Universal + Harry Potter...It's Official!

I think it will start just past Sinbad with the walkthrough area. I think they will probably change the entrance to DD and the area will go in behind DD as well, where the parking lots are.. I think my son will probably try to photoshop it in after he comes home from school. I'll post his interpretation.

I was really impressed with the theming at IOA. But the Imagineers are in a completely different league. I would be surprised if this was a bidding situation.

I was really impressed with the theming at IOA. But the Imagineers are in a completely different league. I would be surprised if this was a bidding situation.
Many imagineers were fired way back when and those that weren't rarely come up with anything imaginative nowadays. Personally I'm glad that Disney didn't get it. Their forte is light childish fantasy while this should be a bit on the dark side IMO.

Three rides? I hope that they'll include a dark ride in that. :banana:

I think it will start just past Sinbad with the walkthrough area. I think they will probably change the entrance to DD and the area will go in behind DD as well, where the parking lots are.. I think my son will probably try to photoshop it in after he comes home from school. I'll post his interpretation.

I would love to see that!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1469492
And so it begins.

Actually, many of the Universal planners are ex-imagineers.

I read that this new land will be 20 acres. Is it true that it will be a 7th land of IOA, or could it grow into something bigger like a seperate theme park with its own ticketed admission?

I also heard a rumor (just rumor) that a 4th on-site hotel themed around Potter will emerge. Anyone else heard this?

I read that this new land will be 20 acres. Is it true that it will be a 7th land of IOA, or could it grow into something bigger like a seperate theme park with its own ticketed admission?

I also heard a rumor (just rumor) that a 4th on-site hotel themed around Potter will emerge. Anyone else heard this?

It is being integrated, so it should not be a separate park.

Nothing has been said about a 4th hotel yet.

Although i am excited for this new project, i am kinda worried that Universal will mess up the LC. I love Dueling Dragons and the theming of the area around it. I hope that they dont totally change the theming of DD or I will be very sad!:sad2:

This is going to be Universal's killer app...what a huge coup for them.
I just hope they add some Diagon Alley-themed retail!

I agree that Universal/IOA has beautiful themeing. Dont get me wrong. But their follow thru/upkeep is what worries me. I went to the IOA when it was brand new, and have gone back several times since. Things seem dirty, broken, in need of paint and unkept.

Not to mention, Universal has no fast pass system. Oh wait. they do. If you want to shell out $50 on a busy day for it... I rarely go anymore, because I dont want to wait 2 hours to go on a ride.

They have no moderate or value hotels, so unless you want to shell out $250/night for hotel your stuck in something on I-drive...

its not that I think disney could have done it 'better'... Universals engineers are mostly former imagineers, I just dont think it works to be walking thru a park and see Marvel superheros, then Bullwinkle and cartoons, thru Jurassic park and then suddenly you're in hogsmeade? What happened to Diagon Alley? A MAJOR fantasy for fans.. riding the train to hogwarts... not gonna happen.

Im sure it will look cool... initially anyway, But I think JK rolling made a mistake.

I agree that Universal/IOA has beautiful themeing. Dont get me wrong. But their follow thru/upkeep is what worries me. I went to the IOA when it was brand new, and have gone back several times since. Things seem dirty, broken, in need of paint and unkept.

Not to mention, Universal has no fast pass system. Oh wait. they do. If you want to shell out $50 on a busy day for it... I rarely go anymore, because I dont want to wait 2 hours to go on a ride.

They have no moderate or value hotels, so unless you want to shell out $250/night for hotel your stuck in something on I-drive...

its not that I think disney could have done it 'better'... Universals engineers are mostly former imagineers, I just dont think it works to be walking thru a park and see Marvel superheros, then Bullwinkle and cartoons, thru Jurassic park and then suddenly you're in hogsmeade? What happened to Diagon Alley? A MAJOR fantasy for fans.. riding the train to hogwarts... not gonna happen.

Im sure it will look cool... initially anyway, But I think JK rolling made a mistake.

There is a train in the concept artwork.

Take a look from this angle

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...t=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3909181&encType=1

Compare this to the picture below ( next post ) with the owl flying overhead.

You can see, imho, how everything will line up compared to the picture with the owl flying overhead. The bridge in the top left of the pic lines up with the bridge there now in the sat map I linked (from that angle). If this was true, the gate shown under the owl would be in the middle of current LC with Fire and Ice off to the right and a row of shops built in front of them. The big new castle would be built on the empty space without trees at the back of the sat pic.

Also, they report 3 rides? If two are Fire/Ice and the Flying Unicorns I hope there will more than 1 new ride. As someone else mentioned, the theming is nice but shops alone won't get me too excited. Let's have some new rides! That said, I think Universal will get it right. Too much riding on it not to.

thats very strange since many Universal Creative employees WERE Imagineers.

If it was 1995 or before I might agree but recent history has shown that Universal's team is just as good as anything Disney has, IMO

db_press_hp_owl_view_8001.jpg

db_press_hp_hogwarts_800.jpg

db_press_hp_hogsmead_square_800.jpg

This should make a lot of people happy. Sounds like they are pulling resources from the movie making crew and incorporating Warner Brothers. The fact that they are adding this whole area is very impressive.

If the actual park looks anything like these pictures. I will be thrilled.

Wow! I'm not a Potter fan, but this looks awesome! I wonder how close the finished product will compare to these concept images?

I can see the castle for DD on the far right side, that doesn't look to have any major revisions. So, the Potter castle is new and probably going to house the new ride.

I don't see the Enchanted Oak. It looks like the shops on the left side of the image are taking over that space. Hopefully one of them will house a counter service restaurant that can live up to the Oaks reputation and character.

Another observation... looks like the Potter land begins right after Fire Eaters grill. It looks like the train is at the spot the Magic Fountain, Sinbad show occupies. So, LC will just be Mythos and PF? I'd really miss Mythos...

I only have one question...

When can I make reservations at Universal? I would LOVE to be at the park on opening day!!!

There is a train in the concept artwork.

I saw it in the concept art. There isnt enough space there (even with the parking lot) to have you embark on a train to take you to hogwarts, and ntm that would not fit into the theme it seems they are doing, which is Just hogwarts and the surrounding areas.

Unless it is a Casey Junior Sized train, and in that case why bother.

I have had a muggle license plate for years now.

so you can just imagine how thrilled i am about this!!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter