Transferring of points?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Can someone explain to me how one goes about the transfer of points? I get what renting points is, purchasing one time use points from Disney, but not real sure about how transfer of points goes. Thanks!

With a points transfer, the points are deducted from the sender's account and deposited into the receiver's account. They retain their original home resort and use year month.

With a points transfer, the points are deducted from the sender's account and deposited into the receiver's account. They retain their original home resort and use year month.
So is it kinda like renting points in a way? A buyer pays the seller a certain amount per point and they are "magically" deposited into the buyer's account?

As I understand it, a down side it the transferred points will not show on your account and you can not make reservations on line with transferred points. You must call MS.

As I understand it, a down side it the transferred points will not show on your account and you can not make reservations on line with transferred points. You must call MS.
Oh, ok. Hmmmm, sounds scary, but thanks for the info. How would you now that you didn't get scammed or such without being able to see them? I guess call?

Oh, ok. Hmmmm, sounds scary, but thanks for the info. How would you now that you didn't get scammed or such without being able to see them? I guess call?

As with renting points a transfer requires trust. The receiver normally pays the sender the money before any points are received.

If you don’t have trust don’t ask for a transfer.

If you do decide for a transfer, you could agree with the seller that you do a 3-way call to MS.

On another node, if you receive points which has the same UY and home resort you should be able to see and use them online.

In order to receive the transfer, both have to be members and of course, trust each other. Members can only get one transfer in/out of the membership for each UY and by the rules, you are not to receive compensation. I have done transfers a few times and I ask for full payment upfront. I then do the transfer and the person can check with a call to MS that it has occurred. The benefit of a transfer vs a rental is that the member who got the points has control of them as part of his/her membership. With a rental, the reservations stays with the owner of the points. Because of the once per UY rule, transfers are usually for more points where a rental can be done for individual nights. Just be sure you are comfortable with everything and the person you deal with!

As others have mentioned, with a transfer, just like a rental, there has to be a certain level of trust. If you use a broker though to handle the transaction, then the funds that you pay would be held with the broker until you confirmed that the points are in your account. The confirmation would be you calling DVC.

While it is not the most convenient for the points not to show online, when I have personally transferred points to my account, when I go to book my first reservation with those points I call DVC and tell them to use the transferred points first. That way the points are gone in one reservation and then I can go back to booking future reservations online.

Transfers are ideal for a member because the points are in your complete control versus a reservation booked under another members account. Also, with a transfer you can combine your own points with the transferred points and if you do not use all of the points most transferred points can be banked, if within their banking window.

You really have to plot out a transfer carefully, knowing which UY you are getting and what you need. You can only get one transfer per UY - in or out. If you get the same UY and resort then you should see the points in your account. If it is another resort/UY then you will have the points in your account but would have to call MS to book, so if you are trying to get a hard to get reservation and you have to wait to call MS then it could be dicey.

There is an element of risk because the member transferring the point would likely want payment in hand before making the transfer. Then you have to wait for the member to call MS to make the transfer.

I have done it once and thankfully had a member with great communication, provided me with a screen shot of his current points, he texted me as soon as he received my check and when he called in the transfer. I then was able to call in and book my reservation. Very smooth but still i worried that the member would get my money and not make any transfer.

As others have mentioned, with a transfer, just like a rental, there has to be a certain level of trust. If you use a broker though to handle the transaction, then the funds that you pay would be held with the broker until you confirmed that the points are in your account. The confirmation would be you calling DVC.

While it is not the most convenient for the points not to show online, when I have personally transferred points to my account, when I go to book my first reservation with those points I call DVC and tell them to use the transferred points first. That way the points are gone in one reservation and then I can go back to booking future reservations online.

Transfers are ideal for a member because the points are in your complete control versus a reservation booked under another members account. Also, with a transfer you can combine your own points with the transferred points and if you do not use all of the points most transferred points can be banked, if within their banking window.

I can state with first hand experience that the timeshare store does a great job in being the middle man for the transfer of points.

I used them to transfer in points last year and it worked great. I paid (I think via credit card) and they didn’t transfer funds until I emailed the
Back that points were in my account.

Took all the stress and worrying out of the transaction.

I have rented DVC points since 2009 and have recently bought in. My contract became active 2 weeks ago. I put my 2017 points up for transfer on another site (I didn't have enough posts here in the 6 month requirement) and were sold in a matter of hours. I suggested to the buyer that we make a 3 way call to MS to take care of it. She was comfortable sending the funds through PayPal and my handling the rest. I waited for the funds to be transferred from PP to my checking account. I took care of the transfer and notified the buyer who then called MS and notified me that all was good.

It was very easy and painless!!!

Last edited:
If you have two different use years, can you transfer the points to yourself? Or does that even make sense?

If you have two different use years, can you transfer the points to yourself? Or does that even make sense?

Yes you can. Though it's not listed as a rule you may be able to transfer more than once if transferring between your own contracts. But while some have reported success others have reported that MS has held them to one transfer even between their own accounts.

yes you can. I've done it multiple times and had transfers in from 3rd parties and never had issues. My guess is that most CMs do not count it against you as a transfer, but YMMV.

This is a very helpful thread. Especially since I’ve been bouncing an idea around.

We have 350 UY Dec VGF points and my family wants to go to Aulani again in a future summer. Not interested in the 7 month window challenges that we went through last year; had to keep trying for 3 days until successful.

If I were up for a 1-1 trade and found a willing interested Aulani owner, the only way to trade would be for me to transfer out a different year’s points than the other party transfers in? Do I have this right?

This is a very helpful thread. Especially since I’ve been bouncing an idea around.

We have 350 UY Dec VGF points and my family wants to go to Aulani again in a future summer. Not interested in the 7 month window challenges that we went through last year; had to keep trying for 3 days until successful.

If I were up for a 1-1 trade and found a willing interested Aulani owner, the only way to trade would be for me to transfer out a different year’s points than the other party transfers in? Do I have this right?

Transfers rules are weird with the UY thing. You're best bet is to rent out your points, take that cash and then either rent a reservation or transfer in some Aulani points.

Here's what someone else posted (@TexasChick123) trying to do more or less what you're wanting...

So I just spent a ridiculous amount of time on the phone getting transfer rules explained to me! Warning: this gets a little confusing!!! We are going to use my most recent experience as an example as it will help explain it. Another member and I are "trading" points. He has March UY Aulani points, and I have June UY BLT points.

RULE: Only one transfer in or out per use year

***Between March 1, 2017-February 28, 2018, he can only transfer points in or out of his account one time in his Aulani account. Between June 1, 2017-May 31st, I can only transfer points in or out one time of my BLT account.

RULE: The transferred points retain their UY.
***I am planning a Hawaii trip in November 2018. He is planning a BLT trip in July 2019. The plan is for him to send me his March 2018 Aulani for my BLT 2019 points.

Here is where it gets tricky. He sent me his points yesterday, February 19, 2018 while he is still in his March 2017 UY until this end of this month. He now cannot accept or send another transfer from that account until March 1, 2018. I took the transfer yesterday, and I am currently still in my June 2017 UY until May 31, 2018. I cannot send or accept another transfer from that account until June 1, 2018. It does not matter the year attached to the points that are being sent or received, as in the restriction of one in or one out per year has NOTHING to do with the year the points that you are sending/receiving are in. Translation, I can send him my 2019, 2020, or 2021, and so on points starting June 1, 2018. However, if he is planning a trip for July 2019, and I send him my June 2020 points, well he cannot borrow those. However, I could, in theory, have sent him my 2018 points which he could've banked into 2019 for the trip. The only points that will work for his July 2019 trip are my June 2018 (he would have to bank them) or June 2019 points. The only points that would've worked for my trip are his March 2017 points (would need to be banked) or his March 2018 points.

Also, I found out that you can bank transferred points up until the last day of the UY they are in as opposed to the 4 months out. Translation, I could bank his 2017 points into 2018 up until February 28, 2018. Apparently, the banking deadline does not apply to transferred points. Even though I was told this is the rule, YMMV depending on whom you speak with, I'm guessing.

I hope this helps to explain this to someone who is wondering because it is crazy confusing. I thought that the one in/one out followed the year attached to the points you are using as well, but that is not the case. In theory, you could transfer out 1/2 of your 2018 points one time and the other half another time if you did the first transfer during your June 2017 UY and then again in your June 2018 UY. Craziness!

You're best bet is to rent out your points, take that cash and then either rent a reservation or transfer in some Aulani points.

Thank you for all that... and excellent far more simpler advice! I didn’t think of that.

In order to receive the transfer, both have to be members

This is key. If someone is not a DVC member, then transferring points does not apply to them. The points get transferred into your DVC account.

As noted, renting works better. Remember, you’re limited to one transfer per year. That’s one total; in or out, so you couldn’t transfer in and out in the same year, which means you pool of potential traders is further limited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter