Utah

adkkev

hiking fool
Anyone have any camping recommendations for Utah? Not anywhere near Salt Lake City ... we're talking the southern half of the state. Anywhere you wouldn't camp?

We're considering a tenting vacation out there in early September this year.

What areas are you planning to visit? Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Grand Staircase/Escalante, Arches, etc? I haven't been to the campgrounds in Bryce/Zion/Capitol Reef/Arches for years, but they were typical National Park campgrounds - no power at the sites, but water, and roomy enough...and best of all, inside the parks! We went to all of those areas about 5 years ago, but we stayed at B&Bs instead of campgrounds. Grand Staircase/Escalante is a fairly primitive area - I'm not sure what might be available there for campgrounds.

I recommend a visit to Goblin Valley State Park - it's in between Capitol Reef and Arches, and you can stop there if driving between the two. Really interesting other-wordly rock formations - it was the location for the planet scenes in the movie Galaxy Quest.

First you have to define the "Southern half of the State". There are those who think that Utah stops at the southern Salt Lake County line.

Then what do you want to do? Visit National Parks, St. George, Lake Powell?

September can be cold, it can also be 100 degrees, plan for both. The nights will be cool to cold.

Most of the National Parks have campgrounds, if this is where you want to go, look into booking the campsites now. If you are going to the National Parks, look at the National Parks pass that you can order from the NPS website or buy at the gates, it is $80, is good for a year and gets you into the National Parks and National Recreation Areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter