UK-US travel, 2021/2022

So yet another change as expected.Not sure where we are going to get a test done in the US to come back but im sure that will be worked out. Don't understand what happens if for instance you've finished your holiday take a test the day of your flight, test positive and with it being Xmas / New Year do you hope you can find a hotel to isolate in? Do you have to inform them your isolating? Or do you just camp your family out on the streets as you cant come back into the UK?

I know as stated by Plague there will probably be an update but it just feels like another half cocked idea / attempt at a solution and they don't really have a solution that will work.

Wondering if I have a PCR test pre departure then why do I need another paid PCR on day 2. It just seems like a chance to force people to spend more. Next they will say you need a PCR to fly home, then quarantine in a hotel, then take 3 more PCR tests and we will just call it £5k pp. I know its better to be safe than sorry but they may aswell just turn round and say please be prepared to pay a lot more money to be able to go away.

Not a sob story but we booked the holiday over 18 months ago have moved it 4 times have incurred losses each time, had to pay a lot more for the holiday, now having to pay for tests left right and centre. I have been made redundant in between all this (thankfully I will be starting a job in the New Year) but I only have a set amount of disposable income so do I cancel the holiday and lose thousands or do I go hoping they don't force me to quarantine coming back and paying thousands I don't have.

This is not to blame anyone as its a pandemic and is volatile but you cant keep slapping costs on people.

Agreed, I've had quite the 2 year old tantrum over all this tonight. However we are lucky that we've had some notice, and aren't on holiday having to deal with arrangements.
Like you, we've moved the holiday 3 times. We were originally going August 2020. And each time the cost has increased.
We are booked with ATD for next August. I'm not booking flight until at least June!

Agreed, I've had quite the 2 year old tantrum over all this tonight. However we are lucky that we've had some notice, and aren't on holiday having to deal with arrangements.
Like you, we've moved the holiday 3 times. We were originally going August 2020. And each time the cost has increased.
We are booked with ATD for next August. I'm not booking flight until at least June!
I can cope with the testing, it is what it is I just don't have unlimited funds and don't want to have to cancel this end up not going and being a few thousand down.
I cant afford to be forced into a situation where we could be looking at thousands to isolate here or in the UK. If they said its up to your travel insurance to pay for stuff if you have to quarantine then fair enough. Im not sure how we stand with Insurance if we are forced to stay in the US due to a positive test.

Totally agree about the poor people who are out there and have all this to sort to get home, its just added pressure. Hopefully nobody falls foul of all this and end up in a situation they cant get out of.

Lots of reports of expensive testing over in the US $89 for LFT and $149 for PCR pp.

By the time we've finished will be around £400 in tests alone. (Situation quickly getting out of hand).

Hope all those that are going to be coming back get sorted and feel for them :(

Wondering if I have a PCR test pre departure then why do I need another paid PCR on day 2.
Pre-departure is to check if you caught it over there and day 2 after is to check if you caught it at the airport(s) or on the plane. :)
But it's all moot because ... [and I'll stop there because I don't want to get moderated :scared: ]

In a few weeks time when they have more data on Omicron and it's become common everywhere they may well relax again, though that's obviously no help to people returning before that happens.

Lots of reports of expensive testing over in the US $89 for LFT and $149 for PCR pp.

By the time we've finished will be around £400 in tests alone. (Situation quickly getting out of hand).

Hope all those that are going to be coming back get sorted and feel for them :(

Easy to get free testing at pharmacies like Walgreens and CVS. PCR harder to find for cheap but there are free molecular tests that are readily available (I’ve not looked at the exact UK requirements since they seem to be in flux).

The Canadian board has some useful threads.

Easy to get free testing at pharmacies like Walgreens and CVS. PCR harder to find for cheap but there are free molecular tests that are readily available (I’ve not looked at the exact UK requirements since they seem to be in flux).

The Canadian board has some useful threads.
That would be good and they offer the correct paperwork we will require?

Pre-departure is to check if you caught it over there and day 2 after is to check if you caught it at the airport(s) or on the plane. :)
But it's all moot because ... [and I'll stop there because I don't want to get moderated :scared: ]

In a few weeks time when they have more data on Omicron and it's become common everywhere they may well relax again, though that's obviously no help to people returning before that happens.
Yep get that but then in reality we can take the test 2 days before flying back so yet again we could catch it between the test and getting on the plane anyway. Its just silly really makes absolute zero sense to me.

If you were tested before boarding then 2 days after landing (after QT) then that I could understand, but if I test on a Monday go to the parks then board a plane on Tuesday to come home what does the test offer except that I didn't have it Monday?

I get the idea it just doesn't make any difference we will be testing regular while we are away and would have probably taken a test before coming home (I know too many won't give a damn about testing while a way, and that's where the issue lies)

Yep get that but then in reality we can take the test 2 days before flying back so yet again we could catch it between the test and getting on the plane anyway. Its just silly really makes absolute zero sense to me.
With an incubation period of anything between 1 and 14 days any set testing regime is going to be imperfect.
At my son's office they all test twice a week (ie. every 3-4 days), so I suppose this achieves a similar coverage like the 2 and 8 days after arrival does for the unvaccinated. In that regard it makes some sense to me.

As far as delaying the arrival in the UK of Omicron and/or reducing our infection rates goes, no I don't see how it would help in any meaningful way.

With an incubation period of anything between 1 and 14 days any set testing regime is going to be imperfect.
At my son's office they all test twice a week (ie. every 3-4 days), so I suppose this achieves a similar coverage like the 2 and 8 days after arrival does for the unvaccinated. In that regard it makes some sense to me.

As far as delaying the arrival in the UK of Omicron and/or reducing our infection rates goes, no I don't see how it would help in any meaningful way.
So again lets be honest its of no real help at all. Like I said if I don't have it when I test but do when I board what actual difference has me having the test had (absolutely none at all)

Test me before I board the plane makes more sense but just isn't possible.

I know its not as simple as that but it all comes down to people doing the right things and unfortunately a vast majority of people won't, so yet again people willing to do things to keep themselves and others safe are punished.

Something like this that can be caught absolutely anywhere makes this sort of testing futile. Its box ticking on a huge scale, if it stops someone from getting it all well and good but the times between testing and boarding are just pointless.

Nothing we can do but wait till we hear the full extent, but say they come out with well if your positive you have to QT in the US, does that mean that every traveller needs to be able to possibly spend another $10k (family of 4).

What if you don't have that money are they expecting you and your family to camp outside the airport? You cant say to people you cant go away now unless you have a substantial amount of contingency money.

of course I have no doubt travel insurance policies won't cover these sort of amounts.

Testing is all good and well if it has the desired effect but testing for the sake of testing is counter productive.

Its also a bit daft that children under 12 don't have to do a test before coming home. From what I've read they've been the super spreaders recently

Testing is all good and well if it has the desired effect but testing for the sake of testing is counter productive.
I agree, but that's getting political, etc, so I'll stop there.

of course I have no doubt travel insurance policies won't cover these sort of amounts.
It ought to if you've chosen the right policy, but of course many just grab the cheapest policy the meerkats offer and don't check these things.

Its also a bit daft that children under 12 don't have to do a test before coming home. From what I've read they've been the super spreaders recently
I'm not sure they class as super-spreaders - it's a bit more nuanced really. The Zoe study shows that children are far and away the largest proportion of UK infections (which isn't really a surprise) and that there is a correlation from them to the age group that includes most parents. But there doesn't appear to be much 'leakage' into young adults and the older generations. I'd say they (children) were more of a constant background 'radiation'.

So yes, not testing them seems strange.

I agree, but that's getting political, etc, so I'll stop there.
yeah I suppose we better be careful what is said as usual :(

It ought to if you've chosen the right policy, but of course many just grab the cheapest policy the meerkats offer and don't check these things.
Well I certainly didn't grab the cheapest :) but I get what your saying in my policy it doesn't cover regional quarantine. Covers just about everything else cancellation from getting covid etc. but I will argue the fact that I have a medical issue having covid etc :)

Being covered and getting them to pay out are unfortunately different things even if you have carefully selected cover, checked defaqto ratings etc... for example I had cruise insurance with a large reputable provider, paid extra for cruise cover and then extra again for missed port cover. They refused to pay out for a missed port because (as all cruise lines do in my experience) the cruise line refunded the port taxes for the missed port. It only got paid out when we got into talking about getting the ombudsman involved and even then only after a couple of letters from the cruise line explaining that no compensation had been paid, only the port taxes. So you will at least need the liquidity to cover the expenses until you get them to pay out, if indeed you do.

Being covered and getting them to pay out are unfortunately different things even if you have carefully selected cover, checked defaqto ratings etc... for example I had cruise insurance with a large reputable provider, paid extra for cruise cover and then extra again for missed port cover. They refused to pay out for a missed port because (as all cruise lines do in my experience) the cruise line refunded the port taxes for the missed port. It only got paid out when we got into talking about getting the ombudsman involved and even then only after a couple of letters from the cruise line explaining that no compensation had been paid, only the port taxes. So you will at least need the liquidity to cover the expenses until you get them to pay out, if indeed you do.
Agree insurance company will try whatever they can to get out of paying so no matter what cover you have there is no guarantee.

Ireland have just started the same test before flight requirement. I am making contingency plans in case the requirement is still in place before my trip at the end of January. If I don't get a negative result and have to stay in LA, I plan to book into a motel, and get food delivery's, both from a grocery shop and from take away places . I have stayed in motels before in LA and I know which ones have a microwave and fridge. I will be able to work during this extra week and I have the money to pay for this extra week in LA if I have to. Staying in a motel means I will be able to go outside but still make sure I am isolating and I can make sure that food deliveries are left outside my door so that I don't have contact with the delivery person.

I know I am in a very lucky position to be able to have this contingency plan, I am a solo traveler and as long as I have my laptop and internet access I can work from anywhere, in any timezone.

These types of contingency plans are not viable for most people but this is how travel will be for the next while.

Ireland have just started the same test before flight requirement. I am making contingency plans in case the requirement is still in place before my trip at the end of January. If I don't get a negative result and have to stay in LA, I plan to book into a motel, and get food delivery's, both from a grocery shop and from take away places . I have stayed in motels before in LA and I know which ones have a microwave and fridge. I will be able to work during this extra week and I have the money to pay for this extra week in LA if I have to. Staying in a motel means I will be able to go outside but still make sure I am isolating and I can make sure that food deliveries are left outside my door so that I don't have contact with the delivery person.

I know I am in a very lucky position to be able to have this contingency plan, I am a solo traveler and as long as I have my laptop and internet access I can work from anywhere, in any timezone.

These types of contingency plans are not viable for most people but this is how travel will be for the next while.

Thats quite lucky but I would suspect a huge proportion of travellers won't have that luxury. It would be nice if the government helped a little or people weren't profiteering off the whole pandemic.

Insurance companies could also help im sure they are quite happy they've raised the prices but don't want to pay out any more than before.

I will do whatever I can but if its me that ends up having to quarantine my family will go home and I will stay wherever I can be it buying a tent to camp out then so be it :)

Lets be honest if I don't have the money they cant force me to do something they will simply have to arrest me and put me in a cell :)

On the other hand if its anyone else in my family then I will find a way to make sure they get a motel / hotel.

in my policy it doesn't cover regional quarantine.
Ouch.
When researching my trip to the Canaries a couple of months ago I noticed that they (the Canaries) actually give all visitors free insurance and assistance against having to quarantine while there should your insurance not cover it or fall short. (But I made sure my trip insurance covered it anyway when I bought it.)
Visitors are obviously important to them.
Disney/USA ... not so much I guess :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter