Too late for Palo's?

patmcg

Mouseketeer
I just called the DCL to confirm the time the buses will be picking us up at the BCV the morning of 12/7/2002. I was somewhat disappointed to learn that it will be about noon, give or take ten minutes. This means that we wouldn’t be arriving at the terminal until about 1:00, if we're lucky.

I know from past experience that boarding sometime takes place between 12:30 and 1:00, and since I had every intention of making reservations at Palo’s for both dinner and high-tea. I’m afraid I will arrive too late and nothing will be available.

Has anyone had a similar experience and do I stand a chance of getting the reservations I was so looking forward to.

Thank you.
Patmcg

In March of last year, I made Palo reservations at 2:45 PM and had no trouble whatsoever - in fact I had a choice of times and nights. This was on the 3 day Wonder cruise and during spring break (busy) time. They seem to have things pretty much under control - at least much better than 3 years ago!!

Seems easier to get the Palo's ressies on the 3-Nite and the 7-Nites??? Perhaps because on the 3 Nite people are more hesitant to give up one of the three main dining rooms... And, on the 7-Nites, well, there are seven nights, plus High tea, plus Brunch??? Twice the availability. Hhhmmmm?

On the 4-Nites, I have heard that it is harder to get Palo ressies on that fourth night. Will we have problems getting a reservation at Palo just before sunset? If DH is one of the first in line, I am hoping this can be done. Somebody please tell me what are the odds?

On the Oct 19th cruise we arrived at port around 12 noon and the line to board was wrapped around the terminal. Boarding didn't start until around 12:30PM Per the Navigator ressies started at 12 noon.
By the time we boarded I got # 34. No porblem with brunch or dinner ressies but High Tea was all booked.

4 day the year before I was # 1 and had my choice of times. Go as soon as you board.

i did not think it was going to be that hard to get paolo ressies. I figured we would get lunch first then go down to rocken bar d to sign up. should I go straight there first?

If my memory serves correctly, I think ressies for Palo starts at 2:30 at Palos.

I think the time/location for Palo reservations may change but I seem to remember that it was at 1:00 or so, like the spa, etc.

If you are cruing a 7 day, consider the Palo Brunch, too. In my opinion, it's better than dinner (both are awesome).

Last December on a 7-day Eastern Caribbean, I was one of the first in line to make Palo reservations and the High Tea was already totally booked. Had to put my name on the waiting list and was supposed to be in my room at 3 pm just in case they called. With all the other things on board it was hard to be in the room just in case. Got called the first day, but would have missed the Castaway Club party. So said no. Asked to be put on the next waiting list and never did get called. I think all of the reservations go to those in the first three classes that can book Palos early.:(

Thumper,

That is exactly what I am afraid of with Palo on the last night of the 4 day... Wouldn't take many reservations from those with the perks to make the time I want simply impossible :(

Anybody here had problems getting the time they wanted on that last night, even though they were first in line????

We were on the 4 day in August. We took the bus leaving from the resort at 12:00. Once we got on board we checked out our room first and then went to get reservation and had no problem at all getting the time we wanted at Palo on the last night. I think there were several times still available.

On the November 7th 3-day cruise, I heard that there were empty tables at Palo every night. Unfortunately, try as I may, I could not convince DW to try Palo. She promised me that we would do Palo "next time".

Good luck with your ressies.

For the current times check the Navigator as soon as you get it at check in. Ours was listed at 12 noon and they did start booking right away.
Lat year on the 4 day it was later in the day. With # 1 we got whatever time we wanted on the last night of the cruise.

I agree- the brunch on the 7 day is even better than the dinner but you can't beat the desserts! I saw on one post that someone was able to get the desserts as takeout.

I've solved my problem.

As much as I hated to do it, I called Happy Limo and asked them to pick us up at the BCV at 9:30. We should arrive at the pier approx. 10:45. I realize this is sort of early, but I really needed to get to Paulo's to make reservations.

I will ask DCL to cancel the first leg of my transfers only.

Ordinarily, I would have flown down the morning of the cruise, and taken the DCL bus right from the airport, but given the time of year and possible weather problems, I didn't want to take a chance.

Pat

Pat- Good idea about Happy Limo. We did the Halloween 7 day cruise and our bus left the Swan at about noon. By the time we got to Rockin' Bar D to make our ressies for Palos there were hardly any days available. We wanted to eat at Palos for our anniversary that night and I was told we should have no problem making ressies for the first night of the cruise. This was not the case. They were all booked up for that evening. We did get to eat at Palos but there were very few choices left on times and days.
Enjoy your cruise! Patty

Thank you Patty,

I am glad you at least had a chance to eat at Palo's. It is unfortunate that guest staying on Disney property are placed at a disadvantage when it comes to Palo's reservations.

I expressed my concern when I called DCL to cancel my Disney bus trip to the pier.

Thanks for your kind words.

Pat

Pat,

I wanted to cancel my transfer from the Dolphin to the port. I am starting to really regret staying in Disney prior to my 7 day. I need to have a Palo reservation for my 40th birthday on Dec 3rd and I will just cry if I get there too late.
Did they give you a problem canceling? Did they give you a refund? We are cruising on Nov 30th, is that too soon? How much did Happy Limo charge?......yes this is definitiely 20 questions..

Thanks for all your help
Lori

Pat,

I think you will be glad you made that decision. Dinner is no problem to get at Palo generally but high tea has MANY fewer slots and books up almost immediately.

Lisa

Just got back from 4-day. Palo's ressies opened in Wavebands at 1:30, which was when we got to WB, and was told that the last night was booked. We took the first night at 9:00 (or 8:30). We were very happy and it was packed. I would pick whatever night you can and then get on a waitlist for another choice. We were not thrilled w/ Parrot Cay, so I would book that night. The 4th night Menu was actually EXCELLENT for our cruise.

Got to Plaos. on whatever night you can-don't get hung up on the exaxct date. You are on vacation-ENJOY!!! Don't schedule your life. go w/the flow and you won't be disappointed.

Lori,

Sorry for getting back to you so late.

There was no problem canceling the first leg of the trip. DCL said they would credit $72 back to my CC acct. I explained the reason. DCL didn't seem to have a problem.

Happy Limo will be $90 + an automatic $18 gratuity. A bit more but I believe it will be worth it.

I have to agree with Nezy though. Do what is best for you but if you can't make Palo's, you will still have a wonderful time. Palo's is nice but it isn’t everything.

Have a Happy Birthday and wonderful cruise.

Thanks everybody,

Pat

Pat,

Thanks for the reply, I think I would rather cancel and go with happy limo but my TA told me that she is trying to do the booking prior to departure, she will call me tomorrow.

Nezy...

Got to Plaos. on whatever night you can-don't get hung up on the exaxct date. You are on vacation-ENJOY!!! Don't schedule your life. go w/the flow and you won't be disappointed.[/B

There is alot more behind this than just being spoiled and wanting my way. My sister just died a few weeks ago and I don't ask for much in life and if it is to sit and have a somewhat nice dinner to celebrate my very somber 40th instead of wanting to throw myself overboard, I think I deserve to make that request. Especially after spending the money I did, but thanks for your concern

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter