Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ew. Wet dog and dog vomit.
That would be the least of my worries. I hope responsible dog owners also have their dogs wormed before bringing them to a resort. Another concern would be fleas and ticks...they can carry many different diseases. https://www.cdc.gov/dpdx/index.html

Will they treat the dog walk areas for fleas? Will there be signs warning kids to not play in that area? signs on the beach areas?

I'm still wondering what will happen if the only rooms available at those resorts are Dog rooms. Deep discount for guests without dogs? A free upgrade to another resort?

I still think this was not well thought out and will come to bite the execs in the rear. (pun intended)

One full year is NOT a trial.... It is Disney doing what they have decided to do without any consideration for their Guests - with what they hoped would be a minimal bit of backlash because it would "INITIALLY" effect only four resorts and... they did not provide advance notice so there would be very little chance that opposition could take place. This time next year they will announce the expansion of this policy to all Disney resorts claiming it was wildly successful and well received. It's all about $$$$$$$$$.

If the dogs aren't crated, I can't imagine housekeepers would be obligated to enter and clean the room. After all, is it their responsibility to ensure the dogs also don't escape through
the open door? I wouldn't think so.

I did read that housekeepers are not to enter the room if the dog is by itself.

One full year is NOT a trial.... It is Disney doing what they have decided to do without any consideration for their Guests - with what they hoped would be a minimal bit of backlash because it would "INITIALLY" effect only four resorts and... they did not provide advance notice so there would be very little chance that opposition could take place. This time next year they will announce the expansion of this policy to all Disney resorts claiming it was wildly successful and well received. It's all about $$$$$$$$$.
Yep.

I thought I read somewhere that the housekeepers were not allowed to enter if just the dog was present. I'm not sure where I read this. I may have dreamt it. Lol.
This policy was posted on the POR facts thread and I copied it over to this thread. That was several pages ago. ;)

In case anyone is interested, this is a copy of the letter I am sending to guest relations, Bob Iger, Robert Chapek and George Kalogridis.
Feel free to make your concerns known if this bothers/affects you as well.

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com
robert.a.iger@disney.com
Robert.Chapek@disney.com
george.kalogridis@disney.com

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing to express my shock, concern and anger regarding the newly-announced plan to welcome dogs at the Walt Disney World Resort.

I am a relatively new Disney Parks customer. I first visited the Walt Disney World Resort in October 2016, and my next visit in two weeks will be my third in a year's time. I have fallen in love with the Parks and the Resorts. They have been a welcome retreat from the "real world", and my plans have been to continue to visit annually at a minimum and hopefully much more often and to consider purchasing DVC ownership.

However, this newly announced policy/trial has given pause to my decision to stay on-property at all. I have already had to move my 2018 reservation away from Port Orleans Riverside due to this. My husband has a strong aversion to dogs along with a medical need to avoid them and any area they have been. I do not personally suffer from allergies to or fear of dogs, but I could only imagine if I did or if I had a child who did. If that were the case, you would be receiving a much more harshly-worded letter.

If this policy remains, I will no longer book stays at WDW Resorts. The decision to implement this with only 48 hours notice is a slap in the face to your customers, most of whom are forced, due to your other policies regarding dining and booking, to plan at least 6 months in advance. If I were staying at one of the directly-affected resorts on my upcoming stay in 2 weeks, I would be FURIOUS!

I choose to spend my hard-earned money to stay on-site at Disney World for the peace, service, theming and escape from the "real world" the Resorts provide. When I am on vacation at Walt Disney World, I do not want to see, hear or smell anyone else's pet! Not in my room, not in my building, not at my resort.

Expand the existing kennel, build a new kennel or even better: build an exclusive resort just for pets and their owners. But don't force them on the rest of us! The vast majority of other Disney guests I have spoken to agree that this is an awful idea. Please search social media and online forums where your customers have expressed their concerns regarding this matter.

Disney has a duty to ensure the safety, health, well-being and comfort of ALL GUESTS staying at its resorts. This new policy endangers all of those and will damage your relationship with your customers in the long run beyond the worth of any temporary financial gain.

I urge you to take the time to consider them and to do what is best for us all by DISCONTINUING THIS POLICY/TRIAL.

Wow. Pets can't be left alone for more than 7 hours???? That's crazy!

At least at the Loews resorts, the agreement states that pets must be supervised in the hotel room at all times.
That is a huge difference!

Lots of dogs (not all) being left that long WILL bark (have witnessed this at the FW campground with dogs in RVs.

While I appreciate the input the comments that they leave their pets alone in room, in crates or not, is against Loews policy. If they catch you they remove the pets and charge you per hour to babysit them. This is what we are going to find with Disney ... folks not following the rules.

Here it is straight from Loew's Pet Policy .... wonder why Disney opted to be so lax with their rules compared to other hotels.
- Pets should be supervised at all times while in the hotel or on the property. You have been provided with a list of local pet sitting services which can be arranged for you through the hotel’s concierge. Since these services are not provided by Loews Hotels we cannot be held responsible for any pet service engaged by you.
- A $10 per hour “time out” fee is assessed by Loews Hotels if a pet is left unattended and needs to be removed from a guestroom.

Yes, at least they have rules in place. How many people go to Disney just to sit in the room with their Fluffy? The yappers especially tend to yap (again, not all) when their owners are not present.

What about dog drool...

This! A family relative has three boxers that travel with them, and boy do they drool - would be disgusting in a hotel room. And, yes, some people will be willing to pay any price to have them stay at the hotel.

I do not want dogs near me at Disney, (or anywhere) and always avoid the few I see. Our small dd was attacked on her cheek in our front yard by neighborhood children's dog. It was very traumatic - she is fine today - we are not! She has a scar today - was young, and doesn't remember it, but it's one of a parent's nightmares to happen - Drs visit, a weeks total misery, then additional healing. I don't hate dogs - just don't want them close.

Did you pay to switch? I was told there is nothing that they can do for us and that they put a note on our reservation to not be near the dogs but now others have said dogs will be allowed in whatever rooms not just a section.
When I called yesterday the CM told me that they weren’t taking requests for non dog rooms because there were only so many allotted, and normal guests would not have to worry about it. Now I’m wondering if I spoke with one of those nondisney agents they have.

Lots of dogs (not all) being left that long WILL bark (have witnessed this at the FW campground with dogs in RVs.

Yes, at least they have rules in place. How many people go to Disney just to sit in the room with their Fluffy? The yappers especially tend to yap (again, not all) when their owners are not present.

This! A family relative has three boxers that travel with them, and boy do they drool - would be disgusting in a hotel room. And, yes, some people will be willing to pay any price to have them stay at the hotel.

I do not want dogs near me at Disney, (or anywhere) and always avoid the few I see. Our small dd was attacked on her cheek in our front yard by neighborhood children's dog. It was very traumatic - she is fine today - we are not! She has a scar today - was young, and doesn't remember it, but it's one of a parent's nightmares to happen - Drs visit, a weeks total misery, then additional healing. I don't hate dogs - just don't want them close.

This is how I feel. I also think this policy could be extended to other resorts as well. Not sure of the impact on housekeeping as it is kind of sketchy at best right now, i.e. understaffed, long time to wait for room to be cleaned.

I liked the above letter, but would love something added in about ticks. Lyme disease is no joke and they hitch a ride into homes on animals. Do not like the thought of sleeping on a bed or pillow where a dog was sleeping.

Anyone considering moving offsite because of this, please check the pet policy at whatever hotel you pick....many hotel chains have pet-friendly policies now.

Since it’s only certain resorts, I don’t see the big deal. If you don’t like dogs or are allergic or whatever the issue is, don’t stay there. I will not bring my dog every trip, but I like the option. I have had tough choices to make about going on trips when I had elderly dogs or dogs with chronic conditions that would not do well boarding. I always said wdw should have at least one pet friendly hotel & that they could charge a good bit b/c there are ppl willing to pay that for that privilege.
Some are families of 5. As such we are already limited in hotel choice. If you want to avoid these pet hotels they’ve just eliminated 1/2 mods & 1/2 values from your list of possibilities.

To be fair, they should alternate - dog friendly bus, allergy friendly bus, dog friendly bus, etc. Then there would be equal opportunity to wait, just based on your timing. But is anyone deep cleaning the buses between dog runs? If not, then it's a moot point, as the allergens would be constantly present anyway unless they kept bus routes completely separate as dog and non dog.
Yes, so if a guest who has allergies/asthma arrives and a guest arrives with a dog, the guest with a dog is given preferential treatment because Disney is not asking or telling the guest with the dog to wait.

In case anyone is interested, this is a copy of the letter I am sending to guest relations, Bob Iger, Robert Chapek and George Kalogridis.
Feel free to make your concerns known if this bothers/affects you as well.

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com
robert.a.iger@disney.com
Robert.Chapek@disney.com
george.kalogridis@disney.com

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing to express my shock, concern and anger regarding the newly-announced plan to welcome dogs at the Walt Disney World Resort.

I am a relatively new Disney Parks customer. I first visited the Walt Disney World Resort in October 2016, and my next visit in two weeks will be my third in a year's time. I have fallen in love with the Parks and the Resorts. They have been a welcome retreat from the "real world", and my plans have been to continue to visit annually at a minimum and hopefully much more often and to consider purchasing DVC ownership.

However, this newly announced policy/trial has given pause to my decision to stay on-property at all. I have already had to move my 2018 reservation away from Port Orleans Riverside due to this. My husband has a strong aversion to dogs along with a medical need to avoid them and any area they have been. I do not personally suffer from allergies to or fear of dogs, but I could only imagine if I did or if I had a child who did. If that were the case, you would be receiving a much more harshly-worded letter.

If this policy remains, I will no longer book stays at WDW Resorts. The decision to implement this with only 48 hours notice is a slap in the face to your customers, most of whom are forced, due to your other policies regarding dining and booking, to plan at least 6 months in advance. If I were staying at one of the directly-affected resorts on my upcoming stay in 2 weeks, I would be FURIOUS!

I choose to spend my hard-earned money to stay on-site at Disney World for the peace, service, theming and escape from the "real world" the Resorts provide. When I am on vacation at Walt Disney World, I do not want to see, hear or smell anyone else's pet! Not in my room, not in my building, not at my resort.

Expand the existing kennel, build a new kennel or even better: build an exclusive resort just for pets and their owners. But don't force them on the rest of us! The vast majority of other Disney guests I have spoken to agree that this is an awful idea. Please search social media and online forums where your customers have expressed their concerns regarding this matter.

Disney has a duty to ensure the safety, health, well-being and comfort of ALL GUESTS staying at its resorts. This new policy endangers all of those and will damage your relationship with your customers in the long run beyond the worth of any temporary financial gain.

I urge you to take the time to consider them and to do what is best for us all by DISCONTINUING THIS POLICY/TRIAL.
I will be both writing and calling voicing my protest over this policy.

This is a horrible idea...... people are going to want to bring their dogs along,and then want to go out to parks all day? who's watching the dogs? who's cleaning up after them? who's got allergies and can't stay there now? I wouldn't want my barking dogs in a hotel room,that's for sure....people are going to look at this as a money saver thing and do it all wrong by leaving them in the room all day- how does housekeeping get in and clean with loose dogs?

Resorts are already well booked. It will be months before enough pet owners are able to plan trips and get reservations for us to have any idea how this will pan out. I see virtually no dog issues reported on the Universal Hotel Boards.

Suggestion. Virtually everyone has a smart phone. You see an uncrated dog on a DME bus. Take a picture of the dog, driver and bus number. Dog barking is bothering you call and complain. 20 minutes later call back and escalate.

I suspect this thread is much about nothing. I don't see very many guests bringing Fido. The trial is one resort in each category. Book a different resort if you have an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter