To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Thanks again for the advice. I'll definitely hit you up and let you know how this upcoming race goes. I would love to build an intermediate goal too. I live in North Carolina so summer running is not always fun, and I have to watch the humidity and temps. That makes speed work a little tougher at times.

Start cheering hard for a Kansas-Michigan-Nova Final 4 and Michigan-Nova Final and Michigan Champ. If that happens, I win $1000 on Jiffy Sports with a 1st place finish?!?! I'm currently in 44th out of 2500 and no one ahead of me has a matching bracket. Fingers crossed. I've got other possible money winning options on other sites. But that's the highest probability. Kansas making it there is critical to pass two other Michigan Champs (as they have Duke). Funny enough, this bracket only had 20/32 games right in the 1st round.

Start cheering hard for a Kansas-Michigan-Nova Final 4 and Michigan-Nova Final and Michigan Champ. If that happens, I win $1000 on Jiffy Sports with a 1st place finish?!?! I'm currently in 44th out of 2500 and no one ahead of me has a matching bracket. Fingers crossed. I've got other possible money winning options on other sites. But that's the highest probability. Kansas making it there is critical to pass two other Michigan Champs (as they have Duke). Funny enough, this bracket only had 20/32 games right in the 1st round.
A Michigan-Nova championship is something I can easily get on board with! After Marquette, Michigan is my 2nd team, and with Villanova being from the Big East, I like seeing them do well in the tournament.

Had tough weekend #3. Got it done. How does one celebrate their 18 year wedding anniversary, we start with a cold, dreary 15 mile long run. DH joined me and nailed it. He has not been able to keep up with me so was nervous when he said he was going to try. We basically stayed on pace. I had 3 miles a bit too slow and 3 miles a bit too fast, they averaged and the other 9 were right in range. We did wait this morning for the rain to stop. No plans for the day so it was ok to run a little later. Our morning started at 2:15 when yeti got us up for cleaning. For those who don’t know, I have very old dogs and put up with way more than most. We know we are near then end so just trying to keep the one happy. The other is doing ok but with the cart takes a lot of additional care.

Anyways just happy to get it done. One more crazy long weekend and the. The half marathon.

Billy, when do we talk about the next plan? I know I have 4 weeks till darkside. My intent was to take the week after off since I will be at Disney on vacation. I just feel like I need a week of not running, am sure I will get plenty of walking in. Chicago plan I think would start in June, do we do a mini plan for May? Do I get to do some short fastness, yes quarter mile repeats sound thrilling right now? What info will you need for the next plan? Sorry to get a head but I know you have lots of plans out there so want to make sure I am in the queue.

Ha I forgot how else we celebrated, after then run we walked to the new brewery and celebrated with beer and burgers, talk about anniversary love!

83 Days to Go (Running and Biking)

giphy.gif

Date - Day - Scheduled Workouts (Intervals within desired pace)

3/19/18 - M - OFF
3/20/18 - T - MCR Stage 1B + 3 miles @ EA (9:11 min/mile) + FTP Builder W2D1
3/21/18 - W - 4 miles @ EA (8:33 min/mile)
3/22/18 - R - MCR Stage 1B + 3 miles @ EA (9:11 min/mile) + FTP Builder W2D2
3/23/18 - F - 5 miles @ EB (8:33 min/mile)
3/24/18 - Sat - 3 miles @ EA (9:11 min/mile) + FTP Builder W2D3
3/25/18 - Sun - 4 miles @ EB (8:33 min/mile) + FTP Builder W2D4

Running duration = 3:13 hours
Running mileage = 22.1 miles
Indoor Virtual Biking duration = 4:22 hours
Indoor Virtual Biking mileage = 83.4 miles
Total (training) duration = 7:36 hours
Total (training) mileage = 105.5 miles
Number of running SOS intervals within pace = x/x

Monday

Nothing out of the ordinary. G had a crying fit over something (can't remember what). I asked her if that worked on grandma, grandpa, SIL, BIL and mom. She said yes. I asked her if it worked on dad. She said no. Looks like she is learning. 8-)

Tuesday

I woke up Tuesday feeling relatively sick. I'd been fighting the start of it for a few days, but finally I had a sore throat and no voice. Time to get week 2 of recovery started off on the right foot. That 5am wakeup call felt too soon, but soon enough I rolled out of bed to get my McMillan Core Routine Stage 1B done.

Front Plank - 3 x 20 sec w/ 20 sec rest
Side Plank - 3 x 20 sec w/ 20 sec rest
Leg Lowering - 15 reps
Metronome - 10 reps
Sit-up with a Twist - 15 reps
Jane Fonda - 15 reps
I Run Fast - 1 set both legs

Still wasn't able to finish off the sit-up with a twist (got 13 out of 15). Overall though, it went well. Can definitely feel it working. The hamstrings were still sore from the last week.

After work, it was time to get the afternoon run and bike done. The run was an easy 3 miler. Finished it off in 27:07 with a HR of 134. The pace was really consistent at 8:53, 8:55, and 8:55 with mostly blind pacing. Ran into the house and it was the start of the bike.

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 4.02.54 PM.png

10 min WU + 5 x 6 min @ 73% FTP w/ 2 min RI + 5 min CD

Another easy bike ride. HR was kept at 111-114, cadence around 90 rpm, and actual %FTP was 70-71 during the 73% FTP intervals. Virtual speed was 16.8 mph and 15.8 total miles.

In all, 1:22 hours of training. Solid easy day.

Wednesday

Hamstrings still sore and sickness still lingering. Still trying to regain past form and feelings. An easy 4 miles at an 8:39 min/mile (34:37 time) with splits of 8:42, 8:38, 8:37, and 8:37. HR average was 137. Another solid easy day, but still mostly sore.

Thursday

McMillan Core Routine Stage 1B again.

Front Plank - 3 x 20 sec w/ 20 sec rest
Side Plank - 3 x 20 sec w/ 20 sec rest
Leg Lowering - 15 reps
Metronome - 10 reps
Sit-up with a Twist - 15 reps
Jane Fonda - 15 reps
I Run Fast - 1 set both legs

Finally completed all workouts in full! Not yet ready for 1C yet, but making good progress. I can tell it's working the sides of my body more than my previous core routine.

After work came the run. Another easy 3 miles (26:31 and pace of 8:50). HR was 137. Ran inside the house and time for the bike.

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 4.03.06 PM.png

Busy, Busy.

10 min WU + 2:50 @ 88% FTP (Tempo) + 10 sec @ 160% FTP (Neuro) + 5 min WU + 2 sets of (6 x 10 sec @ 160% FTP w/ 1:50 RI) w/ 10 min RI + 10 min CD

I really like this workout last week. It was nice to get a touch of power and speed. Today was much of the same, but I could tell it was a difficult workout for me coming after the run. I decided to climb Zwift's tallest climb on this one. While I can't actually feel the climb, it was a different experience as I got all the way to the top of the mountain.

I got none of the intervals onto 160%, but I'm not concerned since trying to hit a short duration (10 sec) with a slowly responding system seems to fraught with inaccuracies. Overall my neuro paces were between 180-300% FTP. The cadence of these were about 100-120 rpm. HR was just getting up into the mid 130s. I could tell I was working pretty hard because the first set of sprints my HR was returning to baseline. But that second set the HR wasn't recovering as quickly. I decided to add one more interval as I was just starting the downhill of the mountain. I was able to hit 55mph on the downhill portion.

Overall the bike was 16 miles in 1:02. The total training for the day was 1:28 hours.

Friday

Friday was time to up the distance to 5 miles. My hamstrings were still sore, but I felt like I might finally be turning a corner. I completed the run in 40:56 (8:10 min/mile) with splits of 8:30, 8:05, 8:05, 8:05, and 8:03. The HR average was 144. After the workout was over, I could tell I probably pushed it a touch too hard. It felt fine, but I was suppose to be aiming for a 8:33 and I took it up a notch too far. Not injured or any more sore, just knew it was probably too much. I decided to check out Stravistix since that's a training load calculator based on duration and HR during the run (and now bike!).

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 4.59.41 PM.png

It's been since before Dopey that I looked at this data. Mostly because I didn't want to, but also because I didn't need to. It was nice to see the progression of Dopey with the marathon morning being in the near optimal "recovery" zone for racing. Seems like I set everything up for a successful set of races. The 5k/10k was too rested, but the important part was being primed for the HM and M. Then came the time off, and then biking slowed the rate of training load decreasing. Then the big spike towards the end there is the beginning of this recovery cycle with running and biking (does not take into account the McMillan core). As you can see the fatigue (immediate training load in yellow) is increasing dramatically (makes sense) and the difference between immediate training load and long term training load (purple) is the orange line (form). As you can see, the training thus far has taken me into the "optimal" training zone. After Friday's run, I could tell if I pushed Saturday too hard, then I'd probably venture into overtraining. So based on this data (and how I was feeling) I knew I needed to pull back a bit on Saturday (less than 12 hours later).

Still had a cough and still not 100%.

Saturday

Saturday was an early morning. I needed to finish with my run+bike in time to go to the Easter egg hunt. So up at 5:00am and out the door for a cold morning run. I took it super easy and just did some nice laps. 3 miles in 29:13 (9:37 min/mile) with a HR of 129. Originally this was to be 4 miles, but because of yesterday I cut it down. Right where I wanted to be for this super easy day.

Got into the house and started the bike ride.

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 4.03.18 PM.png

6 min WU + 6 x 6 min @ 73% FTP w/ 2 min RI + 6 min CD

Again, a goal of a super easy ride. Near perfect splits with a cadence around 90 and HR around 104-106. Thankfully was not nearly as sore in my hamstrings. Starting to feel stronger and taking an extra easy seemed right on target. In total, 21.5 miles in 1:00. With the run, that was nearly 1:30 hours in training for the morning. Interesting to note, Stravistix estimated the training load of the run and bike to be equal at 39 TSS (or stress score, or fitness). So a 30 min run at super easy HR of 129 = 60 min bike ride at super easy HR of 105.

After working out, I ate breakfast, got cleaned up and then we headed out to the Easter Egg hunt. G had a blast. Although it was really windy and cold (which wasn't very fun). I decided to go extreme to try and avoid the cold fingers. So I was wearing a ton of layers and such. Thankfully it worked. G did quite well and came away with tons of candy.

Sunday

Sunday was another early morning. Steph and I had tickets to Black Panther at 9:50am, so I needed to get everything done early in the morning. Got started at 5am again. Another cold morning (WC of 17) and I tried to overdress as much as tolerable. The run was good again. No hamstring soreness and no pain whatsoever. I continued the trend of just running easy and letting it come to me. It was 4 miles in 34:55 (8:32 min/mile). The pace was ever increasing throughout the run, so more like a progression. Still making slow progress to returning to running fitness. Then I got in the house for my new longest ride ever!

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 4.03.27 PM.png

10 min WU + 4 x 4 min @ 88% FTP (Tempo) w/ 2 min RI + 2 min RI + 3 x 6 min @ 86-89% FTP (Tempo) w/ 3 min RI + 3 min RI + 4 x 1 min @ 100% FTP (Threshold) w/ 3 min RI + 3 min CD

Lots of steps, but thankfully Zwift takes all the guess work out of it. Originally, I thought maybe I had undersold my FTP (299) because of the increase in pace at the end of the FTP test a few weeks back. But with the runs prior to the bike, I think the bikes are right where they should be. I wasn't cardiovascularly challenges, but my legs were definitely struggling a bit at the end of this workout.

FTP Tempo intervals were between 84-88% with a cadence of 95-98 and HR of 120-125. Then the Threshold intervals were 102-104% with a cadence of 92-104 and HR of 114-116. But it was the RI between the threshold that told me the end was near as those really dropped off the map. In total 30.1 miles in 1:23 hours. With the bike, that gave me 1:58 hours in training. Again, the Stravistix training load was nearly equal among the run and bike at 68 and 73 respectively.

Another solid week of training. Still making progress slowly but trending in the right direction.

NCAA Tournament Update!

So things have been rolling in my favor. A Final Four of Loyola, Michigan, Villanova, and Kansas. I've got two brackets on ESPN in good shape for top 1% (Kansas winner at 83 points and Villanova winner at 73). But the Jiffy Sports bracket is doing really well. That bracket has 82 points with a Michigan-Villanova game with Michigan winner. That bracket is in 7th place out of 2500 brackets. I'm still in position to pull a 1st place finish with a Michigan win over Villanova (but I get nothing if it's Michigan over Kansas).

Solid week with some smart adjustments. Really glad to see that the hamstring was feeling fine on Sunday, that's great! You talked a little about training load and fatigue increasing between the two sports. What's your plan to balance the two as you pick up your running mileage again? Just curious.

Great week of training and your bracket has me seriously jealous. I am out of it as my final four were Purdue, UNC, Duke and Kentucky. :confused3 I was doing really well there for a bit! LOL.

Solid week with some smart adjustments. Really glad to see that the hamstring was feeling fine on Sunday, that's great! You talked a little about training load and fatigue increasing between the two sports. What's your plan to balance the two as you pick up your running mileage again? Just curious.

Great question.

The running jumps from phase 1 of recovery (33%) to phase 2 of recovery (50%) this week. So now instead of about 20 miles per week, I'll be doing 30 miles. To compensate, the Saturday endurance based bike ride is going to be dropped. This will allow the running training load to increase, the biking training load to decrease, but since running seems to have a larger effect I should still see a steady increase in overall training load scoring.

During phase 3 of recovery (75%) running will be near 40 miles and biking will stay the same. Starting the week of 4/23, I should be able to go back to running in full form. I have not decided what I'm going to do with the biking then yet. Possibly 30 min easy on Wed/Fri mornings as an active recovery measure (but am I really going to want to wake up early 4 days per week now instead of just 2) OR swap the easy 90 min run on Saturdays for a equivalent training load bike ride? Based on the data thus far, an equivalent bike ride would be around 120 TRIMP which looks like some seriously challenging 90-120 min bike rides from the Zwift workout listings. I haven't settled on a plan post 4/23 just yet.

Great week of training and your bracket has me seriously jealous. I am out of it as my final four were Purdue, UNC, Duke and Kentucky. :confused3 I was doing really well there for a bit! LOL.

Thanks! Just remember, I've got tons of other brackets that are toast as well. Just got a lucky selection thus far.

Solid week especially since you weren't feeling well. I'm enjoying seeing how you are incorporating the bike into your training as well.

Nice job on those brackets. I don't do brackets, but Chris' 2 are completely busted.

Solid week especially since you weren't feeling well. I'm enjoying seeing how you are incorporating the bike into your training as well.

Thanks! It's been an interesting balance act trying to incorporate biking and McMillan core into the new routine. Thus far, it appears to be working. Time will tell whether it is a suitable long term solution.

Nice job on those brackets. I don't do brackets, but Chris' 2 are completely busted.

Thanks! Yea, about 70 of my 73 brackets are pretty well busted as well. Lots of duds and only a few good ones.

What did you think of Black Panther??

I liked it. Felt it stood alone from the other Marvel since there were few connections to other characters. I liked the cast and thought Black Pather's sister was really funny. My main reason to see it was to make sure I didn't miss anything leading into Infinity War (just bought my tix last night) which I've been waiting for since the first movies started coming out. Still need to see Thor Ragnarok and then I'll be all caught up.

Glad to hear you are getting back into the groove with training. It's funny that you mentioned having having to catch up on all the movies before infinity war. My DS wanted to revisit all of them in order by release and have spent quite a few weekends in the marvel universe lately. Unfortunately we are set to get on a ferry to move opening weekend so will have to try to avoid media till we can get to a theater to see it.

Also,I believe you will do well with your brackets. You seem to have a knack for predictions, I mean you won your own Dopey contest.

We were looking at the marathon thing that AMC is having of all the movies before Infinity War release and wondering how on earth anyone could sit through 31 hours of movies. :) We decided that the best time for naps looked to be during the Edward Norton Hulk movie that has no connection to anything else (I don't know why they are showing that one?) and then the stretch of Spider-Man: Homecoming and Black Panther right before Infinity War, since those were very recently seen in the theater.

I liked it. Felt it stood alone from the other Marvel since there were few connections to other characters. I liked the cast and thought Black Pather's sister was really funny. My main reason to see it was to make sure I didn't miss anything leading into Infinity War (just bought my tix last night) which I've been waiting for since the first movies started coming out. Still need to see Thor Ragnarok and then I'll be all caught up.

My copy of Ragnarok should be waiting for me when I get home. It’s so good. Top 5 marvel movie for me.

I’m stoked for Infinity, but have purposely avoided all trailers, media, articles, etc. I want to go in totally blind.

I wanted to check-in publicly on your page regarding my training plan you put together. I'm in my 6th week of an 11 week plan preparing for the Great Western trail HM on May 6th. I am enjoying the plan and have been sticking closely to it. Like many, it took a few runs to learn how to slow down. I'm very optimistic that the training will allow me to have a great run. Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter