Upsetting experience at SSR Spa

We just returned from a 5 night stay at SSR. No problems at all with the resort, the one-bedroom was in excellent shape and the property is beautiful. Anyway, since I have never had any spa experience before, I decided to schedule a facial.
When I arrived I was shown to the locker room and lounge and told to wait in the lounge until I was called in.
When the young lady doing the facial called me in, she was standing inside the door with two other young women. One of these women burst out laughing as soon as I walked in. Now I know many of you are going to say that she was probably laughing at something else at that moment but I don't think so. Sometimes you just know when someone is laughing at you. I was so shocked I was speechless. The women doing the facial directed me down the hall and everything was fine from that point on. However, the whole experience left me feeling very uncomfortable and I debated whether or not to speak to a manager. I know that I should have addressed this issue while there but I didn't want to dwell on it because I felt really bad about it. This was my first experience in a spa and I felt like I must have committed some type of "Spa Crime" to be treated like that. Or maybe I just don't look like the spa type?
Would love to hear opinions about this. Am I just being paranoid?

Was there any reason for her to laugh at you - were you naked, was your robe hanging open, did you have something stuck in your teeth?

Because I'm thinking three co-workers standing around waiting for a client were really most likely in the middle of a conversation and the laughter had nothing to do with you. If the person doing your facial had made any reference to it, I might think differently, but honestly, you know they see all kinds of people at the SSR spa - I really don't think they were laughing at you.

Then again, I wasn't there. Next time, it's up to you to say "What's so funny, girls?" and wait until you get an answer.

Dear -- "blushing in flushing"

I would not worry over this. Odds are that person was laughing at something else. You said the actual facial went well...I'd hold onto that thought and not onto a 'what could have been' by a possible idiot. Don't let this spoil your experience or willingness to try new things, especially if you enjoyed it! :)

I would say it was something else they were laughing at too, not you, and it was bad timing. Otherwise I think you wouldn't have had a good facial experience, there would have been some awkardness there (unless she was an awesome actress!)

We just returned from a 5 night stay at SSR. No problems at all with the resort, the one-bedroom was in excellent shape and the property is beautiful. Anyway, since I have never had any spa experience before, I decided to schedule a facial.
When I arrived I was shown to the locker room and lounge and told to wait in the lounge until I was called in.
When the young lady doing the facial called me in, she was standing inside the door with two other young women. One of these women burst out laughing as soon as I walked in. Now I know many of you are going to say that she was probably laughing at something else at that moment but I don't think so. Sometimes you just know when someone is laughing at you. I was so shocked I was speechless. The women doing the facial directed me down the hall and everything was fine from that point on. However, the whole experience left me feeling very uncomfortable and I debated whether or not to speak to a manager. I know that I should have addressed this issue while there but I didn't want to dwell on it because I felt really bad about it. This was my first experience in a spa and I felt like I must have committed some type of "Spa Crime" to be treated like that. Or maybe I just don't look like the spa type?
Would love to hear opinions about this. Am I just being paranoid?

Why would you even think they were laughing at you??? If it was just one person, I'd say yeah, but three women talking and then burst out laughing? I'd say they were laughing at something they were talking about.

I too went to the spa for the first time at SSR recently. It is a bit of a daunting expirience if its new for you. I felt uncomfortable and unsure of how things were supposed to happen. I can easily see you worrying about the laughter and if it was for you. I am a big girl and was worried that that would turn off the treatment person, but I got a hydrotherapy massage and the girl couldn't have been nicer. If your expirience had happened to me I would try to chalk it up to a misunderstanding and try to focus on the great spa treatment instead of the perceived bad treatment by the spa personnel.

I agree that the laughter wasn't directed at you but like Shelly I understand how you must have felt especially since it was your first experience.

I do think it was very unprofessional of the therapist.

It's easy after the fact to think of things to say or do but at the moment....

Anyway, glad the facial was relaxing. I would try to focus on that memory and let the bad moment fade.:grouphug:

Dear -- "blushing in flushing"
Now that is worthy of a good laugh! :rotfl:

To the OP: I don't know whether the young lady in the spa was being incredibly immature, rude and unprofessional or if she was in fact laughing at something else, but the bottom line is that it was your first spa experience and instead of being relaxing and wonderful, it was uncomfortable for you. I've been to a couple of spas (though not to the one at SSR) and I can assure you that is not the norm. I hope you'll give it another try sometime and I'm really sorry this happened to you, whether it was directed at you or not.

1) I seriously doubt they were laughing at you.
2) CM's frequently joke with onanother and with guests.
3) It was probably just a case of poor timing.

Having been to the SSR Spa, I agree with others and say that it was bad timing. Last time we were there, DH was waiting for me and yukking it up with the front desk CMs. They are Disney CMs and like to laugh--with each other and guests.

I hope you can go again some time.

You were there and none of us were. However, if you were going to address it, it had to be done at the time. Once you decided not to speak to a manager at that point, your decision was made IMO. Sorry you were uncomfortable whether it was directed at you or innocent.

My guess is they were not talking about you...

Perception sometimes makes people see things in a way where they interpret innocent comments or actions negatively.

When I worked at TGI Fridays back in the dark ages they called A chicken fetuccini a Fet Chick and when an order was first given to the cooks they would say "Walking in....<insert order>.

So as a larger lady walked in and happened to walk near the kitchen she heard 'Walkin in One Fet Chick' and thought she heard One Fat Chick walking in.

The woman complained, her husband was so upset he almost attacked the manager and it was all over a misunderstood order.

I am always uncomortable walking into and waiting at the spa. It always feels like there is some secret spa handshake or code I don't know and I worry about making a "spa etiquette mistake" because I know I'm a spa poser. Like - underwear on or off? :confused3

It takes about 15 minutes into a treatment before I can relax.

Just have to say that I hate it when that happens! I agree with others that it was probably just a timing thing but then again, you were there and it made you feel uncomfortable. I do think it was unprofessional and that if you get some type of comment card from the spa, you would be well within your rights to list your experience and how it made you feel as a comment!

I think they were happy employees and due to this being your first spa treatment, and obviously being on edge, you took it the wrong way.

Believe me they have seen everything and I seriously doubt you gave them any reason to laugh at you.

Now me on the other hand I have given them several Candid Camera moments. ;)

We just returned from a trip to WDW and my wife and a friend went to both the spa at SSR and the one at GF and for what its worth they both enjoyed the SSR spa better. Which kind of surprised me but it also made me happy since we are DVC members. They had nothing but good things to say. The only comment that surprised me was the cost of the products used. Some over 100.00 per bottle.

Thank you all for your comments. The Fet Chick story was very funny and I can see how a person could misunderstand the situation. I hope this reply gets through since I have been having trouble staying logged on. Thanks again.

Was there any reason for her to laugh at you - were you naked, was your robe hanging open, did you have something stuck in your teeth?

Because I'm thinking three co-workers standing around waiting for a client were really most likely in the middle of a conversation and the laughter had nothing to do with you. If the person doing your facial had made any reference to it, I might think differently, but honestly, you know they see all kinds of people at the SSR spa - I really don't think they were laughing at you.

Then again, I wasn't there. Next time, it's up to you to say "What's so funny, girls?" and wait until you get an answer.

I agree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter