.0

These were suppose to be at 41 seconds. But if I'm being honest, this was the correct pace. It felt comfortable and I felt fast. Done and done!

Wednesday was an easy run. A T+D of 149, cloudy, and a serious downpour on the tail end of the run. Average pace was an 8:54 min/mile and HR of 130 (which is a tad higher than recent runs). I was super sore and stiff throughout.

Thursday was a step back M Tempo workout.

2 mile WU + 8 mile M Tempo + 2 mile CD

I was relatively sore and stiff during the WU so I wasn't quite sure what my body was going to give me.

M Tempo = 6:58 min/mile
M Tempo window = +/- 10 seconds (6:48-7:08)

The T+D was 135, cloudy, but with 16-20 mph winds. The wind made today's run just a touch more difficult as it seemed to be a headwind in three directions.

M Tempo = 7:05, 6:55, 6:57, 6:58, 7:01, 6:54, 7:05, 6:59

The first mile definitely felt difficult. I was able to bring myself back in line for most of the run though. Felt a touch more difficult than a couple weeks back. Hoping this recovery week will help push the reset for the last few weeks. All in all, another 8/8 (100%) hit rate! Average pace was a 6:59 min/mile and average HR of 153. The HR is just outside the marathon historic of 149-152.

I'm certainly making a habit of hitting these M Tempo paces. I've done 9 different runs with M Tempo pacing (some sustained and some fast finish). Of those 9, I have a perfect hit rate on 5 of those (and a streak of the last 4 in a row). In addition, 8/9 runs had an average pace 6:55-7:03. The average pace for all the runs together is 7:01. The current projection for marathon day is 2:58:26-3:04:42. Not much time left!

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 7.49.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 7.49.35 PM.png

On Friday, I woke up with a little sore/throat sniffles. It felt like it was on the fringe of getting sick. I just tried to stay positive and hope for the best. Friday was an easy run. A T+D of 131 and cloudy, Average pace was an 8:57 min/mile and HR of 125. Super stiff and sore again

Saturday was an early morning easy run (Steph had to get to work). Thankfully, I didn't have any more sickness feelings and felt relieved. A T+D of 125 with mostly sunny skies. Average pace of an 8:35 min/mile and HR of 128. Another stiff and sore morning. I wasn't able to get up to a very fast speed during the strides.

Sunday was a long run day. I woke up to no bagels (boo!) So I had no pre-run real breakfast, but I did eat a gel about 15 minutes prior to starting. I felt incredibly stiff during the warmup.

Long Run = 7:35 min/mile
Long Run Window = +/- 10 sec (7:25-7:45)

The run went fine. I never really felt normal during the run. It always felt stiff and sore. Real tight throughout. I think this might be occurring because of the recovery week. I know during my taper I usually start to feel sick (like Friday) and feel really stiff and RPE increases on runs (like most runs this week). It's because my body is focusing on recovery instead of crushing the run. I'm not terribly concerned, but next week will be interesting. However, around mile 10-11 I had a feeling of slight pain in my left shin. Similar to what happened right before the 2016 Lakefront Marathon. Possibly the beginning of shin splints like last time? But it doesn't really make sense since I've done a much better job of training less, training with more mileage oscillation for bone recovery, etc. I'm hopeful that it's just mental, and it was just slight. Regardless, I was able to hit 11/11 of the intervals.

So that makes it 12/12 on Tuesday's CV, 8/8 on Thursday's M Tempo, and 11/11 on Sunday's LR. That's a PERFECTION WEEK! Dare I say, that's as rare as a unicorn! :cool2:

I've tried some of the beet juice supplements when they've come in my Stridebox and I can't get over the taste :crazy2:. I'll be curious if the benefits make it worth it.

I'll be interested to see as well. If it gives me an extra 1-2%, then I guess I'm willing to tolerate it. *Saying this before I taste it....

Wow, what a week! Glad you got that unicorn : ) Sorry to hear that you weren't feeling super well on Friday, but good for you for knuckling it out. I'm wondering if your shin pain on Sunday was a remnant of whatever was ailing you on Friday. Could be your body just saying that it's tired right now. I am sure you'll keep an eye on it to keep it from becoming something uncomfortable. Good luck!

Wow, what a week! Glad you got that unicorn : )

Thanks! Nice to nail a 100% week!

Sorry to hear that you weren't feeling super well on Friday, but good for you for knuckling it out.

Thankfully, just minor and over and done with quick.

I'm wondering if your shin pain on Sunday was a remnant of whatever was ailing you on Friday. Could be your body just saying that it's tired right now. I am sure you'll keep an eye on it to keep it from becoming something uncomfortable. Good luck!

My first guess is it's mental and I'm entering taper madness way too early. I'm really looking forward to this race and maybe I'm just being hyper aware of things. But I'm certainly trying to be mindful of this.

Race Season is upon us! You know how I know... Here are the current training plans lapsing in the next few months:

9/3/17 - 6 plans
9/10/17 - 4 plans
9/17/17 - 4 plans
9/24/17 - 3 plans
10/1/17 - 1 plan (ME!)
10/8/17 - 2 plans
10/15/17 - 5 plans
10/29/17 - 3 plans
11/5/17 - 2 plans
11/11/17 - 2 plans
12/9/17 - 1 plan
1/7/18 - 2 plans

Best of luck everyone!

That is impressive. I think you keep up with all of us. I need to send an update. It's been a busy few weeks and every time I think about it I am too tired. I am super glad it's my slower week. Keep up the good work everyone.

34 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)

rainbow-sparkles-jpg.246978

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace)

8/8/17 - T - 2 mile WU + 6 x 1 mile @ HM Tempo w/ .25 mi RI @ WU + 2 mile CD (6/6)
8/9/17 - W - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
8/10/17 - R - 3 miles WU + 10 miles M Tempo + 3 miles CD (10/10)
8/11/17 - F - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
8/12/17 - Sat - 19 miles @ 7:35 min/mile (16/18)
8/13/17 - Sun - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
8/14/17 - M - OFF

Total (training) mileage = 66.6 miles
Number of SOS intervals within pace = 32/34 (94%)

Tuesday was another HM Tempo day.

2 mile WU + 6 x 1 mile @ HM Tempo w/ .25 mi RI @ WU + 2 mile CD

T+D of 120 and clouds.

HM Tempo = 6:41 min/mile
HM Tempo window = +/- 10 seconds

I was trying to be cautious with this run. I wasn't sure what was up with my legs. A little more tired and sore than normal. But the very slight pain in my left shin was concerning. Was the issues I had during the 2016 Lakefront Marathon returning? I wanted to try a few of the splits at 0 elevation gain and then if things were feeling fine, I'd add back in the hills. My thought process was maybe my shins were taking a beating on the faster paced runs going downhill. Minimize pace on downhill running and maybe things would feel better.

HM Tempo = 6:40, 6:41, 6:47, 6:47, 6:41, 6:43

The first two HM Tempos felt strong. Evenly paced throughout. I decided to give the hill a chance for the next two. The pace was still good. There were points during this run where I thought this pace was sustainable. Then, after successfully completing the first 4 intervals without any shin issues, I wrapped the last two on the flat course (not willing to risk it). Solid run overall! 6/6 intervals hit and the HR average was fairly low for a HM Tempo run. I was awarded a new VO2max (since changing my input data) of 58. This felt like an appropriate improvement since the run felt pretty good overall.

On Wednesday though I was sore and stiff again. A T+D of 126 with clouds. Average pace of 9:12 min/mile with a 123 HR average.

Thursday

1884 days down and 38 to go!

3 mile WU + 10 mile M Tempo + 3 mile CD

T+D of 114 (beautiful!) with sunny skies and 8mph wind.

M Tempo = 6:58 min/mile
M Tempo Window = +/- 10 seconds (6:48-7:08)

I tried the Beet Shot for the first time to gauge it's use. I'll follow a dose loading procedure over the next couple of days. Wasn't sure what my body would give me on this max marathon tempo run, but I was willing it give it a go.

M Tempo = 7:01, 7:03, 7:03, 7:04, 7:01, 7:07, 7:03, 6:59, 7:02, 6:59

The good is that I hit all 10 intervals. Honestly, since I've been tracking I'm not sure if I've ever hit a max M Tempo run 100%. I also felt relatively comfortable at the pace. The bad is that I felt comfortable, but was unable to pick up the pace whatsoever. My body locked in to 7:02 and wasn't willing to get down to 6:58. Not a terrible thing, just still missing that "it" feeling. It comes and goes and right now I'm sitting in a "goes" pattern. But what matters is whether "it" is there on race day. The other bad is my "running nose" has returned. Maybe it's connected to the temps, or my stoppage of mouth wash use. But right now my nose runs like crazy whenever I go faster. It's super annoying to have to try and clear my nose every 30-45 seconds.

Final average pace was 7:02 and the average HR was a 149. That's the lowest HR yet and on the low end for marathon tempo historical (148-152). Speaks to the feeling I had. I felt comfortable (hence low HR) but couldn't go faster (hence sore/stiff legs). Current projections sit at 2:59-3:04. The average of the last 5 M Tempo has been 100% hit rate and 6:58 min/mile. So looks like I'm still right on track in the big picture.

Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 7.26.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 7.26.50 PM.png

Not looking forward to Sunday's 19 mile (150 min) run because rain is predicted from 2am to 10pm... Crossing my fingers for a break in the rain.

Friday was a T+D of 119 and cloudy. Average pace of 9:14 min/mile and HR of 123. I literally had no desire to run faster. Because of the oncoming rain, I was seriously considering running the 19 mile long run on Saturday instead of Sunday. So, I decided if that were to happen then I'd hope today would be super slow.

Saturday

1886 days down and 36 to go!

Another near max LR today. This was scheduled to be on Sunday morning, but the forecast looks gloom. It was a two side of the coin decision today. Either run the long run on 24 hour reduced rest (36 hrs instead of 60 hrs) or run for 2.5 hrs in the driving rain. I wasn't terribly happy with either of these options. My last 19 miler two few weeks ago was in the driving rain and wasn't pleasant. So, I decided to go with the reduced rest today. To compensate, I agreed to myself that I would not under any circumstances push the pace. I'd just settle in to what felt good and just hold it. Whatever happens, happens...

Long Run Pace = 7:35 min/mile (although I aimed for 7:40 today)
Long Run Window = +/- 10 seconds (7:25-7:45)

Today was also the end of the Beet Juice trial. I took 2 shots (800mg Nitrates) about 90 minutes before starting the run this morning. In addition, I had my normal pre-long run breakfast of PB+Honey Bagel, Banana, and 16 oz water. Thankfully, it felt as if the Beet Juice and the pre-run breakfast meshed well. T+D of 114, clouds, and no wind.

Long Run Pace - 7:39, 7:42, 7:40, 7:43, 7:41, 7:44, 7:37, 7:40, 7:39, 7:43, 7:28, 7:41, 7:42, 7:41, 7:29, 7:43, 7:49, 8:02

Overall the run felt fine. My knee was a little sore coming into the run (because of wearing Kinvaras on Thursday for the 16 miler), but thankfully everything seemed fine with it. The pace felt comfortable and I was content just enjoying it. I took an E-Gel at mile 7 and 15. I also setup the aid station so that I could run by without stopping (race simulation). Happy with how it went. I was definitely fading at the end (7:49 and 8:02), but I had no desire to pickup the pace and hit the intervals. The GAP shows a 7:29 for that second to last mile anyways. Perfectly happy coasting into the finish line today.

3.1 mile loop today without stopping - 23:59, 23:56, 23:57

I'd say that's pretty darn consistent!

Sunday was a T+D of 123, clouds, and not much of any rain... So much for that forecast of rain throughout the entire day. Quite the opposite as the rain ended at 7:30am and never really materialized again. That was an effortless run. If I had raced any distance today I would have PR'd for sure. Either the Beet Juice, sleeping 10 hrs, or entering a new peak period. But that felt really nice! An average pace of 8:28 min/mile with a HR of 127.

Now dropping back into another recovery week before the home stretch! Only 3 max M Tempos and 2 true long runs left. Almost time for that victory lap!

Then, after successfully completing the first 4 intervals without any shin issues, I wrapped the last two on the flat course (not willing to risk it)

Smart approach, and glad you had a good, comfortable run here.

But right now my nose runs like crazy whenever I go faster.

That's so interesting. I still wonder if your leg soreness and your runny nose are connected to just general fatigue and your body telling you to take it easy. From the sounds of things, you're listening where appropriate and making smart decisions about altering vs pushing - you've definitely got your eye on the right prize.

I also setup the aid station so that I could run by without stopping (race simulation). Happy with how it went

Glad the station actually stayed there instead of becoming a fun game for kids again!

Smart approach, and glad you had a good, comfortable run here.

That's so interesting. I still wonder if your leg soreness and your runny nose are connected to just general fatigue and your body telling you to take it easy. From the sounds of things, you're listening where appropriate and making smart decisions about altering vs pushing - you've definitely got your eye on the right prize.

Glad the station actually stayed there instead of becoming a fun game for kids again!

Thanks!

The runny nose has been an off and on issue for about a year now. Not sure if a change in diet has caused an increase in mucus production. It was really bad last winter/spring, but this summer was mostly nonexistent. It's been coming back again though.

Always happy to see my water bottles still there when I round the corner.

It's getting so close now!! Training seems to be going really great too. Hopefully the tired and sore legs are just because you've been training so hard and you are coming to the end of things. Great job on hitting your training intervals.

Thanks!

The runny nose has been an off and on issue for about a year now. Not sure if a change in diet has caused an increase in mucus production. It was really bad last winter/spring, but this summer was mostly nonexistent. It's been coming back again though.
This could be an allergy, or a reaction to auto exhaust. I've had the same problem for most my life lol. I love your Monday post, the help with Monday blues lol! I feel like I'm learning even more from your current training cycle, keep up the great work

It's getting so close now!! Training seems to be going really great too. Hopefully the tired and sore legs are just because you've been training so hard and you are coming to the end of things. Great job on hitting your training intervals.

Thanks! One of the best training cycles ever thus far. Just trying to find that right balance between enough fatigue and not to much.

This could be an allergy, or a reaction to auto exhaust. I've had the same problem for most my life lol. I love your Monday post, the help with Monday blues lol! I feel like I'm learning even more from your current training cycle, keep up the great work

Could be. It only happens when running and almost always only when running at long run pace or faster. Easy days it's much less common. So it's some combination of running and something else.

Happy to help cure those Monday blues. And thanks I feel like this has been another year of good lessons learned too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter