Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's your opinion and I respect that. All we are tying to say is let Disney try it and see how it goes before panicking sets in. My opinion differs from yours and others. Nothing anyone says here is going to change anyone's mind. We can all see that.

That wasn't an opinion; that was a response (with experience) to your opinion that this thread has so much hate and negativity, volunteering at a pet shelter may change minds.

@JediBonas volunteers at a pet shelter and disagrees.

As I have said repeatedly I have already booked day care for my dog at Best Friends. Why does everyone assume it will be otherwise for other pet owners?

Because Best Friends has limited availability and not all pet owners will choose to board their pet during the day. Especially if the policy plainly states that dogs can be left unattended in the rooms for up to 7 hours.

I appreciate respectful pet owners like yourself. But let’s face it, the concern is never the respectful pet owners, but those that will bend the rules or outright ignore them. Disney does not have a good track record for enforcing policies, therefore people take advantage.

If you think this is all hysteria, then you haven't stood where some of us stand and really don't understand the key issues. ...You're lucky.
I get it. I have a dog and wouldn't bring her to WDW and of course I wouldn't want to be next to a barking dog all day. I would just save the hysteria for when this is actually implemented and we see the results. It is highly likely that very few people will ever be negatively impacted by this, and if that's not the case, Disney will fix it.

I don't believe there will be that many people that now want to bring their dogs. If they wanted to bring them so bad they could have been doing it already. The vast majority that decide to bring a dog will be responsible dog owners that won't leave them unattended for long periods of time. If that turns out not to be true, I trust Disney will fix it I would be more sympathetic to the complaints if this was being implemented at every resort, or even half the resorts. It's not, so it's easy to avoid if you are worried about allergies.

It just seems incredibly silly to me that I'm seeing a bunch of slippery slope arguments that dogs will be overrunning all the resorts, like this is happening as we speak:

anigif_enhanced-15507-1408611184-7.gif

That wasn't an opinion; that was a response (with experience) to your opinion that this thread has so much hate and negativity, volunteering at a pet shelter may change minds.

@JediBonas volunteers at a pet shelter and disagrees.
Yes it's my opinion that this is sad.

I think the podcast showed, like many posts on here, that if you haven't had to deal with dog allergies, phobias and/or inconsiderate dog-owners (the last of which would affect people dealing with the allergies and phobia much more) - then a lot of what we've talked about in this thread won't even occur to you, let alone be easy to understand. ...And this is true for all of us in different ways. We can't be aware of everything and understand all experiences fully.

So, it's more down to how open or closed our minds are when we're confronted with these things.
I can agree with that..but what do you expect Pete and the Podcasters to do? It's coming off like because they didn't speak to exactly what everyone on here wants them to speak about (which isn't realistic) they missed the mark I guess? I would honestly be just happy that he talked about it (and I mean that because it's their choice to use a thread on their Boards for discussion. They could have just talked about it in their own ways with disregard to the thread period or they could have chosen not to talk about it on their podcast and instead just leave it as an article) but now it's that it wasn't good enough. Honestly that's like a chunk of these posts. It seems no matter what someone says if they aren't fully against the policy and armed with enough negative thoughts or concerns about it it just isn't good enough. As far as open or closed minds go..can't that be said of the episode then? Keep an open mind for what they said rather than dwell on what they didn't say because you wished they spoke more of what you felt?

Has anyone really heard Pete shy away from speaking his mind? Honestly if Pete was truly against this idea I have no doubt he would be ranting about it. Heck there's a thread on the Boards because someone is upset that Pete keeps referring to Air Canada in a negative way multiple times..because Pete had an issue with how it was handled customer service wise. I remember when Disney kicked people out with a short notice at a restaurant due to a private event and the customer service was very lacking (and forgive me I don't remember which one) he basically stormed the gates. He even cancelled his reservation for the special event. And you better believe he didn't hold back what he said. I remember when Pete had a mini-sode and talked about people's poor customer service experiences and he didn't hold back either. I remember the Pulse shooting episode they did which was a very emotionally charged episode. I didn't agree with what they had all said more so about gun control (not an attempt to get political here) but I respected that they had the courage to even talk about it.

Re the podcast...

I thought it was interesting that the single instance they mentioned of bringing a dog to the hotel, (a dog which they thought was well behaved and didn’t bark when left alone) howled like crazy before the owner was even down the hallway. That is my primary concern, and they just reinforced it. Unwanted, disturbing noise.

They also seemed pretty confident that Disney would dedicate wings, floors, or buildings to be the only rooms to allow pets but that is completely up in the air still. If they do dedicate a building or wing of a building, then I personally have more than 1/2 of my concerns addressed.

I do not want these pets on the common resort walkways at all however.

Dan

I get it. I have a dog and wouldn't bring her to WDW and of course I wouldn't want to be next to a barking dog all day. I would just save the hysteria for when this is actually implemented and we see the results. It is highly likely that very few people will ever be negatively impacted by this, and if that's not the case, Disney will fix it.

I don't believe there will be that many people that now want to bring their dogs. If they wanted to bring them so bad they could have been doing it already. The vast majority that decide to bring a dog will be responsible dog owners that won't leave them unattended for long periods of time. If that turns out not to be true, I trust Disney will fix it I would be more sympathetic to the complaints if this was being implemented at every resort, or even half the resorts. It's not, so it's easy to avoid if you are worried about allergies.

It just seems incredibly silly to me that I'm seeing a bunch of slippery slope arguments that dogs will be overrunning all the resorts, like this is happening as we speak:

That would be my best day ever!!!!!

[/QUOTE
It was implemented 15 October 2017 with two days advance notice.

Re the podcast...

I thought it was interesting that the single instance they mentioned of bringing a dog to the hotel, (a dog which they thought was well behaved and didn’t bark when left alone) howled like crazy before the owner was even down the hallway. That is my primary concern, and they just reinforced it. Unwanted, disturbing noise.

They also seemed pretty confident that Disney would dedicate wings, floors, or buildings to be the only rooms to allow pets but that is completely up in the air still. If they do dedicate a building or wing of a building, then I personally have more than 1/2 of my concerns addressed.

Dan
I agree

Hopefully she has good info but the problem I see is there are two dog relief stations right up against the Royal rooms and preferred. The only way there is to walk your dog by these rooms. They have no purpose unless dogs will be close by. Same goes for AoA.

I completely don’t buy they don’t think many will do this. Disney’s #1 goal is revenue and they wouldn’t be doing all this if they weren’t expecting a cash success story.

I spoke with guest services Sunday at 8 pm. I'll be staying in a Little Mermaid room at the end of the month and he did not specially state which rooms were going to have dogs and which won't. He would just put in a "request" for a non dog Little Mermaid room. Seems as there is still conflicting info out there.

Not straightforward at all. This keeps getting ignored so I'll explain it again. I have a family of 5. Our affordable onsite options are POR and CBR. The next step up in price (which we could possibly manage for a shorter trip with a good discount) would be the FW Cabins or AoA suites. We now have one option which is CBR and it's currently under major construction.

I do believe there are a small number of suites at an All Star resort, but they rarely seem to show up as available, and after my experience with the rooms at AS Sports last year I wouldn't consider a stay in an AS resort again until they have a reburb. Even if you included their small number of suites then I have 2 unpleasant options for now.

I don’t think ppl are ignoring it, but I do think the family of 5 is a relatively small portion of the population. I’m not saying it doesn’t suck any less for those effected. But, I think WDW would make more resorts to accommodate this if there were that many families that fit this.

Like I said, it just shows you haven't read (well, there are over 100 pages :D) or don't really understand the posts by people whose concerns go way beyond barking.

You don't really get it and that's OK, but it does make it unkind to keep describing people's worries as hysteria.

You have no idea if, "It is highly likely that very few people will ever be negatively impacted by this, and if that's not the case, Disney will fix it." ...Not least because many in similar situations elsewhere will have been completely unknown to you and this will most likely be the case at Disney, too.

I do like the GIF, though.

Re the podcast...

Dan
I do agree with that aspect of the dog being away from its owner as in separation anxiety. I know the perfect most well behaved dog who is crate trained. He a black lab and is just such a sweety he's actually very shy. Unfortunately he suffers from separation anxiety because of his previous owner and for that single reason alone he would not be a good traveling companion. His owner would not even dream of taking him to a hotel unless she could be with him nearly constantly.

I can agree with that..but what do you expect Pete and the Podcasters to do? It's coming off like because they didn't speak to exactly what everyone on here wants them to speak about (which isn't realistic) they missed the mark I guess?...

Just to clarify, I meant nothing beyond my comment - that what they didn't address shows an understandable lack of awareness (based on lack of direct personal experience). I didn't have expectations beyond that.

ETA: My open/closed mind comment relates to anyone when confronted with new considerations (like posts on here, which Pete and co. may well not have read - there being quite a few posts to read now! :D) ...Having said that, if I'd asserted they weren't being fair in their podcast I might have been closed-minded myself in response to said podcast (as you mentioned), but I was simply saying they may not have been aware. I don't think I said I wished they'd made particular comments or criticised them for not?

Last edited:
Yes it's my opinion that this is sad.

FTR, I don't agree with some of the opinions here. Disney taking in pets during Irma actually put a smile on my face. And I've often thought on many occasions how nice it would be to have our anxiety dog with us at the cabins.

But now that this policy is REAL, which I never thought I'd see in a million years, it does have the potential to open up a can of worms, especially if Disney doesn't adhere to it properly.

Personal liability is another thing. Pets cannot be added to trip insurance, so owners will need to be careful. Just a few weeks ago we watched guests petting dogs at Epcot and FW. To ME, that is not smart. At all.

I spoke with guest services Sunday at 8 pm. I'll be staying in a Little Mermaid room at the end of the month and he did not specially state which rooms were going to have dogs and which won't. He would just put in a "request" for a non dog Little Mermaid room. Seems as there is still conflicting info out there.

Virtually everything is conflicting, and that is on Disney for adding this with hardly any rules, no bookable category, CMs who give all different answers, CMs who are probably making up answers, maps that don't match words .............. Unfortunately for those booked and unable to change, this is going to be a wait and see.

What do we know for sure?
- Which resorts.
- How much it costs per day.
- Where all the Pet Relief areas are located.

That's about it, most other things they put in print are still vague and wishy-washy. That is how you get away with not committing to anything to the customers. We can't trust anything "said" to us, they are on spin control.

This whole thing saddens me. I have a different reason for not liking this in addition to all the excellent well thought out posters.
You see I have planned a surprise trip to our favorite resort POR for our 50th wedding anniversary in Feb. POR is special to us and we have many happy memories there. We have had. Trips with kids and grandkids. We have always loved the ambience of Por, the quiet and tranquillity of this special place. Now we are going to have to upgrade if we don't want a dog room for more money or change to another resort. Not so easy to do at this point in life. We love POR, no matter what the reason.
Shouldn't we be able to have our vacation where we want, without having the inconveniences which have been mentioned over and over again on here. Simple as that. We should all be able to do this for whatever reason. Now with these changes, I am saddened that our favorite resort has been targeted for this experiment. The very tranquil qualities of this resort have been important to us, not mention the beautiful pathways.
I will definitely be emailing wdw with a list of concerns.
I have stayed at the royal Pacifica resort at universal and never saw a dog. They have dedicated rooms and strict rules which they enforce. Not so,Disney. Their track record is not encouraging. Just look at the decline in housekeeping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter