• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travel Insurance HELP!

tinay

Mouseketeer
So, we are booked and PIF for the EBTA this year, but my grandmother has recently become ill and we are unsure she will make it through the next few months. We are hoping that she will pull through, but things are not looking good.

We have never purchased travel insurance, so I was hoping to get some help on this topic because I have no idea where to start. Hoping to get 100% refunded if we do cancel, but unsure if that is possible.

Thank you in advance.

Edit to add: My grandmother will not be cruising with us

Last edited:
If she's been diagnosed already, it is considered a 'pre-existing condition' and many insurance providers do not offer that coverage cheaply. A huge factor in price is when you booked your trip; the closer you purchase insurance to the booking date is better with price and how much coverage is included.
Do a search along the lines of 'travel insurance comparison' and you will get results of websites that compare lots of different policies with easy to understand wording, really allows you to filter between what is most important for your family.

Are you past your actual PIF date ? That may make a difference.

But Amunet is correct, her illness will be considered a pre-existing condition and is likely to not be covered.

You may want to look into DCL's insurance, if it can still be purchased. Although the pre-existing condition ill still be an issue, they do have a "cancel for any reason" clause that covers 75% of cruise costs in the way of a future cruise credit -- see the policy for the specific details and any exclusions.

Even if you don't purchase DCL's policy, reading it will give you an idea of the kinds of terms and conditions you are likely to see with other policies: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contracts-terms-safety/vacation-protection-plan/

SW

But Amunet is correct, her illness will be considered a pre-existing condition and is likely to not be covered.

You may want to look into DCL's insurance, if it can still be purchased. Although the pre-existing condition ill still be an issue, they do have a "cancel for any reason" clause that covers 75% of cruise costs in the way of a future cruise credit -- see the policy for the specific details and any exclusions.

Even if you don't purchase DCL's policy, reading it will give you an idea of the kinds of terms and conditions you are likely to see with other policies: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contracts-terms-safety/vacation-protection-plan/

SW

OP stated she is already paid in full, so DCL's insurance is not an option.

The credit card you used may have travel insurance benefits. I know Chase Reserve and the Costco cards have decent travel insurance benefits. I'm not sure if they would cover a pre-existing condition.

A few years ago, I asked about pre-existing conditions. Many people have chronic medical conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure. I wondered if those were considered automatically pre-existing conditions. I inquired with the credit card company's travel insurance. I was told that if their condition was under control at the time of the booking, it would not be considered a pre-existing condition. By control, it meant that their medication had not changed over a period of time and that their doctor would approve of their travel at the time of booking. I don't remember the period of time, but it may have been something like two months.

So, even if your grandmother had an illness at the time of booking, it may not be considered a pre-exsiting condition. It wouldn't hurt to check with the credit card company and their travel insurance company.

I hope things improve for your grandmother.

I’ve been crunching insurance for my August cruise. In a similar situation, I’ve noticed while researching insurance on a site that compares policies that nationwide seems to offer refund for death of a family member not on the cruise. I’d start there. It’s part of the reasons listed for canceling and not related to preexisting conditions.

Sorry to hear of the reasons for looking at and needing travel insurance

Reading right and you are on next months EBTA 41 days out and no existing insurance covers your situation (virtually impossible to get so close to sailing outside of PIF and pre-existing conditions) I believe worst case as long as cancelled within the 55-30 day window, you would still be eligible for a 50% refund of the cost as long as not sailing concierge or another restricted fare. If this is the situation, just make sure to discuss with your TA/Disney well before the 30 day mark.

If she's been diagnosed already, it is considered a 'pre-existing condition' and many insurance providers do not offer that coverage cheaply. A huge factor in price is when you booked your trip; the closer you purchase insurance to the booking date is better with price and how much coverage is included.
Do a search along the lines of 'travel insurance comparison' and you will get results of websites that compare lots of different policies with easy to understand wording, really allows you to filter between what is most important for your family.

She has technically not been diagnosed yet, but it is less than 40 days out for the cruise... Thank you

SW

We are way pass PIF and less than 40 days til our cruise. DCL insurance is definitely no longer an option for us.

The credit card you used may have travel insurance benefits. I know Chase Reserve and the Costco cards have decent travel insurance benefits. I'm not sure if they would cover a pre-existing condition.

A few years ago, I asked about pre-existing conditions. Many people have chronic medical conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure. I wondered if those were considered automatically pre-existing conditions. I inquired with the credit card company's travel insurance. I was told that if their condition was under control at the time of the booking, it would not be considered a pre-existing condition. By control, it meant that their medication had not changed over a period of time and that their doctor would approve of their travel at the time of booking. I don't remember the period of time, but it may have been something like two months.

So, even if your grandmother had an illness at the time of booking, it may not be considered a pre-exsiting condition. It wouldn't hurt to check with the credit card company and their travel insurance company.

I hope things improve for your grandmother.

Do you know if the whole trip needs to be purchased with the same credit card because the deposits were not paid with a Chase reserve card, but the main bulk of the payment was with a Chase reserve card. I will definitely be calling the credit card company, but it has just been a mad house right now with family and I am utterly exhausted.

She did not have a diagnosed illness at the time of booking and technically does not have a confirmed diagnosis as of now since there has been no confirmation with the doctors.

Thank you

Recently shopped many credit credits for insurance and of the ones that offered it, most of the time its Trip Interuption Insurance thats offered, not Trip Cancellation Insurance. 75% of trip has to be on the card (usually).

Recently shopped many credit credits for insurance and of the ones that offered it, most of the time its Trip Interuption Insurance thats offered, not Trip Cancellation Insurance. 75% of trip has to be on the card (usually).

Yes, I try to figure out my MasterCard insurance. It was confusing but didn’t address things important to me, like medical evacuation....that’s probably the scariest and most expensive part. It did say the trip had to be paid with this cad and if it’s not 100% they would only apply the percentage of the insurance coverage. So if only 75% of the trip was paid by that card, then they would only pay 75% of the allowed amount. I try to remember to pay with this card now.

Do you know if the whole trip needs to be purchased with the same credit card because the deposits were not paid with a Chase reserve card, but the main bulk of the payment was with a Chase reserve card. I will definitely be calling the credit card company, but it has just been a mad house right now with family and I am utterly exhausted.

She did not have a diagnosed illness at the time of booking and technically does not have a confirmed diagnosis as of now since there has been no confirmation with the doctors.

Thank you
Chase pays what was put on the card. I had to cancel a trip last summer 5 days before departure due to a ruptured appendix and filed a claim through Chase. It was not a easy process. The initial call to start the claim must be done within 48 hours of the cancellation, the easy part, they then give you a claim number, you receive an email with a link to upload your documents, and then you wait for days with no acknowledgement they even received the documents. From the time I started the claim to receiving the reimbursement was ~120 days. They asked for the same documents several times, including the credit card statements showing payment for the trip. They even asked for a copy of our marriage license because we have different last names. It took several follow up phone calls because communication is not in their vocabulary. I am glad we finally received payment, but it was not an easy process.

Have you booked with a travel agent? We had to cancel our trip in February due to my son needed emergency surgery for a pre-existing condition and our travel agent was able o get us a full refund and rebook for mid-April.

Correct. That’s the lookback period. Squaremouth says “The pre-existing look back period for a travel insurance policy is the number of days that the insurance company will “look back” to determine if a claim is related to a pre-existing condition. The look back period is generally between 60 and 180 days, depending on the policy selected.“

She has technically not been diagnosed yet, but it is less than 40 days out for the cruise... Thank you

The lookback period means that if you get travel insurance (which will almost certainly at this point be without the PEC waiver) and then cancel because of your grandmother, the forms you’ll fill out will include taking that form to her physician, and s/he will answer questions like was her health stable at a certain time. Since you’re only thinking of insurance now, that lookback period will certainly come into play, and even without a diagnosis the doctor might well put that she wasn’t stable (her condition has changed, her medications have changed, etc), and you’ll be denied.

(Plus, you have to have the doctor fill out that form, and they do like to be paid for such things.)

Definitely look at the cc you used and do check out insurances!

But it also might be time for the hard conversations with her and family. Does she want you to go on this trip? If so and if something happens, is she ok if you don’t get back in time? Are YOU ok? If she’s ok with you going, but then the worst happens, will your family hold off on the funeral until you’re back? And a huge thing to think about is extended family. Will THEY understand? Or will they hold it against you forevermore? If they do, can you handle that?

These are conversations had in my family over the years because of my then MIL. Her health tanked starting in 2012, and there’s only so long that lives can be put on hold. Ultimately my then husband was her POA, but he made sure his sibs knew her wishes, and knew that arrangements could be held off until we got back if the worst happened. (And she’s still around, and has been on hospice for *a year* as of this month, so you just never know what will happen)

Have you booked with a travel agent? We had to cancel our trip in February due to my son needed emergency surgery for a pre-existing condition and our travel agent was able o get us a full refund and rebook for mid-April.

I have never used a TA before or ever purchased travel insurance...

The EBTA will be my brother's 10th cruise and it will be mine 7th cruise.

Last edited:
Chase pays what was put on the card. I had to cancel a trip last summer 5 days before departure due to a ruptured appendix and filed a claim through Chase. It was not a easy process. The initial call to start the claim must be done within 48 hours of the cancellation, the easy part, they then give you a claim number, you receive an email with a link to upload your documents, and then you wait for days with no acknowledgement they even received the documents. From the time I started the claim to receiving the reimbursement was ~120 days. They asked for the same documents several times, including the credit card statements showing payment for the trip. They even asked for a copy of our marriage license because we have different last names. It took several follow up phone calls because communication is not in their vocabulary. I am glad we finally received payment, but it was not an easy process.

Thank you for telling me about your experience. I will call Chase soon.

Correct. That’s the lookback period. Squaremouth says “The pre-existing look back period for a travel insurance policy is the number of days that the insurance company will “look back” to determine if a claim is related to a pre-existing condition. The look back period is generally between 60 and 180 days, depending on the policy selected.“

The lookback period means that if you get travel insurance (which will almost certainly at this point be without the PEC waiver) and then cancel because of your grandmother, the forms you’ll fill out will include taking that form to her physician, and s/he will answer questions like was her health stable at a certain time. Since you’re only thinking of insurance now, that lookback period will certainly come into play, and even without a diagnosis the doctor might well put that she wasn’t stable (her condition has changed, her medications have changed, etc), and you’ll be denied.

(Plus, you have to have the doctor fill out that form, and they do like to be paid for such things.)

Definitely look at the cc you used and do check out insurances!

But it also might be time for the hard conversations with her and family. Does she want you to go on this trip? If so and if something happens, is she ok if you don’t get back in time? Are YOU ok? If she’s ok with you going, but then the worst happens, will your family hold off on the funeral until you’re back? And a huge thing to think about is extended family. Will THEY understand? Or will they hold it against you forevermore? If they do, can you handle that?

These are conversations had in my family over the years because of my then MIL. Her health tanked starting in 2012, and there’s only so long that lives can be put on hold. Ultimately my then husband was her POA, but he made sure his sibs knew her wishes, and knew that arrangements could be held off until we got back if the worst happened. (And she’s still around, and has been on hospice for *a year* as of this month, so you just never know what will happen)

My grandmother will not be cruising with us. It is just my parents, my brother's family and mine. We have charged most of the trip on a single credit card (other than the deposits for the cruise), so I will definitely be calling the credit card company. We are mostly worried about her health deteriorating and the major possibility of her passing before the cruise or while we are on the cruise.

We do not have a diagnosis yet because we are waiting for the health insurance to approve the biopsy and scheduling it. I do not believe her physician will have any problem filling out any forms and we not mind having to pay him extra to do it.

Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter