Trouble with explaining my sadness.

I actually decided to listen to it today, since I still had it as well. I listened to it at the gym this afternoon, and I was afraid I'd break down and cry in public.

Instead, I found myself smiling and laughing even more than normal (making everyone around me think I was a bit "touched"), remembering all of the joy he brought to all of our lives. As I read all of the tributes (and finally stop just lurking), I occasionally well up, but I really try to remember the positives. We've all suffered a loss (not nearly as much as the Varleys and the 'crew), but we've had such a gift in our lives.

Once again, RIP Bawb.

I'm use to getting the "touched" look ;) It's impossible to listen to the DIS podcast and not laugh. Such a bunch of characters!

And I agree with you about trying to remember the positives and being happy that we had the time listening to our friend that we did.

Not only is it hard to explain the sadness, I think it's really hard to believe that it really happened. I listened to the rest of the email show today, and the first voice I heard was Bob's. I was in the middle of an old podcast, and when I continued, Bob was in the middle of saying something. I know Bob through the podcasts, and I still hear him, so it's hard to grasp that he is really not with us anymore.

I walked into my friends office today, also my boss, and she said "hi" I just broke down....I found out this morning...she was the first person I talked to since I found out. I just cried, cried so hard, I couldn't talk.

I have cried all day...at T-ball practice tonight a friend came up to me and said I looked I had been crying all day and I told her I had, she got it, she knows my love for the Pod Crew, I told her all about the meet in December....I just feel like I lost my best friend....

In many ways the Dis Team, my Dis friends, Bob are always there....when no one else is available, when I am sad or having a bad day, they are there.

As I have reflected today my Dis Friends are there for me more than any of my real life friends. No matter what time of day, I can turn on the computer and there you are.

On nights when I can't sleep I listen to the podcast....old shows...new shows...They are there...that is what a friendship is, being there.

So the new level of virtual friendships is just as powerful as real friends. It is hard to express. Or you feel crazy for being so sad.

I told my DS7 and DS5 who loves Bob, they were looking forward to his new star wars kahrt kam. My DS7 said "Bob was with Walt Disney, John Lennon and Abraham Lincoln" Odd combination...but it was cute. My DS4 wants to go find him, because his friends need him.

So I am back to crying now....Thanks for being there guys.

I actually decided to listen to it today, since I still had it as well. I listened to it at the gym this afternoon, and I was afraid I'd break down and cry in public.

Instead, I found myself smiling and laughing even more than normal (making everyone around me think I was a bit "touched"), remembering all of the joy he brought to all of our lives. As I read all of the tributes (and finally stop just lurking), I occasionally well up, but I really try to remember the positives. We've all suffered a loss (not nearly as much as the Varleys and the 'crew), but we've had such a gift in our lives.

Once again, RIP Bawb.

I actually still had both shows to listen to and decided to sit down and listen to both today. It was kinda sad the first couple of minutes but as the show went on it was easy to forget that he was gone. It was one of those really funny shows too. I kinda felt a pang when the crew was teasing Bawb about his coughing and Julie actually said that Bawb wasn't feeling well. I'm sure whatever was ailing Bawb that day was minor as this was taped over a week ago. From what I can understand, whatever he succumbed to came upon him quickly. It was great listening to his final shows though. It's also comforting to know I have many, many shows to listen to whenever I'm missin' Bawb. I'm sure Diana and the rest of Bawb's 'family' feel the same way.

Add me to the list too. I recently sat and listened to all the shows when I was home sick. It is still so hard to understand. My husband did "get" it though. He even asked if we were sending flowers. So that was nice of him. We will probably send something to the team and a donation like Diana requested though. Having lost both my parents fairly young I can relate. It is just so heartbreaking and brings back alot of memories. Oh well enough of my vent. So yeah I understand where you are coming from.

I too am glad someone posted this thread. It is so hard to explain to non Podcast DISers what a loss this is for the Podcast community, the Varley family and the Podcast crew.

I have not listened to the last two Podcasts yet, not sure about that yet

Would insert crying mickey but don't know how :-(

bawb.jpg

I have never reacted this way to anyone's death I didn't know personally. Bob seemed like such a lovely man . . .

I feel the exact same way. Bob just seemed like such a nice man.

I think we all feel sad because Bob was someone you felt you could trust. You heard him once a week talking about whatever the discussion was with his stories and he made you laugh. I am in tears and yes I too think why am I crying over a man I didn't know in person. But even if I didn't know him in person I knew he was the friendly voice that I have listened to for the past two years. I knew that if I did meet him in the parks he would actually talk to me. Bob shared his stories with the Dis Unplugged community and he has become a part of our lives in one way or another. When the podcast does return (which I expect will be a while) there will be an emptiness because that voice will not be heard. We will all feel sad together and no it is not silly to cry or be upset at all.

In many ways the Dis Team, my Dis friends, Bob are always there....when no one else is available, when I am sad or having a bad day, they are there.

As I have reflected today my Dis Friends are there for me more than any of my real life friends. No matter what time of day, I can turn on the computer and there you are.

On nights when I can't sleep I listen to the podcast....old shows...new shows...They are there...that is what a friendship is, being there.

So the new level of virtual friendships is just as powerful as real friends. It is hard to express. Or you feel crazy for being so sad.

So I am back to crying now....Thanks for being there guys.

I feel exactly the same, i told my DBF, and my two best friends at uni about Bawb, and none of them really understood. One of them let me talk about it for a while and my DBF said it must be hard, but they didn't really understand.

No one at University understands why i am on these boards or the podcasts so much, or why they are so important to me. To me they are more than just talking about Disney, they are a way of making kindred spirits and for once being 'in on the joke'.

When i have the rough times, the Dis has always been there for me, the podcasts are still the only way i can get on a train and feel somewhat relaxed.

Bawb meant so much to me, as do all of the podcast team, as he was that link with the magic i only get every 4 years (being a Brit). So thank you guys and the podcast crew, and my love and best wishes during this hard time.

:sad1:

After my DH told me that he had been reading about the Bawb stories/memories and he asked me how I felt. I told him I just felt bummed and saddened all day due to Bawb's passing last night . I told him that while I really enjoy the entire Podcast Crew I will admit that Bawb is my favorite. I told him that I loved the way Bawb was start in on a story and just go on and on. My DH laughed and said "kinda like you do?". I also loved his quirkiness and ability to laugh at himself.

The outpouring of comments from people that never physically met Bawb is a testament to his personality and warm nature.

How's everyone doing today?

I have managed to pull myself together a bit and haven't started crying (yet!). There's been a couple of close calls while going through some of the threads -- but I'm trying to celebrate Bob's life, instead of mourn his death, as I feel that's what he would have wanted...afterall, wasn't the Happiest Place On Earth one of Bob's favorite things? (Oh dear, now I think I'm going to make myself cry.)

Anyone else having trouble with explaining why you are so sad over the loss of someone you never met? My DH tried to understand, but I could tell he didn't really "get it." I guess Bob always came across as such a "real" person over the podcast. i know for me the Podcast is like a weekly visit with friends. I hope the team is doing OK! Am I even making any sense?

Same here, and I don't deal well with family/friend losses to begin with....So this one really threw me for a loop, as I'm not even sure how to deal with it myself. Well, at least I've got the boards and know y'all "get it" :)

I have managed to pull myself together a bit and haven't started crying (yet!). There's been a couple of close calls while going through some of the threads -- but I'm trying to celebrate Bob's life, instead of mourn his death, as I feel that's what he would have wanted...afterall, wasn't the Happiest Place On Earth one of Bob's favorite things? (Oh dear, now I think I'm going to make myself cry.)

I agree completely - I will listen to the old Podcasts with a smile for the wonderful humor (both by Bob and at Bob!) and this September, I will raise a Dole Whip in honor of Bob! :hug:

I'm okay, but still very sad for everyone. I plan on cleaning the house today and listening to the podcasts from the beginning. I'm not going to cry anymore, but be thankful for the laughs Bawb has given me.

I was doing better until I saw the thread of Corey's favorite pictures of Bob, then I lost it again.

I am actually out of town, in Niagara Falls with my mom and sister for a girls trip. We ate at the Rain Forest Cafe last night (reminds me of Disney, as we always eat at the one at DTD) and my sister brought up our upcoming trip in October and I just started crying because I had been looking forward to looking for Bob and Kaht Kam on that trip. :sad1:

I couldn't possibly add more to this...everyone has been so eloquent...I just wanted to say thank you for speaking up and starting this thread.

I'm the only Disneyphile in my family and nobody gets THAT...they really wouldn't understand why I'm so upset about the passing of Bob. I really have just kept to myself today and asked them to just let me be.

How losing Bob could feel so personal, I just don't know, but it does...

I agree with many of the previous sentiments. I think that we all hold Disney near and dear to us, and Bob (along with the podcast team) represented that love for Disney. If I can't be at the parks each day, at least I could experience them through the eyes and ears of another true Disney fan. This DIS family has allowed my love of Disney to grow, and I didn't even think that was possible. Thanks to the podcast team, and especially to Bob, for doing that for me. I think we feel close to them because we share something that we all love very much.

Despite not knowing him, I am so sad to hear of his passing. He was the heart of the podcast team.

I couldn't possibly add more to this...everyone has been so eloquent...I just wanted to say thank you for speaking up and starting this thrad.

I'm the only Disneyphobe in my family and nobody gets THAT...they really wouldn't understand why I'm so upset about the passing of Bob. I really have just kept to myself today and asked them to just let me be.

How losing Bob could feel so personal, I just don't know, but it does...

Robin I totally understand that thought. I think the Disney community especially is very tight knit. We throw around words a lot like "The Disney Gene" and if you stop to examine that thought, "What is the Disney Gene?" To me it means going above and beyond, being there for your fellow man, recognizing your role in the greater good, and extending joy to others around you. Bob was all of those things and so much more.

Robin I totally understand that thought. I think the Disney community especially is very tight knit. We throw around words a lot like "The Disney Gene" and if you stop to examine that thought, "What is the Disney Gene?" To me it means going above and beyond, being there for your fellow man, recognizing your role in the greater good, and extending joy to others around you. Bob was all of those things and so much more.

Thank you Amy! You're so right!

(And I just realized I wrote Disney PHOBE...geesh, I'm really not myself...going back to edit.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter