Unauthorized Disney Merchandise

N

nw6675

Anyone else following the Disney lawsuit against the husband and wife making and selling unauthorized Disney ears? Sorry if this has already been posted - I don't recall seeing one. I assume it is ok to discuss.

I understand Disney's position, but there are SO MANY selling copyrighted/trademarked knock off merchandise, I don't know how they could prevent them all.

Anyone else following the Disney lawsuit against the husband and wife making and selling unauthorized Disney ears? Sorry if this has already been posted - I don't recall seeing one. I assume it is ok to discuss.

I understand Disney's position, but there are SO MANY selling copyrighted/trademarked knock off merchandise, I don't know how they could prevent them all.
Everyone else takes a cease and desist letter to heart. These two took it very very far. He got no trespassed from MK today. The order extends to all WDW property.

Amusingly he may find Florida has a pretty strong counterfeit goods law. I forgot how many units but $20,000 or more is a felony. With years of jail time. Disney's civil suit should provide evidence for a criminal trial. Frankly I haven't been this entertained in a while.

Frankly I haven't been this entertained in a while.
Same! It brought on lots of discussion with DH. I used to follow them on FB for curiosity's sake - until they kept getting shut down and changing group names.

Thanks for sharing the penalties info. We figured volume had a lot to do with their case.

Wow, this is interesting, Like how do they even choose where to start to sue.... there are huge amounts of people who sell Disney inspired products on Etsy, it is literally a complete underground economy, fueled by WDW: Mickey ears, 3D printed items, jewelry for pick a pearl, handmade Kyber crystal necklaces, all kinds of themed clothing for kids and adults, run Disney gear, hand crocheted droid and Grogru hats, accessories for droids.... you can kill hours looking at all the cool stuff. When we have a trip coming up, I prefer either making my own ears or buying off Etsy myself, better quality and usually a small business person making it by hand.

Wow, this is interesting, Like how do they even choose where to start to sue.... there are huge amounts of people who sell Disney inspired products on Etsy, it is literally a complete underground economy, fueled by WDW: Mickey ears, 3D printed items, jewelry for pick a pearl, handmade Kyber crystal necklaces, all kinds of themed clothing for kids and adults, run Disney gear, hand crocheted droid and Grogru hats, accessories for droids.... you can kill hours looking at all the cool stuff. When we have a trip coming up, I prefer either making my own ears or buying off Etsy myself, better quality and usually a small business person making it by hand.
i have mix feelings about this also. On one hand Disney has all the rights but almost all their products are made overseas. The Etsy products are generally made in the US by a small american business. So if you want to support American products what do you do?

Unfortunately, yes. It’s all over FB.
Well, these two were the most widely known.
Same! It brought on lots of discussion with DH. I used to follow them on FB for curiosity's sake - until they kept getting shut down and changing group names.

Thanks for sharing the penalties info. We figured volume had a lot to do with their case.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the groups either get deleted, paused, or handed over to another person. Plus they made the 2nd group after all of this started to “lay low”, then brazenly changed the purpose (and perhaps name) to purely peddle their wares.
i have mix feelings about this also. On one hand Disney has all the rights but almost all their products are made overseas. The Etsy products are generally made in the US by a small american business. So if you want to support American products what do you do?
That’s why most Ear sellers stay purely on Etsy.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the groups either get deleted, paused, or handed over to another person. Plus they made the 2nd group after all of this started to “lay low”, then brazenly changed the purpose (and perhaps name) to purely peddle their wares.
The new one is at least the 3rd. His first "secret" group with the most followers got shut down by FB so a second "secret" was set up. He replaced it with the Sparkle Dreams or whatever it is called. I was a member of the first two until the posts and arrogance got on my nerves. 😃

The new one is at least the 3rd. His first "secret" group with the most followers got shut down by FB so a second "secret" was set up.
Oh, right! I forgot about that.
He replaced it with the Sparkle Dreams or whatever it is called. I was a member of the first two until the posts and arrogance got on my nerves. 😃
Yeah, they kinda acted weird. It was like odd and the other admins and mods were like normal.

Following. If what I’ve read is correct, these ppl were using actual Disney characters on the ears but even worse than that, they used the actual wdw address
I had not seen that about the. address. Wow!

On one hand Disney has all the rights but almost all their products are made overseas. The Etsy products are generally made in the US by a small american business. So if you want to support American products what do you do?
This has nothing to do with country of origin. This is simply to insure that Disney gets a license fee if somebody uses Disney IP for a profit.

OR they could try to have an original idea and not just leech off of someone else’s brand and work.

It's easy. If the seller, small business or not, is illegally selling counterfeit goods then what you do is not patronize that establishment.

Stupid games win stupid prizes. I got no problem with bootleg anything but as mentioned these guys are getting sued for arrogance more than anything else.
IP is a slippery slope when you consider how much publicly funded/ subsidized infrastructure is used in the process from design to POS.
And I would never vote to convict anyone who keeps cash and jobs local.
I grew up in Europe and the Middle East, knockoffs are a fact of life. Even worse when I traveled to poorer places.

Stupid games win stupid prizes. I got no problem with bootleg anything but as mentioned these guys are getting sued for arrogance more than anything else.
Yuuuup. Even on Facebook, they made their groups (especially the one that was set up for their shop) more about them than anything else.

Most products are made overseas. Plenty of small businesses to support who dont break copyright laws.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter