• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Toronto summer heat/humidity vs MCO

Heat is relative. I don’t consider GTA to have brutal summers. If you think that is humid, you might have a hard time with summers in Florida. It’s a whole other level of heat.

I don’t consider myself to be a person who sweats much, but I had sweat pouring down my legs walking from the hotel door to the car.

I swore I’d never do August. Well I went last year with my daughter. It was hot but we did really well. Up and out early. Hid from noon til five. Evenings out. It was wonderful. Going again this year.

We didn’t like swimming in the afternoon. Preferred mornings, before the pool was human soup.

We live in the GTA and notice the biggest difference aside from the sheer humidity of Florida - is the early morning temperatures - even at 6:30 am (in Orlando) you can feel the warmth/ heat - in the GTA - July/Aug you feel a coolness in the air at 6 am - It doesn't feel warm till later in the morning. Love the heat of Florida - we went to Disney in July last year and Clearwater in August. I feel Disney does a great job of keeping us out of the direct sun in many of its attractions.:flower1:

I swore I’d never do August. Well I went last year with my daughter. It was hot but we did really well. Up and out early. Hid from noon til five. Evenings out. It was wonderful. Going again this year.

We didn’t like swimming in the afternoon. Preferred mornings, before the pool was human soup.

So, any suggestions for what to do in the afternoon? I somehow just booked us a free dining trip for Aug. 20 to 31...

So, any suggestions for what to do in the afternoon? I somehow just booked us a free dining trip for Aug. 20 to 31...
Congratulations! Where are you staying? We are dvc, so we enjoy the Community Halls. Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Bay Lake Tower, Saratoga Springs, Old Key West has them. Great for activities, arts and crafts, movies, video games, foos Ball, air hockey.

Most resorts have afternoon activities.

Naps are common since we are up early and out late.

Again, dvc has a free movie library so we often enjoy a movie afternoon.

Have fun!

Since it's just the kids and I, we're staying at AS Sports. I'm thinking that's when we'll do stuff like the Tiki Room, shopping, People Mover, etc.

Congratulations! Where are you staying? We are dvc, so we enjoy the Community Halls. Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Bay Lake Tower, Saratoga Springs, Old Key West has them. Great for activities, arts and crafts, movies, video games, foos Ball, air hockey.

Most resorts have afternoon activities.

Naps are common since we are up early and out late.

Again, dvc has a free movie library so we often enjoy a movie afternoon.

Have fun!

August in WDW is very humid. We went through a few hurricanes and tropical storms and extreme heat waves. The best way to deal with it is to keep hydrated as everyone will tell you and plan to go through AC shops to cool down. We used a very good strategy for avoiding crowds and humidity by walking through the stores. It works quite well.

We also spend more time at the resort pool in the afternoon and do parks in the evening. But as people will tell you, it still quite humid even when the sun goes down.

I absolutely hate heat...my husband always tells everyone that the minute I walk out in the humidity, I'm like a sloth...apparently, it's quite funny since I'm actually a very fast walker...can't help it, my normal walk is fast speed.:-)

I go the last week of August and it feels like the worse days of July in SW Ont. the thing is, it starts to cool off up here by that time so you aren't climatized to it.

We do mornings and evenings at the parks, a long lunch in an air conditioned restaurant and pool time....except last time we were there, as soon as we head to the pool, it started to storm.

I’m from Waterloo and we did DisneyWorld last Aug. Temps in August in Orlando were over 40 plus humidex. It hit high 40s with humidex. Not comparable to TO in my opinion.

I’m from Waterloo and we did DisneyWorld last Aug. Temps in August in Orlando were over 40 plus humidex. It hit high 40s with humidex. Not comparable to TO in my opinion.

This wasn’t our experience last year at all! :confused3 We went August 21-September 2. Yes it’s hot. Yes it’s humid. Yes it last all day. BUT it was never over 40 Celsius!, let alone high 40s with humidex! That’s very misleading.

It did only go down to mid-20s overnight.

In fact, here’s a link to last years actual temps. The highest temp of the month was 35 degrees (plus humidex) and the lowest overnight was only 23 degrees Celsius.
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/orlando/historic?month=8&year=2017

Plenty of ice water. Plenty of A/C. Take it slower. All doable.

This wasn’t our experience last year at all! :confused3 We went August 21-September 2. Yes it’s hot. Yes it’s humid. Yes it last all day. BUT it was never over 40 Celsius!, let alone high 40s with humidex! That’s very misleading.

It did only go down to mid-20s overnight.

In fact, here’s a link to last years actual temps. The highest temp of the month was 35 degrees (plus humidex) and the lowest overnight was only 23 degrees Celsius.
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/orlando/historic?month=8&year=2017

Plenty of ice water. Plenty of A/C. Take it slower. All doable.

Maybe I’m misremembering the actual temps. But this was the forecast for one of the days (feels like 51). DEFE783F-628B-4EE2-ACD8-6B0297A8EAF3.jpeg

I have had season passes to wonderland and would go anytime and ya it was hot but bearable. When I was at Disney last September it was hands down the worst heat I've ever experienced. I still enjoyed the trip but if I'm sweating profusely at 7am that's hot. I have since sworn off going to Disney between middle of May to November.

I too went the last two weeks of August and it is way hotter then Southwestern Ontario by at least 10 degrees the humidex was much higher then here. Yes 51 was correct.

Yes it was horribly hot we found the older adults in their 60’s found the heat to much and wouldn’t do it again where as the rest of us 45 to 6 would.

My tip is train for the heat at home go for lunch breaks outside and walk in the sun. That helped me a lot. I was still hot and sweaty all the time but whatever I’m at Disney.

The ice water and slushies helped a lot. I also found the sun much brighter down there then here. I wish I brought my darker sunglasses.

Plan a sit down lunch at noon or 1 or go back to your room.

Swimming at night was great never got cold when I got out of the pool. (Side not do 18 or 16year olds really need to be throwing a ball in the quiet pool at 11pm and being loud, this is why we can’t have nice things their parents where there and everything)

Walk in the shade as much as you can or walk through stores. I brought an umbrella for shade and it really helped. Better then a hat as I would get too hot.

Yes we had rain and rain much more intense then here. They closed the water park due to a thunderstorm lucky it was at 3ish. We went back to the hotel and then the rain came and it was heaven for hours we canceled our dinner reservation at Disney springs no issues.

We walked up to the food court and wore water shoes thank goodness as the water was above our ankles and the kids thought it was awesome , food court was so crazy though never seen it like that before. They brought staff and managers form the store and check in. Rain stopped around 9pm. So glad it wasn’t a park day as all the outdoor things would have been shutdown.

We did have another late bad rainy day at Epcot I took the two kids to hoop de doo while the grandmothers and mothers (I’m the aunt) stayed at the park. I started to pour around 6 just as we scanned back into the park. Parents wanted to leave girls wanted to say as we scored another fastpast to frozen. Parents where in the country’s so far away in the downpour and I mean downpour. So we went on space ship earth and dried off a bit md the rain slowed down after. The girls begged to not wear their rain gear it’s hot and sticky. I said fine. Sure we got wet but it’s warm rain and we didn’t get a chill. I found the rides to be cool but it freezing like some of the restaurants and stores.

I can ramble some more if you want about the rain and heat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter