VDH point chart and use year

planningjollyholiday

DIS Veteran
I know that points and dates adjust over time on charts, but do travel periods drastically change? I'm looking at end of August for VDH and it is considerably cheaper (163 points less for 2 bedroom) than VGC during the same period. I don't understand why they are so different. Also, when buying direct can you pick your use year?

I know that points and dates adjust over time on charts, but do travel periods drastically change? I'm looking at end of August for VDH and it is considerably cheaper (163 points less for 2 bedroom) than VGC during the same period. I don't understand why they are so different.
A lot of us wonder, too. It’s possible for them to reallocate points across the year, but any increase in one place has to be balanced by a decrease somewhere else. And there’s a limit on how big of an increase can occur each year. It took 3 years for them to reallocate WDW resorts to make the autumn months more expensive and summer less expensive.
Also, when buying direct can you pick your use year?
The guide will probably try to assign you a UY, but you should be able to get the one you want. Sometimes, if you’re buying near the end of your desired UY, you might have to wait until the new year starts to buy because they don’t have points until then.

I know that points and dates adjust over time on charts, but do travel periods drastically change? I'm looking at end of August for VDH and it is considerably cheaper (163 points less for 2 bedroom) than VGC during the same period. I don't understand why they are so different. Also, when buying direct can you pick your use year?
The WDW properties seem to follow the same seasons as a whole but you are correct, that is a pretty large discrepancy between VDH and VGC. Definitely worth it to stay in VDH if possible at that time. There is a certain percentage they're allowed to increase the points cost of rooms year over year but of course they won't just magically increase the total number of points in the resort so any increase will have a reciprocal decrease from somewhere else in that room category. As @CarolynFH said, you can choose your use year when buying direct but sometimes they will try and sell you the current use year they're pushing.

Last edited:
When the VDH point chart came out it was immediately clear that they didn’t look at the VGC one at all when making it.

I imagine over time the VGC one will move to follow more of the highs and lows of the VDH one but that’s purely speculative. They can’t increase or decrease the cost of a room more than 15% in a given year and they don’t historically seem to like to do even that. And they didn’t make any changes for 2025 which was surprising.

So who knows. But definitely things might change maybe.

When the VDH point chart came out it was immediately clear that they didn’t look at the VGC one at all when making it.

I imagine over time the VGC one will move to follow more of the highs and lows of the VDH one but that’s purely speculative. They can’t increase or decrease the cost of a room more than 15% in a given year and they don’t historically seem to like to do even that. And they didn’t make any changes for 2025 which was surprising.

So who knows. But definitely things might change maybe.

I believe it can move no more than 20% from year to year....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter