Top 5 must do's (Non Theme Parks)

mikeje99

Earning My Ears
Not having been on the board for long I don't know if anyone has ever asked this question before. Anyway what I was after is peoples suggestions on which are the 5 things to do in Orlando/Florida other than the theme parks .

Mike

Caladesi/Honeymoon Islands.

They are REALLY beautiful. You can take a boat ride from Honeymoon to Caladesi for a low cost and see dolhpins on the way. Caladesi is a national park island with a shop and food counter and a massive long sandy beach with dolphins swimming along the shoreline.

Our visit to Caladesi was a day we will never forget: It was breathtaking. I highly reccomend you visit there. Honeymoon is only a short drive from Clearwater. Honeymoon has great shelling and wildlife viewing.

Top 5 non-theme park?

1. Sunday Brunch at the Don CeSar in St Petes beach
2. The Sea-Screamer from Clearwater Beach (Dolphin spotting)
3. The Dali Museum in St Petes
4. Drive to the Gold Coast avoiding the Beeline expressway etc
5. Coffee at Barnies in any of the Big Malls (University or the new one in Tampa are very good)

1. View a shuttle launch from inside KSC.
2. Hire Waverunners from Johns Pass, Madeira Island and go dolphin spotting.( I have had dolphins swimming along side )
3. Hire a jet boat and cruise the beaches on the Gulf
4. Spend the day at Caledisi Island.
5. Do the skydiving simulator on International Dr.

1. Cirque du Soleil
2. Visit the Gulf Coast
3. Boggy Creek Airboats
4. Eat at Jungle Jim's (Crossroads)
5. Go to Cirque du Soleil again!

1. Resort hopping - we love checking out all the WDW and US hotels and restaurants. Celebration is also worth a visit;

2. Special events such as MVMCP, Halloween Horror Nights and the International Food and Wine Festival (OK, I know they're in the parks, but I think it fits into the spirit of the question ;) );

3. Cirque du Soleil. I was a tad disappointed, but I've since put that down to the unbelievable hype - when something is lauded that much, it usually fails to live up to expectations. I felt the same about Fantasmic and enjoyed that better a second time. Even if I never get to see Cirque again, I'm pleased I've experienced it and I would recommend it;

4. Spending an evening at Downtown Disney. Ditto the BoardWalk and CityWalk. Great atmosphere at all of them after dark;

5. Just being there. All the little incidentals that mean you're on holiday and away from the hum-drum. Relaxing in the pool, shopping, going to the cinema, playing mini golf, soaking up the atmosphere. I even love visiting the supermarkets.

For this trip we've got a few 'firsts' planned - MNSSHP, DisneyQuest, checking out the new Royal Pacific and Gaylord Palms hotels, visiting Winter Park, a day on the gulf coast, THE MALL AT MILLENIA (how exited am I about that?!), and we're toying with the idea of Boggy Creek Airboat Rides, but I'm a bit nervous about the bugs!

I forgot to mention...

I agree with Spottydog and Debbie............
Cirque Du Soleil , La Nouba. (At Downtown Disney)

This was one of our favorite shows on our last visit, and although the tickets are expensive, it is well worth it. La Nouba is not my favorite cirque show ('O' Has to be the best!), but still must been seen once to be experienced.

does anyone know where the skydiving simulator is located on I Drive ?
I'd love to give that a go :D

:jester: 108 to go :jester:

alexandra,

The sky diving thing is opposite wet and wild.

I did it a few years back. From what i can remember, you have a 20 minute instruction, then they put you in a jump suit. You then fly into the wind tunnel with the instrutor, who corrects your body positions, to enable you to fly !

I had to sign a disclaimer before doing it though. It went something like " If you break your back or kill yourself in the simulator, you wont sue us " type of thing !

Paul

Thanks Paul
Its something I've always wanted to do, but I wouldn't jump out of a plane for a trillion squid :D So that'll suit me just fine :D

:jester: 108 to go :jester:

Alexandra,

The site for the sky diving is www.skyventure.cc/index_flash.htm

I saw nfo on this on the Other Orlando part of DIS and was thinking about doing it in October.

I was going to post here to ask if anyone had done it as I've never seen it mentioned on UK DIS:Pinkbounc

Well here are my 5:

1) Character breakfast at Cape May at the Beach Club
2) Have a Martini at The Portobello Yacht Club
3) Shop at Florida Mall - it's not outlet but I just love seeing all those typical USA shops especially (if you're a "Friends" viewer) The Pottery Barn. Also has my favourite clothes shop Lane Bryant.
4) Ride up front in the monorail all around the lagoon
5) Sit on the boardwalk grab an ice cream and watch the world go by... oh and laugh at the magician come fire come sword eater it's 'orrible but you can't help but watch!

For me its
1 Play Golf Magnolia
2 Play Ggolf Palm
3 Play Golf Lake Buena Vista
4 Play Golf Osprey Ridge
5 Play Golf Eagle Pines

But I undertsnad its not going to be everybodies taste:cool:

Thanks for the link:) I've printed the voucher fpr SkyVenture:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter