Universal Studios CA for 7 yr. old?

Gpaul

Earning My Ears
Hi again! Will our nearly 7 yr. old boy enjoy Universal Studios in California, or should we just stick to Disney and California Adventure?

La Brea Tar Pits, worthwhile for the 3 of us?

Gracias!

My son did not enjoy the full park experience when he was younger. A 7 year old will enjoy the character interaction, Shrek 4D, Nickelodion Splash Zone, Animal Planet Live. There were some freaked out smaller kids on the Studio Tour. They took out ET - which was great for little kids. Universal Studios Orlando does a much better job keeping the younger kids happy.

Whether your 7 year old likes the louder shows or heavy duty rides would be the key to whether it would be a good full day experience.

Frankly Sea World, Wild Animal Park, or Legoland might be a better choice for his age.

Are you familiar with Citypass?

Gpaul said:
Hi again! Will our nearly 7 yr. old boy enjoy Universal Studios in California, or should we just stick to Disney and California Adventure?

La Brea Tar Pits, worthwhile for the 3 of us?
Went to USH last summer, and my youngest boy had just turned 8. He loved it. He is REALLY into movies, although we restrict him to PG and G. We went on the tram tour, most of the rides, the soundstage and special effects tour (both musts), and watched the Waterworld stunt show (another must).

My (now) 9 year old is also into dinosaurs and prehistoric animals, and went to the tar pits when he was 6 or 7. He enjoyed that as well.

I think the answer depends on the kid. I think for some 7-year-olds both would be very worthwhile.

My kids were very bored!!! DH had a great time but the kids and I were very bored. Most of the cool rides are based on rated PG-13 or R movies and I won't let my kids ride something that I won't let them see at home. With that said we went when ET was there, that was the best ride in the park. We will not go back there on our next trip. I would rather go to Knotts and the kids would too. ::MinnieMo

Thanky! Methinks we'll do both USH and La Brea (get it out of our system, you know...)

So, to do both between 8AM-2PM, which one first/second?

Gracias!

I say go to Universal Studios first, and do everything there that you want to, then when you leave, stop at the La Brea Tarpits. I think it would be a minimum of an hour at the tarpits, especially if you go to the Page Museum located behind them. That museum holds the artifacts excavated from the tarpits.

Gpaul said:
Thanky! Methinks we'll do both USH and La Brea (get it out of our system, you know...)

So, to do both between 8AM-2PM, which one first/second?

Gracias!
Check the opening times; while we are there USH opens at 9:00.

Yep, Universal opens at 9. So, is 9am-1pm enough for taste of Universal (only kid stuff)?

Gpaul said:
Yep, Universal opens at 9. So, is 9am-1pm enough for taste of Universal (only kid stuff)?
If it was me, and I only had that much time, I would do the tram tour, stage tours and the waterworld stunt show. I'd skip the rides. You should be able to fit the above in.

Good call Hydro! Any idea how long a drive Universal-Tarpits, non rushhour?

I would skip USH completely...the price is terribly high to get driven thru a movie set...and there are no rides for smaller ones (hardly any rides, period)...nothing like the USOrlando. My kids called it "storeland" since it had nothing for them to see but a couple of stores.

Gpaul said:
Good call Hydro! Any idea how long a drive Universal-Tarpits, non rushhour?
My experience on recent trips is that there is no such thing as "non-rushhour" anymore in SoCal. Others who live in LA/Orange County can help here. I would allow for at least an hour drive, expecting some traffic.

HydroGuy said:
My experience on recent trips is that there is no such thing as "non-rushhour" anymore in SoCal. Others who live in LA/Orange County can help here. I would allow for at least an hour drive, expecting some traffic.

From DL to Universal count on an hour drive - from Universal to the La Brea Tarpits - early afternoon? Maybe half an hour or so. It's not really far. If you have time, you can also go past Mann's Chinese Theater, Rodeo Drive - it's in the same general vicinity as the La Brea Tarpits.

challada said:
I would skip USH completely...the price is terribly high to get driven thru a movie set...and there are no rides for smaller ones (hardly any rides, period)...nothing like the USOrlando. My kids called it "storeland" since it had nothing for them to see but a couple of stores.

How many concur with assessment for a nearly 7 yr. old?

Gpaul said:
How many concur with assessment for a nearly 7 yr. old?

Hello again! Down to the wire here. Told our son about Shrek and Animal Planet, got excited. But in reality, is USH worth 1 day for him?

We live in the area and could go anytime but are waiting till our youngest is about 10 to go. Our son would then be 10 and our daughter 12. It has been years since I have been but I think they would find most things there fairly frightening. I can't even get my son on the Haunted Mansion yet so we are holding off on Universal and considering it more of a teen thing. However, it would depend on your sons temperment. Also, is this your only chance ever probably or will you be back and perhaps you can catch it in a couple of years?

Thanks wackyw! He's pretty tough, and likes thrills, so I think he'll be okay. We probably won't be back here again, we live in the Caribbean and it's a trek. The thing is, we want to do something on 12/26 until around 4-5pm when we plan to drive to Sacramento to start my real reason for the trip: skiing in Tahoe and Mammoth until 1/10, then back to Disney for 1/11,12, avoiding the hordes! Universal should be decked out for Xmas, so it'll hopefully be "magic" in some way.

Wow! Sounds like an awesome trip! I am sure you will be able to find things to do there that you will enjoy and find some magic as well. Have a great time!

If he likes thrills, he probably would like the Jurassic Park river ride, and the Back to the Future simulator as well.

I'd try to do the tour, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, Shrek, and the Splash Zone.

If you have time, The Terminator show is very good, though it can be a bit scary and has gunfire and expolsions. Its a combination of live action and 3D.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter